Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Reins

Sufjan Steven enthusiast

Tag: Rhys Halcyon

Coruscant’s underworld could be surprisingly predictable for those used to the pull of the city. Find a pattern, slip into the shadows without drawing attention, and you virtually became invisible. Not such a bad habit to develop.

Tamiko lifted a hand to pull up her hood, knuckles grazed from working long hours squared over broken speeders and the likes. Rolling her shoulder back habitually she cut through a throng of pedestrians with ease. Undoubtedly the girl was within her element here, walking the outskirts of the sprawling underworld she knew every inch of.

The district hummed in a pulse of activity, easy to get swept up in if you didn’t watch yourself. A familiar tight rope she’d long learned to walk. Hood drawn, her hands sunk into the frayed pockets of her jacket, walking the lanes with relative disinterest as she headed out to pick up some spare parts for the garage. Nothing more on the agenda.

Although perhaps that was about to change.

Last edited:

Rhys Halcyon

R
Rhys hadn't been back to Coruscant since... well, Coruscant. The other padawans hardly spoke of it, and to refer to the battle by anything other than a slight inference was to trigger a slew of terrible memories. The world that never sleeps was surprisingly better now all things considered, though he figured that only extended to the upper levels and not the underworld. He wasn't sure what world awaited him down there.

He hadn't received any permission to come to the galactic center, or leave Prosperity at all, but rules had held him back long enough. He was a Jedi now, maybe only a Padawan, sure, but he deserved to be out in the field as well. A Jedi gives no help though inaction, a teacher had once told him.

The turbolift descended from the top down many floors, to none in specific. Rhys stepped off as soon as he felt he was far enough down to make a difference, if he could at all. He was equipped in just plainclothes, trading a robe for a black hoodie and jeans. Most if not all of the figures he passed who wore hoods had them up as a kind of statement to their secrecy. Rhys's own hood hung over his back, bearing his whole likeness to the underworld. That would have been a statement in itself, had he not been openly carrying his lightsaber. That weapon was the real statement, and it warned to give the boy a wide berth.

The boulevard was chaos, pure and simple. The neon streets were lined with debris and detritus, both material and organic, and in the middle of the street pedestrians vied for control with speeders, neither obeying any kind of legal structure. At the far end of the stretch he now walked, at an intersection, was what looked like some kind of security detail holding people up. From their dark uniforms emblazoned with a seal he'd never seen, it was easy enough to recognize they weren't with any government security arm. Whatever kind of justice they were meting out was of the street variety, so Rhys opted to steer clear.

He veered a hard right off the sidewalk and into an alley, though he didn't make it more than a minute before an electrified fence stopped his advance.

"HEY YOU!" Rhys jumped at the sound of an absolutely booming voice behind him. He snap around quickly and put his hands up. Before him were two Ithorians, one with a shotgun pointed directly at him.

"You're new blood." the one with the gun, who sounded like he'd called him out, waved the shotgun around a bit as if he was gesturing to Rhys as a whole.

"Was... that a question?" Rhys stuttered.

"No, it was a fact." the other one said grimly.

"What gave it away, the Lightsaber?"

"Anyone can get one of those if they know where to look. Even a welp like you. But the fact you didn't see two armed Ithorians tailing you? Dead give away."

"But only one of you is armed."

But Rhys spoke too soon. Both Ithorians smirked, and the supposedly unarmed one reached for a vibroknife on the gunman's belt, arming himself. The blade hummed to life in his hand. Rhys gulped down a heavy fear and straightened his back for a fight like he'd always been tought.

"This block belongs to the Ithorians. There's a tax. I think that little saber of yours would cover it."

Rhys took the hilt of his saber in his hands, but didn't ignite it yet. A Jedi was supposed to be able to defuse situations like this.

"Can't we talk about this, fellas?"

"Pay up and you can say whatever you please. Call yourself Chancellor Tithe for all I care."

"You know, a Jedi isn't much of a Jedi without his weapon."

"Smallfry, I don't think your much of a Jedi anyway. Give it up."

Rhys gripped the saber tighter, and finally activated it's bright yellow blade.

"Come and get it then."

At his request, the Ithorians happily closed in on him...

Tamiko Sabo Tamiko Sabo

Sufjan Steven enthusiast

It wasn't long before a particularly strident voice drew Tamiko out of her conditioned solace. The scuffle paired with the mechanical whirr of an implanted translator struggling to keep up with alien speech.

The Ithorian ring, typical. Their ironfist authority around these parts practically had them tripping on power. And they never missed an opportunity to abuse it.

Assholes sure, but could she really claim any moral superiority? Herself some lowly pickpocket harboring more than enough indifference to walk past whatever scene was rapidly unfolding without a second glance.

But something held the kid in place, blinking in a moment of deliberation. It would be universally stupid to interfere. That grew more obvious the longer she eavesdropped. But whether it was underlying resentment or some hidden righteousness the girl couldn't just drop it.

Admittedly ill-prepared she shook her head in slight disbelief at herself before slipping down the alley. Small-fry really ran himself into a dead end hadn't he? With something of an amused snort she lifted a hand to knock against the concrete wall, effectively announcing herself.

"Hey there." The introduction came with all the nonchalance she could muster, fighting to keep her confidence steady as she stared down the two Ithorian men.

The girl shot a glance back towards Rhys, saber drawn in anticipation of the brewing fight she'd so prematurely interrupted. Course the blind pickpocket couldn't really see him, but his mix of fear and adrenaline choked the air nonetheless. Granting her the incredibly relatable image of a kid way in over his head.

He was certainly interesting. Jedi usually didn't venture this far down without more emphasis on discretion. Still he'd managed to stand his ground so far, something she couldn't help but give him credit for.

With a blink she returned her attention to the two beasts themselves, forcing down the immediate intimidation rekindling as she faced them. This could easily go badly, likely would. But in the moment impulsivity won out.

"You guys really tank the market for tourism down here y'know that?" Words rhetorical, she loosened a grin. It was a naked stalling tactic, a play to give the kid some time to collect herself. She had a plan right?

"Think you might be jumping the gun on this one. Unless you're really chasing an eternal grudge with the Jedi Order." She tipped her head in the direction of Rhys, briefly acknowledging him with a glance before returning her attention to the two men, emboldened,"Sounds bad for business, but what do I know."

With a loose shrug she dawned a shroud of confidence, blood pumping in anticipation."I'd suggest you drop it."

Suddenly humorless, the words lost all semblance of the sarcastic persona she'd taken up. A leveled delivery which Tamiko subsequently followed by freeing a dagger from her boot. Resurfacing with a comfortable grip. Not a direct threat, but enough to show she was serious. And if anything, to draw attention away from Rhys. Maybe the Ithorian would shoot her point blank and this would all be for nothing. Either way something compelled her to risk it.

Tamiko shot a final glance back at Rhys as is signaling him to act. Make an escape, maybe put that lightsaber to good use, whatever the kid felt up for. She just willed him not to cower there.

Rhys Halcyon

R
With the kind of sudden convenience that made Rhys really believe the Force was with him, another appeared behind the Ithorians. She clearly wasn't with them, and by the way she talked to them, she was there to help. Rhys really hoped so anyway. Whoever this chick was, she meant business, wasting no time with brandishing her own knife.

"She's right man. I'm big time in the Jedi Order!" Rhys blurted. He knew full well that was a lie, but they didn't, or at least he hoped they were stupid enough for his desperate words to give them pause.

The quieter Ithorian, still with his vibroknife trained on Rhys, opened his mouth once again, "It's time to shut up, kid."

Rhys gripped his hilt tighter. He was getting noticeably sweaty on his hands and forehead. It was really now or never. Feth... he really had to act like a Jedi now.

"I could say the same to you." With a spring of his heels, Rhys leaped into the air and drove his foot towards the Ithorian's neck, just below it's eyes. With a deft strike he knocked the vibroblade from the man's hand with his lightsaber, careful not to injure the man needlessly. The Ithorian did not return the courtesy.

Long fingers on the end of a muscular arm wrapped around his other foot and twisted, swinging the entire boy away and tossing him into a pile of garbage by the alley wall. Rhys' lightsaber clanged to the ground and rolled into a puddle. The gunman made a very quick 180 for his size in reaction to Rhys' bold move.

"You're an idiot. Soon to be a dead idiot."

What they didn't realize was that Rhys was only the distraction.

Tamiko Sabo Tamiko Sabo

Sufjan Steven enthusiast

Rhys was admittedly quick to act, however short lived his attack turned out to be. It reassured her slightly.

That and the fact the opening he left in his wake was gaping.

Her attack went unannounced, sweeping a leg under the gunman who reeled back in response. He likely would have remained rooted in place by sheer strength if he had any anticipation of the move, but Rhys and his impulsivity had given the Ithorian practical tunnel vision.

Before his shock could turn to imminent rage Tamiko ducked beneath the barrel of the gun, bearing her weight down on his foot while simultaneously forcing the gun from his hands. Finger on the trigger he loosened a round in retaliation as Tamiko grappled with the stock. The Ithorian barely recoiling against the impact as a series of bullets embedded themselves into the surrounding walls.

But that was the extent of the damage, the rifle trading possession soon after as Tamiko finally wrestled it free. It was all but useless in her hands, but at least there was one less weapon out of the mix.

For all of a couple seconds.

The other Ithorian rounded on her, a stocky forearm slamming the kid against the wall with an audible thud. Pinned against the rifle she pushed back with gritted teeth, only managing to slip free with a well placed kick to the abdomen.

Taking the rifle with her she moved towards Rhys as the Ithorian doubled over. Gripping her newly injured shoulder with a slight grimace, she stared down the now disarmed men. The next move was to either flee or further incapacitate them. And she had every intention on the first.

Instinctively she offered Rhys a hand, kicking the lightsaber towards where he lay recovering on the ground. "He'll be right if you don't get your ass up."

Rhys Halcyon

R
Rhys lay upon the garbage heap with mouth agape as he watched Tamiko swiftly dispatch the thugs. He could taste the metallic bitterness of blood. Where did she learn to fight like that?, he wondered.

As she approached Rhys he could see she was wounded, well worse than he was. Before he could recover his lightsaber with the Force the girl booted it towards him. The Padawan picked it up and wiped the slimy alley water off onto the hip of his hoodie. With his other hand he took hers and she wrenched the boy up out of the garbage.

"Lets get outta here."

Rhys, still holding Tamiko's hand, bolted for the entryway of the alley and dragged her along. His head spun with the momentum of his getting up and dashing. At the street he turned them down the way he had initially come. Once they were in the crowd, he clipped his saber back onto his belt and plunged his hands into his pockets.

"Kark. That was rough. I am such an idiot." the boy clutched his right temple with his fingers.

"I... I.. oh. I suppose I should thank you. A lot, actually. Thank you a lot. Any longer I'd be a prime candidate for getting kicked out of the Jedi. or I'd be dead. I'm.. uh.. Rhys. If thats matters to you."

Tamiko Sabo Tamiko Sabo

Sufjan Steven enthusiast

They took off without any deliberation, leaving the Irthoians to recover from their sudden defeat. Admittedly surprised at being pulled along, she quickly regained her own footing alongside him, trying to gauge what direction they happened to be barreling down.

Coming to a halt, at least partially concealed by a swarm of pedestrians, she regarded him for the first time. Jedi was it?

But he beat her to the punch with an opening line that prompted a dry chuckle, "At least you're self-aware," The girl crossed her arms with a look of nonchalance, easing through the ache in her shoulder. "I wouldn't stick around If I were you.“ Gesturing to the lightsaber something akin to curiosity crossed her face.“Considering you're carrying an open invitation to be mugged."

Brushing past his gratitude and withholding her own name, her hands found their place in the pockets of her jacket.

"So that whole Jedi shtick wasn't just a half-assed intimidation tactic?" The lightsaber certainly started to make more sense, but she still had her burning questions."What are you doing off your pedestal then? Your kind usually don‘t sink this low."

Tamiko wouldn't deny much less try and conceal the reservations she harbored towards the Jedi. The distrust was a natural product of living in the Order's shadow for so long. All she knew them to be were high and mighty wizards reserved for the upper levels.

Rhys certainly didn't meet those standards.

Whether he relinquished any information or not she shifted, briefly looking over her shoulder as if that offered any real sense of their current safety.

Rhys Halcyon

R
The girl was right about his lightsaber. As she drew attention to it, a few passersby looked on in a mixed of fright and wonder, hurrying their footsteps to get away from the Jedi. Rhys quickly unhooked it from his belt and stuffed it into his hoodie pocket, where it was at least a little more concealed than before.

As she walked past him he turned along with her, half expecting her to already be lost in the crowd. She seemed like a native, like the kinda girl who could slip away quietly like that. Yet, she was still there.

"It wasn't a gimmick. I'm a Jedi. Not a great one, it seems." Rhys slouched his shoulders and rubbed the back of his head.

"But you're right. We don't get down here enough, not since our temple got," he swallowed a lump in his throat, "...attacked. I thought maybe I could change that." who was he kidding? A kid, fresh out of youngling class. He didn't have the chops for this place. But she did.

He could sense her in the Force, faintly. He wasn't sure if that came down to a weak aura on her end or a poor ability on his. It often seemed to be the latter. He knew there were plenty of rogue Force sensitives in the galaxy at large, not beholden to any sect of the Jedi or the Sith. She didn't seem dark, not at all like the Sith of the Maw he'd encountered. And if she was a Sith, well, she simply wouldn't have saved him. To say the least he was intrigued by the girl...

Tamiko Sabo Tamiko Sabo

Sufjan Steven enthusiast

Tamiko blinked at his mention of the attack. She'd heard rumors of the sort, of something that finally shook the Jedi to their core. But if Rhys was anything of an example, it seemed they were trudging along fine. Or at least recovering on an incline.

Almost brushing past it, realization of how implicative his words had been settled in a moment later. The temple didn't just stand as some religious monolith to gawk at. For many it served as the basis of their lives, practically a home.

Who would want to stay topside when all that surrounded them was a minefield of painful memories? She outwardly paused if only for a second. Discomfort often drove people to seek distractions, that she understood.

Tamiko pushed past the thought, trying to bury any leaks of empathy. A feeling that almost caught her off guard.

"Ah, a revolutionist." Quirking an eyebrow in feigned admiration she responded to his mention of wanting change. A bit sarcastically at that. In truth, it unearthed another surprise. Just how relatable Rhys was revealing to be. He was a kid after all. Maybe the characteristic self righteousness of the Jedi took awhile to be fully indoctrinated.

She didn't want to give the kid more evaluation than some clueless tourist dipping into waters he knew nothing off. But there was a genuine want for good in him, almost instinctive. As if it had more substance than just navietty.

Maybe paired with a sense of direction he could actually do some good.

"What was your plan then, to make friends with the natives?" Cocking her head back in the direction they'd come she shot him somewhat of an amused look "Going great for you so far."

Hands finding their place at her hips she shook her head in slight disbelief. "You‘re seriously lost." With a pause she looked back up at Rhys, "What exactly are you looking to do?"

Rhys Halcyon

R
Though clearly she wasn't much older than him, she asserted herself admirably well. He didn't here the same lost tone in her voice that filled his own. He figured it came with living down here. It wasn't a safe place in the underworld, or out in the wider galaxy for that matter. Just about everywhere he'd stepped foot in the last year threatened death. If she really was a native of this place, she probably knew the feeling.

"Ah, a revolutionist."

"I'm just doing what I've been taught. Jedi are supposed to help people." Rhys' words carried a conviction that even he was a little startled to hear let loose from his lips. It was an affirmation that he was on the right path, even if that path wasn't clear cut. Subconsciously he knew this, even if his waking mind was jumbled with the stresses of youth and wartime. He might have been too young to go and fight in the Unknown Regions, but he couldn't just sit idly by.

"You‘re seriously lost." With a pause she looked back up at Rhys, "What exactly are you looking to do?"

"Well... I hadn't quite thought that far ahead." he mumbled. "A Jedi is supposed to be ready for any situation. I sure found myself in one, so I guess that counts for something." Rhys chuckled a bit at his own words, trying to ease the tension. His heart was still racing from the encounter. It would take some practice before he could walk away from a fight like that as calm as the girl was. "Why are you so interested anyway? There has to be some reason you saved me."

He looked around the crowded streets, filled with brutes and ill intent. None of those people would have saved him, he could tell. They would have just walked on by. But this one in front of him? She was different, somehow.

Tamiko Sabo Tamiko Sabo

Sufjan Steven enthusiast

"I'm just doing what I've been taught. Jedi are supposed to help people."

His conviction wasn't lost on her.

“What makes you think we need your help?” Narrowing her eyes, her gaze shifted over Rhys “Much less want it.” She’d been semi-confrontational from the beginning, but this came across with more weight. As if she was searching for confirmation that Rhys was as close-minded as the Jedi were known to be.

"Why are you so interested anyway? There has to be some reason you saved me."

His question caused her to pause, though realistically she should have had an answer at the ready. Bit of an obvious statement was it not? After all, why pull a stunt like that without some clear motivation. Especially for some outsider like Rhys.

“Wasn’t going to pass up an opportunity to screw with those bastards.” Shrugging she pointedly moved forward, offering a surface-level response. “Someone has to remind them they aren’t indestructible.” Well..technically the truth. She did partially act out of acrimony, a slight sting of bitterness inherent in her words. But there was something else she shrugged off, refusing to acknowledge.

Instead she hailed resentment as the sole motivator. Yeah that sounded right. Some shallow emotion she could impulsively act on. There definitely wasn't any emotional burden in leaving someone for dead. After all who cared about human decency down here?

Blinking up at Rhys she found it harder to convince herself of that.

Reasonably she should hate him, some naïve, oblivious kid who probably thought stooping to this level made him a hero. But whatever way she warped it, she felt that wasn’t an honest assumption.

“Plus,” she tilted her head, donning a mask of indifference, “Who wouldn’t be interested, you’re an anomaly down here. Which is saying something.” After a moment of deliberation she blinked, gaze perpetually guarded, “You plan on sticking around?”

Rhys Halcyon

R
Her reasoning seemed true enough. It didn't really matter what she said. He was grateful all the same. Gratitude was in short supply. That was one thing he wished to change. People had lost respect in the Jedi, and the Jedi had to show they had not lost respect for the common man. But she was right: he was an anomaly, and a padawan alone was not he kind of watchman this place needed, or deserved.

“You plan on sticking around?”

"No, probably not," he defeatedly looked at his feet, then scanned the crowd around them again. "those thugs will catch up with me. Or something worse will happen. I think coming down here was a mistake. You said it yourself: I'm lost. I'm not meant to be here."

It took a lot of courage to admit to himself that he had really failed his task, whatever that really was. His masters at the temple had taught him failure was natural, but Rhys felt as though the Jedi could possibly lose anymore than they were at this point in time. Every victory against the Sith seemed hollow, their numbers only growing as the Jedi's diminished. The NJO needed to really make a difference where it counted. But a Padawan of a few months didn't have that power. As Rhys caught his breath and his heart slowed to a normal pace, he realized it was time to go. Where? he wasn't sure. Training was boring, but he needed it. He needed to become the kind of Jedi who could make a difference.

"There are Jedi who will come to do what they should down here. I know it. Just... not me.

Tamiko Sabo Tamiko Sabo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom