Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Lost and Forgotten [Tiland]

Outer Rim - Shimia
Pyeth trudged the sun-baked streets, the hollow shell of a lightsaber dangling beneath the battle scorched leather of his belt, not that it mattered. Its heart was missing, a piece of him he never discovered. The collapse of the Confederacy hit people hard, forgotten warlords and suppressed pirates staked their claim on former Confederate territories. A part of the galaxy left to the crucible of war.

Technically Shimia had escaped the worst of it. Its proximity to the Corellian Run meant many minor factions held interests in the region, enough interest it seemed that few Warlords dared expose themselves to it. However, this also made it the natural haven for refugees. Pyeth included. He had come here hoping for safe passage to Ryloth or Wrea where he might charter a vessel to the Motherworld Rishii. And where there was desperation, there was exploitation.

It pained him to admit it, but he was one of those people. His skills as an Apothecary were desperately needed, so much so that refugees would pay him twofold for his services. His first patient today was the father of a family, a Metallurgy Engineer from Eos. The toxic fumes of industry had left him with a case of severe asthma. After exhausting their supply of medication they turned to him and others for help. According to the engineer's mate, he was the cheapest and most reliable of the lot.

Outside their tent, he could hear the wheezing coughs. With a sharp inhale, Rishi composed himself and stepped inside. A human woman with ebon hair knelt by her partner's hammock, a middle-aged man face haggard and drained of colour. Their hatchling cried silently in the other corner, trying her best not to look at him or her father's condition. "How long has he been like this?" Pyeth asked.

The woman turned to face him, eyes watering and marking streaks of dirt away from her face. "An hour now."

Kneeling he pulled the man into an upright position, "Hey Rendain, are you listening?"

The man nodded slowly, between the fits looking somewhat uncomfortable with a hooked beak nearby. "Okay. Try to relax and breathe slowly. Sierra, please fetch us some boiling water."

Unquestioning of his reasons, the woman agreed, rushing out of the tent and charging through the outside crowds to a relief station. With the partner gone, Pyeth doubtfully shook his head. An hour was a long time without any treatment. His clawed hands trembled, and the child's sobbing intensified. Memories of his mother flooded back to him, the helplessness he felt as her condition worsened and the tribal healers could do nothing to help.

Under his breath, Pyeth cursed his weakness. Grasping the man's arm his eyes closed, 'You must relax Pyeth. Reach out and feel their suffering. Trace it to the source, touch the Force. And...'

Wide-eyed Pyeth fell back into the dirt, his tail collapsing behind him and plumage ruffling. He swallowed the air trying to fill his empty lungs, feeling as though he almost drowned in an ocean of his own making. He overdid it and was now suffering the consequences, but he could live with being exhausted if it meant the man's condition improved. Weakly, he looked at the person who was now staring at him in a mixture of confusion and relief. "What did you-"

"Nothing." Pyeth choked, his throat dry. He heard the woman return, look at her husband, and rush to embrace him. If Pyeth could smile, he'd be practically glowing. "In that pouch... There is a herbal mixture and a sort of local honey. Mix with boiling water to make a tea and drink it every four hours... it will help stop any more attacks. Now if I could please ask for my fee?"

"Y-yes of course." The woman said, hastily handing him a couple of hundred credits. Not nearly enough to get him off-planet, but a good contribution. Talons trembled, oxygen-deprived muscles struggling with his weight. "Are you okay? You can stay a bit longer if you need to rest?"

"That is very kind of you, but I have other patients who need seeing too, and it would be unfair for me to be late." He wanted to say yes, but he couldn't bring himself to abuse her hospitality after robbing them of a hundred credits. Best he leave now before the authorities or someone else got involved.

Pyeth Raffinki Pyeth Raffinki

The Force rippled through the air around him and Tiland tilted his head, eyes half-closed. Not Dark. Light, certainly, as far he could tell, but there was something different about it, something he couldn't recognize. He paused for a moment and let his instincts guide him through the streets.

He didn't know who he was looking for, or what. A Jedi, perhaps? Or some other Force-sensitive? He hadn't heard of any other Pilgrims or members of the Light Hand in the area, so it must have been somebody else.

One of the White Lotus Jedi from the Confederacy, perhaps? He didn't think it would be any of the Silvers or the NJO, not this far out. His sandals threw up puffs of dust on the dry world as he wandered through the town, stopping to speak quietly to different vendors and individuals on the street corners, feeling the presence going stronger.

Tiland let out a small ripple of Force energy roll away from him, hopefully enough to be detected by the other person. It would be warm, inviting, and non-threatening before he took a seat not far from a public fountain to see what the response would be.

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Cradling the bounty close to his chest, he took his chances ducking into a small alley. It wasn't only the authorities he had to worry about, thieves, bandits, and brigands were all just as likely to see the isolated Rishi as a target. Not that many people knew what a Rishi was, of course. The shade brought welcomed relief, his plumage standing on end to help vent heat.

Kneeling Pyeth unbundled the package, not to find the credits he had been looking for but a small collection of electrum plated jewellery. His feathers knotted around his body, becoming smaller. They had a worth, of course, but not to the people that truly mattered. People that could get him off this rock. Maybe he could find someone, a prawn broker or something that would give him a fair price. His tail twitched.

He felt the Force before, but not like this. Nothing like the distant winds emitted by Lord Voph, instead this was softer. Strong, absolutely, but not in the same sense. This wind was different, warmer and less overwhelming. An invitation?

Pyeth glanced down again, collecting his payment and moving towards the epicentre of the wind. It led him through narrower streets, deeper into the city, and well beyond his usual territory. After so many years travelling the galaxy, he got used to the odd look people gave him or the snide comment - he learned well from his experiences on Talay not to rise to that challenge.

He tracked it to a small plaza where tourists and visitors gathered for their daily dives into the inner city, ignorant of the troubles further along the outskirts from where he came. Colourful as heraldry they meandered about enjoying the local architecture. Not so long ago Pyeth might have counted himself amongst them, a stranger who had no right travelling the stars, seeing all that civilisations had accomplished in the time his people lived in humble nests.

"Did I lose the trail?" He asked himself, looking around for anyone who might have stood out. With so many people around, none troubled themselves to notice his eyes eventually locked onto the elderly man. No, he was far too old. Has this been another waste of time? Was even the Force now betraying him?

Pyeth sighed, finally moving towards the old humanoid. "Sir," he said, mimicking the tones of a human butler he met on Talay. "You wouldn't have happened to have seen anyone bearing the Obsidian Knights regalia, would you?"

Tiland paused in surprise and looked up, frowning for a moment as a figure approached him and spoke, oddly formal. It took him a few moments to place the species. Rishi was his guess, although it had been a long time since he visited the Rishi maze and its inhabitants. The tone of voice was a bit odd, oddly stilted and formal. A Knights Obsidian regalia? That raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"No, although I must confess to not being familiar with the Knights Obsidian," Tiland said at last, adjusting his seat to make a little more room on the bench should the alien want a place to sit. Not that he wasn't also an alien in this world. They all were, really, especially along the Corellian Run. The crossroads of the Outer Rim along here, with people coming and going from all corners.

He paused for a moment, looking up at the feathered being. "Though, if it was assistance you needed, I may be able to provide some assistance. My name is Tiland Kortun, and there are those who call me a Jedi."

Tiland brushed some of the dust off the bench and pulled a thermos of hot water from his satchel. "Might I interest you in some tea?"

"I was being too hopeful then." Pyeth collapsed into the seat defeated, letting his tail hang and rest at his side. He did not expect the caretakers would be so happy to fish out feathers. Then he mentioned something else, his name. Tiland. Jedi?

"It was you then; you're the one I sensed," Pyeth spoke cautiously, as Tiland reached for his satchel Pyeth tensed talons finding purchase on the stonework. If Tiland attacked, he'd leap away, hopefully avoiding any alpha strike and giving himself room to flee into the city. Ordinarily, he might have done so already but he was desperate, and this meeting might have been fate.

Then he saw the flask and relaxed a little, "My name is Pyeth, I am... was a student of the White Lotus and like many of the refugees here I'm trying to find my way home." He corrected himself before adding, "Strange. I've never thought to use tea for anything besides medicine. Does drinking it regularly have any benefits, or do you drink it for pleasure like the bitter thing people call alcohol?" Pyeth shuddered to recall the bitter poison.

Tiland raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Too hopeful?" He felt the tension in younger figure and slowed his movements, emphasizing careful, deliberate action rather than anything quick or surprising. "And likely I was! I had felt something in the Force and sent out an invitation to whomever might have sensed it."

He pulled out a small teapot, pouring in the hot water, and carefully selecting the appropriate tea leaves, bruising them gently with his hands before crumpling them into the water. Aromatic steam wafted up from the water as he leaned back to wait for it to steep.

"Ah, excellent, excellent. I spent a brief time with the White Lotus, before they joined with the rest of the Knights Obsidian and the Confederacy. Good people, when I was there."

At the questions about the tea, he nearly had to choke back a laugh. "Well, drinking it regularly has many health benefits, at least for humanoids, but I drink it for sustenance. Although its flavor can also be adjusted by changing the kinds of leaves and herbs you add to it. And by home, where would that be?"

Pyeth watched Tiland preparing the tea, with slow delicate movements. Almost like he was undertaking a practiced ritual, explaining the steps as he went. It was interesting to hear of the benefits, even if Tiland didn't elaborate. Maybe he should study those at the... Nevermind.

He wondered what it would taste like, not bitter he hoped but only time could tell. He nodded slowly, "They were family, for what little time I had with them."

The question posed, was difficult but not unexpected.

"Rishi." He said, knowing no other answer. What other place was there?

"I can think of no other place in this Galaxy. I hatched and grew up there, would still be there now if I hadn't..." He paused looking at his talons. Did he regret it? Saving Aashi? Given a second chance would he surrender her life for his? Did she still remember him...

He shook his head realising he was starting to tear up. Inhaling the aromas to try and clear his mind, it helped if only a little. The questions were there still, unanswered at the back of his mind. He looked again at Tiland unsure if to ask in the end he wasn't ready fearing it might end their conversation and any hope he had left.

Instead he focused on the tea, "What sort of herbs have you got?" He tried to get a closer look leaning in.

Tiland nodded as Pyeth spoke, "Of course. Being part of such an order builds a lot of trust and reliance on each other. To have that connection lost is something tragic and worth grieving for, especially as such memberships are often part of our members. Losing it can be like losing part of our self."

He nodded again, bending over to inspect the tea. "Very understandable then. Home is important and has quite a strong connection." There was something Tiland felt in the Force, uncertainty and sorrow, and something cautious. He made no mention of it, nor any sign that he could feel.

"Quite a few for this one. This is a typical tea, with a white tea base, so much smoother taste than a black tea base, mixed with mint, some cloves, and some cinnamon. Nothing particularly medicinal or mystic in this one, but it has a nice smooth, rich flavor."

Straightening himself, Pyeth kept the teapot in his field of view listening to the sweet whistle of building pressure. It resonated with something inside him, and instinctively he issued the sound to memory for replication at a later date. "You would think after the first time, I'd be more prepared. Instead, it compounds." He trilled in feigned laughter.

After feeling the pulse summoned him, Pyeth expected the Jedi to probe and crack him open like an egg. On the contrary, Tiland was respectful enough to not do that or at least not let those thoughts cloud his judgement. Had their roles been reversed he could not say he'd show as much restraint. It was refreshing not to feel the pressure of his Masters.

"White Tea," Pyeth murmured thoughtfully, trying to identify the connection between white and black. He knew his poultices had been called green tea by a Jedi before, long ago when they visited his tribe and alleviated his mother's pain.

"Mint, cloves, and cinnamon." He repeated, inhaling the warm air. Passing through his nostrils and deep into his lungs, it was sweet and spicy. Like the collection of spices, his tribe kept them for special occasions. Aashi liked smoked krak'jya with Pekioli, "I wonder what it would taste like with Pekioli," He thought aloud relaxing into his surroundings for the first time. Pekioli was sweet, well for his kind at least. Others species appeared to avoid it, complaining it was too hot.

"Although, I suppose it might be overpowering. Tea always seemed like something that should be delicate."

"Indeed," Tiland said, watching the tea until it was just the right temperature. "The leaves are picked very early, before the leaves unfold all the way, so they are very delicate. The blend of spices adds a richer flavor."

He inhaled slowly, letting a small smile spread across his face. "It is a delectable combination when steeped just long enough enough to bring out the full flavors without any bitterness. I must confess I have not tried Pekiloi, what is the flavor like?"

Tiland kept himself calm and relaxed before slowly removing the ester from the heat and pouring it into both cups, which he offered to his companion and leaning back into the bench with a contented sigh, watching the rest of the crowds surge back and forth through the streets. "Tea can be many things, including delicate, but it can also be strong. It depends primarily on what flavor you like and for what sort of purpose you are making it for. It can be made however you like, much like the beings we meet."

Pyeth eyes gleamed with excitement, "Pekiloi is a root we crushed into a powder, it was mildly sweet. Well, for my people at least. Other species have complained it's too hot, but that seems to be an attraction of its own for a rare few." He explained, not wishing to mislead Tiland into experiencing something he might not have been prepared for.

"I would love to share it with you, who knows what delicacies you could concoct with it." Pyeth chirped, mildly curious to know what Tiland could do with it.

Pyeth took the cup, following Tilands' gaze to the crowds. He listened staring into the cup at his own reflect, wondering what Tiland thought of him, or had he already announced that with the shared cup.

After giving it sometime to cool, he poured a few drops into his beak. After several weeks of dried meat and cold fluids, the warmth was a welcomed delight.

"The Galaxy and its people are colourful." He admitted, "And I know my circumstances aren't unique." He sighed beginning to regret taking such a large payment.

"Am I wrong to use the Force to benefit me, when others care not for my plights?" He didn't expect Tiland to answer. "A lot of these people are here to indulge themselves, feigning ignorance. It's a very bitter tea." He sighed, there was nothing for it. He was just as bad, if not worse for taking advantage even if his motivations weren't inherently good or evil. Just selfish.

"But I fear mine wouldn't be much better." He took another drink smiling behind his beak.

"Tiland, can I ask to accompany you on your adventures? I would like to observe your interactions with the Galaxy."

Tiland's eyes gleamed with interest for a moment, "Both sweet... and too hot. That sounds fascinating for a flavorful profile. Our palates must be quite different to have such different interpretations." Another pause as took a slow sip of the tea, letting the flavors and energy seep through him.

At the first question, he pursed his lips, considering, watching the ripples of tea as he considered, before looking up. "Is it wrong for an artist to use their talent to feed themselves? Or a doctor to use their training? I have survived the collapse of more than one government. It is not easy and there are many decisions we must make that might never have expected."

Another pause to contemplate his next words. "The question is more of motive. Are you using the Force to benefit yourself beyond your needs, willfully profiting off of the hardship of others? Then that could be wrong, but no more than a businessman who raises the prices on the desperate." He gave a small laugh at the comment on the tea. "There can be a richness to bitterness, that adds a depth to our experiences, even if we do not appreciate it at the time. And you are more than welcome to accompany me, although I cannot say where I am going or how."

Pyeth nodded, "I was speaking to an old botanist friend about it some years ago. He said there were similar examples elsewhere in the Galaxy, usually a product of evolution to encourage a particular species for one reason or another. Maybe my ancestors were herbivores?" Pyeth suggested recalling the days he spent serving aboard the Charytee a merchant ship running 'medicine' if you could call semi-legal drugs that.

"Even so, it is a hard swallow, that people are so easy to ignore the plight of others. My people spend their lives supporting and looking out for one another, or at least that's what I thought." Pyeth sighed, recalling how quick they were to exile him, for protecting one of their own. Surely, a life had to take priority over their core beliefs.

Seeing Tiland take a sip, he poured some more into his beak swallowing it down. He exhaled through his nostrils relaxing and listening, as Tiland offered his reply. He had learned to expect disappointment but would hold no ill will against the gentleman, so when the words left his lips Pyeth momentarily froze trying to process the information. Silently, he took another sip freeing his beak.

"You speak sincerely?" He said in disbelief, "At this point, I would not complain if you were to wander the galaxy in search of the rarest ingredients. It would be my pleasure to merely observe and assist in whatever capacity I can. I can be a translator, or maybe see that any collection of herbs you have is well taken care of. Anything just so long as I am not trapped on this planet." Pyeth said excitedly.

Tiland nodded, pausing to smooth his mustache for a moment. "That is certainly a possibility. Evolutionary botany I must admit knowing very little about, but it is certainly fascinating to see how species and cultures adapt over time."

Another pause for tea, listening and letting his silence rest comfortably, leaving room for Pyeth to continue speaking, or to think, whichever he wished.

He clasped his fingers together around the mug, head tilted. "It is indeed difficult to come to terms with how comfortable many are with the suffering of many." He shrugged after a moment. "It's not an answer I have ever been able to find." Another slow shrug. "I try to focus on my own thoughts and actions. That is all I ultimately have control over, and perhaps my example can help prompt other people."

The enthusiasm took him by surprise and he gave a bemused smile. "I always speak with sincerity with such offers, my friend. I would not lie or mock about such things. And company would be nice, finally. I would be delighted to have a travel companion."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom