Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campaign The Great Hutt Space Endurance Race - Test Rules and Signup

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
OVERVIEW
This race is a test of navigational skill and judgment. Finishing the race is far from guaranteed. You must visit three locations and then exit the map before your ship or crew take too much trauma to go on. The race will start within the next few days. The race takes place on this map: Hutt Space and the Bryn'adul Front, 864 ABY.

POJbTwf.png

You begin at one of the starting locations, your choice:
  • Bothawui - CIS space
  • Junkfort Station - neutral space near the Bryn'adul territories
  • Deysum - SJC space
  • Gamorr - neutral space
Your goal is to pick up or drop off your choice of passengers or cargo at three of the following waypoints, in any order, and then leave the map. Finishing the course will take four posts (or fewer, if you burn out). The waypoints:
  • Nimban - an SJC holdout surrounded by Bryn'adul territory
  • Nadiem - one of the relatively few worlds that was fully evacuated before the Bryn'adul swept in
  • Groth - neutral territory deep in Hutt Space, a planet of gladiators and gambling where folk try to ignore the oncoming war
  • Hollastin - a minor trade world at risk, a key crossroads on the Hollastin Run and the start of the Pando Spur
  • A research station orbiting the Godsheart

vNOqps6.png

BURNOUT
Your ship has only two stats: Damage and Crew Strain. If either one reaches 10 at any point, you burn out and leave the race. Each time you Jump, you roll on a random events table to see whether you take Damage and/or Crew Strain. (None of the random events will ever take you below 0 Damage or Crew Strain, so if you're at 0 already and something beneficial happens, the benefit is wasted - but at least something bad didn't happen.)

TRAVEL
One turn/post (you might want to use 'captain's log' summary style) includes however many Jumps it takes to get to the next waypoint you pick, and all the random events that impact you during those Jumps. For clarity:
  • Post 1: Starting location to your first choice of waypoint.
  • Post 2: First to second waypoint.
  • Post 3: Second to third waypoint.
  • Post 4: Third waypoint to leaving the map.
A Jump is a marked route connecting two adjacent stops. For example, Bothawui to Nal Hutta along the Kaaga Run would be six Jumps (Void Station, Nar Kaaga, Carnovia, Circumtore, Rorak, Nal Hutta).

Systematic genocide has cursed all of Bryn'adul territory, what spacers call the Scar Worlds. Traveling through Bryn'adul space comes with horrific risks. For each Jump that touches red (Bryn'adul) territory, roll a d12 (12-sided die) on the Scar Worlds events list.

For any Jump that doesn't touch Bryn'adul territory, roll a d12 on the Normal Space events list.

Once per turn/post, you can opt to make an Offroad Jump. An Offroad Jump can be:
  • Between any reasonably nearby planet and an unconnected place like Kessel, the Godsheart, or Ganatha.
  • A reasonable shortcut instead of going the long way around (e.g. Riileb to Ylesia, Near Pando to Gamorr).
Offroad Jumps can be a blessing or a curse. For an Offroad Jump, roll a d20 on the Normal Space events list or the Scar Worlds events list, depending on whether your Offroad Jump crosses Bryn'adul territory.

RANDOM EVENT TABLES
All dice rolls work on the honor system. For each normal Jump, use a d12; for an Offroad Jump, use a d20. For example, say your first post requires six Jumps, one of which is an Offroad Jump, and all of which take place outside Bryn'adul territory. You would roll 5d12 and 1d20 on the Normal Space column, and those events are your post.

YOUR ROLLNormal Space Scar Worlds
1Overzealous Jedi. +1 crew strain.You barely escape a Bryn'adul patrol. +1 damage or +1 crew strain
2Uneventful. This region is peaceful and secure. -1 crew strain.Uneventful. This is tense and desolate space. +1 crew strain.
3You find an opportunity to rest. Remove all crew strain.You encounter a wrecked Kubaz ship with no survivors. You can linger to scavenge parts (-2 damage) and/or give the dead a funeral of some kind (-2 crew strain), but roll again if you choose to linger. Roll twice if you choose both scavenging and a funeral.
4You encounter the Wretched Hive, and Dingo Darr owes you a favor. Remove all damage.You barely escape a Bryn'adul patrol. +1 damage or +1 crew strain
5You find a good mechanic. -1 damage.Uneventful. This is tense and desolate space. +1 crew strain.
6Uneventful. This region is peaceful and secure. -1 crew strain.A t'landa Til refugee ship shares its tales of genocide in passing. +2 crew strain.
7Silver Jedi healer. -1 crew strain.You stumble on a major Bryn'adul fleet. +3 damage, -1 crew strain from the miraculous escape.
8You find a good mechanic. -2 damage.Uneventful. This is tense and desolate space. +1 crew strain.
9You encounter an Ithorian herd ship. The Priests of the Mother Jungle share a delicious, albeit vegan, meal with you. Remove all crew strain.You barely escape a Bryn'adul patrol. 1 damage or 1 crew strain
10Uneventful. This region is peaceful and secure. -1 crew strain.You encounter a gutted Hutt Lord's caravel and find a small fortune in the gangster's carnage. -3 crew strain.
11You find a good mechanic. -1 damage.Uneventful. This is tense and desolate space. +1 crew strain.
12Uneventful. This region is peaceful and secure. -1 crew strain.You barely escape a Bryn'adul patrol. +1 damage or +1 crew strain.
13Overzealous Jedi. +2 crew strain.You pick up a distress call - a Tintinna refugee ship in desperate need of components. If you help, +1 damage and -2 crew strain, and roll again (d12). If you don't answer the distress call, +2 crew strain.
14A Wookiee merchant needs a quick ride, planet to planet. -1 damage, -1 crew strain.You encounter a gutted Hutt Lord's caravel and find a small fortune in the gangster's carnage. -3 crew strain.
15You encounter the Wretched Hive, and Dingo Darr owes you a favor. Remove all damage.Kubaz resistance fighters buy your nav and sensor data - good money for a good cause. -2 crew strain.
16You blunder through a skirmish between Silver Jedi and Bryn'adul. +3 damage.You encounter the Wretched Hive, and Dingo Darr owes you a favor. Remove all damage.
17A t'landa Til refugee ship shares its tales of genocide in passing. +2 crew strain.You find safe harbor with Antarian Rangers. -2 crew strain.
18You encounter a Sith infiltration mission of some kind and barely escape. +3 to damage, +1 to crew strain.You pick up a distress call - a Barabel refugee ship in desperate need of components. If you help, +2 damage and -2 crew strain, and roll again (d20). If you don't answer the distress call, +2 crew strain.
19You encounter severe hyperspace turbulence. +2 damage.You get caught in a 'last stand' situation alongside a pack of Glottalphib guerrillas. The Bryn'adul eradicate them. +4 damage, +2 crew strain.
20You encounter an Ithorian herd ship. The Priests of the Mother Jungle share a delicious, albeit vegan, meal with you. Remove all crew strain.You stumble on a major Bryn'adul fleet. +3 damage, -1 crew strain from the miraculous escape.

Those who may be interested in a race along these general lines: Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian Saija Kwann Saija Kwann Lief Lief Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei Kirk Korrado Milla Kryst Milla Kryst

Last edited:
Okay so I saw Teth on the map and am likely going that route... So I guess my question is, if we do hit 10 on either of them how can we write the burnout outcome? Is it a matter of knowing it's a failed mission and turning back/taking the quickest route out of dodge? Is that our prerogative? Just curious since I'm probably not going to make it to the final destination :')

Okay so I saw Teth on the map and am likely going that route... So I guess my question is, if we do hit 10 on either of them how can we write the burnout outcome? Is it a matter of knowing it's a failed mission and turning back/taking the quickest route out of dodge? Is that our prerogative? Just curious since I'm probably not going to make it to the final destination :')

Obviously it means you find a safe place to hide until my successful self can come in and rescue you.

Kirk Korrado

K

Also to add to this question, if we make it to our final destinations do we then need to go back and finish at one of the starting points?

Kirk Korrado

K
I don't have an official answer to the end there but I planned out my route and if I get to the end I'm going back to where I started via a different route

That's a good idea. If I manage to make my final destination (I'm hopeful right now) I might try and exit out the other side for the challenge

Once per turn/post, you can opt to make an Offroad Jump as one of your five Jumps.

I know I asked over a DM, but it's probably wiser to ask in here so everybody can see: While it's become pretty clear that this doesn't mean you only get five jumps in a post, does this mean you need to make a minimum of five jumps to be able to make an offroad jump, or is the number there just an artifact from an earlier write-up of the rules, and you just get to make one offroad jump in a post?

I know I asked over a DM, but it's probably wiser to ask in here so everybody can see: While it's become pretty clear that this doesn't mean you only get five jumps in a post, does this mean you need to make a minimum of five jumps to be able to make an offroad jump, or is the number there just an artifact from an earlier write-up of the rules, and you just get to make one offroad jump in a post?
The latter, thanks for catching that. Will fix now.

Entirely your prerogative. Anything from 'we limped away and are done' to 'ship blew up, caught a ride' to 'dead'. Go nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom