Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The journal of Jantar Keltainen – a study of dark-sided magic

Jantar Keltainen

Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak
The following is a verbatim transcript of a personal journal of a Sith. It was discovered long after her death and reflects a lifetime of work, presumably written towards the end of her time. There is no indication of when she learned the various aspects of dark-sided magic, nor her competence.

The journal appears to have been written as learning has been gained, with additional notes made in the margins.

Jantar Keltainen

Foreword

“It’s an innate gift.”
― Darth Tenebrous

In studying various documents, holocrons and in speaking to various practitioners of what is generically known as Sith Magic, it occurred to me that there was not one reference point.

So, I have taken all of the knowledge I have amassed through my endeavours to compile as complete a picture of dark-sided as possible – and committed it to a single document.

It is worth noting that this journal does not include any aspect of Sith alchemy. Although this has many crossovers, and some who are competent at one are also knowledgeable of the other, I do not personally have a gift for alchemy and have not therefore pursued knowledge in this area.

Jantar Keltainen

Dark-sided magic

It would be remiss to consider individual spells and rituals, without first sharing my views, experiences and opinions on the broad subject of dark-sided magic.

Firstly, it is worth noting that the terminology can be confusing and, despite commonly held beliefs, should actually be conflated. Sith magic, Sith sorcery, dark-sided magic, Nightsister magick – they all share key factors that makes them, in my opinion, one and the same.

They draw on the dark-side of the Force.

“The Force can be bent to your will, but often there is a cost. The most powerful rituals of the dark side exact a toll few are willing to pay.”
― An unnamed Sith Master of the Dromund Kaas Sith Academy

The traditionally held view is that dark-sided magic is exclusively a Sith practice and an an arcane expression of Force ability. It is true that many spells and rituals we know of were first developed and practiced by the original Sith species through which they manipulated the power of the dark side. But others were using the dark-side in similar ways and this should not be overlooked, or underestimated.

Sith magic was prevalent among the citizens of the ancient Sith Empire, and its disciplines were adhered to throughout the span of galactic history, predating even the inception of the longstanding Galactic Republic.

Proponents of Sith magic revived its practice briefly during the New Sith Wars, but it became something of an oddity following the reformation of the Republic in 1000 BBY.

Still, the allure of Sith magic survived through the fall of the Republic in 19 BBY and the subsequent Galactic Civil War, and curious Force-sensitives learned to harness its power from obscure temples on long-forgotten planets and moons. By 137 ABY, the magic of the Sith was studied by the foremost loremasters of Darth Krayt’s One Sith Order.

By those against whom it was used, Sith magic was described as the full destructive power of the dark side of the Force. Like any application of the dark-side, its strength was derived from negative emotions, and grew stronger and more corrupting with each expression.

The magic of the ancient Sith was a complex power that assaulted an individual’s psyche in ways that were both difficult to comprehend and defend against. Only beings with considerable strength of will were able to resist its psychological effects. Conversely, a Sith sorcerer’s concentration was able to be interrupted by Force-users skilled in the art of Jedi battle meditation, and their magical creations could be undone by pure manifestations of the light side of the Force.

Sith magic was perceived differently by those who were subjected to its power. Some Force-sensitive beings felt as though it consumed their life energy, while others became physically weaker and felt like all their strength was being siphoned. Some sensitives without any Force training suffered from headaches while in an atmosphere permeated with the residual energy of Sith magic.

Its power was enticing, and sometimes manifested as a musical undercurrent—beautiful to some, hideous to others — to lure the unsuspecting. Sith magic tempted the curious with what was believed to be limitless dark side power, and such an opportunity compelled many to explore further.

But despite the various reasons individuals aspired to learn the ways of the dark side, two common themes were found in all those who subscribed to the study of Sith magic: reaching their full Force-potential and the pursuit of ever-greater power.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Bane believed that beings with a true affinity for Sith magic were few and far between. To him, Sith magic allowed an individual to channel the dark side with maximum effect in ways that he, even as the prophesied ‘Sith’ari,’ was unable to do.

“Not all knowledge is pure; some is touched by evil. There are secrets that must remain hidden; forbidden teachings that should remain forever buried. There is a dark side to the Force. Unchecked it brings death and destruction. The Council of First Knowledge is sworn to keep this terrible power from being unleashed, but the influence of the dark side is scattered throughout the galaxy, as are the tools it uses to spread: ancient texts of Sith sorcery; amulets imbued with malevolent energy; tainted crystals that can corrupt the minds of the innocent. Sometimes these artifacts are discovered by accident, and they fall into the hands of unsuspecting victims. They become agents of the dark side, wreaking havoc across the galaxy…unless we get to them in time. We are trained in the handling of dark side artifacts. Some can be destroyed, but others are too powerful and must be safeguarded.”
― Jedi Master Obba

Despite their best efforts, the Jedi were unable to prevent the curious from seeking out sources of Sith magic. But since the days of the Old Republic, Sith magic had elicited fear from the Jedi. Members of the Order actively pursued practitioners of Sith sorcery, and took painstaking measures to hide, destroy, or contain the objects that assisted Sith magicians in their conjurations.

Jantar Keltainen

The nature of dark-sided magic

There are two broad applications of dark-sided magic that are practiced – illusion and physical manifestations. One of the delights of employing dark-sided magic is that each type requires a different approach to counter, so the victim has to first appreciate dark-sided magic is being used against them, and then decided which form. This inevitable delay can be the difference between life and death for the target of the attack.

In terms of illusion magic, only through intense concentration on the Force was an individual able to separate truth from falsehood. At an advanced level, even computer systems were unable to discern the fallacy of phantasmal images.

“Out of the dark well of night they came, creatures born to the coldness of space. Devouring planets, swallowing stars, and drawing all ships to their deaths!”
― An illusion spell

If there is an argument for a third category, it is for mental manipulation – although it could be countered that most spells fell into one of the other classes – or even a variation of standard Sith abilities.

Some dark-sided magic is performed by hand gestures, others by incantations and the remainder through the caster’s mind. Evidence has shown that, at an advanced level, hand gestures and incantations can be eschewed by a true master of a given spell or ritual.

Jantar Keltainen

Incantations

For some applications, spellcasting was an essential quality of dark-sided magic, as its practitioners believed that giving voice to an incantation tapped the strength of countless Sith sorcerers long passed.

Any that required vocalisation were typically scribed in the Sith language, and could only be recited in said tongue – although some come from the Nightsister school of magick.

Jantar Keltainen

Sorcerers

“A rare few have a natural affinity for the dark side itself. They can delve into the depths of the Force and summon arcane energies to twist and warp the world around them. They can invoke ancient rituals of the Sith; they can invoke power and unleash terrible spells and dark magics.”
― Darth Bane

During my travels and research, I have encountered the work of a great many sorcerers. Their work has been included in this journal and I suspect that some of what I have learned is from long-dead Sith not named. But for the purpose of keeping a record of known sources, I offer the following as individuals whose learning and teaching have ultimately contributed to this journal. They are listed in alphabetical order and it is a far point that not all have contributed equally to my studies, but all are shown for completeness:

Adalric Cessius Brandl
Ajunta Pall
Aleema Keto
Darth Andeddu
Darth Bane
Darth Krayt
Darth Malak
Darth Nox
Darth Nyriss
Darth Plagueis
Darth Revan
Darth Sidious
Darth Thanaton
Darth Tyranus
Darth Vilus
Darth Zannah
Darth Zash
Dathka Graush
Exar Kun
Freedon Nadd
Karness Muur
Kharys
Kyp Durron
Ludo Kressh
Marka Ragnos
Marka Ragnos
Naga Sadow
Ommin
Rokur Gepta
Satal Keto
Set Harth
Sorzus Syn
Thannor Keth
Thaum Rystra
Tulak Hord
Valik Kodank

In addition, the following groups and cults provided additional information:
The Dread Masters
Naddists
The Nightsisters
Sorcerers of Tund

“Weakling! You will never reach your potential if you falter at the slightest obstacle. Beyond that wall lies your destiny. Beyond that wall lies the full power of the dark side. If you do not have the strength to reach it, then you do not deserve to become a Sith sorcerer!”
― The spirit of Freedon Nadd

In simple terms, my understanding is that a dark-sided sorcerer or sorceress (as some female practitioners prefer to be called) was an individual who was proficient in the arts of dark-sided magic, using spells, talismans, or incantations to focus the power of the dark side.

Occasionally, an aspiring sorcerer’s powers were developed through sheer innate talent, rather than harnessing them through study, spontaneously, or being bestowed upon them by another source. The term was synonymous with magician, with females who practiced magic being sometimes referred to as witches.

It is worth noting, finally, before I turn my attention to specific dark-sided spells and rituals, that Sith sorcerers were not always Sith Lords – and Sith Lords were definitely not all Sith sorcerers.

Jantar Keltainen

The following list of dark-sided spells and rituals has been re-ordered into an alphabetical listing for convenience – and therefore does not reflect the order they appeared in the journal. In addition, hand-written additional notes have been incorporated into the body of the text where appropriate.

Jantar Keltainen

Aura of uneasiness

Also known as: Shadow of uneasiness
Area: Control and Alter
Notable practitioners: Amanoa, Kyp Durron, Exar Kun, Freedon Nadd, Ommin , Warb Null

“Aleema…I suddenly feel ill.”
― Satal Keto suffering from King Ommin’s aura of uneasiness

An aura or shadow of uneasiness was an ancient technique conjured through Sith magic that allowed an individual to proceed unabated by projecting a field of vague unease around themselves.

While non-sentient creatures were primarily affected, cognisant beings also succumbed to its influence, experiencing feelings of confusion and discomfort when in close proximity to an individual emanating an aura of uneasiness

In practical terms, using the dark side of the Force to project an aura of uneasiness around oneself allowed a sentient being to rid themselves of the nuisance of creatures that might otherwise cause them distress. When inside the aura’s sphere of influence, animals and insects were compelled to avoid the path of the aura’s projector, thus allowing the individual to proceed without delay.

When performed in the presence of other sentient beings, the aura caused individuals to suffer from a sensation of intense malaise. Force-sensitives experienced an expanding sense of darkness, as well as an inability to concentrate on whatever task they were attempting to perform at that moment.

The ability was relatively simple to create and control, but its area of effect, although more potent when in close proximity to the point of origin, was restricted to the initiator’s line of sight.

Jantar Keltainen

Qâzoi Kyantuska

Also known as: Affect mind, control mind
Area: Control, Sense, and Alter
Notable practitioners: Adalric Cessius Brandl, Cartariun, Satal Keto, Exar Kun, Freedon Nadd, Novar, Ommin

“Let the power of my mind guide you! Yours is the muscle, but mine is the will!”
― Cartariun, exerting his influence over the Irrukiine

Qâzoi Kyantuska (translated as Suppress Thought in Basic and otherwise known as control mind) was a Sith magical ability that made the wielder effectively able to control and influence the minds of anyone they chose.

Employers of Qâzoi Kyantuska were capable of using the Force to telepathically dominate a single mind, or a multitude of individuals simultaneously. There didn’t appear to be any incantation or gestures required, as known users were shown to have simply been in the presence of their victims. The affected were seemingly in a trance, hypnotically paralyzed and unable to control their own faculties. Should the conjurer choose, the victim could end their own life, usually against their own will. If the caster was in direct physical contact with an individual, they could tap directly into the individual’s mind, and force them into whatever action they so desired.

Jantar Keltainen

Aspect of the Storm

This was a Nightsister technique that could turn the inky blackness of the sky into bright, white threads of lightning strikes.

I would liken this to Force storm.

Jantar Keltainen

Blood trail

A blood trail was a technique where a Nightsister would use her own blood to mark her target and track them through the blood mark using the Force in case they escaped. What was most useful was the fact that the shed blood used for a blood trail could not be removed once the trail was set.

Jantar Keltainen

The chant of resurrection

“Choono slalem denni tay'lori olee-ay. Lucheno vadem klavlane. Blenay vedi nalem koreem. Blenay vedi nalem koreem. Villos susko kono lamal! Vlemon tagoo!”

The Chant of Resurrection was a powerful dark spell of Dathomir magick that could temporarily resurrect the dead, so long as the caster remained active. And like all Nightsister magicks, the spell appeared as a green mist.

Jantar Keltainen

Control web

Also known as: Crawler's Perch or Guiding Net

This was a power wielded by the Nightsisters of Dathomir. The control web had to be initiated by several Nightsisters, in order to control the minds of creatures beneath the web.

Jantar Keltainen

Corpse vision

Notable practitioners: Darth Tyranus

“Annie ... Annie.”
“Mother.”
“Anakin! It’s a vision. Nothing more.”
― Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi wrenches his Padawan Anakin Skywalker out of a corpse vision amidst the tombs of the Sith Lords, within an ancient mausoleum in the Valley of the Dark Lords on Korriban

A corpse vision was a dark side Force power, akin to invoke spirits, conjured through Sith magic by a Sith sorcerer, that summoned the spirits of deceased Dark Lords while playing upon the Force sense of Force-sensitives to produce mind-tricking visions. Under the Sith practitioner’s spell, the corpses would metamorphose into intimate images from the Force-sensitive’s past that would whisper twisted, potentially damaging messages to the recipient.

“You were always so afraid of disappointing me ... And you have.”
It’s not real. It’s not real.
“You’ve failed me, Obi-Wan.”
Not ... real.
“And you don’t even know why.”
― Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is himself afflicted by a corpse vision of Qui-Gon Jinn deep within an ancient Sith mausoleum in the Valley of the Dark Lords

Jantar Keltainen

Dark energy trap

Notable practitioners: Darth Tyranus

“Stop. Energy trap ... Concentrations of dark power. They are capable of immobilizing a Jedi ...”
“I don’t see anything,” Ferus said.
“Look away, then look back. Use the Force,” Siri instructed.
“I see it,” Darra said.
“There will be more,” Obi-Wan warned. “The Padawans must be very careful. You most likely won’t be able to escape alone. Stay close to your Masters.”
―Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Siri Tachi instruct their Padawans on how to avoid the Sith-set dark energy traps deep within an ancient mausoleum in the Valley of the Dark Lords on Korriban

A dark energy trap was a dark side Force power, conjured through Sith magic by a Sith sorcerer. Dark energy traps resulted from intense concentrations of dark-side power. To a trained eye, they appeared as faint shimmers of purple in the air and, under the Sith practitioner’s spell, could immobilize even a skilled Force-sensitive being for a time. They could, on the other hand, entrap indeterminately in duration a being who was unskilled.

“Master! ... I just need the Force. Obi-Wan said a Master can summon the Force and fight this. I am as good as a Master. I can do this.”
―18-year-old Anakin Skywalker is caught by a Sith-set dark energy trap deep within an ancient mausoleum in Korriban’s Valley of the Dark Lords

Jantar Keltainen

Dark side ritual

Notable practitioners: Darth Sidious

“It is an old art of the dark side.”
― Darth Sidious to Darth Tyranus

I am unsure if this is an accurate or even representative description of the power – but it is the only one recorded. I was therefore tempted rename the ritual – but decided to hold true to ancient teachings, although explain my misgivings about the nomenclature.

A dark side ritual was an old Sith magical art. It required a connection between two beings and a drop of blood from one of the two. The ritual was started by chanting a certain phrase and feeding the drop of blood with Force lightning on an altar. The blood donor then would have to focus on the other person.

The dark side ritual was a means by which Sith Lords could attack their enemies from a distance by wielding the power of dark illusion. To the intended victim, the illusion would appear to be true events and be unrecognizable as being an illusion.

Within the illusions, the person would be able to communicate with fictitious doubles of individuals they knew and be able to perform all abilities they could in reality. They would also be susceptible to pain and suffering within the illusions. The individual could also be killed within the illusion and as a result die in reality.

“Kintik hadzuska sutta chwituskak! Kintik hadzuska sutta chwituskak! Jiaasjen Jidai, jiassjen Jidai!”
― Darth Sidious invokes the ritual

The ritual required the participation of two Sith Lords, one who shared a Force-bond with another Force user and a Sith Master to perform the actual ceremony. The two Sith would stand besides a sacrificial altar basin. The Sith who shared the Force bond would allow himself to be cut so a single drop of his blood could be added to the water in the altar basin. Once added, the water would turn black.

The ceremony would then begin as the Sith master started to recite an ancient Sith incantation in the Balc tongue. Near end of the incantation, both Sith would strike the water with Force lightning which caused it to start to emit an eerie mist. To enact the illusion, the Sith Master would then immerse his face towards the basin and receive the ability to cast the power of dark illusion and enter the mind of their victim to manipulate it.

If the intended victim was a Jedi, the Sith could mask their presence by coming to the Jedi as a familiar face of someone they trusted.

Jantar Keltainen

Dark side tendrils

Notable practitioners: Kyp Durron, Exar Kun, Darth Zannah

This is one of my personal favourites!

Dark side tendrils were pure manifestations of malevolent Force energy summoned through Sith magic. These tendrils rose in the form of black mist from the ground and took the form of serpentine tentacles which swarmed their victim and attacked with the power of the pure dark side.

Exceptionally powerful and difficult to conjure, this Force power required complete mental concentration. When conjured by a seasoned Sith sorcerer, dark side tendrils were able to instantly annihilate any kind of matter they get in contact with, as well as subject the individual who got injured to the full scope of the void of the dark side.

Jantar Keltainen

Dwomutsiqsa

Also known as: Summon Demon
Notable practitioners: Kharys

“Woyunoks hadzuska koshûjontû.”
― First line of the incantation

Dwomutsiqsa (meaning ‘Summon Demon’ in Sith) was an ancient Sith incantation that summoned a manifestation of the dark side known as the Smoke Demon.

The ancient Sith ritual of Dwomutsiqsa was written on scrolls. Through this incantation, the caster would concentrate the air and the energy around them to conjure a dream-beast known as the Smoke Demon. This creature had no true form, and it would assume the shape of its victim’s worst fear.

When read aloud by an imprudent user, this spell released malevolence as a safeguard against them who wished to unravel the mystery of the scrolls.

Jantar Keltainen

Ears of the Chiroptix

This was a Nightsister spell that gave the user increased hearing capabilities. It allowed the user to hear ‘whispers’ and to, in essence, see with sound by painting pictures of hidden places from the sounds emanating from those places – similar to radar used by bats – or the Force sense Force Sight.

The name originated from the chiroptix, a creature from Dathomir with a keen sense of hearing.

Jantar Keltainen

Enhance Force Sensitivity

“Let this power enter you and fill you with the knowledge and the strength of the dark side of the Force that is mine to give—!”
― Palpatine empowering his Dark Jedi

Enhance Force Sensitivity was a very powerful act, in which a Force-sensitive would give a lesser Force-sensitive a boost in power through use of a ritual ceremony that could take place in any location. This ritual would empower the recipient with the Dark side of the Force, greatly increasing their existing powers, and creating a disturbance that could be felt around the galaxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom