Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Politics & The Life

Tagging: Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell

Tycho stepped out of the turbolift, just behind his fellow CEO. The view of the planet below through the massive transparisteel windows was nothing short of spectacular, and the Chiss couldn't help but smile at the sheer novelty of it. Never let it be said that Judah Dashiell lacked taste. The view from his office window seemed downright quaint by comparison, with its rolling fields of amber grain. He nodded gratefully to Judah's personal assistant. It was one thing that they differed on; Tycho preferred to handle his own business, even if that meant a lot of delegating. And a lot of signing. Goddamn, did his hand ever get tired. Maybe he should hire an assistant.

"A pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Datos," he told her.

Moments later, he followed Judah into his office. This seemed a little more his style; Tycho was much the same way with his own office, sans the photos of a young man that he assumed was Judah's son. It was nice to see that the two were in business together in some capacity, even if he couldn't help but wonder if the young Dashiell's ambitions lined up entirely with his father's expectations. Still, that was his own history talking.

"If you've got any Corellian whiskey," Tycho requested, taking a seat in one of the chairs by Judah's desk, "I'd love to have a glass, thanks." In truth, he'd prefer a Dantooinian vintage-- it was a unique taste, slightly less metallic than the Corellian equivalent-- but those weren't very common to find off-world.

"I can guarantee I have Corellian whisky"

Judah wasn't much of a drinker, if at all most times, bottles gifted by clients and others typically unused for the most part. A small rattling of bottles as he looked through and pulled out the correct type of alcohol and two glasses. Amber liquid was poured and he left the bottle on the desk, just in case, as he took a seat in his typical spot.

Chair leaned back a little and he regarded the Chiss man across from him. There wasn't really any business to handle, that seemed settled and Mrs.Datos was finishing up the contracts now. Typically small talk was reserved at the beginning of a meeting but it wrapping up with such a formality actually seemed better in his mind.

No wasted time if something didn't work out on the business front.

"How's life? What is it looking like in your sector of the galaxy?"

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

As soon as the last drop had found its way into Tycho's glass, he took the glass between his thumb and forefinger and lifted it to Judah in appreciation. A small sip was all that was necessary when it came to Corellian whiskey; the familiar burn took him back to his days in the service, to a bottle being passed around a bonfire in a Wookiee village.

"How's life? What is it looking like in your sector of the galaxy?"

Satisfied that the business part of their dealing was concluded, the Chiss allowed himself to relax a little. He sat back in the chair, one elbow resting on the arm. "Well, all things considered, I'd say it's been pretty quiet. I'm very thankful for that," Tycho explained. "We're about as far away from the Alliance as we are from the Order and the Empire, so no one really bothers us in that neck of the woods. Every now and again, the Empire might send a fleet movement up and down the Braxant Run, but they never stop at Dantooine."

He took another sip from his glass, letting the whiskey burn his tongue for just a moment. "What about you, old man?" Tycho asked. The new title was accompanied with a smirk that tugged at one of his gaunt cheeks. "What's a day in the life of Judah Dashiell look like?"

Not much of a drinker, Judah took a sip of the whisky but planned on mostly nursing the liquid in the glass. He fiddled with the glass as he listened to Tycho talk about the golden area his company seemed to be in. Judah didn't pay much attention to where the boundary lines of governments were unless he was headed out somewhere new ; if the company was expanding. He tended to avoid much of the areas with Sith activity but sometimes it was unavoidable.

Always a calculated risk not to draw anyone's ire. Seemed as if ValeCorp was of similar mind.

He took another sip from his glass, letting the whiskey burn his tongue for just a moment. "What about you, old man?" Tycho asked. The new title was accompanied with a smirk that tugged at one of his gaunt cheeks. "What's a day in the life of Judah Dashiell look like?"

Judah left out a soft chuckle of laughter, both at the nickname and the question. The conversation was going similar to the monthly ones he had with Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau , a healthy mix of banter mixed with business concerns and family updates. If he had to hazard a guess, the Chiss and the Trade Queen would get along quite well. Perhaps an introduction in the future.

"I would like to tell you I jump out of bed each morning and conquer the 'verse and a bunch of other nonsense one reads in business interviews. Not happening at this age. Same as everyday, check the news, check my schedule, get to work. I can't say I lead some exciting life of power lunches, nightclubs, and random women."

Shoulders shrugged.

"Can't be of much service if you're looking for a wing man. I'd be a horrific one to begin with, out of practice."

The day that Judah was describing sounded almost identical to one of his own. The days of danger and adventure were long behind Tycho; now, it almost felt like every day was exactly the same. Get up at the crack of dawn, go for a run, shower, eat breakfast, sit down at his desk, check his holomail, make some calls. Rinse, repeat. It was why meetings like this were so great; they offered a substantial break from the routine.

"I'll try to keep that in mind," Tycho chuckled, "just in case the compulsion for power lunches, nightclubs and random women ever overtakes me. Not really my style, either. I think I'd make a fool out of myself on a dance floor. You ever see me try it, do me a favor: take me out back and shoot me."

It had been years since he had even stepped foot in a nightclub. And how long had it been since his last dalliance? Since before he took the reigns on the company, definitely. But that was life now, a series of mundanities that seemed to have no end. Plus, having someone sleep beside him would lead to unwanted questions.

"So... Your son?" Tycho asked, changing the subject and nodding to a holo of the younger Dashiell. "How's he doing?"

Not really my style, either. I think I'd make a fool out of myself on a dance floor. You ever see me try it, do me a favor: take me out back and shoot me."

"I won't shoot you but challenge accepted to see you get out and dance. I wonder how much alcohol it would take for you to hit the dance floor? I'm positive there's a conference or trade expo or some type of gala coming up and I plan to be there when this happens. I promise, no holos, just a lifetime of teasing."

It was hard to imagine the Chiss ever cutting loose on the dance floor or any type of club at all. Maybe the guy in the corner, sure. Then again, perhaps the other man had a wild streak in his youth. He wouldn't be surprised, although doctor-and-business man tended to give a certain stereotype about straight laced.

Judah looked at the holo Tycho nodded to and smiled broadly.

"All things considered, quite well. Currently failing a test I've laid before him but its only been a few months so maybe he's connecting the pieces. Or maybe he has it figured out and has something else planned. I'm not sure but we will see what comes of it. He's young, still learning."

Judah paused, taking another sip of whisky.

"I'm lucky to have him, couldn't have asked for a better kid. You have children? Someone to helm up the next generation of ValeCorp?"

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

"I won't shoot you but challenge accepted to see you get out and dance. I wonder how much alcohol it would take for you to hit the dance floor? I'm positive there's a conference or trade expo or some type of gala coming up and I plan to be there when this happens. I promise, no holos, just a lifetime of teasing."

"Right, the Galactic Economic Conference," Tycho replied. He was looking forward to the event on Manaan; getting a chance to meet and mingle with the greatest financial and commercial minds in the galaxy was simply too good to pass up. He had booked ValeCorp's attendance long in advance. "Well, I'll tell you, you'd need a hell of a lot of this whiskey. And I'd need to be about twenty-five years younger."

Listening to Judah talk about his son, and the apparent test he was putting him through, stirred up some old feelings within Tycho. Had his own father been testing him when he had offered him a cushy company position at age 18? With Dr. Alvys Vale, it was impossible to be sure; his father had always been good at concealing his true feelings, in business and in life. Still, he could tell by the way Judah spoke that he had nothing but love for his son. He was just showing it in his own way.

"I'm lucky to have him, couldn't have asked for a better kid. You have children? Someone to helm up the next generation of ValeCorp?"

The Chiss shook his head. "Not me, I'm afraid," he answered. All the turmoil and tribulations of his life had rendered children a far-off, distant idea, always put off, until one day he had woken up and realized he had gotten old. In his defense, he was definitely his father's son; Alvys had never taken a wife, never had any biological children. Tycho's arrival had been a "happy accident," as the good doctor was wont to call it.

"I spent twenty years married to the service, basically. And after that, I spent the next ten years married to ValeCorp," he said. He wasn't terribly torn up about it... but he did wonder what the future of ValeCorp would look like when he was gone. "Might sound crazy, but the company's my family. Hell, some of the people I work with have known me since I was about, eh, yea high or so," Tycho explained, holding his hand about four feet off the ground.

"I spent twenty years married to the service, basically. And after that, I spent the next ten years married to ValeCorp," he said. He wasn't terribly torn up about it... but he did wonder what the future of ValeCorp would look like when he was gone. "Might sound crazy, but the company's my family. Hell, some of the people I work with have known me since I was about, eh, yea high or so," Tycho explained, holding his hand about four feet off the ground.

"Nice to see your marriage lasted."

Judah couldn't help but joke at his own expense, it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Drink was drained on that note, lowball glass coming to rest on the expansive desk.

He reflected on Tycho's explanation of the company being his family. In a way, he wondered if his own son saw the company in that manner. Makai had grown up with many of the long-term employees, Zej and Mrs.Datos most notably, and was now curious if his son had the same affinity. Given the nature of Salacia and his son having by by his side for a good portion of the business, it was a real possibility.

"No, its not crazy. It makes perfect sense, your father built it from the ground up so I imagine there quite a few who saw you grow up. I get it to a point. There are long-term employees I've spent more time around than my own extended family, you get that relationship. I imagine for my son it might be something akin to your experience, same situation it sounds. Its nice to hear your experience on that front has been so positive."

"I'll have to come by your headquarters sometime soon, arrange for you to meet a friend of mine. I think you two would hit it off well."

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

"Nice to see your marriage lasted."

A grin sprouted on Tycho's face at the joke, accompanied by a laugh. Internally, however, he could tell that the joke had a little personal relevance to Judah. Maybe that explained why Makai's mother was going unmentioned. Whatever the case, he wouldn't pry; a man had rights to his secrets, and marriage was something to which Tycho was completely inexperienced.

Except for those three hours in a chapel on Cato Neimoidia... but that had been annulled.

"Yeah, exactly. Just don't ask Jiann about all the trouble I got into back home," Tycho replied. "Hell, I probably spent more time grounded than I did ungrounded, back then."

"I'll have to come by your headquarters sometime soon, arrange for you to meet a friend of mine. I think you two would hit it off well."

"By all means, let me know when you and your friend wanna stop by," Tycho agreed after another, final sip of whiskey. "Tell me about this friend of yours. I'm always looking for a good opportunity to network."

"By all means, let me know when you and your friend wanna stop by," Tycho agreed after another, final sip of whiskey. "Tell me about this friend of yours. I'm always looking for a good opportunity to network."

"We will have dig deeper into logistics, but a visit is a definite. I don't believe I've been to Dantooine....if I have it was back in the military days. Not sure."

Brow furrowed as he thought about it. Most likely not, he didn't have a real reason to visit the sector as far as he could remember. Of course, with ValeCorp a new partner in business he imagined trips would be more frequent. Plus there was the matter of seeing how their research department was set up and if ValeCorp was interested in giving up any tips - for a price, of course.

"The friend, Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau , of Arceneau Trade Corporation. I'm sure she'd love to network, never passes up an opportunity to sell you something, I guarantee you'll be forking over credits not long after a meeting. I think she might be interested in your personal bacta strain, although who am I to say?Personally you've struck gold there, even at a wholesale rate."

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

"The friend, Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau , of Arceneau Trade Corporation. I'm sure she'd love to network, never passes up an opportunity to sell you something, I guarantee you'll be forking over credits not long after a meeting. I think she might be interested in your personal bacta strain, although who am I to say? Personally you've struck gold there, even at a wholesale rate."

He blinked, recognizing the name right away. Although ValeCorp had yet to do business with the ATC, it was definitely something that had been on his mind. The Trade Queen herself was notorious in the galaxy for wheeling and dealing, picking up smaller companies and bringing them into the fold. Although Tycho had no interest in selling ValeCorp, a partnership with Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau could mean big things for the company. New contracts, new avenues, new trade lanes. And potentially, a new buyer for his new bacta strain.

"Hey, I'm more than willing to hand over some creds for good product," Tycho answered. "And from what I hear, ATC's got the best. Next time you see Danger, tell her that Tycho says hi and he's looking to make a trade."

The Chiss sat the empty glass down on Judah's desk, then leaned back in his chair. Judah had said something that caught his attention, and Tycho chose now to circle back around to it.

"So, you're a military man too, huh?" Of course, the phrase military was broad enough to encompass nearly anything these days. "Where'd you serve?"

"I'll tell her you said hello, should be seeing her shortly."

There was the matter to sort out with Maramere after all.

"So, you're a military man too, huh?" Of course, the phrase military was broad enough to encompass nearly anything these days. "Where'd you serve?"

"Galactic Alliance."

Judah shook his head. He wasn't quite sure how he survived the entire ordeal to be honest, perfect soldier he was not. The life hadn't agreed with him, the work and discipline was fine, it was just the other trappings of war. After the incident with the nanodroids, he had been more than excited to get out of that life and stay out, leading to Salacia.

"Fighter pilot, I was absolutely horrible at it. Lucky I'm alive."

A pause.

"I really only joined to have the ability to leave Saleucami and help my parents at the time. Didn't grow up with a lot so my options were limited. Once I saw a way to leave, I did. In my youthful wisdom, I figured it couldn't be all that bad. In a way, that was right, but long term? Definitely not me in the slightest. I have a great deal of respect for those who stay in for decades."

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

He took a moment to peer at the man across the desk, trying to imagine what he might have looked like in his younger days-- less wrinkles, less facial hair, all of it capped off by an orange-visored pilot's helmet. He could see it, even if Judah as he was now didn't retain much, if any, of that military bearing. Tycho wondered if it was still visible in himself; gods knew he still carried over some habits from those days, but he had abandoned others. His long black hair never would have passed under regulations.

"Yeah, I joined up to get off Dantooine, too," Tycho agreed, nodding thoughtfully. The decision had been a rash one at the time, but he hadn't regretted it in the long term. "Although I admit, I was really just doing it to get away from my dad. He wanted me to take the reigns on the company, and I was..."

A petulant brat? A little shit? He looked for the right way to describe the teenaged Tycho.

"Not ready for it in the slightest," he finally concluded. "I'm glad for it, though. The corps straightened me out quick."

Judah looked amused at the explanation of the reasoning behind a young Tycho's actions in joining the military. Quite a tale as old as time ; getting out from underneaths a parents rule, trying to escape a small town life, adventure. Unlike himself, it had seemed the time spent in service put more of an impression on the Chiss, molded him into what he was today.

While the pair had just met, Judah considered Tycho already to be more than a business partner but a friend. Sometimes two people meeting for business just clicked, like himself and Danger, turning into a lifelong friendship. With this in mind, Judah felt a bit more empowered to ask the next question, wanting a chance for real perspective.

"Forgive me if I am out of line, and feel free not to answer, but you've mentioned your father a few times and the company. If I may venture a question?"

A slight pause.

"Did you feel he pushed you too far too fast? Or did he not give you enough free reign in your youth? Perhaps didn't take account of your outside interests?"

Now that was Makai was older, playing a balancing act was getting trickier. The boy had been working salvage lines during school breaks, taking private lessons in leadership and business from some of the Directors of Salacia. It was easier when he was younger, allowing his son to take interest on school breaks or when he wasn't with his friend. Now, he was playing the role of not only a father but also a boss.

"I only ask as a father seeking perspective. I gave Makai breathing room as he got older, let him make decisions that I didn't agree with. I ensured he went to university, studied what he wanted, lived the life of a typical young man. Now he's back and I'm easing him into Salacia and I feel he wants more but....I'd like your insight if there is anything you wished your own father had done different."

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

"Did you feel he pushed you too far too fast? Or did he not give you enough free reign in your youth? Perhaps didn't take account of your outside interests?"

Now there was the million credit question. How did Tycho feel about the way that he and his adoptive father had initially parted? Even after all these years, the memory still brought a little sting with it. They'd had a fight-- a big one-- and both of them had said things that couldn't be taken back, only apologized for later on down the line.

In truth, the Chiss felt that both he and his father shared equal parts of the blame. Dr. Alvys Vale had loved him-- but with that love came hopes, dreams and expectations that Tycho had been unable to live up to. Tycho had loved his father-- but with that love came a desire to crawl out from underneath his shadow, even if the light beyond was hot enough to burn him.

In their later years, they'd had long conversations about it, and had come to terms with it.

"Let me take a moment to put some of your concerns at ease, Judah,"
the Chiss said, leaning forward with a hand resting on his knees. Despite the short time that they had known each other, Judah already felt like a friend-- he could tell that the man had both a good head and a good heart, he was just trying to navigate an emotionally fraught situation. Hopefully, Tycho could help.

"I think you're doing better than my dad did in that regard. It sounds like you're giving Makai the space he needs to figure out who he is, become his own person. And it sounds like Makai wants to be here, or I assume he wouldn't be," the Chiss explained. "My dad, gods bless him... he wanted to take care of me in the only way he knew how. That meant living a life like his. You've already accepted that you and Makai won't be the same person, no matter how things shake out. So, like I said, I think you're doing good."

Still... One thing did nag at him. The test that Judah had mentioned.

"Just take this into mind, if you will. Sometimes, a young man can learn more from a test he fails than a test he passes. Am I making sense?"

Judah poured them both another drink as the Chiss began to talk. He had a feeling he may need it, if Tycho felt he was straying off the rails with his son then there would be a great deal to consider. A lot to change. He wasn't going to risk Makai losing a relationship with his only parent just because of a desire to have him involved with the company.

"I think you're doing better than my dad did in that regard. It sounds like you're giving Makai the space he needs to figure out who he is, become his own person. And it sounds like Makai wants to be here, or I assume he wouldn't be," the Chiss explained. "My dad, gods bless him... he wanted to take care of me in the only way he knew how. That meant living a life like his. You've already accepted that you and Makai won't be the same person, no matter how things shake out. So, like I said, I think you're doing good."

Still... One thing did nag at him. The test that Judah had mentioned.

"Just take this into mind, if you will. Sometimes, a young man can learn more from a test he fails than a test he passes. Am I making sense?"

He stayed silent, fiddling with the lowball glass as Tycho spoke. It was rare he meet someone his same age with the forthrightness in terms of growing up in the business, who could give perspective on their years trying to figure out who they were as an adult.

"No, I agree. I've failed many a test in life that turned out to be better than succeeding. As for Makai, there's no real consequence to failing this test so to speak. More of....a chance to figure things out on his own. Or use his resources. If he fails, it only delays things in a timeline manner, there's nothing punitive behind it."

A sip of the whisky.

"I appreciate your candor. I know it was a lot to ask on a first meeting. Its rare to meet someone who wants to be honest about growing up in the shadow of their parent and a parents business. Thank you."

Tycho Vale Tycho Vale

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom