Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Power of Friendship and the Force

Is the power of friendship a dark-sided ability?

• Total voters
So, I had a thought earlier today and I decided to make it everyone else's problem.

As we know, the Jedi aren't exactly very fond of personal attachments. So I was thinking about the 'power of friendship' trope and how it relies on one's bonds. In particular, their passion for said bonds. And IIRC, Jedi aren't exactly fond of extreme passion, either.

Anyhows, that got me thinking. The 'power of friendship' uses both of those things that Jedi are not exactly fond of. Would that classify it as something drawn from the dark side, considering the intense passions required to use it?

( If anyone wants to thoroughly and violently debunk my ramblings, please do so. )

The whole "Jedi aren't allowed to have attachments" thing is one of the dumbest concepts in all of Star Wars a little overblown in most cases. Clearly they do have attachments, because they have a master-apprentice system wherein students are encouraged to bond with their teachers. Obi-Wan describes Anakin as "a good friend", so I think it's safe to say the Jedi have utilized the power of friendship plenty of times.

The whole "Jedi aren't allowed to have attachments" thing is one of the dumbest concepts in all of Star Wars a little overblown in most cases. Clearly they do have attachments, because they have a master-apprentice system wherein students are encouraged to bond with their teachers. Obi-Wan describes Anakin as "a good friend", so I think it's safe to say the Jedi have utilized the power of friendship plenty of times.
True, but I also really like the concept of a Sith who is just so stupidly passionate about his friends he does the exact same thing.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Nah, the Jedi have moved away from that 'don't have attachments' rule, mainly because Luke flushed that concept down the toilet and likely mirrored that opinion in his own lessons/academy. Generally, I think it's a neutral thing, because even Sith - narcissistic as they are - can have attachments, too, which can give them good ol' power ups like Jedi.

Anime-moment power ups for everyone!

Nah, the Jedi have moved away from that 'don't have attachments' rule, mainly because Luke flushed that concept down the toilet and likely mirrored that opinion in his own lessons/academy. Generally, I think it's a neutral thing, because even Sith - narcissistic as they are - can have attachments, too, which can give them good ol' power ups like Jedi.

Anime-moment power ups for everyone!
fellas, is it sith to love your friends?

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
fellas, is it sith to love your friends?
Attachment could also manifest as possessiveness, reverence, awe, loyalty, blah blah, which can apply to Sith - sure.

Palpatine had loyalty to Plagueis, to learn his teachings... until he didn't.

Bane was possessive of his one and only Apprentice, because he had slaughtered what remained of the Sith, and instituted the rule of two... and had selected Zannah.

But, Matt, Bohatei made a haha about loving Sith-homies: Vader loved Padme so much he killed her. Oops.

I stand by what I said.

Attachment could also manifest as possessiveness, reverence, awe, loyalty, blah blah, which can apply to Sith - sure.

Palpatine had loyalty to Plagueis, to learn his teachings... until he didn't.

Bane was possessive of his one and only Apprentice, because he had slaughtered what remained of the Sith, and instituted the rule of two... and had selected Zannah.

But, Matt, Bohatei made a haha about loving Sith-homies: Vader loved Padme so much he killed her. Oops.

I stand by what I said.
remember to force choke your homies goodnight

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom