Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campaign The Imynusoph Run: Sarrish-Carida

SARRISH
MAIN SPACEPORT

Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Gren Blidh Gren Blidh Milla Kryst Milla Kryst Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei Aeson Keel Aeson Keel

Unlike the party that was still running on Imynusoph, the events of the race on Sarrish were more subdued. A crowd of locals who had been following the events and were thrilled that they were included had started up a party of their own, with support from the local Guildhall, but it was smaller and less raucously chaotic than the one at the race's start and, presumably, the race's end. But still, at the space port cantina there was a battle of the bands duking it out for who could be the loudest and the cantina owner had dropped the prices on booze, just a tiny bit, enough to make it feel like buying far more than usual was the same price as before.

Along the edge of the spaceport, merchants from Sarrish and the local systems had set up pop-up booths and blankets with race memorabilia and touristy things as the small crowd pressed against the edge of the port, waving pennants and custom t-shirts with their favored racer. Some had even started up competing chants to pit against the volume of the bands in the cantina not far away.

Along the docked ships, the Guild inspectors were rushing about their business to inspect each ship before the next leg, as well as the new updates and tweaks the racers may have chosen to utilize for the next leg, as well ensuring fuel was topped up. Not that things couldn't go wrong when put under the strain of a race, as the last leg had proven, but this would at least help make sure nobody was going to explode into a ball of flame the first time they dropped out of hyperspace. Funerals were expensive after all.

When the time came, the loudspeakers set up blared to life, the speaker being a Troig representative for the Merchant-Captain's Guild.

"And here are, devoted spacer fans of the galaxy! The first leg of the race is completed and we find ourselves at the edge of the Core!" The first head spoke, waving its set of hands wildly.

"Thought by many to be cursed, these regions have been at the forefront of a brutal religious war fought between Jedi with their political supporters and the Sith and their soldiers for decades as various iterations and successor states to the Galactic Republic have snatched at Coruscant for the symbolic victory. Who knows what might happen on this leg? The Core has seen treachery, massacre, brutal battles, raids, even assaults from ancient supernatural beings who dwell beyond the grav-"

"It's not cursed!"
The first head spoke up again, cutting off his partner head. "Think about it, man, it's the middle of the galaxy. Anyone going anywhere in the fastest way possible is going to come through here."

"Hush, Breeble, you're ruining my dramatic narrative."

"Oh, shut up Brox. We're race announcers not hosts on some pseudohistorical late-night holo-channel."

The cameras quickly switched to a Zabrak in a ship captain's uniform as the four hands of the original commentator started to fly at the different heads. The Iridonian woman cleared her throat awkwardly as she moved to one side, to move the camera farther away from the original commentators.

"Welcome, everyone to the second leg of the Imynusoph Run! While only slightly longer in total distance, we expect this run to take significantly longer, given the unstable political situation in the Core, derived from the multiple wars whose front lines this leg will run very close to, and the shifting and uncertain political situation across the Coreward powers, but even moreso from the high amount of traffic that passes through here. While Imynusoph and Sarrish are small, out-of-the-way worlds, this next leg ends on the legendary world of Carida, long known for its militancy and the importance it places on its military history and traditions. After that, the ancient ecumenopolis world of Taris! Many of the great wonders of the galaxy can be found through this region for the intrepid tourist willing to risk traveling through an unstable region, but it is still highly worth a visit, not only for the business and commercial prospects but the history and culture that developed here as well.

Racers, start your engines!"

Six holo-displays appeared in the air, with each racer's time accounted for, and a larger display counting down to the launching point.

"Five! Four! Three! Two! One!" With that, a horn would blow and great cheers erupted from the onlookers as the second leg of the race began.

Checking the math of the trip, Coren and Cuan were arguing just how long they were underway, but Porter, the droid, was the one who gave them the proper time. Seemed that they had gained some time on the hyperspace lanes. Thank the Force, really. Coren had been making sure the navcharts were correct, but it seemed there was something off, but at least his instinctive astrogation was able to make up for some lost tme. He was keeping his eyes on the prize, obviously.

He knew where they were heading next, out to Cardia, and the Rising had taken the time to get refueled and her engine’s cells recharged. Coren and Cuan both went over the course again after checking the ship and felt it was looking fine. “We should be good.” Coren stated and nodded. New foodstuffs and drink were loaded up and the Jedi was happy.

Tachyon Rising had gone through a lot of work, and had been around the galaxy plenty of times. Cuan and Coren had traveled the galaxy a fair few times, together and apart. They knew that the Core wasn’t necessarily haunted or cursed. It was dangerous to travel because so many things were here, but the fact that the Republic and Jedi and Sith were out here long ago? That didn’t complicate things for the pair.

Running pre-flight wasn’t too difficult, the vessel hardly had time to cool down and was ready and able to make the next jump. As the trip was out to Carida, Coren was going to cut back to the Trade Spine and ride that out to Balmorra, then hop to Hydian and meet the Daragon not far from Carida.

As the signal came up and the Tachyon Rising was released, they jumped forward, racing for the hyperspace point. Porter was beeping through the starting race stated hat everything was done perfectly well. Moving to the hyperspace lane, seemed that all systems were in the green and the jump hitting out to the Trade Spine was no issue at all. Even the reversion and recalculation along the spine? Coren was feeling good, the ship was good. The race ahead of them was going to go well today.

But then the problem with hyperspace routes was that they were heavily monitored. And with the larger governments out there having a large control? During Cuan’s shift, he came back to wake up Coren.

<<Captain, we’ve got blockades in our way. What do you have in mind?>>

Coren followed his first mate up to the cockpit…

Log 5 Leg 2

Seems that the war finds everyone, even those out here in the travel between the stars. We started well, ran across some Alliance and Confederacy checkpoints. Pulled us out of hyperspace. Hoping to make some lost time. The
Rising is a quick vessel, and I know these routes pretty well, shouldn’t put us out but 4 hours or so? Always nice to travel in the home turf. Re-routed, transferred by clearances to the GA and moving quick. Balmorra inbound.

Log 6 Leg 2

Pay dirt! I figured taking the trip around Balmorra was going to be a way to save time. Pulling out of hyperspace on the
Spine and heading for the Way was uneventful, and it feels like they’ve done something out here, or maybe its my knowledge of the area? But in and out as we crossed the lanes was quick, almost felt like the connection we used made our life easier.

Log 7 Leg 2

<<I don’t want to be getting too far ahead of us. But whatever Captain Starchaser did at Balmorra seemed to affect the rest of the trip. He was down in the rack when we swapped from the Way to the Trail. No issues whatsoever. I know I’m a decent pilot, and working with Porter is second nature to those of us who were in the Tiburons, but still. This was way too smooth sailing. Coming up on the exist location for Carida, better page the captain. I think we made good time!>>

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
CAPTAIN'S LOG

ENTRY/ ...and I would've stopped on Kinyen, the Gran homeworld, if Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser and the Tachyon rising hadn't beaten me by three hours on the first leg. Kinyen's great. Solid place to spend what I made refitting ships on Sarrish. I know a nice girl on Kinyen with proper stalk eyes, none of this humanoid sunken-in-the-skull nonsense. Also, the place has killer single-payer healthcare and I got my citizenship there years back. Honorary Gran, that's me.

I did pull in at the Kinyen orbital for a couple hours, though. Crucial repairs. Caf machine.

ENTRY/ Holy balls, new hyperspace stabilizers at the hop from the Spine to the Hydian. We picked up like three hours. Found a minute to pick up and drop off cargo pods near Moorja - an agriworld where one in three people is Ithorian. I think half the mass is care packages from Ithorian grandmas.

ENTRY/ Still shaking. Shut up, Muk, lemme-

-OK, so. After the Hydian we hit the Daragon Trail, right? Simple little switchback to Carida. Well, not that simple, but a gravy run for a navver like me. But five minutes after we reached the Daragon, I kid you not, no substances involved, hyperspace turned red. We were traveling at a decent clip, point-five, and something went screaming past so quick it barely registered on scanners.

I've seen a couple hyperspace phenomena in my day. This was the worst by a parsec. And speaking of, okay, so...it chucked us out. Ever gone relativistic speeds outside hyperspace? Near as the droids can figure from the time dilation - our relativistic shields were NOT build for this - we spent an hour objective time going point-eight C. To us, only thirty-six minutes went by. Took that long to jury-rig the hyperdrive and jump back into hyperspace the right way to cancel out all that realspace velocity.

You know what the scariest part about going relativistic is? It's like driving a speeder too fast for your headlights. At those speeds, sensors can't pick up or process in time. Any given thing's trajectory is just a probability cone, and that's if you're lucky. We were flying blind down the Daragon Trail for the better part of a light-hour.

All told, we lost one hour on the accident, and another two when the jury-rig failed near Castell. Sent the accident's sensor data to Hok - the phenomenon, whatever it was, seemed like it was heading that way. Also passed it along to race officials.

Trip was supposed to take 30 hours, wound up balancing out at 32, plus a couple years off my life expectancy.

The Somberlane
Captain's Log - Prior to Departure

I haven't even left the dock since arriving at the checkpoint on Sarrish. Most of that time was taken up by our little detour - somehow we found ourselves at Quekko's for an upgraded hyperdrive, despite my vow to never go there after those tacky commercials you see all across the galaxy. We're not in a position to afford a completely new hyperdrive, but I managed to work a deal with the salesman where we "lease" one instead. Just 5,000 credits up front, and then another 5,000 when the race is over. Of course, the whole deal hinges on us actually being able to win some money here. No matter. If we don't place I'll just kill him. Some problems require simple solutions, like that scrap dealer back on Ord Mantell.

Between the time it took to install it and the inspections, I haven't slept since we got here. Once we hit hyperspace I'm letting Sidra Ater man the captain's chair while I hit the bunks. That is, unless she wants to hit them with me. Our relationship is purely professional to this point, but honestly, she's kind of cute. I don't know. Maybe that's just the loneliness of space talking.

The start of today's leg was met with less fanfare than the beginning of the race, but Sarrish still sported several die-hard fans that could be seen cheering from the docks as the ships readied themselves for takeoff. Gren knew he'd need to get lucky if he was going to win the Imynusoph Run, considering how far he was behind after the first leg. But the chaos of the cosmos were as unpredictable as they were vast. Men of speed and adrenaline simply laughed in the face of such challenges.

When the race stewards gave him the all clear, Gren offered up another blithe wave to the crowd and disappeared down the Somberlane's hatch. Next stop: Carida.

Milla Kryst

Might Just Change Your Life
Scar was a little nervous, a little too nervous to grab a drink at a cantina or do something, anything to socialize. Aside from the other predicaments they were in, Scar was afraid they had already lost this race. The only time they were able to spend was rigging the ships hyperdrive, like making it as unstable as a prototype nuclear reactor. And the time spent was over time as they waited for other racers. And since the only other thing in Scars ship were a few droids and a medical droid, conversation was more annoying than refreshing. Cleaning up and getting back into the armor was all the rest Scar had, before they hopped back into the drivers seat, ready to hit the gas. Thankfully, this itty bitty Ba'jur was designed to be a home away from home, with all the amenities Scar ever needed.

Then the buzzer rang, and Scar floored it. Still, the Ba'jur had incredible sublight speed, which it probably outdid most if not all the racers at the starting line. But just like back when Scar stared at the Infinity's Free, it didn't matter how fast sublight was. Before the modifications, Scar was literally sitting in hyperspace, just waiting to get to their destination. It didn't matter how early Scar got to the hyperlane, because it would take them nearly two days just to exit hyperspace on the first leg. Scratch that, it was over two days. Scar just hoped nothing would happen with the modifications they made to the Ba'jur now, and hopefully CorelliSpace didn't find out. Scar was under contract, but of course, thankfully.... nothing happened. At least, in the first few hours.

The next pit stop was even perfect, allowing Scar to ride on through after getting fuel stocked, lines checked, filters changed and coolant filled. The real trouble, was just to begin, however. A distress beacon popped up at the helm. It was galactic law to stop for distress beacons, even if it was pirates in disguise. Scar was a hardcore criminal. Scar was known for selling Mandalorian children into slavery, and killing his business contacts. Just because it seemed Scar was looking a little better - not doing those things, as an example - it didn't mean they'd stop for a fething distress beacon. Hah. Five-thousand credits added to Scars already high bounty. Scar wasn't concerned at all, until the thought of the other racers crossed Scars mind. If they were bounty hunters, they might just shoot Scar out of the race, and claim it was a bounty kill. Scar had to be more alert than ever. And if the distress beacon wasn't enough of a problem, the karking food processor was on the fritz. Causing haywires everywhere and spilling food and drink everywhere in the Ba'jur. A pitstop was forced to be taken, as the two labor droids couldn't keep up, and Scar with no mechanical knowledge had to find a mechanic.

Overall, the trip looked promising early on, but quickly turned bad for Scar. Taking a total of 34 hours to complete the leg, with an additional credit amount to their already high bounty.

The Somberlane
Captain's Log
Leg 2: Sarrish to Carida

ENTRY 1:
We picked a good route through space so far. Traffic was quite light and the sublight engines are roaring at their full capacity. We're already five hours ahead of our projected 30 hour schedule. If we can keep going like this, things may turn around for us.

ENTRY 2: Anyone who may find this log can disregard my last entry. Our luck ran out quickly when we dropped out of hyperspace in the middle of a space battle between the Galactic Alliance what looked like Sith recon fighters. Neither side was happy to see us, and I can only assume that both sides had us marked as an enemy craft. Getting into a dogfight in the middle of a race is probably the worst thing we could possibly hope for, but that's what happened. Sidra manned the turrets and I flew in the captain's chair. We confirmed destroyed at least one enemy starcraft, nebula light and the general malaise of the battle made it difficult to identify which side it was from, and we didn't stick around to find out. We bugged out at the soonest possible opportunity, but between that and the necessary refueling after the fight it ended up costing us four hours. No damage to report on the Somberlain.

ENTRY 3: We got stopped by a passing freighter requesting news and sensor scans about travel. The guy offered 1500 credits in exchange for information, so I took it. We lost an hour, but we may need that money by the end of this race.

ENTRY 4: We came across some hyperdrive stabilizers which vastly improved our time. This new hyperdrive from Quekko's sure is nice. I almost don't want to give it back. Maybe I won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom