Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Gang's All Here

Black Spire Outpost was actually a rather lovely destination, for people like the crew of the Outrider II. The planet Batuu was mild in climate, and free of influence from any galactic powers. Giant, petrified trees towered over the landscape, including the eponymous Black Spire, surrounding the world's largest settlement. People from all over came and went, all taking part in a silent agreement to keep their noses in their own business. This was a haven for any who wished to lay low. And a rather cosmopolitan trade stop, to boot.

"Here we are," Levi said proudly, taking a deep breath as he stepped of the ship, "Now that's some real fresh air." Montitian cities were a tad stuffy. Out here on the frontier, a real sense of freedom took hold. The devaronian looked to his companions, "As I understand it, my contact is a frequent patron one of the local cantinas. We can make our way over, unless you all have anything you'd like to do of first?" There was plenty to see on Batuu, and they had a bit more time before cantinas would start to fill up.

Levi scanned the surrounding port until he found a stand that interested him. A local was selling fresh food, which looked especially appealing to the runaway convict, after nothing but gruel. The vendor raised a hand, "Bright suns," A local greeting.

Levi tilted his head, and spread his arms, "Indeed!" He replied cheerfully, despite not really understanding the meaning, "Ah— One of those, please," He exchanged a few credits, and returned to the others with a steaming kebab of meat. He took a bite, and nodded in satisfaction, "We're a bit strapped for cash right now, but by all means, unwind a bit. We're free men."

Jacen wasn't just strapped for cash—he was completely broke. He stared at Levi as the old devil bought food from a street vendor, presumably with credits he had stowed away on the Outrider II. “I don’t see the point in unwinding yet,” he said, raising an eyebrow. “We need to get to work and make some money. The sooner the better.

If he started thinking too far ahead, things would get overwhelming. So, short term goals only. The boy wasn’t hungry yet, so he at least had that going for him. He was wearing borrowed clothes (it wasn’t a good idea for a fugitive to run around in a prison uniform, even in a place like Black Spire Outpost) that were too big for him and not very flattering to boot. He needed money to buy better clothes. Maybe someday he’d be able to buy his own ship…

Too far ahead. Stick with the clothes for now.

BLACK SPIRE OUTPOST
BATUU
Similarly to their vampiric companion, Judd didn't look like he was having a good time.

The large Dowutin had been forced to keep on his prison jumpsuit- nothing else they had found yet could fit him. So he improvized, ripping off the sleeves with his considerable strength, and acquiring a roughspun vest to cover the most notable symbols. He was still lacking a hand, too, the stump wrapped in his former sleeves.

"I'm with the kid," Judd said cantankerously. "We've got squat, and I need to buy a prosthetic. Unless we can find someone willing to lend a hand." He found a spiky smile.

"Can your contact hook us up with a job? Credits? New clothes, at least?"

The other two weren't quite ready to treat this like a vacation just yet. Fair enough. Unlike them, Levi was already properly dressed: a nice pair of pants, a waistcoat, and an undershirt. Which is pretty much what he always wore. There were plenty of fresh sets on board the Outrider 2. He would have offered them some as well, except, he definitely wouldn't have. Those were his clothes. "I respect the hustle," Levi raised his hands in surrender.

"Can your contact hook us up with a job? Credits? New clothes, at least?"

"Not in your size, I wager," He regarded the Dowutin's mighty frame with a skeptically raised eyebrow, "But I'm sure he can find us a place to lay low. And maybe some opportunities for credits." The devaronian began to walk into the outpost proper, where they passed all manner of vendors, and all manner of travelers. Most offered little more than a glance, unless they were trying to sell something. "There must be some kind of- Ah," Levi pointed towards a structure. A proper building, rather than just one of the vendor stalls. It advertised an eclectic array of gear for fringers, "No doubt some pirate fashion trends on display there, hm?"

Levi retrieved some credits from his pocket and handed them out, like a parent distributing his children's allowance, "Should be enough to get you both something inconspicuous. Don't take too long. If anyone does ask, just ah—" He paused for a moment, crafting a suitable lie as casually as breathing, "Tell them it's a miner's jumpsuit. You're career asteroid drillers on shore leave." He gave them both a pat on the back, pushing them to head inside.

Judd was in the same boat as Jacen, in need of credits, clothes, and a prosthetic hand. Well, Jacen didn’t need the latter—

Levi was lackadaisical, since he was back to having his own ship and belongings. At least he acknowledged their situation and gave them some credits to buy clothes with. “Thanks,” Jacen said, counting the money. Something told him this would be a less than regular occurrence in the future. But it didn’t even cross his mind that he would have to pay Levi back for the money he’d borrowed.

A career asteroid driller? Jacen gestured to his barely-post-pubescent mug, then seemed to remember that child labor was still a thing in some parts of the galaxy. At least, from what he’d heard. He didn’t know exactly where this was happening. Hopefully no one would ask.

He walked into the store and returned fifteen minutes later with the ill-fitting clothes bundled up under one arm. His new outfit consisted of a black turtleneck and pants—not exactly pirate fashion, though the turtleneck at least was reminiscent of a sailor. “Here.” He handed Levi the bundle and the change. “Now where’s that cantina?

Well, it wasn't enough for a new hand, but it was something.

Still, Judd seemed ungrateful as Levi handed him the credits, wasting no time in turning around and walking into the building.

It took Judd a little longer to escape the clutches of the clothing store than Jacen. He emerged with what haphazard, bland clothes he could find that fit him. A dull leather vest, an off-white shirt with holes in it, and mismatched leather smuggler's pants. He failed to produce any change, like Jacen had, but he also had a new satchel over his shoulder he'd managed to stock with bandages.

"Still no weapons, but this'll have to do."

Levi waited outside while the other two shopped, people watching as he whistled a tune to pass the time. Once they retuned he welcomed with open arms, "Looking spick and span, my friends. At least as much as one ought to in this corner of the galaxy," He chuckled, eagerly taking back the change Jacen offered. They weren't exactly equipped, but in the absence of additional weaponry, a bundle of bandages would certainly be of use, "I saw one over that direction while loitering. Shall we?" He pointed down the street, where a hanging sign was just visible, one which designated a drinking den. Then, he was off.

The cantina was dingy, but well-stocked and busy with patrons, even at this time of day. To enter, Levi had to squeeze past a pair of large, hairy aliens, who barely seemed to notice his arrival. He sputtered, waving the faint haze of smoke and waft of booze that inundated his senses. He turned to the Jacen and Judd, raising his voice over the music, and the chatter in about a dozen different languages, "C'mon! He's gotta be around here somewhere!" Levi pushed further in, exploring the bar area for a sign of his old contact, "If you see a-!" Before he could even finish, he found him.

"Ha! Rask!" He clapped a hand against the back of a Bothan man, who turned around drowsily. His fur was brown, and graying.

"Levi…" The Bothan mumbled, sipping at his drink. His eyes then suddenly went wide, "Levi?"

The devaronian chuckled, "Rask! My old friend. It's been too long. I see ah… retirement, is going well for you?" He asked skeptically.

Rask snorted, shaking off some of his stupor, "You could say that. Uh, who are these ones?" He pointed a finger at Judd and Jacen.

"My new crew." Levi said proudly.

"Aw jeez, Levi. I'd a thought you learned your lesson last time."

"Of course not."

The Bothan shook his head, "Well what's the deal? I know you didn't come out here for a friendly chat."

"Why not? Maybe I just wanted to catch up with my dear old First Mate."

"…"

"Alright, fine. We just broke out of prison and need to make some money."

"…"

"And maybe a place to lay low?"

Rask scratched his chin, and sighed, "…Alright, come on. Let's move over to a table." He stood up, and found a corner seat away from the concentration of patrons. He gestured for every to join him at the table, "So, why don't you give me the rundown, hm?"

Jacen snorted faintly when Judd bemoaned their lack of weapons. He could go for a blaster or two himself, but for now he could make do with his fists and fangs. Once they were all together again, Levi led them to a nearby cantina. The boy fell into step behind the Devaronian, feeling much better now that he had shed the skin of a convict.

Inside the smoke-choked bar, Jacen sat at a table beside Judd and Levi. Across from him was Rask, a Bothan who had apparently once been Levi’s First Mate. Rask seemed rather dubious about all this, but at least he was receptive to the idea of helping them lay low.

Jacen’s eyes wandered, taking in the other patrons. Like his father before him, he was a shameless people-watcher, and there were plenty of interesting types in this room to observe. One trio seated in the booth behind him was engaged in a rather interesting conversation…

The Alliance brought a bloody apocalypse down on our ears back there. I’m surprised we made it out alive.

We got lucky. Kark… I may not have gotten along with my folks, but it was nice having a home to go back to. I never appreciated it the way I should’ve. Now that it’s gone…

Well Ganner, you’ve always been like a son to me. Not like my actual son, who grew up without my knowing he existed and died before we ever had the chance to meet… Er, anyway, I just want you to know that you’ll always have a family with me and the crew.

It’s not enough. I want revenge. If I can’t have revenge, then I want that treasure.

Jacen was so distracted that failed to notice Rask was asking them all for an explanation. Sitting up straighter, he looked at the others before answering, “We broke out on Montitia. These two are pirates. I’m just a kid with fangs. I’ve got no choice but to lay low, and I figured I might as well stick with them.

As destitute as the little hole-in-the-wall bar they crawled into was, Judd would take it over a prison cafeteria any day.

Judd shoulder-checked past the pair of large aliens at the door, their protestations cut off when they realized the Dowutin was at least a foot taller than both of them. He snorted threateningly at them both, before continuing on his way, adjusting his new pack as he dove into the crowded establishment with his new crew.

Thankfully, it wasn't long before Levi seemed to find his contact. Waiting for the pleasantries to be over with, the large pirate took a wide sweep of the room, orange eyes narrowed in suspicion. They took a seat at the edge of the room, though Judd didn't sit down heavily, ready to spring up at a moment's notice.

Judd regarded Rask coolly as Jacen explained their situation. Then, he sighed a little, perhaps regretting what he was about to say. "The three of us... work well together. If you've got something worth doing, we can probably do it." He sent death glares at the other two, as if to dare them to say he was 'warming up' to them. He wasn't.

He was stating facts.

Rask looked between them all, then gave a simple, "Hm."

Levi shrugged, "Yep. That's pretty much it."

"Well I ain't got much in the way of property, Levi, so a place to stay isn't exactly in the cards. But uh— You got the ship right? You got quarters in there. Just stay planetside for a while. Most people do it their whole lives. You can manage a few days."

The devaronian raised his hands in surrender once more, "Fair enough. I suppose staying in the Outrider II is the closest I'll feel to being out and about, eh?" Just close your eyes and pretend the ship is drifting in space, instead of sitting dormant in a Batuu port.

"As for jobs…" The Bothan leaned in, and stroked his whiskers, "A certain someone says they've been scammed by the local pawn broker. Found out the items were worth a lot more than he claimed, and now they want them back. Now normally you fail to do your due diligence like that around here, tough luck, but ya move on. Apparently whatever this fella sold him is worth enough that they're willing to pay a share of the item's legit value to any would-be repo men."

"Pawn broker's got some solid security in his shop, but that shouldn't be a problem for a master thief like you, hm? Besides, it's local trouble, so you're not likely to catch any heat from law enforcement. Perfect opportunity for some up-and-comers, don't you think?"

Judd may have shot death glares at his mates, but his words revealed the truth he was reluctant to admit. A faint smile crossed Jacen’s features, but he let the big guy keep his hard-ass dignity.

Rask advised them to just stay on their ship. “Sure, but that ship was our getaway,” Jacen pointed out. “They’ll know to look for the Outrider II. We’d be sitting ducks.” Granted, what were the odds of bounty hunters or space cops coming all the way out to Black Spire just for the three of them?

Moving on to jobs, Rask had a helpful suggestion: shake down a local pawnbroker and retrieve a valuable item he had scammed someone out of. “Sure,” Jacen said. He couldn’t help noticing that the once lively conversation behind him had abruptly fallen silent.

Levi was thankfully free of any judgement of Judd's image, but Jacen received the full blast of the Dowutin's ire with his stupid little smile.

Jacen, of course, only received more grief from Judd when he talked about distancing themselves from the ship. "And if the Alliance finds the ship when we're not on it, what do you think they'll do?" At best, tag and track it. At worst, leave a killsquad aboard. Somewhere in the middle, blow it up. "I like being in close proximity with the most valuable thing we have." He'd slept in far less accommodating positions. Discomfort was the least of his concerns.

Rask's job was as good of one a band of misfits could hope for. Simple repo, even only dubiously illegal. "I like it," he grunted, looking between the other two. If it were just his decision, he'd take it in a heartbeat. He turned to Rask, his intense orange eyes burning at the thought of credits. "What's the item?"

Rask regarded Jacen and Judd, "Both good points. Sounds like the vote is in, though. Can always rent a room somewhere if it bothers you that much," He noted to Jacen, a faint knowing smile on his lips. Even if his strategy wasn't the one the crew would be settling on, the kid's intuition was good, given he was apparently new to all this. Levi hd a similar smirk on his face, the two old-timers having their own side-conversation, in expressions only, throughout the meeting.

"It's a cask," Rask leaned in conspiratorially, "Or more importantly, what's inside the cask. Some old booze from Chaldea, I guess. Evidently quite precious." Then he leaned back once more, and shrugged, "So— You in?"

"Yes," Levi immediately interjected, before glancing at his crew mates, "Yes?"

Jacen just shrugged at Judd’s response. He knew he was too much of a greenhorn when it came to being a fugitive criminal to have any claim on knowing what he was talking about.

At the mention of the Cask, there was a gasp from the other table—which was quickly (albeit not very convincingly) disguised as a sneeze. Jacen certainly noticed, but his attention was torn away at the mention of Chaldea. He knew more than the average person did about Chaldea, mainly thanks to his having co-written a book about the history of the planet with his late father, though he was out of the loop when it came to its destruction. He’d been in prison, after all.

Sure,” Jacen said with a smirk. “The Cask of Bartych Halcorr? Chaldeans are teetotalers. Their religion forbids them from drinking alcohol, but their founder supposedly kept a Cask in secret. Whoever drinks it is supposed to live forever.

There was a moment of quiet disbelief as Judd processed what they were going to repo. He'd expected jewelry, a vehicle, a family heirloom maybe... but booze? That was unexpected.

The Cask of Bartych Halcorr? Chaldeans are teetotalers."

Judd simply blinked at Jacen. The boy was speaking in tongues, apparently.

"Kay," Judd relented, attempting to go with the flow. "So we bust in this pawn guy's place, grab the alcohol, and jet without getting spotted? That sounds simple enough."

"Yes. Yes?"

The Dowutin sighed. "Yeah. I'm in."

Levi raised a brow at the boy's sudden exposition, "When did you become an expert on Chaldea?" The devaronian asked. He hardly knew much of anything about the world himself, other than a reputation for religious zeal. Whatever the case; Be it the Cask of Whosit Whatsit or not, whether the booze actually makes one immortal or not, it didn't actually matter. They were getting paid to retrieve it either way.

"Sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus to me, but we might just earn ourselves a sip regardless." He shrugged. The others were in. Rask nodded at Judd, affirming his takeaway of the job.

"Excellent," The Bothan said, his lip curling back to reveal a slight, toothy grin. He and Levi clasped hands, and shook once, "The pawn shop is on the other side of town. You'll be best off waiting till it closes. Shouldn't be much longer now," He glanced towards a window, outside of which the streets of Black Spire Outpost continued to dim, "Bring the cask to Loading Bay Cresh when you're done. I'll link up with the client and let 'em know you're on the job."

Levi stood up, "The opportunity is much appreciated old friend. I knew I could count on you to pull us through."

Rask nodded again, "What kind of first mate would I be if I didn't?" He then pointed a finger at the Devaronian, "Just don't fuck it up, hm?" Then, with a final regarding look at the other pirates, he made an exit.

Levi turned to them next, "Alright. Sounds like we've got a job to do boys. Our first official one!" He sounded giddy, like a proud parent witnessing a child's milestone. He was getting back in the game, "Finish your drinks. And let's be off."

Last edited:
I wrote a book about Chaldea with my father,” Jacen replied with a shrug.

Rask gave them instructions on what to do before he left. Levi seemed eager to get started, as was Judd. Jacen stood up and headed out, his gaze briefly flicking toward the pirates at the table next to theirs as he walked past them. A handsome man in a keffiyeh, a redhead with an eye patch, and an older feller missing a few teeth. He had a feeling they would be seeing that peculiar trio again.

"You wrote a book?" Judd's disbelieving stare bored through Jacen. Authors were, understandably, not within his usual circles. Most of the time, his people could barely read.

With that quick tip out of the way, Levi's former first mate made a hasty exit. Judd watched the man go, a thoughtful frown on his face. It wasn't dissimilar to the Dowutin's usual annoyed expressions, but this one held a smidge of calculation. Why wasn't the pirate jumping at the chance to rejoin his former captain...?

"Alright. Sounds like we've got a job to do boys. Our first official one! Finish your drinks. And let's be off."

"I never even got a drink," he protested quietly, before standing slowly to his feet. He didn't argue further with the Devaronian; he didn't like eyes on him, and it felt like there were too many already.

Levi shot Jacen a quizzical look, Judd speaking their matching thoughts aloud. The kid was full of peculiarities, especially for the sort of circles they're kind frequented. Oh well; Nothing wrong with a unique crewmate. If anything it just made the pirate life more interesting.

The Bothan made a quick exit, and the men of the Outrider were soon to be off, "Aw, would you like to order one to go?" Levi asked in an almost babyish tone, but with enough sincerity still leaking through that it was a genuine offer, if he really wanted something that bad. They didn't need long. Either way, Levi stepped outside and waited for the others. The shop had likely only just closed, or was still getting ready to. A pause to regroup and plan wouldn't hurt.

"I know piracy isn't always a subtle business. You all ever run a B&E like this before?"
Levi said, rubbing his hands together. He spoke with experience. "Rask said the pawn shop has some good security. At least by civilian standards. I reckon some automated systems are in place. Droids, maybe."

"You wrote a book?"

"I've co-written several, actually. History books based on my father's research." But Jacen doubted they cared about the details. They just wanted to gawk at how strange he was compared to them.

"What's a B&E?" he asked, no doubt making their differences all the more apparent. "I don't suppose you have any ION blasters?" If they were going to be fighting droids, that meant no feeding during battle. "Before we go to the shop, I need to get a quick bite. I'll meet you there."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom