Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hat Trick

Damon Riggs and Teyla Ee’everwest needed a good amount of rest and relaxation after what they had just come out of, but that wasn’t going to happen. Smuggling people was always tricky and rarely paid enough to cover the extra supplies used up on the cargo. The downtime planned was going to be spent shopping for supplies and spare parts that the last adventure had seen completely depleted.

Hiironi Irstat was a mountainous Village that had one giant secret. The great mountain had turned out to be a volcano. It was dormant for now, but the planet’s inhabitants were always living with the chance it could blow again. For now it wasn’t an issue, and the pair had selected the planet as their stop.

They walked the markets which bustled with life. Food was being tossed between vendors, and just for the hell of it Riggs plucked a piece of fruit out of the air and tossed a credit to the man who threw it. He handed it to Teyla, someone he was finally back in an okay place with. Damon still felt like he needed to find some kind of piece offering, but they at least had agreed not to get drunk together if that was going to be how it ended.

”Right so let’s get the parts and get out of here. I need to make contact with the broker to see if he’s got anymore work for us. Otherwise we are going to be stuck keeping our ear to the ground for something.”

The Barabel hadn’t tracked them often during this last job which had Riggs thinking their broker was part of the problem. He wasn’t going to say anything if Teyla hadn’t come to the same conclusion. Riggs wanted to give it one more job to see what happened. If his hunch was right he’d tell his partner and they’d figure out a plan. Perhaps they would send Rocco to visit him.

@Teyla Ee’everwest

The gesture was a simple one, but it wasn’t lost on her, and Teyla offered Damon an appreciative smile for it. “That was awfully sweet, thank you.” there was a bit of playfulness in her tone, something that had been lacking over the last month. She switched the fruit to her right hand and brought it to her lips for a modest bite, savoring the taste of this world’s fresh harvest. It was a treat having something besides another bland ration bar. “Maybe on the way back we should pick up a crate of those?” it was wishful thinking.

A lot had happened since the incident with Damon, with many surprising discoveries along the way. But before they had taken on the last job, Teyla had certainly made an effort to keep herself scarce, finding different ways to keep herself busy and occupied so as to avoid any temptations that might present themselves, keeping things strictly professional. But after Hapes, she once again began to slip into this casual sort of place with the Captain, finding it was difficult to keep herself as distant as she was being before.

At his mentioning of the parts and wanting to leave, Teyla nodded, removing from her back pocket a datapad. Her fingers clicked around on the screen until it illuminated her face with the soft glow of a blue light, bringing up a detailed list of the depleted inventory. “We should try to stock up on as much as we can while we’re here so we don’t have to stop again for a while.” she paused, and looked up from the manifest, stopping briefly at one of the booths to examine some of the wares on display. The alien behind the stand began rattling off to her about his items, picking up individual pieces of the jewelry and shoving them at her. Teyla simply shook her head and continued on, glancing over the vendors lining the street.

In passing, she commented, “Funny how we didn’t run into our favorite friend on that last job, huh?” They’d still run into plenty of trouble, but Teyla certainly noted the absence of the barabel.

[member="Damon Riggs"]

"Fresh fruit will have to be eaten fast, but I'm sure we can manage," Riggs answered with a smile happy that his gesture was received well.

He was trying to be careful after what happened between them, since the kiss. Riggs wished he could remember it. Part of the thing that was driving him crazy was that he wanted to know if he had liked it. Teyla knew by now Riggs remembered nothing of the night, and he wasn't sure if she thought that was a good thing or a bad thing. They did everything they could NOT to talk abou it. Still, Riggs got curious from time to time.

Riggs nodded when she suggest they stock up on as much as they could. She was right. They didn't have another job lined up, and they didn't know how long it was going to be before they were going to get another job. They had to make the credits last, but they needed to ensure their supplies lasted too. That meant one thing, more ration bars. Damon scrunched his face at the thought, and shot Teyla a knowing look. She didn't like them either. It was better than going hungry though.

When the question of the barabel came, Riggs nodded again. "I did notice, and I think I know why."

Damon was uncertain if he should tell her what he was thinking, but they were partners. He might as well not hide it from her. That was part of what had gotten him in trouble with the whole Russo thing. By keeping the similarities a secret it allowed for things to seem like he only had hired her because of them. Riggs was not going to repeat that mistake.

"I think our broker is tipping him off. I can't prove it, but this last job was one you found without going to our usual source. If we can get another job lined up with the broker and the barabel shows up... I think it would be enough to make that assuption a little more concrete?"

Riggs asked because he really did want Teyla's input.

[member="Teyla Ee'everwest"]

Damon agreeing to buying a crate of fruit was a surprise, she’d thought for sure that he would have balked and grumbled something about saving the credits for items they actually needed and would last. Seemed they were both getting tired of having ration bars. That, or he was trying to butter her up still. Then she noticed the face he made as she finished up with some arrangements for more of the bars. Nope...he was done with them too.

Either way, she was pleased with the outcome.

“It’s the only connection, and I’d say it’s worth testing.” Where did they go from there, though? Guess they’d reassess the situation when they came upon it. “Didn’t you use this broker several times before? He was good in the past, right? That’s the only part I don’t understand is, why now?” She stopped at another vendor, highlighting several items before handing the screen to the merchant. “We need these parts, can you have them delivered? Yeah? Good.” She slipped him a small note with writing scrawled across it. “The ship is docked here, make sure the parts are there before the hour is over. Hm? Yes, direct credit transfer...Our associate will be on board.”

Teyla inhaled a deep breath after the negotiations and went to catch up with Damon, peering around his shoulder to see what he was looking at. She smiled and reached for a hat, sitting it atop her head. Brown eyes caught a glimpse in the mirror before turning to look at her partner. “Hey, what do you think? It’s not bad, huh?” There was an attempt of a roguish smirk, adjusting her hair to drape over her shoulders, hoping to look more scoundrel-ish, before she eventually placed it back down. Her fun was had, but her credits were lacking. “Maybe next time I’ll get one, to help me to blend in with you and Rocco.”

With that, she continued to the next area for more of their supplies.

[member="Damon Riggs"]

Riggs nodded. "So we are on the same page then," he stated and moved on from the topic. Teyla was handing the datapad with highlighted supplies to the vendor where they had stopped. She was very good at haggling for prices, so Riggs felt comfortable enough to walk off a bit and let her handle it. His eyes caught a small little shop ahead selling some trinkets and accessories. It had been a while since he had looked at things like chronometers, hats, scarves, gloves, things that were needed from time to time. Riggs didn't think about them often because he wasn't a fashion maven. His interest was piqued however.

When Teyla caught up to him she grabbed a hat and tried it on. He smirked at her attempt to look like a tough scoundrel. The hat did look good on her though and he gave her the thumbs up. "The hat looks great, but you might want to work on your rouge look. Wouldn't want Rocco thinking you are flirting with him."

Riggs stuck his tongue out as she put the hat back. While she walked off to get more supplies, Riggs he grabbed the hat and paid for it. This was definitely a peace offering, but also just because. Damon liked her, but more importantly he valued having her on the ship. There was really no reason he could give as to why he was buying the hat for her. He just did.

She was haggling with another vendor when Riggs walked up to her and plopped the hat on her head. Riggs looked at the vendor, then he looked over Teyla's shoulder to see what she was trying to get. Riggs nodded and authorized the list and let Teyla get back to what she was doing. When the transaction was over he looked over to the vendor once more.

"Also... I need to know where the best hot meal in town is."

A finger pointed to buildings down, and Damon nodded in thanks.

"C'mon Teyla, we are getting a meal far better than Rocco or I could put together."

"I can't believe how expensive things are here..." Teyla griped as Damon's presence could be felt coming up from behind her. She tilted the datapad so he could get a look at it before continuing through the transaction.

"Hhm? What are you doing?" She asked, her voice suspicious of his intent, feeling the weight of the same hat from before being placed on top of her head. "Did you...? Damon." Teyla admonished, raising a brow at him as she began working to send off a message to Rocco so he was aware of the incoming stock. "I know what you're trying to do..." She gave him a skeptical look, still with half a mind to make him take it back. It was just a hat though, it wasn't like he was trying to buy her an entire wardrobe; something that a certain Corellian had tried to do in the past.

Teyla sighed, but followed up with a smile. "I guess this means I better start practicing that 'rogue' look, before we get back to the ship?"

When he told her they were getting food, Teyla frowned and looked back to her datapad, clearly torn.

"We can't go eat now, there's still work to be done, and what about Rocco? You really think we should leave the delivery guys to his mercy?"

[member="Damon Riggs"]

"What exactly am I trying to do then, hmmm?" Riggs shot Teyla a look that dared her to answer the question.

Damon liked this part, the part where they were doing well. The banter was fun, if it still flirted with the line they had kept saying they were never going to cross. Riggs was pretty sure they both knew the chemistry was too good for that to be a real thing, at least he thought that. However, the ex-military captain was disciplined enough to keep the boundary firm. It wasn't like he didn't know how to do that. Riggs just forgot boundaries when he drank too much. That's why he handed his private stash over to Teyla.

A smirk crossed his lips when Teyla gave in and accepted teh gift. He nodded to her comment.

"It looks good, and it made you happy when you put it on."

Riggs nodded again and took Teyla by the arm and walked her toward the eatery as she protested.

"Rocco is exactly the person they need to be stuck with. If they try anything outside of what I have told him delivery people are allowed, he'll shoot them. If we are not there, we can deny we knew anything about it. It's what is called executive plausible deniability. With someone like Rocco around, you want that quite often."

Hopefully Teyla understood what Riggs was getting at. While the Barabel was the reason Rocco had been added to the crew, Riggs knew he would be useful in other ways, provided Riggs didn't always know what those were.

The aroma from the eatery made Riggs mouth salivate. He looked to Teyla with a knowing look. If she smelled how good the food was, she was going to demand they stopped. It had been ration bars for almost a week, and Riggs was not passing up an opportunity for fresh and hot meal. They walked inside and were seated rather quickly. With a menu in front of him, Riggs looked up at Teyla, the hat still on her head.

"Yup... that hat is dynamite on you!"

A brow raised with the tempting thought to fire back an answer, but Teyla refrained, her lip curling up in a small smirk as she shook her head, some things just didn't need to be expounded on. Even if she wanted to, she knew she needed to behave herself with him.

It wasn't really the hat what made her happy, but more so the atmosphere of the planet and simply being in a place where someone wasn't trying to kill them, which saw her mood lifted. Plus, she was feeling comfortable enough to safely joke with him again. Teyla liked when things were easy going between them, granted she'd been most of the reason why it was difficult anyway - he'd tried before, even going as far to give her his liquor stash, but as Damon was discovering...when Teyla wanted to, the woman had an indestructible stubborn streak in her. Still, it was a thoughtful gesture on his part, and it certainly softened her a bit.

When he started pulling her through the crowd and towards the food, she didn't try to get away. If he was determined, there was going to be no stopping him, so she just went along with it. What he said about Rocco made her lips scrunch to one side, giving him a disapproving look. She understood what he meant, but sometimes it still felt weird to be on the other side of the law, seeing the other perspective of things.

"I know what plausible deniability is, and you're lucky I don't carry a badge any more, or stuncuffs for that matter. Actually, come to think of it, I might still have those somewhere. Perhaps I'll need to test if they still work." Just couldn't help herself, could she?

Sitting at the table with him, Teyla looked down to her datapad before opting to put it away for the time, figuring things weren't going to go to hell if she indulged Damon for a bit. Besides...the aroma wafting through the air was starting to hit her nose, and Teyla could admit she was getting a little famished.

His mentioning of the hat caused her to smile and look up from the menu.

"Don't think this means that you're completely off the hook, but after the meal, then maybe."

[member="Damon Riggs"]

There was a rebutal forming at the tip of Riggs tongue as Teyla informed him he was lucky she no longer carried a badge. She was going to have to get used to being on the otherside of that badge. Riggs had to. Being a Navy Captain in a previous life he hated the fact there were certain things he did that were not legal, however, he liked to eat. Teyla would soon figure out that there was this gray area Riggs had learned to be comfortable with. She would get there too. His comment was going to be something like that, but he mentioned the stun cuffs.

Riggs eyes grew a bit wide and his jaw would have hit the ground if it could. Teyla had abandoned all kinds of banter since the night of that drunken kiss, and this was the first she had resumed. Even for resuming it was the most suggestive thing she had said to date, at least that's how Riggs' male mind took it. For all he knew she didn't mean it that way. Still, that's how he heard it.

"Oh believe me... I am fully aware that I cannot simply buy a woman off with a hat. Dinner is even questionable without a bit of romantic thought put behind it I have learned."

Damon had just enough playfulness in his voice that it should be clear he was not considering this to be a date of anykind. The courage to venture past the line they had established was not there currently. The hat was pushing it, but pushing the line was all Riggs was comfortable with at the moment. They had spent enough time together that Riggs was becoming aware of all the things that made her different from Russo, and those were things he found that drove him crazy about Teyla.

He set the menu down after he had decided a simple bowl of soup seemed like it would hit the spot. The hat had set him back, the supplies came out of his take from the work, and adding Rocco to the cut meant both Riggs and Teyla were taking in less.

"You adjusting to life as a smuggler yet?"

"Oh, that's what you've learned, huh?" Teyla teased, flashing another smile as her eyes skimmed over the menu. She knew it could easily go too far if she wasn't careful, but the brunette couldn't help but try to test the limit, to see where that line really was.

Usually they didn't stay planetside long enough to actually sit down somewhere and have a meal like this, so even though Teyla was not a picky eater, it took her a few moments to decide on what she wanted. Part of it, was she didn't know how adventurous she was feeling in trying something new. Unable to make up her mind, she opted to try out the nerf burger. When in doubt, go for the safe choice.

Her own menu was placed on top of Damon's. Hopefully soon they'd be noticed by a serving droid.

"I don't know what Rocco likes, but we should grab something for him on the way out." It was the thought that counted?

A breath was inhaled at his question.

"I try not to think about it too much, but I guess I'm adjusting. When we're doing jobs I just focus on my part of it, and do what I need to. It pays better than the jobs I was taking before." In truth, Teyla did miss the precinct, even missed Coruscant, but going back was no where in the foreseeable future. She didn't know if Ferian was looking for her or not, but she didn't want to find out either. "I'm sure you understand what it's like, from having been in the military."

[member="Damon Riggs"]

”Absolutely,” Damon said with a wink. Yes they were pushing that line, but Riggs didn’t care. The issu was crossing it, and that was something he wasn’t going to do as long as Teyla didn’t want to. There were occasions where he was pretty certain she did. The fact she had asked him why he waits until he was drunk to try kissing her still haunted him mind on occasion. He really wanted to know what she meant by that, but for now he wasn’t going to push his luck.

Riggs wasn’t even thinking about taking Rocco any food, but Teyla was right. Damon pulled out his data pad and shot the enforcer a message asking him what he wanted. He expected some kind of sarcastic reply because that’s how Rocco’s humor worked. Still it would be a good gesture.

”It’s not an easy transition. I stay out of a lot of shady things, but every now and then you have to stomach something you never would have in another life. We don’t have it easy coming from routines if of order and rule of law. The credits are good though, and at the end of the day if we can morally justify it, then I’m happy.”

He knew her struggle was with the legality of certain things. Riggs never messed with slaves, and avoided drugs when he could. Hopefully Teyla could appreciate the fact he was working with some shred of moral decency. Riggs had always been concerned about his own integrity.

Blue eyes looked at the woman across the table as their server came back. Riggs ordered his soup, and let Teyla order whatever she wanted. He struck by how pretty she really did look with the hat and how it framed her features. Riggs just smiled and leaned back into his chair.

”So what happened on Coruscsnt? Why did you leave?”

Teyla took a moment to consider what Damon said, and nodded her head. She was getting used to the idea of operating in that grey area. It was something that’d always existed, even when working for the CSF, but her previous training and her own moral compass had never allowed her to stray into that realm. Teyla used to be a very black and white type of person. There was the law, and there was chaos. There was never any inbetween. “I will admit that working with you makes this job a lot easier to stomach, I don’t know how long I would have lasted if you were one of those ‘run of the mill' type of smugglers.” When the droids came back she put her own order in along with Damon’s and took a sip from her water glass.

Her gaze looked out the nearby window at the beauty this planet had to offer, just soaking it all in. Being in space all of the time, one started to get tired of the same scenery day after day. There was no telling when they’d have a chance to enjoy something like this again. “I’m glad you made me stop and take a break, I don’t think I would have appreciated how beautiful this place is. Maybe after we do a couple of successful jobs we should all take a real vacation.”

The brunette was all smiles and in good spirits, until the question was posed about why she’d left Coruscant.

It was obvious that the question about Coruscant was something that made Teyla vaguely uncomfortable and she took a drink of her water to hide the fallen expression that had taken place of her upbeat demeanor moments before. “It’s not really a cheerful subject that I like discussing.” she paused and looked down, contemplating what to tell him that would satisfy his curiosity while tapping the side of the glass with her index finger. Damon had shared a very vulnerable side of himself when he told her about his survivor's guilt, even if it was from a liquor induced stupor. Should she not share something of her past with him? Teyla hesitated, but decided she could give him something. “I was planetside during the invasion. Most of my colleagues were killed, including my captain. Afterward? I didn’t see that there was anything left for me to stay for.”

Nervousness flashed through her eyes from details of the story she wasn't sharing, hope that he wouldn't pry further. Teyla tried a wry smile. "Sorry for being a mood killer."

[member="Damon Riggs"]

”What do you mean run of the mill smuggler... I’m not smugglery enough for you?”

Riggs teased knowing it might put her on the spot, but he knew exactly what she meant. There were the types out there who were more pirate than smuggler. Riggs drew the line at piracy. He’d had a few offers to do something along those lines, but he couldn’t bring himself to it no matter how good the take. The military had instilled in him a code of conduct that not even he could leave behind. Every life was important. He didn’t treat people like cargo, and he didn’t kill to steal. Yes, Riggs had stollen, he transported stollen goods. Teyla knew that, but Riggs had never mistreated a person.

He caught her looking out the window and enjoying the scenery. It was much different than the other places they had been. Usually Riggs was hiding out on worlds and shadowports that were surrounded by buildings and trouble. This place was wholesome, nice, and staying for longer seemed like a good idea.

”A real vacation? Like sandy beaches vacation?” Riggs quirked a brow. Had she just suggested they take a vacation. Riggs couldn’t remember his last vacation, but he knew he hadn’t had one since Russo was part of his life. Riggs never stopped, the dinner like they were having was not the norm. Maybe a vacation was needed, but first was a good amount of food.

He just listened as she talked about why she left Coruscsnt. Her life there during the invasion hadn’t good either. It seemed they’d both had a lot stollen from them because of that event. It was a defining thing for them both. He reached a hand across the table and took hers. Damon looked her in they eyes she apologized for being a downer. There was nothing to apologize for. His story hadn’t been much better, though he’d told it when he was drunk.

Riggs smiled.

”You’re not killing the mood. I asked. I ran too, still am. I tried going back to the navy, but nope. That’s why things with... well I left alone.”

Damon reaching for her hand was not something she expected, and she quickly took notice of the way he gently smiled, with unwavering blue eyes that seemed warm with understanding. Normally, her first reaction would be to yank away, but Teyla found herself unwilling to immediately pull back. Perhaps it was because Damon understood in a way that no one else could, and there was a small measure of solace to be found in the offer of unspoken comfort.

Before there was time for her to think anything more about it though, the droid had returned with their meals and even though the aroma was tantalizing, she was somewhat regretful that the physical contact was broken.

Hands now in her lap, Teyla tried to ignore the lingering warmth.

“For what it's worth, I’m sorry for what happened between you and Alex,” Teyla wasn’t sure if it was okay to bring her up so blatantly, but it felt strange to pretend like she didn’t have a name. “Some people find it easier to go back to what they were doing before, while others, like you and I, need to find a different purpose and reason for their life, but I wouldn't call that running. Just looking for new meaning. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

[member="Damon Riggs"]

Riggs shrugged off what Teyla had said about Alex and started in on his soup. At the moment he didn’t know how to respond to that. The hot and creamy broth slid down his throat buying him the time he needed in order to get his answer together. It was ironic to think he’d lost her twice, once he thought to death, and the other because that hadn’t wanted the same things.

”I don’t know what to call it. I just know I was so tired of fighting. Every side claims to be the right one, and of course when you’ve picked a side you believe in it. The Sith had to be stopped. The First Order is no better, but by the time I got the uniform back on, it just wasn’t who I was anymore.”

What else was there to say? Riggs had changed and he knew it. That’s why things hadn’t worked. He could blame Russo for not wanting to leave all he wanted to, but on the other side of the coin Riggs didn’t want to stay. It was as much his fault as it was hers, so the break up had been mutual.

Teyla had proposed something interesting to think about though. People like them did need new start a different kind of life than just returning. Riggs needed to leave everything behind.

”People like us tell ourselves we need to move on, and we don’t, not even when the chance to do exactly that is sitting right in front of us...”

That was for Teyla to take however she wanted to. Did Riggs know what he even meant by that? He was pretty sure he did.

Teyla thought about what Damon said while taking her knife in hand and slicing horizontally through the nerfbuger, some of the juices spilling as the blade cut through. "I can understand that," she mentioned, without giving further explanation. At least it seemed like he had some kind of closure with why his relationship with Russo had turned out the way it did and she didn't want to press into the subject anymore. Utensils set back down, she took one of the two halves of her burger and took a bite from the corner, being careful of any juices.

After swallowing her bite, Teyla sat in thoughtful silence, mulling over his last remark.

Her own answer would be just as indirect as his statement. "That's because we allow ourselves to be held back by indecision, preventing us from taking chances. So then when the opportunity is presented, it slips by." she took a sip of her water and another bite, chewing, swallowing. "Perhaps we both need to work on changing that, and learning how to take 'leaps of faith'. Hm?" She dabbed her mouth with the napkin pulled from her lap and gazed over to her chrono.

"It's starting to get late, we should get our bill. I'll pay? You got the hat, so, it only seems fair." Teyla waved down one of the droids to indicate they were ready to get going. "We're going to need another day to finish up here, but we should still probably head back to the ship, we need to look over the new inventory."

[member="Damon Riggs"]

Of course she understood. They really had come through the same tragedy and dealt with their tragedy in the same way. Neither one of them were admitting that they were indeed running from it. As long as they were not running to something, they were running from something. The life of a smuggler was what Riggs used to claim he was running toward some purpose in life, but in truth it was what allowed him to survive. Giving guns to rebellions he no longer wished to fight could be considered a cause, but Riggs just wanted to see people avoid the tragedy he had experienced. It was a true calling if he would allow himself to see it that way, but he did not.

Teyla's nect words were the ones which made him pause. They allowed themselves to live with indecision long enough that the opportunity passed. The two really did need the courage to take a leap of faith. Riggs had done that, but only in his drunken stupor. Thinking about it made him smirk and chuckle a bit. Riggs was going to say something, but a split second of indecision had seen the opportunity whisked away as Teyla looked at the time.

[color=b8860b]"Yeah, I guess you're right, and I'll let you pay, but duly note it is under protest,"[/color] Riggs said as he quickly finished his soup, and tossed a couple of credits on the table for a tip. That was his protest.

As they started back to the ship it was awkwardly quiet. RIggs mind was still on where the conversation had been going before Teyla checked the time. They both needed to take a leap of faith, but neither one of them were doing that. Someone had to take it first. Riggs stomach was full of knots, but he cleared his throat to break up the silence...

"You know... um... not to bring up something we are trying to get past... but... "why did you wait until you were drunk to do that?" Riggs tossed out the question that had been bothering him the moment they had talked about that night. "I wish I hadn't been, especially if you meant what I think you meant. I mean I don't even remember what really happened, but I sure I made you mad. I mean I know what you told me happened, and all I can think to myself is... I don't even know if I liked it... and why did I wait until I was drunk..."

Riggs was rambling. They had established a line they were not going to cross, and yet here he was about to tell Teyla that he wanted to cross that line.

"Hypothetically.... since I'm sober... what would happen if I "took a leap of faith?"

Teyla laughed a little, amused at Damon’s ‘tip’ protest. “Gee, well, don’t start any riots over it. Tell you what, you can pay next time,” Next time? There wasn’t any reason for there to be a next time, this was just one of those 'one time' deals, but...if he were to ask. Teyla shook off the thought and went ahead to pay their bill.

Once outside, she found that the cool evening air against her skin was a welcome contrast from the warm diner they’d just walked out of. What was not welcome, at least for Teyla, was the night itself. Sure, she knew how to get around in the darkness fairly well, having lived years trying to figure out ways to maneuver with her debility, but that didn’t make it any more pleasant. For that reason, she kept herself closer than normal to Damon’s side, leaving little room between them.

The close proximity didn't seem to help the awkwardness lingering, but Teyla was still not willing to acknowledge that it was there. Besides, it wasn’t any worse than the weeks they’d spent not talking to each other. Then the silence was broken and Damon broached a subject she half expected would come up because of the previous conversation. A topic that put both of them in a position to come face to face with what they kept hem hawing around.

Teyla stayed quiet, a question posed.

She wasn’t sure what would happen if she answered him. No, she did know what would happen, and he was in theory asking for her honesty. Teyla weighed the decision in her mind about what she should say to him, and secretly wished she could see the face of the gruff ex-military captain, rambling through a sentence.

Of course, the stubborn and willful side of herself, wanted to tell him that the time was long passed, and it didn’t matter what was said, because it had just been an ‘in the moment’ bluster on her part. She knew that while she worked for the CSF, she would have chosen that exact route in a circumstance like this, but Teyla was not going to lie to him or herself, so she let Damon finish what he had to say and came to a stop in their walk. In the darkness she reached out and brushed against his hand before coming around to stand in front of him.

A couple of moments filled with silence lingered, considering what she was about to do. Perhaps she was just caught up in the moment of how everything was progressing, perhaps this could be another 'one time' deal. Either way, Teyla knew that good or bad, she was going to have to deal with any complications that came from this 'leap of faith'.

The space between them closed, fingers swept up his arm, “I think you know what I meant when I said that...and...Hypothetically?” she answered in a soft breath “I would not say. I would take action and do this...” Fingers grasped at the collar of his coat jacket and pulled, just slightly and not with force, hoping more that it would beckon him to meet her halfway to welcoming lips.

[member="Damon Riggs"]

Next time! Riggs like the sound of next time. While he was pretty sure it was a slip, it was an admission that Teyla was leaving with next time on the brain. Both could admit slowing down on supply runs was a good idea. Some crews functioned well at break neck speeds, Riggs didn’t, not since he had been in the military. Even then he only pushed his crew when he had to.

The more Riggs rambled on without Teyla saying anything, the more nervous he got. His concern was that the woman was about to shut him out to defend the place they had found once again. Things were finally picking up from where they had been after his drunken attempt at whatever it was he attempted. Damon didn’t want to ruin that, but he didn’t want to let things in Life pass him by anymore. Maybe Marcus Jenkins had finally gotten through to Riggs. He had to stop holding people at a distance and start taking chances. Teyla had just called it a leap of faith.

Damon knew about her difficulty seeing in the dark, and while the sun hadn’t slipped away yet, he could only imagine how dark things seemed for Teyla. She couldn’t see. When she reached out for him her hand brushed against his. Damon took her hand as she stopped in front of him. It wasn’t long before her arms climbed up his arm. Riggs knew exactly what she meant, and that’s why he was nervous. When her hand grabbed his color, Riggs knew what she was doing. They were both taking a leap of faith.

There was no hesitation as Riggs helped Teyla close the gap between them. Her lips welcomed his, and his took hers. The kiss was exactly what Riggs was hoping it would be, dynamite. When the kiss broke, Riggs kissed her again.

Her hands unbunched from his jacket, pushing onto her toes so he did not have to lean down as far before their lips pressed together.

She almost gave a protest when the first exploration began to end as soon as it had, where they should have ended, in a final moment of hesitation. Yet, Damon returned for a second time, to her surprise, and without thought, her hands slipped over his shoulders, wrapping around his neck and twining in his hair, matching him with an equal intensity while her heart hammered away.

This was different than the first time they had kissed, lacking that undertone of scotch and the tingling it left behind, yet this one left her feeling no less dazed.

Several moments later, and reluctantly Teyla started to pull back from the kiss, slowly unwinding herself from him and fighting against the urge to go in for a third time. Their faces still inches away, Teyla swallowed softly. She didn’t want it to stop, but it had to stop, no matter how wonderful it certainly was, because even through the euphoria of it, she knew that they could easily push this further than it should go. They had already crossed the line, and they were both going to need to process that once they returned to the ship.

Face inches from his, Teyla could only see faint outlines of his features and wished she could see more of his reaction and expression. “That was…” her voice faltered a bit, “Quite the leap.”

[member="Damon Riggs"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom