Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Midnight Desert

• Thread starter Jorah zos Darnus
  • Start date

Jorah zos Darnus

J
AVSwr8T.png

IltDloA.png

A R I D U S
EXPANSION REGION
44GCo3i.png
The sun had set hours ago, yet the heat radiating across the arid expanse was stifling.

Smoke wisped at his feet, as the soles of his boots burned with each step. A hellish landscape, the land scorched by the day and smoldering through the night. It was desolate. Unforgiving. And, yet, the power and majesty of the works of the spirits were on full display. From the native Chubbits to the migratory herds of droffi, the spirits revealed themselves in the miracle of life that transpired even in an environment such as this one.

There was power in creatures that endured in places such as this.

"Lora toth I'shuree senne." The words, uttered in Dathomirian, seemed to linger on the wind like a haunted prayer. Bringing a hand up, a greenish light seemed to appear in mid-air, as the boy inscribed a mystic symbol in the spirit ichor. "Yema pu taildanȃt pareva naletnit," he uttered, as the rune seemed to pulse softly. The spell was cast. The rune seemed to collapse in on itself, compressed into a will 'o wisp, which circled around the youth's form before darting away into the hills.

A low rumble rose from the ground. The familiar gave off a faint glow of its own, as the twilight seemed to be both captured and reflected by the shards that dotted the spine of the diminutive krayt dragon.

The pair continued on, trudging through the rolling hills of the midnight desert. The ethereal orb dimly lighting the way, though seemingly always just out of reach. As the boy and his dragon crested one of the dunes, the hellish glow of a lava fissure appeared, spreading a burning scar across the landscape.

It was a strange thing to stand along the edge of a lava flow. Such destruction. Such power. Within the molten rivers of Aridus, the boy could hear the roars of the Fanged God. Closing his eyes, the young Nightbrother reached up a hand, rubbing the rancor tooth that he wore around his neck, as he whispered, "Nȃkah meni Gȃyita Ameeno azza tozu het Gȃyita Ameeno."

Feared is the Fanged God and the name of the Fanged God.

He stayed like that, observing a moment of silence in which he merely focused on breathing. He was listening. Listening to the world around him. The dying gasp of the molten river's flow. The song of the searing breeze. And the skittering of insects that labored along the ashen river bank.

Kneeling down, the boy opened his amber eyes. In the darkness, he could see small forms moving through the ash. Hard, insectoid bodies with a multitude of legs crawling in the shadows.

Reaching out a hand, he winced as one crawled up into his palm. Holding the small beetle aloft, he might have sworn that he were holding a hot ember in his hand. The heat radiated by the lava beetle belied the power contained within the small creature.

With his free hand, the youth dipped into the satchel he carried in order to pull out a glass jar, into which he deposited the beetle. As he knelt there, there were now several crawling over the tops of his boots or up his legs, which made the task of plucking a few more all the easier, as he dropped each, one by one, into the container he carried.

"Tlesu," the boy remarked, returning the contained with its softly glowing beetles back into the satchel that he carried. Raising up to his full height, the horned youth looked around for a moment, before giving a whistle. The greenish head of the familiar poked itself up at the crest of a dune a moment later. Motioning for the dragon to follow, the boy said only, "M'ralu," as he turned back toward the way that they had come.

Dawn was starting to paint the horizon in hues of pink and yellow when the pair had arrived back at the wing-shaped transport. Silently, the dark figure of the young Nightbrother traveled up the loading ramp and into the vessel, as the krayt dragon bounded along after him.

"Welcome back."

Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu had offered to program the droid to speak Dathomirian, but the idea of a machine speaking in the language of Dathomir was... disquieting. Likewise, he was told that a droid should have a name, but to have a name was to have an identity. To be a someone rather than a something.

It was a measure of being that the Dathomirian felt uncomfortable affording to something so artificial. A droid was not the work of the Gods, it was the labor of man. To recognize its individuality seemed to equate construction with creation.

One was sacred, the other was not.

Nonetheless, the boy gave a slight bow toward the diminutive pilot droid.

"Shall I set course for Alaris?"

It was, indeed, like speaking with another person. If he had, it likely would have stood up along the back of his neck in that moment. A slight shiver of discomfort ran through him, before he recovered to answer, "Yes, but..." the youth answered, hesitating as he adopted the universal tongue that was known as Basic. Gesturing at the control panel along the left side of the cockpit, the boy said, "Help me send a transmission first."

The small droid fiddled with the buttons and knobs, none of which made much of any sense to the Nightbrother. Though, when his face and torso had been illuminated by a faint blue light, he understood that the mechanism was now recording him.

Crossing his hands at the wrists, palms facing inward, the boy dropped his gaze as he bowed deeply at the waist. Holding that pose, he spoke in Dathomirian as he uttered, "Shaol'maka, ci dyn tanelejal. Taildanȃt jidite hai chu."

With that, he straightened back up and looked over at the droid. "End the transmission."

The droid reached back a stubby arm, toggling a switch, before returning to the console in front of the pilot's seat. Flipping through different projections on a central display, the droid noted, "There's reports of ion storms moving between Cularin and Wann Tsir. We'll have to travel up the Corellian Run to Nubia, then we should have a safe path to the Kashyyyk System."

Jorah did not speak Basic as a first language, and only marginally got by with it as a second. Even still, there was much the droid had said that was incomprehensible to him. He understood what a storm was, but he did not associate space with weather.

Could space have storms? "I place myself in your care," the boy noted finally, electing to simply remove himself from the cockpit.

With that, the young Nightbrother stepped out of the cockpit. Unslinging the satchel, the boy began to unpack the spell regeants that he had collected while, around him, the ship seemed to possess a life of its own. The airlock locked itself, as the loading ramp was retracted and the vessel brought to life while the pilot droid in the cockpit prepared it to take off. There was a noticeable tremor as the ship lifted off, the boy bracing himself as he secured the sample jars while he could feel the ship in the air.

Thankfully, the voyage seemed to smooth out quickly. Though, he avoiding glancing toward the cockpit. The black void was not a pretty sight. Already, he could feel the spirit realm growing distant. It left him conscious of the sterile metal, the stale air that was recycled through filters.

This was no way to travel. And, yet, it seemed the only way to travel.

Stepping to the rear, the boy washed his hands. When he had finished, he washed his face, before finally rinsing out his mouth. It was a ritual cleansing. He needed rest. And probably a bath. But, he was behind on his obligation. That would need to be remedied first.

Stepping into the area that had been set aside for cargo, the youth seemed to pass into a different world. The ship around him seemed to disappear, as the stars of Talay's night sky shone overhead. The sounds of the swamp echoed faintly in the soft chirp of crickets, as the youth knelt down. The familiar nestled up beside him, circling around the boy before finally lying down at his side. The Nightbrother drew in a breath, letting it out slowly. Then he began whispering softly in Dathomirian before he bowed all the way to the floor.

Blessed be the Winged Goddess and the name of the Winged Goddess.

Straightening back up, the boy paused a moment. Again, Dathomirian passed from his lips in a softly whispered, sacred melody. Then he bowed to the floor a second time.

Feared is the Fanged God and the name of the Fanged God.

As he returned, upright, he crossed his hands at the wrist as he had done during the transmission. Holding that pose, he continued to whisper in Dathomirian as he finished the sacred mystery of the faith.

Honor upon you, spirits, named and unnamed, known and unknown. Though I am not worthy, I offer myself as your servant.

When he had finished, the boy scooted forward to pick up a leather-bound book from where he kept his texts. Thumbing through to where he had left off, the boy made a symbolic gesture, touching his forehead, ear, and mouth before he began to read.

A reading for the 38th day of Molach, in the season of alms, from the Epistle of Old Daka to the Sisters at Aurilia...

44GCo3i.png
The young warrior was fast asleep.

The krayt dragon pressed up against him, the Nightbrother was drooling onto his pillow, blissfully unaware of the passage of time as the ship traveled through space. It was designed for that, really. The holographic environment and ambient soundtrack fostering the illusion of sleeping under the stars on his homeworld. An escape from the harsh reality of hurdling through the sea of stars at velocities that defied comprehension.

Except, there was something else.

The boy's eyes fluttered open. He was confused for a moment. Something was out of place, but it was a minute before his brain seemed able to connect his waking with the sound of an alarm through the ship.

He sat up, startled, and then found himself disoriented. The room seemed to spin, as his mind felt numb. As though his brain were stuffed with cotton balls. Finally, the boy was able to push himself up to his feet.

Staggering into the cockpit, the Dathomiri collapsed into the seat next to where the pilot droid was located. "Is... pro... problem..?" The boy was finding it difficult to form his words. The phrases in Basic were there, they simply did not seem to be working for him. "Dou s'lajsika?" he asked finally, lapsing into Dathomirian.

"Atmo pump's off-line," the pit droid responded immediately. "Carbon scrubbers are showing red. Must be a malfunction in the environmental controls."

"Chu selat shar?"

"Yeah, but we need to set down before the air inside the ship becomes toxic for you," the droid answered, before leaning over to again flip through the screens on the center display. "We overshot Bogo Yagen, but we should be approaching Denon."

The boy's head rolled to the side. His mouth was agape as his body seemed to become incredibly heavy.

"I'm re-calculating to...."

The cockpit began to spin. He could hear the droid still speaking, though its words began to become distorted and fade as the boy's eyes fluttered shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
hhYg3ms.png

D E N O N
SOMEWHERE IN DISTRICT 9

slQCnMc.png

"Looking for this?"

The young shadowrunner looked up to spy the canister of blue paint, held in the gloved claws of a CorpSec officer. It was, in fact, what she had been looking for. The aerosol can was one of two she brought today, and with her very pink creation only half finished, the girl was going to need it. Her eyes worked their way up the uniformed Human, a relative rarity in the ranks of CorpSec these days, to find an scowling face waiting for her. That was the unofficial uniform of the world's police force, completing the red and blacks that had swarmed the more secured areas of Denon since even before the Corpos came to power.

"Tagging a public building is a crime."

The man's tone and attitude sounded well-honed, and if the teen had not a born-and-bred native of the planet it was likely that alone would have rattled her. Yet Daiya was pretty sure that mere breathing would be a crime if CorpSec wanted it to be. The cop's statement didn't surprise her, nor did his attitude. If he was going to dish it, she had plenty of her own 'tude in return. "Yeah, but this one isn't public." Daiya pointed out matter-of-factly, holding out her hand for the other canister of paint. "Used to be the Gallina Fungibles warehouse."

"Used to be." Dry and laconic, the typical CorpSec trap. Keep their target doing all the talking, and the naïve ones would talk their way right into a set of stuncuffs. Daiya had seen it far too often to fall for that trap.

"Mmm," she said with a nod, offering no resistance to the idea but without acknowledging he was right. She dropped her arm since he wasn't offering to return her spray paint yet. "But they went belly up six months ago, so I know they didn't call the fething Corpos on me."

A gloved finger pointed her way, as the Seccer made a step towards her. "You got a karking mouth, kid, you'd better watch that." Daiya wasn't buying it. If the Seccer had wanted her arrested, he would have by now. That he was stooping to threats just meant he wanted someone to practice his intimidation routine on. "And who says it wasn't some benevolent citizen, just looking out for their clean neighborhood?"

The girl scoffed, tossing her head from side to side as she made exaggerated glances nearby. "Look around!" she told him, with cocky gestures meant to illustrate her words. "I'm seeing a lot of abandoned buildings and 'For Rent' signs. Not exactly District 19, is it?"

Old Salty CorpSec wasn't liking her answer, and the lines of his face deepened under his scowl. But he wasn't done toying with her, and from the sound of it the Seccer was trying to talk himself into making a spectacle out of this. "You know, I'll bet if I look it up in the system, I'll find a Corporate Works project here that owns it all. Making this a public building, and you..."

"Bet." Daiya folded her arms against her chest. She knew the cop was looking for a reason to take her in, and she wasn't exactly trying to give it to him. Yet as the man stared at her, his eyes lingering uncomfortably long on her body, the girl couldn't help the snark that slipped out of her. "Take a holo, it'll last longer."

"Well, if you insist..." From his belt, the officer grabbed a portable scanner and held it up in front of her. The teen squirmed under its inanimate eye, rolling her own and glancing off somewhere else. As she stood, detained by the Seccer's threat of escalation, her limbs began to ache. Like an itch she couldn't scratch, she wanted to move. To get back to her spray painting art. Or even to start dancing. Most of all, to move far away from the doubly invasive gaze of the cop and his scanner.

It wasn't looking good for her, and a growing unrest in her mind told the girl that she should be ready to run. Her eyes made a few furtive glances, trying to check if her escape routes were still open. Daiya spied the cop's scowl turn to a frown as he studied something on his screen. Something had disturbed him, and she wasn't itching to stick around to find out what it was.

Still savvy enough to avoid entrapping herself, Daiya pitched a sarcastic reason that would satisfy both of them to end the confrontation. "Oh look, my record's clean! Can I go now?"

The cop looked up, and now he looked just as disgusted to see her standing there as she did. He waved a gloved hand dismissively. "Yeah, get outta here, and don't let me catch you here again." As he shooed her away some more with his hand, he offered one more unnerving comment, "Or I'll find something to book you on that even your little 'anonymous guardian angel' won't be able to undo."

"Huh?" She hadn't expected that to actually work. Daiya's question lingered unheard in the air as she passed by it herself, moving quickly to put plenty of distance between herself and her brush with the law. Or at least the closest thing to it that one could find on Denon.

It wasn't until she was already on the tram heading far away that the girl realized the cop had stolen her spray paint!

slQCnMc.png

Her favorite server, Cichei wasn't working the Blue Flame today, instead it was Odri taking orders and directing customers to seats when the girl walked in. The girl had spent the ride over shaking after the encounter she had just escaped. The sea of emotions still churned inside her, and seeing her least-favorite member of the Blue Flame staff there to greet her did nothing to calm it. Setting her jaw, Daiya ignored the table she was sent to for her preferred booth instead.

The girl made herself at home in the booth by laying her forehead down onto the cool surface of the wooden tabletop, feeling the dents and scratches in its well-worn surface with a finger. Her curly hair spilled down around her, splaying out onto its surface, but she didn't pay it much mind. It wasn't until Odri's voice sounded above her that Daiya raised up her head again.

"Uh-oh, looks like someone needs a milkshake." Odri was patronizing on the best of days, and today was very far from the best. Her words were not about to make it any better.

Daiya closed her eyes for a moment, opening them to look back at the young woman with a saccharine, sweet look on her face. Clasping her hands in front of her, and with a plastic, tight grin on her face, the teen's condescension was hardly disguised. "Does it look like a milkshake kind of day?"

"Ooo, testy," the woman quipped, pursing her lips at the girl. When Daiya gave her no response beyond a few blinks, Odri returned with her own plastic grin. "How about a nice cup of calming tea, then?"

"I'm very calm, are you calm?" Daiya asserted, only her eyes offering a smug disagreement to being treated like trash for the second time that day. "'Cause it'd be really calming great if I could calmingly get a calming Meltdown to drink. That would sure calm me down even more, thanks!"

"Okay...sounds like tea it is for Miss I'm Very Calm."

The teen smashed her head back down on the table as Odri walked off, tapping it lightly a few times to exaggerate her frustration. That didn't do much more than make her head hurt, so she stopped. There were enough things to make her head hurt today, she hardly needed to add more.

Her attempt at graffiti wasn't just for fun today, the girl had a job coming up that needed the skill. She felt self-conscious enough about her art when it was on a datapad, much less tagged on a public wall for all to see. Still, Daiya found herself longing for a chance to improve her artwork, and this offered creds for the opportunity.

It was just going to cost her upfront now that she had to replace her can of lost spray paint.

She was interrupted again by the sound of a cup being set on the table. When others implements, customary for the Blue Flame's order of tea, didn't follow it, the girl frowned and looked up. Daiya found a glass of something cold set in front of her, a colored drink that was definitely not tea. Confused, she glanced up into the form of Meeno hovering above her. The taciturn bartender only sighed and offered a commiserating look before walking away.

Taking a sip of the drink, Daiya was delighted to find a sharp taste hiding behind the fruit juice in the cocktail, and let out an amused chuckle at her surprise.

Maybe her day was about to get better after all.

Jorah zos Darnus

J

"This ship is weird!"

The young Dathomirian's eyes fluttered open. He caught a fleeting glimpse of the cockpit of the ship. And something. Something mechanical. A droid? He wasn't certain. His mind felt as though it were smothered in cotton balls, as the boy drifted back to sleep.

He woke with a start a moment later. A small droid, emblazoned with a medical symbol, was retracting a foul-smelling capsule from the boy's face.

"I'm just saying, why is that every time dispatch sends us out, it's a weird ship," a male voice uttered. Finding himself in the cockpit of the Koratas, the Dathomirian turned his head toward the sound of the voices inside the ship. A tall, dark-skinned human in some kind of dark uniform was speaking to someone that Jorah couldn't see. "I don't see Duran or Rio getting the weird ones."

"Hello?" the young shaman uttered, as he tried to push himself up from out of the chair.

"Oh, good, you're awake," the uniformed male offered, turning toward the smaller Dathomiri. In short order, a finger was thrust into Jorah's face. Startled, the boy tried to back peddle and wound up tripping over the seat he'd just left. "You're in a LOT of trouble," the man boomed.

Tumbling to the deck, the boy started to get up from the floor when he banged his head against an overhanging console. Wincing, the youth cradled the back of his head as he looked back up at the overbearing figure. "I am?"

The man just planted his hands at his side, as he demanded, "For starters, what's a Sith doing in Corporate space?"

"Wait, what?" The boy's head snapped up so fast, it banged against the overhanging console a second time.

"Are you a spy!?" the man demanded, paying either no mind or no sympathy as the boy doubled over and clutched at his head. "Who are you working for? Who sent you!"

"He's got a Concord identicard," a second voice announced.

Rearing up on his knees, the Dathomiri watched as a woman with white hair and the same dark uniform as the male. "He's a Jedi?" the man asked, looking over at the woman.

"Wait," the boy uttered, starting to pick himself up from the ground -- again -- as it dawned on him that the two were going through his ship. More to the point, going through his things.

"Jedi look like that?" the man remarked, throwing a hand outward to indicate the red and black-skinned youth. Looking the horned boy over, he added, "Man, there really isn't a difference between the two."

"No, look here," the woman offered, extending the illuminated identicard out for the man to inspect. "It says here he has refugee status."

The hand that he'd thrust toward Jorah now was thrown upward. "Oh, of course. Now it makes sense," the man said, cryptically. Then, throwing another finger in the boy's face, demanded, "Haven't you people gotten the message yet?"

The Dathomiri's amber eyes darted between the pair. For one, he really didn't appreciate the way that she said the word refugee. And, two, "You people?"

"You can't just crash on whatever planet you please and then expect a hand-out," the man boomed, throwing his hands out from his side as he loomed over the smaller youth. Then, leaning closer, added, "This is Corporate space. We don't want your kind here!"

"You don't even know what my kind are," the boy snapped in retort.

"Sure I do," the man fired back. "You're a refugee," he supplied, accenting the word in the same manner as the woman had. As though to clear up any misunderstanding, he explained, "It's Galactic Basic for space trash."

The Dathomiri's head went back. If he could have, he'd have definitely turned the man into something. He wasn't really sure what. But it would be unpleasant.

Also, was there even a spell to turn people into things? He should probably know the answer to that. Jorah could turn himself into an animal, but it was more complex than that. And it only worked on him. He wasn't sure there was a ritual or totem to turn someone into a... frog or whatever. But if there were a spell that did that, this was the kind of person that spell would be meant for. If there even was one.

"Look, kid, the fact is, I don't see a credit account associated with this identicard," the woman announced, drawing the boy's attention away from the man. Handing the identicard back to him, she explained, "And, right now, you owe a lot of credits."

"I do?"

"Landing fees, docking fees, port services, emergency services..." the woman announced, pulling a slim datapad from her back pocket and starting to type. Glancing up, she asked, "Do you even have health insurance?"

"What's health insurance?"

"That's another fee," the woman announced, tapping at the datapad as it started to produce a flimsiplast ticket.

The Dathomiri was still unclear on how this debt had come to be his. But, he knew some people who could help him with that. "If you let me contact the SIlver Jedi, I'm sure..."

"Oh, no," the man snapped, snatching the flimsiplast ticket from the woman's datapad and thrusting it at the boy. "No no. This is your mess. No hand-outs."

"We're impounding this ship. If you can't pay the fines by the end of the week, we'll sell the ship to cover the costs," the woman stated.

Glancing over the ticket, the boy was presented with the reality that he barely had a handle on the Aurabesh writing system. Money was something that Jorah had even less understanding of. So the amount on the ticket was meaningless to him. Instead, he turned his attention up to the woman as he asked, "You mean, I'm stuck here?"

"Oh, no, I already told you. We don't want your kind here," the man interjected. "We'll deport you."

"So, you'll send me to Concord space?"

"Oh, no, according to your flight log, your point of origin was Aridus," the woman offered.

"We'll send you back there. How you get back to Concord space is your problem, not the Authorities," the man explained flatly.

44GCo3i.png
"H'sin tul dyn tlesu dou terhan shureen meni mu."
The least that they could have done is tell us what planet we're on.

The boy and the diminutive dragon found themselves on the street of a city. It wasn't at all like Kashyyyk. Or even Talay. Instead, it reminded the boy of his visit to Byss during the attack there. Except, Jorah hadn't spent much time. He'd provided aid at the healing stations, then departed when the New Jedi Order had left shortly after.

He'd gotten the impression that the people of Byss didn't like Jedi. Or Witches of Dathomir.

Well, actually, none of them seemed to know what a Witch of Dathomir was. But, if they had, they probably wouldn't have liked them either. So what about this planet? It was vibrantly lit, with neon lights tracing the lines of monolithic spired of metal and glass that dominated the horizon. Everything he'd seen so far told him that this place wasn't welcoming to strangers. But it sure seemed pretty strange to him.

As he made his way from the spaceport, the boy began to see people gathering around heating units or even fires they'd made inside of used containers. One had some kind of droid lit on fire, and was using it for heat.

None of this helped to make this planet seem any more welcoming. Still, the boy edged toward where a green-skinned alien of some kind was warming his, er, her? ...where a green-skinned alien was warming their hands over a container burning trash.

"Excuse me, could you tell me what planet this is?" the boy inquired, as he stepped into the light of the fire.

"Uhobaw uba," the alien growled, before spitting at the boy's feet.

The Dathomiri shied back two steps. "Oh... okay," the youth murmured. Had that been Basic? He was pretty sure that hadn't been Basic.

Oh no. Did they not speak Basic on this planet? Jorah only knew two languages. Those uniformed officers at the spaceport, they'd both spoken Basic. So, maybe?

In either case, Jorah assumed that the alien was telling him to move along, so the Dathomiri decided to oblige. WIth a hastened pace.

"Tlesu bisi id tir," the boy uttered quietly, a sentiment which the small krayt dragon seemed to echo as it gave a yip in reply.
I don't like it here.

"Say, are you lost?"

Emerging from behind the pair, a man came up from behind the youth. Jorah realized there were two of them as the second stepped up to walk alongside.

"I am," the boy answered honestly. He was not comfortable with this arrangement, but he was appreciative that the man spoke Basic.

"I thought so," the first man uttered, draping an arm around the boy. With his free hand, he gestured toward the man flanking Jorah and offered, "My, uh, associate here and I would be glad to help."

"You would?"

"Of course. Spacers honor," the first man said, before asking. "Where are you from kid? Where are you trying to go?"

"Uh, the Silver Jedi Concord?" the Dathomiri offered. It was a strange question. Jorah usually thought in terms of villages, not planets. And not these star-encompassing governments that seemed to be how people of the stars organized themselves into tribes. "I'm trying to get back to the Kashyyyk System."

"Ah, Jedi," the man offered, glancing over at the other.

The arm was removed from around the boy's shoulder, just a moment before something hit him. He wasn't certain of what. A sudden jolt seemed to course through his body. His body tensed, then his body just went limp.

As the boy started to collapse, the first man grabbed hold of him. As he did, a krayt dragon hiss was the only warning before a meaty thwack marked the swipe of the dragon's jagged tail directly into the man's thigh.

"Motherkarker!" the man howled, throwing the boy over at the second man, as he then took a second hit to the shin from the squat creature. Drawing a short blaster from his holster, the man fired a bolt that prompted the creature the jump back a pace.

Patting the boy down, the second man said, "I don't see a lightsaber on him."

"He's probably one of those paddy-ones or whatever the kark," the man said, passing the blaster to his off hand as he reached down to cradle the bleeding gash in his thigh. A jagged piece of crystal had lodged in his leg. Still pointing the weapon at the small dragon, the man said, "Don't matter. That bounty was looking for any of these types."

The Talay krayt dragon gave a growling hiss, its bloodied tail tensed as the creature seemed poised to strike again. "Here," the first man offered, limping over to grab the kid and pass the blaster to the other. Then, holding the youth captive, demanded, "Would you shoot tha..."

Jorah slammed his fist down onto the jagged sliver of crystal, driving it further into the wound. As the man screamed, the boy stepped back as he ued his other hand to grab the man's arm, using it as a lever to swing the wounded man into the other.

Then, he ran.

A blaster bolt sailed by, as he heard an argument break out behind him.

"Not the kid, you idiot! The bounty said we only get paid if he's alive."

The Dathomiri got off the street, diverting down an alleyway. A hand went up to the rancor tooth pendant he wore, but whatever they'd hit him with still had his head bouncing around in his skull. Casting a spell, even with the aid of a totem, wasn't going to be possible.

Instead, as Jorah shot out into another street, he realized that he'd need to find a place to hide.

Ducking several speeders as he barreled across the street, the boy crossed into another alleyway and then around another corner.

There was an entrance illuminated nearby. The sign said Blue Flame. What was a Blue Flame? Was that supposed to be a shop of some kind? Glancing behind him, Jorah assumed it was as good a time as ever to find out.

Coming through the door, the boy put his back to the wall and realized how out of breath that he was.

And he had no idea what he'd just stepped into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her mood was improving, bit by bit, as Daiya sipped from her glass. That wasn't the only thing helping, just being in the Blue Flame was like a weight off her shoulders. It was almost more of home than anywhere she rested her head, and the familiarity of the place was comforting. Even Odri's astringent personality had some charm, especially when Daiya was only observing it from afar. She decided to pay little attention to the bustling chef attending front of house duties today, though the girl still caught sight of the woman occasionally out of the corner of her eye.

By the time her drink was finished, Daiya could hardly sit still. Her gloomy cloud had blown away, triggering the adrenaline rush that should have accompanied her escape from CorpSec earlier. Set loose by the alcohol and sugar in her beverage, now the teen was up and making her way about the tavern. The main barroom had its day-drink regulars, with a few strangers among them, and mostly involved in small conversations or watching a huttball game on a small, portable holoprojector someone had brought in. Her favorite part of the bar was in the adjacent room, featuring a long, undulating couch that often played host to small card games or fixers holding court.

Today, there were a few people gathered around a dapper-looking Gran, who was surrounded by a few datapads with various designs of ships on them. He was using one as a prop, waxing poetically about its features as the clunky vessel spun in a 360° view. Ordinarily, the teen would have little interest in starships or space travel, but today her eye caught the designs shown on one datapad and she picked it up. One of the Gran's three eyeballs pivoted to watch her as the salesbeing kept up his spiel, most of which Daiya ignored as she paged through the details of the promoted ship.

"Caught your eye, did it?" The Gran was finished with his pitch at last, and had turned his attention to Daiya. She shrugged, and opened her mouth, but the Gran was too fast. "This one has an XTJ Point-Seven Hyperdrive, and an adaptive defensive system. And of course," the Gran put a hand on his chest as a pledge, "I've personally designed the interior to make it...appealing to those who enjoy risk-free scans and audits by CorpSec Customs. I know my customers enjoy a wide range of careers and I aim to cater to what your heart most desires. So, tell me..."

"Daiya," she supplied, only half-heartedly. "But I don't know if I—"

"Well, Daiya, you look like the savvy sort, and I have a feeling you're itching to get offworld again soon. In fact, if you already have a ship, I have an excellent trade-in rate for used ships..."

Suddenly, the girl was even less interested in starships than she was normally, and her eyes darted towards a sound from around the corner. The Gran's mouth kept motoring, but Daiya wasn't giving it any more attention. She tossed the datapad back down on the table haphazardly, which prompted a stern tone from the Gran. The girl just shook her head, "You know what, I hear my friend calling me, I'll have to come back later!"

Daiya skipped away as fast as she could, turning the corner back into the main room again to find Odri accosting a young newcomer at the door. The boy was a bit shorter than she was, and a lot balder, with small horns protruding from his head. She recognized his species, Zabrak, but the girl was more intrigued by his red and black coloring that matched the sleeveless, leather outfit he wore. Daiya had never seen a Zabrak with that kind of skin tone, and she didn't know if they were very elaborate tattoos or just the way that his species blushed as Odri continued her tirade.

"...look, I've got a whole tavern full of patrons today, boy, so make up your mind. Seriously, your kind just..."

"Hey!" Daiya snapped at the woman, breaking from her earlier calm and exuberance. "Don't you have someone to boss around in the kitchen or something?" The girl was done with whatever stick had crawled up the eighteen-going-on-forty year old's backside. Turning to the nearest table, Daiya swiped off one of the empty plates and shoved it into the young woman's hands, offering one last sharp rebuke to her. "Here, take this and do something more productive!"

The girl didn't wait for Odri's blistering response, she simply grabbed at the boy's hand and tugged at him to follow. She aimed back at the booth she had taken before, offering an explanation once they were a few steps away from the door and its onerous gatekeeper. "I know that 'tauntaun in the speeder lights' look, and if I do then Odri definitely does. She'll eat you alive if you let her."

"I'm probably going to hear it from Shenn later, but I just can't even with her today. So not in the mood, you know what I mean?" Daiya continued until they reached the booth. She sat down on the same side, letting Jorah take the bench seat on the other side. Now Daiya had a chance to really look him over. He seemed utterly shaken, and she didn't think it was from Odri's dressing down. Something had truly spooked him, and the girl reached across the table to put her hand out to him. "Chill, okay? You're safe in here. Odri's bark is way worse than her bite."

The pair were approached by a figure, but instead of Shenn's jolly-like frame, Daiya was surprised to see Meeno's instead. The taciturn bartender was not the one she had expected to come chew her out. The girl almost giggled at the thought, she could more than handle the tall Muun's disapproving facial expressions. Instead, Meeno had a fluted glass that he set down, containing a white, somewhat frothy liquid that she assumed used to be more solid.

Daiya burst out a giggle at the sight, and glanced up at the Muun. "Odri's idea?" she asked through a chuckle, and then she giggled again at the display. The woman was trying very hard to get under her skin. She looked back up at Meeno, but the hapless bartender could only shrug and walk away.

The young shadowrunner pushed it over to the boy instead, "I think this is Odri's twisted idea of a prank. Don't take it personally, she's playing it on me, not you. Try it, you might like it, even though they're better when they're cold and not so soupy."

She tipped a head at the boy, "What's your name, anyway? I'm Daiya, and stars are you lucky I was here!"

Jorah zos Darnus

J

The boy was greeted at the door by a young woman.

Well, greeted might have been the wrong word for it. She was demanding but, to be honest, the young shaman wasn't even certain just what she was asking. Did she want him to leave? To come in? To have a seat? To order something? Whatever it was, she seemed to want an answer now and then would go back to berating him when he hesitated.

A second female intervened, this one seemingly closer to his age. Taking him by the hand, the younger one forcibly pulled the Nightbrother away from the door and the older woman alike.

This one also liked to speak Basic very fast. At one point, she'd asked if he knew what she meant, but Jorah had largely missed most of what she'd said before then. Something about how she couldn't even?

Couldn't even what?

She seemed to want to put him at ease. She said that this was a safe place, though the boy was skitish to the notion that there was such a thing. This planet seemed very different from Confederate or Concord space. Or even from his experience on Byss in the Alliance territories. Nothing about this world felt safe to him.

As the boy's ruddy head furtively glanced around the interior of the tavern, he wished to see Takui Takui or Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan somewhere there. Any of the Jedi, really. They seemed to understand how space worked in ways that the Mistwalkers didn't.

But, it seemed that wherever he was among the stars, that it was far from home. And far from the Jedi as well.

A tall, gaunt alien -- the likes of which Jorah had not seen before -- came over, delivering a milky beverage of some kind.

"Try it, you might like it," the girl offered, sliding the concoction toward him. In reply, the boy actually took a step back. Still reeling from the encounter outside the tavern, he certainly wasn't prepared to trust an offer from a stranger.

"What's your name, anyway? I'm Daiya, and stars are you lucky I was here!"

"Jorah," the boy answered cautiously, his eyes flicking up from the drink to the girl's face.

"Can you tell me where 'here' is?" the Nightbrother asked, picking up on her statement as he explained, "I've been trying to get people to tell me what planet this is."

Daiya knew that look. The same expression as a wounded animal, the hurt and discarded type. That was a look she had worn on a number of occasions herself in the past. The girl didn't flinch when he moved back, willing to ignore it more for the sake of him. This boy —Jorah— could set his own boundaries, she didn't mind. It wasn't like she had anywhere to be soon, not after that CorpSec goon took her paint can, anyway.

"Jorah, didn't you catch half the signs around here? You're in Seven Corners, the best district on Denon!" The girl grinned as she gestured around them, as if the whole of the Seven Corners district could be seen from within the tavern. She bounced her head from side to side, as if considering something, "Well, it has it's dirty parts, and you probably shouldn't go into Baker's Row unless you know what you're looking for, but it's still way better than District 9 or 19."

The young shadowrunner looked at her counterpart across the table, the boy who had even yet reached the table. He stood a step or so back from it, and it seemed that he was waiting for the table itself to reach out and hurt him. Daiya's mouth drew into a thin line, thinking of the kinds of abuse Odri heaped on her customers. She had no idea why the young woman was allowed to even step out of the kitchen, though she plied her tyrant trade in there as well. It was a dull spot to the brightness that the Blue Flame brought to the girl's life and, she felt, to the lives of most anyone who stepped inside.

Jorah just needed a little time to get to know it.

"I swear, no one is going to hurt you," the teen told the boy, raising her empty hands in a gesture of humility. She gave him a small smile, and gestured more slowly towards the seat across from her. Her tone was more even now, an attempt at being reassuring. "It's okay, I promise. Sit with me, please?"

She had no inkling if he would. The boy's face was hard to read, the red and black tones of his skin hid the nuance of his expressions from her eyes, and the horns that ringed his head drew her attention away. The teen tried not to stare, as fascinating as they were to her. Even with Denon as diverse as it was, it was rare for her to see a Zabrak again. She had seen Eiko's crown enough times to know what they looked like, the boy's head just had a different pattern and shape to his horns. It was like hair, she realized, everyone's was unique!

Daiya needed to distract herself as much as Jorah, it seemed. She broadened her smile, hoping that he was ready for that. "So where are you from, anyway? Besides offworld, I know that much!"

Jorah zos Darnus

J

"You're in Seven Corners, the best district on Denon!"

What was a Denon?

Well, he guessed it was a planet. This planet. So, the question was probably more of a where was Demon? As best Jorah understood it, there were roads in space that the navi-computers and machines traveled along. This must be a stop on that path.

So did that mean he was close to Silver Jedi space? Everything he had witnessed so far was so different from Commenor or Kashyyyk or any of the other Silver Jedi worlds that the Dathomiri had visited. To think that such a place might exist in neighboring stars was remarkable. And terrifying. It helped to explain where and why the rumored threats of villains among the stars struck such a pervasive fear in even the most peaceful planets.

"Well, it has it's dirty parts, and you probably shouldn't go into Baker's Row unless you know what you're looking for, but it's still way better than District 9 or 19."

Bakers Row? District 9? And this was different than District 19? Was there a map? Should he be writing this down? "That seems confusing," the boy uttered in a neutral, if skeptical, tone.

He was standing off a pace from the table. His suspicions were met by what seemed understanding as he weighed her response. "I swear, no one is going to hurt you,"

He hesitated.

"It's okay, I promise. Sit with me, please?"

He remained skeptical. However, he did move to the table. After another moment, he took a seat across from the girl and then inclined his head to convey his acquiescence to her request.

"So where are you from, anyway? Besides offworld, I know that much!"

The boy's mouth fell open, but his eyes darted to one side. How should he answer? When he said Kashyyyk earlier, it seemed to invite some kind of hunt for Jedi. Were these people hostile to the Jedi? Strange, the guards at the spaceport hadn't seemed to care if he was Jedi or Sith.

He could say Talay. That wouldn't be a lie. But, it wouldn't be true either.

And, if she was sincere, then a lie was a terrible way to say hello. His amber eyes flicked upward, as he seemed to have some doubts as to how to answer. Then, taking a deep breath, said. "Kashyyyk."

"I'm from Kashyyyk."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom