Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hladni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherworld

Name: Hladni

Biology:

The race has been rarely sighted out of their native solar system, Mraz, and the reports are usually given by only partially reliable witnesses. Nevertheless, throughout the years and with the comparison of many different sources, the Hladni are now widely thought to be such: With an average height of 2 meters and slender of limbs, they appear even slimmer than they actually are. Their skin appears to reflect all light and thus seems white to the human eye. Some say that they are actually covered in short white fur, while others claim it's hard scales that coat their bodies. Whatever is the case, reports are all the same when it comes to their faces.

Their features are said to be absolutely appalling to look at, because, frankly, there are none. No eyes, no nose, no ears and a single, barely visible line where one would usually find the mouth. Their olfactory senses are obviously not impeded by the lack of nasal protrusion, though there seem to be no known recorded organs that serve in nose's stead. It is confirmed that they have the sense of hearing, as they have been known to communicate with other sentient species via the means of verbal exchange. There is no reported substitute for eyes, however, and scientists are still in the dark to this day as to how the Hladni move about; it has been speculated that they use echolocation or perhaps some other organs that perceive the world in the infrared or the ultraviolet spectrum. All of these hypotheses, though, remain unconfirmed to date.

There is one member of their race, allegedly named "Cera" - though the accurate pronunciation of the name is debated – who has been willing to provide more insight into his species throughout the years following the disappearance of the Gulag virus. If what this Hladni has said is true, than their might very well be one of the strangest races discovered to this day.

Cera's report, verbatim:
We are a long-lived, slow paced kin. Our elders were young when your Republic of old fell. They were barely adults when the spiked man's* empire crumbled. Even when your planets fell to the all-consuming disease, they grew older and wiser. We do not suffer the ailments of your kind, the fast-paced peoples. We never war among ourselves, as we feel nothing. When we do near our end, we pass our knowledge and experience to our young, who are brought to life with the Dance of a Thousand Suns**, so we never mate, as you are prone to do. We simply perceive the universe and enjoy its ebb and flow.

* It's commonly acknowledged that the "spiked man" Cera was referring to is Darth Krayt
** While Cera didn't wish to elaborate what the Dance of a Thousand Suns encompassed, it's believed to have something to do with the stars

Subspecies: /

Sentience: Yes.

Strengths:

• They are exceptionally long-lived (the average being about 700-850 human years)
  • As a species without feelings, they can always judge situations and people objectively and make well-thought-out decisions
  • Their immune system is highly resistant to most known illnesses that pest the Galaxy

Weaknesses:

• Their constitution is relatively frail compared to most humanoid life-forms
  • While having evolved their technology enough for superluminal travel, they possess no weaponry or armor whatsoever
  • The principle of combat and everything associated with it is completely alien to the species

Diet:
While it remains a secret how they get by on their homeworld and the colonies, the visiting members of the species have been known to be able to digest every type of food offered; whether out of respect or the need for sustenance is as of yet undetermined.

Behavior/Temperament:
Due to their lack of feelings, they usually appear calm and tranquil, perhaps even sedated or lethargic. They go about their daily business without rush and address even the biggest of issues with composure and thought.

Communication:
If they have a different than verbal way of communicating among themselves, it's not been made known to the science. As for interracial communication, their vocal chords (or any other organ that produces sound they might have) seem to be able to adapt very well to different languages that are in widespread use in the Known space.

Planet:

• Mraz; the homeworld
  • Led; the closest colony
  • solar system Snežji; Prvi Pad, Drugi Pad and Tretji Pad; three colonized planets
  • Mejnik; the distal colony

Culture:

While Cera was quite open and sharing about the physiology of his people, he refused to disclose much of anything regarding the subject of their culture. Seeing as they are a sentient species, they almost certainly possess some level of culture; however, there's also their lack of feelings to account for. Deities are therefore probably out of question, and the same goes for music, art and everything in between, as all those stem from emotion.

Technology:
They can travel across great distances utilizing something akin to hyperdrive technology that provides them with superluminal velocities; they haven't evolved any type of tool used for war, however. They also lack entertainment technology such as holos or even the obsolete television.

History:
Little is known as to where the Hladni had originally came from and if Mraz is really their homeworld. Due to the seeming presence of collective memory, however, it is possible that they keep track of the events in a very meticulous manner. What little information we've garnered from Cera's exchange tells us that they've been around for a long time. It seems that every few hundred years since their discovery of lightspeed travel, a number of emissaries is sent out into the galaxy, perhaps to find and communicate with other species that had also evolved to their level. If their time-keeping system translates correctly to ours, they had begun venturing out of their solar system just after the fall of the Infinite Empire. Every envoy that returned successfully brought with them a souvenir from the visited world(s), thus enriching the knowledge and archives of the peculiar race. Cera even mentioned having a broken-off droid head stored somewhere on the vast expanse of shelves that comprise their archive-museum.

Notable PCs:
None as of yet.

Intent:
As much as I love the SW universe and all its species, I always felt – during character creation, that is – that there was something lacking. I browsed the Wookieepedia for many hours, trying to find that single perfect species, but have never been able to do so. After seeing , however, that here you are actually allowed to create your own race with only your imagination as the limit, I was thrilled. So this is my shot at this, though I believe I have a long way to go. I'm definitely looking for feedback and critique on this species in hopes of improving it, so long as the tweaks don't distance it too far from the initial idea.

Change the luminal travel to hyperspace travel, as the only other known case of "superluminal travel" is the Yuuzhan Vong (an extragalactic species). Also, is it possible for them to be Force Sensitive? I don't see that listed.

I would have them interact more with other Galaxies, though I like the concept of this Cera and their weakness, having no knowledge of combat or war, is a fun weakness. Flesh this application out a bit more, you're on the right track.

I'm marking this Work in Progress.

Netherworld

Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated (and needed, frankly)

I'll PM you when I update the description. also, what do you mean by create the worlds they've interacted with? I had known planets in mind, not some nonexistent ones. :)

Unless you wish for the Hladni to be a derelict species and have a lost homeworld that will never be interacted with, their homeworld will need to be created and approved or they need to be recent immigrants to a canon Star Wars planet.

I would prefer this to have a more omniscient tone in the description of the Hladni. It can be explicit that the galaxy does not know much about the species, but we as writers and Roleplay Judges need to know just exactly what is going on. If accepted, this should be a species that can be openly roleplayed without needing to harass you for information withheld in this application.

For that reason, please explain:
  • How do they communicate between each other?
  • What is the Dance of a Thousand Stars?
  • What is their diet on their homeworld?
  • How can (or why do) they eat all types of food? Some foods are naturally toxic to all but one species and sometimes conflict with each other.
  • How do they perceive the world?
  • What exactly is the collective memory?
  • A better history and cultural description is needed.

Some things to consider:
  • Why would they develop into a war-less and entertainment-less culture?
  • How do ideas and knowledge spread among themselves?
  • Why are they isolationist?
  • How does their emotionless state drive their society?
  • Are they truly emotionless?
  • Can they develop emotion?
  • How does conflicting empirical evidence affect their interactions and decisions?
  • What are their values and norms?

Also, this is a minor thing; Slovenian (or, honestly, whichever Slavic language) is cute and all, but I don't like it in a Star Wars setting.

Netherworld

Hookay, all your points are valid, and I'll elaborate/explain the mentioned.

Only thing I have a problem with, though, is your "side note". What's your deal with those particular sequences of letters having meaning in slovenian? I really can't see why i should change that, sorry. if you back it up with some arguments, I might think about it. :)

Netherworld said:
Only thing I have a problem with, though, is your "side note". What's your deal with those particular sequences of letters having meaning in slovenian? I really can't see why i should change that, sorry. if you back it up with some arguments, I might think about it. :)
Look up planet/species/most names in Star Wars. You will find that most, if not all, are never direct uses of a foreign word outside of Latin (and possibly Greek), and if they are it is generally incidental.

Netherworld

I realize that. However, I fail to see its relevance. :) It's not as if 80% of the people reading the species/planet description will understand what it means. it's not a commonly spoken language. in fact, it's barely spoken at all. It's kinda like naming it in irish gaelic or something of the like.

If it really bothers you that much, though, I suppose I could change it. I just don't see why. :) Look, I'm not trying to cause a problem here or anything, I'm just trying to understand your reasoning. ;)

Netherworld said:
I fail to see its relevance.
The relevance of sci-fi-ing the name scheme is low enough to where it is not a deal breaker. There are more important things that I mentioned earlier, yet it is a note I wanted to make. My reasoning, beyond more specific of why this does not happen in Star Wars, is because when people notice it in a fantasy setting such as Star Wars that is far from Earth, the natural tendency is to go, "Pft, that looks stupid" because it is taking stuff that is clearly from Earth and putting it in a setting that does not have words such as that.

Which is honestly what I do. The whole "lolol" thing. Even to my own name. Even to 90% of custom Darth names.

Netherworld

I think I understand the point you're trying to make, but at the same time, you're undermining yourself.xD
there is a distinct difference between a name derived from an earthly language, or one that is quoted completely. With that in mind, I'll think about it. I won't make any promises, though I may decide to tweak the names a bit so they're not actual words, but more like the aforementioned derivates.

in any case, I'll try to update the species over the weekend, taking into account both of your suggestions. :) in the meantime, you're free to add anything that comes to your mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom