Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Politics Megathread

Can we get everyone to have this view point? I wish. Tegaea is right in that regard that on a personal level, it works wonders, and there will be people who will be amazing people for it (at least in my opinion). But damn it, we can get at least some of the population xD We can't get everyone to be like this, because nature is inconsistent, and from this, we will make mistakes. We can, however, get as many people as possible, and if after a few generations of teaching this frame of mind, we can at least make sure our great-grand children are better for it. This isn't something that can be done in one lifetime, or several, but in time, people can be all the better for it.

Valx Raizod

PkMn Trainer Red
I am a pretty conservative guy, and often take conservative views on a lot of political issues in the US, or involving the US. As far as increasing minimum wage, that is not necessarily a good thing. Inflation is not good. That would be like creating more coins and bills to let everyone be wealthy! The President wants to increase minimum wage to $9 an hour (last I read). What? no. That's isn't a smart idea. Nor is borrowing money from other countries.

On the topic of gun control, I think it matters who's hand you put a gun in. In the instance of Sandy Hook (don't crucify me, I know this is a sensitive topic, and I mean no harm by it) the man was mentally unstable and had access to weaponry. But, as Vice President Joe Biden said, "Restricting gun control will not eliminate it." It is just like drugs or alcohol in the prohibition, you tell someone they can't have it, it makes them want it more. It would just go underground. My family owns all sort of guns and knives. And no, we are not rednecks, I'm from Ohio. But the same thing could happen if someone had a bat, or axe, or chainsaw--whatever.

I went to Catholic school, my High School education was far superior to my college. Discipline was maintained; it was a privilege to attend. Public schools have lost discipline and their teachers have no authority. The students run the schools, parents sue and teachers are regulated by unions.

@[member="Judas"] Fine sentiments, but you will be waiting a long time.

@[member="Valx Raizod"]
The US’ problem is that they have so many weapons in the country that restricting new ones is difficult.
There is also something of an ideological obsession with weaponry which is hard for non-Americans to understand.

Meret Blackmoon said:
I went to Catholic school, my High School education was far superior to my college. Discipline was maintained; it was a privilege to attend. Public schools have lost discipline and their teachers have no authority. The students run the schools, parents sue and teachers are regulated by unions.
As an educator I can agree with this. The last few decades have seen an almost total reversal in the collective cultural mindset of people in America when it comes to education. In 1960 when a kid failed a class, it was his or her fault. Today, if a kid fails a class, the blame is instinctively shifted towards the teacher. What is the teacher doing wrong? How did the teacher fail the student? How can the teacher improve?

Plus, the problem goes so much deeper than just this. Today, public education is, effectively, a business. It is run by out-of-touch government bureaucrats looking for quantifiable data that they can put on a nice pie chart in an area that cannot be quantified, as well as the sick and depraved dogmatic insistence that "we are all equal", everyone is basically the same, and is capable of learning on the same level that causes children to be pushed ahead to further grades without merit by the insistence of the government, and in general makes the educational atmosphere indefinitely worse for both the smart and the stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom