Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The other Half

Jedi_Briefing_Room.png

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Tag: Capris Halcyon Capris Halcyon

"I'm glad you could make it," Valery told Capris Halcyon Capris Halcyon with a respectful bow of her head after the young woman arrived in the meeting room. Even though the Order was becoming far more numerous than it had been only years ago, Valery still made an effort to familiarize herself with her fellow Jedi and work with them on assignments. This wasn't her first meeting with Capris, but it would be their first mission one-on-one, and with her being Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble 's Padawan, she perhaps felt an even stronger urge to get to know her.

"Join me at the holo-table, and I'll explain what we'll be doing."

Once Capris was ready, Valery activated the projector and displayed a large map of the Galaxy. Different territories were made distinct with varying colors, and what stood out would likely be the reddened Maw territory, where one planet was highlighted — Mobus. "The Alliance is currently conducting a lot of missions to gain more intel about the Maw's defenses. We're wanting to strike back, so we need to know where and with what methods we can be most effective." Valery turned her gaze back to Capris and nodded.

"We'll be going to the Mobus, but we're not interested in the planet. Mobus has 18 moons and we recently discovered a structure on one that we'd like to investigate further. Find out if it's another listening post, or perhaps something else," Valery continued to explain. "We'll be taking-" She was interrupted by the sound of doors sliding open, and turned a more annoyed look in the direction of the doorway. A look that softened very quickly.

"Hey, mommy!" Vera called out now that she found her mother. She had just finished up her classes for the day, so she was dressed up in her initiate robes and held a datapad with notes and information shared by teachers. But she also held a sheet of paper, and Valery quickly seemed to focus on it because she knew what that likely meant.

"Hey sweetie, I'm in the middle of a briefing with Padawan Halcyon here." Valery looked in the Padawan's direction with a somewhat apologetic smile. Vera didn't seem to care, though, and hopped down the little staircase to reach her mother anyway. "I know, but I saw something and you didn't say bye yet." She pouted and looked up into Valery's fiery eyes.

"Awe, I'm sorry, little star." Valery crouched down and pulled her into an embrace that made Vera smile very brightly. "Well, why don't you say hi to Padawan Halcyon now that you're here, hm? She's Daddy's Padawan."

Vera perked up, turned around quickly, and grinned with pure Noble energy in Capris' direction. "Hello! I'm Vera! Uh... Initiate Noble!"

div-green.png
The situation quite possibly didn’t warrant her level of severity.

She’d been summoned, by Master Noble no less. But not her Master Noble. And just like their initial meeting, an obnoxious sense of anxiety rooted itself in place despite her numerous and fervent attempts to shake it. The kid was itching for the chance to prove herself no doubt. To flex her abilities and do some quantifiable good on the war front. But with that desire came the risk of side effects. Such as the mortal sin of failing to meet expectations.

Not that she’d project a silly little thing like insecurity out for the world to see. God-forbid.

Guided to the holo-projector Capris stiffly looked on as Valery proceeded to outline their mission’s parameters. Maw territory. Mobus. One of its 18 moons. Something sinister. Alright, great. All good things to be sure. At least if the glint of resolve dawning on her expression was anything to go by. It was only then, when they started to mine into the foremost details, that an interruption came barreling their way.

A kid? Ah, ok um. Capris spared a glance at the young initiate, flapping around her robes, totally incessant on speaking with her mom. Her mom being none other than Valery? Oh, yeah no that checks out. The padawan studied the young girl, a healthy blend of both Valery and Kahlil alike. Though with double the energy of either one.

Valery then sicked her on Capris.

The girl, Vera, offered a characteristically bubbly introduction. To which in response Capris offered a small awkward wave, a little too close to her body to be inviting. It wasn’t that she had some undisclosed aversion to kids, she just- really had no clue how to go about approaching them. “Uh- Hi there. Capris.”

There was a pause, bordering on uncomfortable until the padawan tossed out another terse line, “I uh- like your robes.”

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Jedi_Briefing_Room.png

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

Vera was completely oblivious to Capris' awkwardness and more uncomfortable response. She just grinned and stared at the Padawan with her multi-colored eyes. Especially the compliment seemed to brighten up her smile, and she even bounced up a little on her feet. "Thank you! Mommy picked them for me," she said as she glanced towards Valery, who had noticed Capris being a little out of her comfort zone.

She wasn't going to let Vera push things too far, but she figured it'd be a good idea for Capris to meet the daughter of her Master and his wife. They were likely going to run into each other more often, after all.

"Hey sweetie? You said that you saw something. Another vision?" Valery asked to take control of the conversation a little. Vera sharply turned around and grabbed her little drawing.

"Mhmm! I saw you and I also saw Cap...Caprees?" She nodded with a grin and gave her mom the drawing she had made with crayons before coming here. But it wasn't just the Master and Padawan she had drawn — there was a spooky building and some creepy people in black clothing too.

"Do you know who these other people are, little star?"

"Nuh-uh, but they felt mean."

Valery nodded in understanding and put the drawing aside, "Well, thank you for telling us. Let daddy know I'll be home late, and give him a big hug for me, okay?" Valery asked with a smile, before she leaned down again to hug her daughter, and press a quick kiss against her cheek. "Okay! Love you, mommy. And bye, Caprees!"

"Love you too."

After a quick pat on the head, Vera turned around and hopped her way to the exit, but it was only when the doors had closed that Valery's gaze was able to shift away from her little girl. "Sorry, she's... pretty good at finding me wherever I go. But as silly as this drawing might seem, they usually mean trouble. She receives very vivid visions that often revolve around her father and I. We'll be fine, though." Valery shot her a confident grin and looked at the projector.

"Any last questions?"

Caprees? Is that what'd she'd heard? Oh chit- she's leaving. Capris straightened a bit, choking out a short, "Bye" before cringing internally. Yeah, her social maneuverability needed some work.

Gaze dropping to the prophetic crayon drawing her attention turned to something she was far better attuned to. Deciphering cryptic messages. "Visions?" The padawan asked with a stifled edge of surprise "She can predict the future?" Her incredibility seemed melt into amusement for a brief moment, "Yeah- definitely sounds like your kid." What else could you expect from the Sword of the Jedi after all.

Dropping a finger on the hooded figures hastily scribbled in the foreground her tone leveled. "These have to be Sith right?" Ah- that was certainly a foreboding prospect. Regardless she shook the feeling, picking up a humorful inflection once more with complete ease. "I mean hey- guess we'll find out."

Valery then asked her a question, to which she shook her head in resolute confirmation, "I'm ready."

Jedi_Briefing_Room.png

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"She can, yes," Valery said with a chuckle. "These days it's rare, but there used to be a whole specialization for Jedi gifted in receiving and interpreting visions. They were called the Seers, and I believe Vera might become one in the future. Right now, though, she can't control what she sees or when she sees those visions."

"They come and go depending on what's happening in the Galaxy, but especially events related to her and our family regularly pop up. It's... very demanding for her and she doesn't really understand everything yet because of how young she is. That's why she makes those drawings."
Valery looks at the crayon drawing and frowned again, as she tried to interpret what her little star was wanting to show her.

"Sith, cultists, maybe a Maw tribe. There are options but either way, it spells trouble." Looking back up, Valery tried to offer a reassuring smile and grabbed the drawing before she gestured for Capris to follow her down the hallway, and towards the hangar. "Because we might run into something darker there, why don't I teach you something that will help you protect yourself? My husb-" she paused and smiled a little sheepishly. "Your Master is Epicanthix, so he has a naturally very resistant mind. But most people do not, and one of the most dangerous things the Dark Side can do is target your mind."

"Both Sith, Dark Jedi, or even just artifacts and other corrupted objects can manipulate you or even drive you insane. But there are ways to shield yourself against it, and I will teach you how to do it." As a former Jedi Shadow, it's one of the skills Valery has likely used the most. Every mission demanded it, and all her experience had shown just how useful it was. For this very reason, she has already taught it to many other Padawans.

"Before I explain how it works, do you know the difference between a Control, Sense or Alter ability?"

div-green.png
Corruption and manipulation- She definitely wasn’t unfamiliar with the words. Though etymology was as far as experience could take her. She’d never been toe to toe with a Sith, a Maw cultist, or anything intent on compromising her mind for that matter. This would be a first. Capris tried to not recoil at the idea. If she wanted to make a difference, this is how one would go about it. Through sheer willpower.

As they moved through the hangar, she blinked away a look of surprise when Valery explained Kahlil's natural mental fortitude. Up until then she’d chalked up his apparent immunity on Xa Fel to just plain experience. He was a Master after all. But regardless, the quick lesson in biology definitely checked out. At least it explained the height.

It also made her appreciate the effort Valery was making. While Kahlil would’ve no doubt made an effective teacher, learning from someone at her “technical” level of susceptibility was probably preferable. Certainly made things easier on Kahlil.

It was then Valery prodded at her background knowledge, and in a bid not to embarrass herself in front of the sword, she simply regurgitated textbook definitions.

“Control is internal, it’s about the Force's relationship with the body and self. Sense is the natural progression outwards towards your environment, and Alter is modifying the force to your intent.” With a quick glance at Valery for confirmation she backpedaled, “Or uh something like that.”

Jedi_Briefing_Room.png

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"That's very good," Valery said with a dip of her head to acknowledge Capris' answer. "What I'm going to teach you is considered a Control ability. They're usually easier because you're tapping into something that feels most familiar — the Force that flows through you." It was easier than altering one's senses and perception of the world, or the direct manipulation of the environment. Valery wasn't certain just how experienced Capris was with the Force, but this would be an excellent lesson either way.

Meanwhile, the two entered the Hangar, and the familiar Bastion was there, waiting for them. Valery lowered the ramp and guided Capris inside while she continued. "Thought Shield is quite easy in concept and even to try. You tap into the Force and channel it like a barrier around the edge of your own mind. The difficult part is passively maintaining it, even as you're using the Force for other purposes, and especially as this barrier gets tested by Dark Side influences."

"Missions can easily take hours, if not longer, so that's another factor,"
Valery added as she sat down and powered up the engines to prepare them for departure.

"Should we encounter something today, I'll be able to shield you, but I'd like for you to try it yourself first. You can use the journey to get there to practice, and if you allow me, I'll gently test your mental barriers too. Not with the same force you could encounter out there in the field, but something to give you an idea as to what you can expect."

She offered a brief smile and turned to her instruments to guide them up and out of the Temple, before pushing through Coruscant's atmosphere to reach the dark vacuum of space. It was only when they were on their way through Hyperspace, that Valery turned back to Capris again. "Give it a try and let me know when you're ready."

div-green.png
Stepping foot on the Bastion after such a short sabbatical invited a slew of bad memories, which she simply shouldered. The events of Xa Fel replayed on constant loop at any mention of the place. No matter how much she braced herself, no matter how determined she was to move past it, the mission remained an undeniably raw nerve.

With a covert grimace she’d moved alongside Valery, hovering over the co-pilot seat as her mind floated back to the conversation at hand. Ah, she wanted to test her mental shields. While Valery had done nothing to sow any doubt in her mind, the prospect of letting someone brush against her thoughts, no matter how gently, was difficult to wrangle.

Still, vulnerability was a necessary sacrifice. She’d be facing off far less considerate forces than Valery.

“Alright.”

Sucking in a breath she let her senses blanket her own signature in the force, a faint constant hum of energy she’d grown practically numb to. With a little more effort she erected something of a mental barricade, isolating herself off from the thin line connecting her and Valery. Hopefully that proved strong enough.

“Ready.”

azgywTW.jpg

The Bastion
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"Ready."

Valery dipped her head and immediately reached out to Capris to form a bridge between their minds. It felt similar to how a telepathic connection would be formed, but it changed rather quickly. Telepathy was gentle — a mutual agreement to convey thoughts or even emotions across great distances. But as soon as Valery felt Capris' mental barriers, she began to push against them.

It started slow just to test the waters but it would get progressively more uncomfortable as she tried to scratch away against the edges of her mind. Under no circumstance, would Valery allow herself to pierce deep into the Padawan's mind, but she wanted to make sure that Capris understood what it felt like.

It would help her prepare for when she was truly put to the test.

Whether or not she succeeded at shielding herself, Valery soon ceased her efforts and carefully looked into Capris' eyes, "How do you feel after that?" She began to already turn in her seat to monitor the instruments again. They were approaching the planet, so it was mission time soon.

"We're almost there too, so get ready for a quick atmospheric entry. I'm going to give them very little time to detect us if they're even watching."

Valery was a light in the dark. Blinding at that. She didn't push into her thoughts, but Capris nonetheless doubled down on her own mental shields. She wouldn't concede any ground, not if she could help it, though thankfully she didn't have to hold out for long.

As quickly as it had begun, the sensation faded, and Valery receded from her immediate circle of awareness. In the next moment her eyes blinked open as she settled back into reality and met Valery's gaze. "Uh good- I think. I mean I definitely felt you."

With that, she brought her attention back to the mission, catching sight of the slowly expanding planet they were meant to infiltrate.

Valery braced her, steering them down.

"I'm going to give them very little time to detect us if they're even watching."

"Let's hope they're not."

SithTemple.png

The Bastion
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"Remember how it felt." And that it could get worse. A lot worse, but she hoped they'd be able to avoid it today. However, as the Bastion shifted through the atmosphere quickly, a wave of darkness reached out to both Jedi. It was faint enough to where it posed no risk, but as they got closer to their destination, it slowly grew in strength.

"Seems the lesson might end up being very useful," Valery commented as she began the landing procedures of the Bastion. It was a larger ship and lacked the stealth systems of her X-wing, so she brought them down further away, so they weren't going to be detected by whoever was out there.

It was unlikely they were actively looking, but the Bastion was hard to miss.

"Alright, I saw the structure we're looking for during our descent, and I didn't see many ways to get inside. We'll have to figure something out because the front door seems like a bad idea." She smirked and lowered the ramp, allowing them to step onto Mobus' moon. The terrain was mostly barren and if it wasn't for the presence they felt, it would have been the least interesting place to be in the Galaxy.

"The Dark Side can cloud your senses as well, so try to stay sharp and push through it. I'd like you to guide us to the building, so follow what you feel."

She felt it.

The darkness, that is- blanketing her in thick roves with no warning. Hell- they were definitely in the right place.

At Valery’s comment and subsequent snark, Capris exhaled a huff of amusement through her nose.

“Oh, I thought the Maw were known for their hospitality.” She returned Valery’s smirk with one of her own. It proved the easiest way to deflect the rising tension in her gut. Humor truly was the greatest coping mechanism.

Stepping foot onto Mobus’s flaking surface, the girl nodded in response to Valery. Lead the way- right. She could do that. Igniting the small tether of darkness that all but reached out for her, Capris canted her head towards the compound’s supposed direction.

“Well this entire place reeks of the darkside- but the stench is particularly bad over there.”

SithTemple.png

Mobus' Moon
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"Well this entire place reeks of the darkside- but the stench is particularly bad over there."

Valery's smirk from before lingered as they made their approach. The Dark Side, as much as it could cloud their senses, could also be a guide in certain situations. On a planet as devoid of life and Force presences as this, it stuck out like a sore thumb, making it easy for the two Jedi to find their target — a structure carved into the rocks. From above, it had likely appeared to be some kind of building, but those dark halls were built into a rock formation.

At the front, there was a gate and no matter how hard they'd try, it was like staring down a bottomless pit.

But from this pit, soon two figures emerged, dressed in black robes and their hands hidden within their sleeves. Right at the entrance already, they stopped walking and turned their eyes up to the sky, moments before a ship dropped out of hyperspace and came down through the atmosphere. The shuttle of Maw design landed, and once its ramp lowered, two more robed figures appeared, but they were dragging someone along between them.

The man was wearing torn clothes and had no shoes on — his feet were dragging across the dirt and stone, cutting them open but even that pain sparked no response. If it wasn't for the life force the Jedi could sense, he'd have appeared to be dead.

An exchange between the four robed figures followed before the two continued dragging the man inside, while the others went inside to retrieve another.

"The hell is going on there..." Valery frowned and turned to Capris. "Change of plan, we can't let that ship get away. It might have information about all of this and where they got those people from." Valery stood up and reached for the hilt of her double-bladed weapon.

"I'm going to get between the ship and entrance to stop those people. Can you head inside the ship and secure it?" If Capris agreed and showed she was ready, Valery began to move.

div-green.png
Woah.

Incredulous to just what exactly she was witnessing, the girl blinked over to Valery for confirmation. The dread hanging in the atmosphere now ascribed to something tangible. Vera certainly was.. a rather gifted artist.

Eyes thinned in vigilance, Capris simply watched a moment, almost anthropathically. The abyss staring back in the most literal sense. "Yeah-" The padawan nodded a bit absent-mindedly before doubling down. "Yeah- I got the ship."

At Valery's signal, the girl moved into action. Stalking along the outer rim of the structure until she could all but touch the ship. Knocking at the front door simply wouldn't do so she slinked through an outer port, temporarily losing sight of Valery in the process.

Once inside however, she radioed back to the Jedi Master, voice a low whisper as she loosened her lightsaber from its hilt. "I'm in, you've got them distracted?"

SithTemple.png

Mobus' Moon
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber

"Alright, let's go."

With her signal, Valery charged ahead and immediately positioned herself between the ship and the dark entrance, her weapon drawn to confront whatever would step outside. She couldn't yet see any figures emerging, but she knew it was only a matter of time until they returned to collect more of their captives. Capris meanwhile carefully went inside the ship, and right as she asked her question over comms, she'd be able to hear a scream of pure agony echoing through the interior.

<What was that?> Valery asked, but another scream made it very difficult for Capris to hear the Jedi Master's voice.

"Please! No, no, no don't!" Another scream followed, and the presence it belonged to seemed to fade. It didn't disappear entirely, but it was almost like they were in some kind of hibernation trance, their body close to what would be considered dead. The two cultists who had entered, however, felt stronger in the Dark.

Not at the level of a Sith, but they couldn't be underestimated.

<I've got company outside. I'm going to-> She was forced to hang up, and from outside, Cora could hear Valery engaging someone. Likely more cultists.

From up ahead, another voice then began to speak.

"I think we have a visitor."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom