Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gathering Storm

Religion was not something that Jacen took much of an interest in. It was something that happened, just usually elsewhere. He’d heard of the Moross crusade of course and how it had petered out before reaching the civilised sectors of the Galaxy. He’d never had much of an interest in coming to see it for himself.

When Omai had asked for the names of any more Jedi who would be likely to join the cause, Jacen had immediately named the Talith children. Whilst he held reservations about youngsters fighting on the frontlines, the siblings were determined and able. This New Jedi Order would need their kind if they were to take the fight to the Sith.

Aela had apparently been contacted by Rhen himself, but that left Jacen to track down the younger brother. Fortunately his time as a Jedi Investigator had left him with the skills to follow a trail. Even more fortuitous was that Micah’s ship, the Kaile's shadow, was sat near a landing bay, ramp open. Staying away from the religious fanatics was a win in Jacen’s book.

“Hello?” he called. There was no response. He stepped inside tentatively. The lights didn’t come on and in the late evening it was dark. There were no signs of moment, but he could sense life. Perhaps he had fallen asleep.

He spotted movement out of the corner of his eyes. He turned, but saw nothing. The shadows shifted. Jacen felt uneasy.

“Micah?” he called loudly. The response was a quiet growl.

Crap.

[member="Micah Talith"]

The last time Vexen had felt like this Micah had been squeezing through a hole in a duracrete wall and entering her dark little nest. It was a violation. This was her home and he had brazenly walked in. The human stumbled back a step when she growled involuntarily. His eyes scanned the bay around him and his hand rested on the hilt of his lightsaber. She knew what those were now. Micah practised frequently with his, and now she knew why he had been so determined to get it back.

Vexen could sense this man’s fear and tension. Was he some Sith come to hurt Micah? Her little heart thumped in her chest as she backed away deeper into the shadows. Whilst she wasn’t well versed in the use of the Force, she was becoming more proficient in some aspects. In her mind’s eye the route to Micah was like a silvery tendril.

Micah! she called to him desperately.

[member="Jacen Voidstalker"]

“Her bark is worse than her bite,” came the lighthearted taunt, the young man’s voice drifting from behind Jacen’s back. A quick turn would reveal the Talith with a loose white shirt, a stained rag in his hands used to wipe the grease from his fingers, and the typical mused mop of shaggy light brown hair with an itch to flop over his forehead. He was a man grown now, eighteen. At a 1.9 meters in height, he was barely at Aela’s height, but not as tall as his father Soliael. It was comical really, considering their mother only topped at 1.53 meters in height. Everyone towered over her.

The twin bright suns of his eyes would twinkle with notable mirth, a mirror in hue to the serious glint normally seen in his elder sister’s eyes. But where Aela Esmae Shamalain Talith kept her emotions under strict lock and key save in the privacy of those she held dear, Micah wore his on his sleeve. Lighthearted and easygoing, with a social knack that came from his mother, and the determination of his father, Micah was by far the most approachable and friendliest of the Taliths.

Perhaps a bit too much.

“Been a while Jace,” Micah say with a crooked grin, glancing up towards the ramp to where Vexen hid in the shadows.

“It’s just Jace, Vex,” the Talith would convey to the defel, aware she was there and cautious as ever.
“He’s a friend.”

Jacen kept one eye on the shadows as he turned to face the Talith. His hand came away from his saber quickly, but that didn’t instantly calm the nerves. Regardless of his Jedi training, fear was such a primal emotion it was hard to quench. What the kark was he keeping as a pet anyway?

“When did you get so bloody tall?” Jacen replied with a smile, offering his hand. It was as if the lad had been stretched out on a rack, with that lanky look that most young adults had at this age. He wasn’t as broad as Voidstalker still, but he was now his equal in height.

“Got time for a chat?” he asked politely. He did well to stay rooted to the spot when something detached itself from the shadows and dropped down onto the ramp. When it stretched up to full height he realised it was, in fact, tiny. In the half-light he could barely see it, but he could definitely see eyes and teeth in its shadowy form.

“Hi?” he asked tentatively.

"Hi," Vexen replied. "I'm Vexen," she added. She crept within a few feet of the man. Her small nose twitched as she sniffed the air near him. Her heart slowed to a regular rhythm as she watched Micah's relaxed mannerisms, letting his own calm wash over her.

She turned on her heel and wandered back off into the shuttle, now bored with the situation. Should could go back to her quiet corner and finish her nap now.

[member="Jacen Voidstalker"] [member="Vexen"]

With a half shrug as if apologizing for the engine grease on his fingers, Micah gave a half wipe of the rag one last time and then took Jacen's hand. A firm shake and a snarky smile came next.

"I have nothing on Aela," he joked, encouraging Voidstalker to follow him up inside to the ship. "Vex, you gonna want to eat?" he yelled out for her, knowing that perhaps the Defel went off to go sleep, but wanting to invite her anyways so she felt part of the conversation. He didn't want her to feel lonely or isolated.

"So, now whats going on?" he asked over his shoulder, a thick brow arching in query. Then a sly grin, "Or did you need someone to smuggle you into Zeltros?"

It was hard to determine if the Talith was being serious or not.

[member="Micah Talith"]
Jacen sighed. If he was the lad's old man he'd have had unpleasant words for someone who tried to take his son off on a campaign of war. Omai Rhen had been out of the loop for a long while and hadn't even heard of exploits of the Covenant. He'd only found Jacen because he'd been tracking down members who'd left the Jedi Order.

"The Jedi Order is self interested and indecisive. I'm here because I reckon you want to make a difference. Ever hear of a man called Omai Rhen?"

Micah would quizingly study Voidstalker. The Jedi Order, in the traditional sense with the Republic wasn't really on the Talith's radar. He spent the bulk of his studies learning from his father, uncles, aunt, oma, great oma, and mother. That wasn't even including the various professors from the Jedi Academy. While his mum was of the Order, and would consider herself to be a member of the Jedi Order, he himself was not.

Hearing Jace talk about it was rather strange. More so when he spoke of an Omai Rhen.

Tossing the dirty rag into a bin, the young man shook his head. "Doesn't ring a bell." he admitted. "Why?" he would ask, probing further. He had much of his mum and a good bit of his father to want to make a difference indeed. It always starts with one, his mum would say. And as the heart of the family, his sisters and he - and very likely his father as he understood it so - took it to heart.

Flopping down on the acceleration couch, he set one arm over the back rest, legs swung wide as he relaxed. A frown then a wry expression of snark would follow.

"Did Aela finally find somebody to love?"

He just didn't know when to quit.

Once again, Jacen thought he did well not to jump out of his skin when the little shadow creature emerged again. It the well lit room he could more easily make out the silhouette. It was sort of like a long-armed bothan, but only a few feet high. It went passed them and rounded a corner. Jacen heard the sound of a container being opened and rummaging. Apparently the little creature had decided to go for some food after-all.

"I should hope not!" Jacen replied with a grin. "Especially as Omar is around sixty. No, he's a Jedi Master. I believe he fought the old Sith Empire before going into retirement. He's looking for recruits and I mentioned the work the Taliths had been doing.

"There's a New Jedi Order being formed to help a new free alliance out along the Rimma trade route. We're going to take the fight back to the Sith, instead of playing debate club."

[member="Micah Talith"]

Micah gave a chuckle, and waved over for [member="Vexen"] to sit next to him. "Hey Vex, think you can get me an apple please?" a glance went back over to Voidstalker. "You want a drink or something? I've some frozen burritos and a few nerfsteaks I can grill up."

It wasn't that he was avoiding the conversation, it is just that for Micah, unlike Aela, didn't quite take saving the universe that seriously. If he could make a small difference, he was all for it. But he wanted to at least hear more about it.

"A New Order, eh?" he finally got back to the topic at hand. "So what makes this one so different from the other dozen that pop up like Rodian mushrooms?" it was said with lighthearted humor, a crooked grin upon the Talith's face.

He rarely took things seriously.

There came a grunt, followed by the sound of another door being opened and shut. Jacen assumed that meant Vex had agreed to get an apple. The small shadow came back a few moments later, depositing itself on the floor beside Micah. Voidstalker could make out its eyes and teeth, but the rest was an indistinct black shake. It had a clear presence in the Force however. To his other senses she stood out clearly against the background flow of the Force. Perhaps even a Force User herself.

He realised he was staring. The awkward silence was apparent.

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, but could I ask what species you are Vexen?”

Vexen finished chewing her mouthful of bread. She was more put out by having her eating interrupted than the blunt nature of his question. She really enjoyed thick cuts of bread with too much salty butter spread across it.

“Dunno,” she said with a shrug. “Heard of types like me called ‘wraiths’ before,” she said. Micah seemed relaxed about this man, so she was reasonably at ease. Still, she didn’t like other people coming into Micah’s ship. It had become her home and some part of her didn’t like welcoming strangers. It made her feel uneasy. Her species wasn’t something she worried about too much; she was what she was. Defel’s had never been around the Galaxy much before the plague and the dark times. It seemed what knowledge there was of them had mostly been lost. Still, when they’d crash landed not long ago she’d had that incredibly vivid dream. Caves above her, indistinct shapes, but that smell…that smell that made her feel so safe and loved. And that voice…

She shrugged to herself and took another bite of bread, bored of their conversation.

"Thank you," Jacen replied, still feeling slightly bad for the awkward staring and blunt question. He turned back to Micah.

"Because I think they've really got the drive and skills to make a stand, for once. They've been digging up old dinosaurs like me, as well as young fired up warriors like you. And if nothing else, if Alen is there, Laura might be..."

[member="Micah Talith"]

[member="Jacen Voidstalker"] [member="Vexen"]

Micah gave Vex a smile in thanks, a gelden sun apple handed to him by a small clawed paw. He lightly began to scratch behind Vex's ears, a comforting touch to show appreciation. The question on what Vexen was was brought up, and while he could understand Jace's curiosity, he felt a bit defensive. It waned, however, as Vex answered the question as much as she could.

Micah cheered up again, eating his apple. It was mid chew that his attention suddenly perked.

"Cricket?" he asked again, the childhood nickname he had for [member="Laura Na'Varro"]. He hadn't seen her in a while. Missed her actually. Curiosity struck the bait, and he too it hard.

"Where is this," he gestured with a finger, chewing a bit of the apple before swallowing, "Supposed to met at then?"

[member="Micah Talith"]

Jacen looked around them, as if he'd miraculously spot some Sith spy hanging around. "You understand this isn't something to be communicated across the Holonet right? They're rallying at Sullust. They've got a rag-tag fleet, but it's still a fleet. It seems many of the disenfranchised, homeless, and desperate have come together to make a stand. Na'varro's been called, I reckon he can shape something out of the army. They've got an ex-Republic Mon-cal Admiral, he's got a plan too. But it's Omai Rhen who's going to build the New Jedi Order, give them steel, give them purpose. I know you Taliths like the wonder, but I also know you want to fight back," he said sincerely. The effect was someone lost by a small burp from Vexen, who Micah was still idly scratching.

The crunch of another bite of an apple would permeate the room.

Micah would mull over this, considering his options. Sullust was it? He gave a slight frown, then darted his attention back to Jace. The guy really thought this was legit, he could tell by his body language, the way that he spoke. That was the Lorrdian side of him, what he managed to grab a knack with from his mum. The body never lies.

Turning down to Vex, he gave her a gentle tap by her chin, as if to get her attention.

"What do you think Vex? You wanna go to Sullust?" This was as much of her decision as his.

[member="Micah Talith"]

Vexen shrunk back in on herself what Micah asked her a serious question. She didn’t know much about the galaxy. Its size and scale still overwhelmed her. All she knew was that wherever Micah went, she went. She stuck to that principle vehemently. She didn’t know it, but Defel’s were fiercely loyal little creatures who formed tight family groups. She’d spent her early years deprived of that experience, left hollow by its absence. Now she clung ever more tightly to the human boy who had rescued her from her squalid hole. She hated it when he went on his little spying trips with Aela, leaving her to pine alone. Sometimes the other Covenant members spoke to her, but that bond had never been truly formed.

“Okay,” she replied quietly. “If you think its best.”

[member="Vexen"] [member="Jacen Voidstalker"]

Micah felt and saw the tension that ran along Vex’s diminutive body. Drawing her into his arms, he held her close, attempting to soothe away her nervousness and confusion. She was still learning about the galaxy, exploring and coming to terms with everything. He did his best to teach her more about it, but he knew it took time. Small steps.

Having her socialize more perhaps will help out with that. “You’ll get to see the others again, and maybe start off those lessons so you can come with me on trips.” He would offer. Granted, the first few would be of the sort that wouldn’t place her in too much harm. Much like his father had done with him and his sisters, it was a matter of getting her acquainted with everything by degrees.

Turning back to Jace, he shot him a crooked grin. “Guess we are going to Sullust.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom