Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Force and the Monarch

Ariel Yvarro

A
Men and women have died before, gone long before their time had truly come. Died at the marks of the rapid rifles, gone with the choirs of war and taken by the orchestra of hell. Natasi's fate had been sealed and for six years she had been gone from this realm. Six years had passed, the seasons come and the seasons went and all the while Ariel had not thought it possible to bring life from death. It was until a fateful meeting that now led to another, the Emperor would dine at Herevan tonight, but this was done and arranged before there could have been any other word. Ariel the sole reason that her cousin walked today, did not feel shame - nor did she feel she should.
Ariel missed Natasi.
She missed her in a way that sisters missed one another, in a way that a child might yearn for their guardian. A pain many had come to know but many did not know the devil the way Ariel knew her. So there she was at Herevan Hold, sitting on the sill, a stitched pillow atop the bench looking out the window. Glancing below to watch the coming and the going, her room was lit - far more than thoughts that lurked in her mind. If her gamble had failed and Prazutis correct then she'd only have herself to blame. However, who could truly blame her? Would one not want their sibling back? Would not one yearn to have another day with their guardian? Truly, doomed - a soul, taken from the Netherworld but not by force, no - a question, an answer, an anticipated revival awaited them both.
Quietly she sat and pondered her mind wandered to the day, the hour to recall. The moment of her cousin's death, her eyes were gone distant into a memory, unaware of the steps that now approached the door. Unaware of the hand on that knocked, until it seemed to boom in the depths of her mind. Ariel was startled out of her trance and she gave but a glance over her shoulder and looked at the door, she took a moment to gather her thoughts and heart. She rose to her feet and gave her answer, "come in."

skin, bone, and arrogance
The human replica droid that filled the function of Hendersmith, the Fortan's long-suffering butler who was enjoying a holiday whilst dark deeds were being done at Herevan, had rung the gong some time ago, signaling that dinner was imminent and that those assembled in the stately home should dress for dinner. Natasi, who was becoming ever more effective at dressing herself and doing her own hair, had completed this task well ahead of the appointed hour. She paused a moment, sitting in front of her mother's dressing table and carefully tucking a chestnut hair behind her ear. "What kind of day has it been?" she asked her reflection, the ghost of a smirk crossing her pale lips. She picked up her lipstick and carefully applied a reasonably modest shade and blotted.

She has been asking herself that question for some days now. Natasi never could find an acceptable answer.

She draped a set of jet beads over her shoulder and examined her appearance one more in the mirror before she rose and left the room. In the old house, before the fire, it had belonged to her parents, and when she rebuilt it Natasi had never intended to occupy the suite. But after she married, her bedroom lacked the space for Talbot's clothes and did not allow for the polite fiction common in Galidraani aristocrats that husband and wife slept apart, whereas her parents' suite — really, the Earl and Countess' bedroom — had ample storage, a sitting room, and a dressing room with a bed made up for Talbot, though he rarely slept there.

It was funny that, though so much had changed, she still had to stop herself turning left at the landing of the stairs. Ariel was in her room now. The little part of her mind that seethed with rage burned at the thought of the girl, pouring violence and obscenities into her mind. Natasi paused at the top of the stairs, then continued on towards Ariel's room. Yes, the voice whispered, yes, take me to her. Kill the insolent child, that foolish girl has ruined everything. She must be punished!

Natasi had learned not to reply out loud. That was what people in the medical industry called completely insane. And she was sure that they didn't let you be Supreme Leader if you were completely insane.

She stopped short outside the door, leaning close for a moment. After a few seconds, she raised her hand to knock on the door and, after being bid to enter, she let herself in and shut the door behind her. She offered her cousin a smile — the Presence burned painfully in the back of her mind — and crossed the room to where Ariel stood by the window. Natasi put an arm over Ariel's shoulder, resisting the impulse to curl her fingers around the girl's slender neck. "I just came to see if you wanted to borrow a brooch or something for the dinner," Natasi said, her eyebrows furrowing a little. "But you look like you've seen a ghost. Are you all right?"

How the wheel of fate turned.
It had been years since the last time the Dark Lord of the Sith had visited the quaint village of Herevan, the location of the Fortan's family estate on Galidraan. He had been to Galidraan itself many times over the past years, to leave little tokens of remembrance and respect for the fallen and martyred Grand Moff of the First Order, Natasi Fortan. A statue in her image had been erected in Calavar, Galidraan's capital city, where tens of thousands of mourners flocked to every year on the anniversary of Fortan's martyrdom to pay their respects. He himself was never among the crowds, he waited patiently to make his own offering under cover of darkness. He had, however, been there in person to commemorate the enshrining of Natasi's legacy in the form of an opulent edifice to her physical likeness.
Now, as his shuttle touched down near Herevan and the Dark Lord and his short entourage made their way to Fortan Hold, he began to think back on everything that had transpired recently. Natasi Fortan's resurrection was an unexpected but welcome surprise, as was her ascension as the new Supreme Leader of the gradually strengthening First Order. The Emperor never truly saw eye-to-eye with Sieger Ren, he reeked too much of short-sighted fanaticism to be any true ally to him, but Fortan had displayed sharp wit, clear vision, and unflinching pragmatism.
She would go farther than her predecessor ever dreamed.
Nearing the front entrance, the Dark Lord of the Sith relinquished his credentials to the staff which awaited him so that they may bid him entry into the Hold.

Ariel Yvarro

A

0IFjdrt.png

H E R E V A N

Tag: Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex | Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan

Ariel hadn't quite expected Natasi to come through her door. She should have, she knew that much but the thoughts in her mind were clouded and jumbled. "Oh." She said with some manner of surprise, "um, no I'm quite alright, and I think I look okay - or do I, do I need a brooch do you think?" She inquired her voice softer than usual.​

Whatever thoughts had captured Ariel fluttered as if she had been snapped out of a trance. The young woman even as she smiled looked lost, confused a rather unusual way for her to be but as of late Ariel felt more and more - lost. More so than she had before she embarked on the journey that led her to Natasi. So she took the opportunity to gather her thoughts and her brow furrowed while she did so. "I- I..." Her words left her before she could speak them.​
"When you died, Natasi - I was very lost," she began and looked her cousin in the eyes. "It was as if someone had ripped the very core of who I was right out of me."​
"I vowed to you, that I would do my best to bring your nation back, but I never would have imagined - not in a hundred years that I would be part of bringing you back, back here, to Galidraan to ... to the living." She stammered and took the moment to rise to her feet and put a hand behind her head. "I went to the best schools, I did the studying and I went to Dosuun, I went to Avalonia and I saw what it had become - how it had been treated and I was infuriated."​
She looked over at Natasi her facial expression shifted and she continued, "I just... I wasn't sure what to do when it was all over. When I had disposed of the Dosuun Hegemony and ensured that the First Order's military could once and for all vanquish those bloodied scaled beasts from the homeworld and then - I just."​
"I wondered how you did all of it, managed all of it - and I wonder, I wonder if what we did really brought you back..."​
"You, you, not some dastardly- cartoon villain version of you, but the Natasi that I knew." Her facial expression betrayed her, "and of all people arriving here tonight, the bloody damn Emperor of the entire Sith. I'm sorry, I- I wonder if what I did was the right thing." It wasn't but the thoughts in her mind were like poison and ever so slowly the scales tipped and she sighed, "just... I wanted to do everything right by you."​
Then again if that had truly been the case would Natasi be there? Now?​
"We should... we should get going, don't want anyone to be kept waiting on my account. I'm sure I'll sort myself out, sorry to uh, unload all of this."​
The approaching vehicle no doubt carried the Emperor, and if the sound of it wasn't enough then the movement of the servants and the rearrangement of the dining room would have to be enough.​

85jfYbQ.png

As Ariel spoke, Natasi felt herself cool, her dark eyes frosting over. Fat lot of good it does to wonder now, the voice whispered in her ear. When you've done it. When you've already rung a bell that can't be unrung. For once, Natasi felt herself in agreement with the hissing whispers in her mind. She withdrew her hand from Ariel's shoulder and clasped them before her, her eyes narrowing slightly. Ariel had her doubts. Well, that was unfortunate for Ariel, Natasi thought. Natasi had her own doubts, about herself, about her abilities, and about Ariel Yvarro.

Still, this required action. Natasi wouldn't put herself at risk, not when she had everything to play for.

"Thank you for sharing this with me," said Natasi, her voice calm and steady. "I appreciate your... candor. Yes, we must go down. He may be my guest here at Herevan, but we are guests in the Sith Empire. It is a privilege for us to receive him. Go down to the drawing room. I'll be along presently."

Natasi went down the stairs and went to the study, where she scrawled a quick note to her staff. She folded the note and placed it on the silver tray in the hall and then went into the library with Ariel. The HRD serving as butler greeted Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex and bade him enter. The butler offered to take his coat and, when all was settled, guided him into the drawing room. Natasi smiled pleasantly and approached Carnifex, offering her a light bow. "Your Highness,' she said upon looking up. "Welcome back to Herevan. Have you met my cousin, Ariel Yvarro?"

She beckoned to Ariel to approach.

"Can I offer you something to drink, Your Highness? I must admit that cocktails before dinner are rather new to Herevan — my late husband insisted, but I rather like the tradition."

Ariel Yvarro

The Emperor was a mature tree amongst saplings as he maneuvered through the wonderous halls of Herevan, his towering stature and grim countenance marking him out amidst anyone who stood beside him. He wore an ornate cassock embroidered with the golden symbols of the Sith, the hex charm displayed proudly on an independent tabard which hung down from the sash cinched around his waist. A stole was hung around his broad shoulders, reaching down past his waist, and likewise embroidered with Sith imagery. He also wore around his neck an amulet which was fashioned in the symbol of the hex charm which also adorned his vestments. He carried no weapon, such things were considered improper as a guest in another's home, and he had not need of such crude instruments.
Ushered into the drawing-room, the Emperor briefly marveled at the splendor of the Fortan abode before his attention was drawn to the lady whom he had come to see and dine with. The mask of the gracious guest slipped over the Emperor's face as one would pull on an article of clothing, and a warm smile spread across his lips.
"Lady Fortan, it is a pleasure to see you again in the flesh. I do not believe I have made your cousin's acquaintance," he said with a generous waist-level bow and flourish of his hands. He did recognize the name Yvarro, it was the maiden name of former Lord Admiral Fiolette Raaf, one of the Empire's most distinguished and retired military officers. He spoke again as he straightened himself out, "Drinks would be wonderful, my dear. It will give us an opportunity to ease into the evening, so that we may better reacquaint ourselves after all these years."

Ariel Yvarro

A

0IFjdrt.png

H E R E V A N

Ariel had risen to her feet, and stepped away from Natasi when she paused and turned just enough to see her cousin, "well, I suppose candor is something but then we've always been honest with each other. It's what separates the Fortans from the rest of the unsavory lot in the Galaxy, remember?" She asked with a slight smile and that innocent look in her eyes. "You said that to me, a little after my birthday when I ran into some trouble with those mean girls at the school." A private institution that Ariel had attended in Avalonia, during Natasi's time as the Grand Moff. She turned a little more now, "and, you can always be honest with me. We're family." The smile had grown just enough, "I'll head down to the drawing-room in a second, there's something I need to get first."
She motioned in the air as if she had forgotten something important, and off she went. She disappeared into the hall and wasn't seen until a bit later down in the drawing-room wearing the fleur-de-lis pattern ring that had been gifted to the Yvarros after Natasi's death. She also bore the fleur-de-lis patterned bracelet. Ariel had to look up to even gather a glimpse at the Emperor, she had heard he was tall - but by the Force they weren't kidding.
Ariel gave the customary Galidraani curtsey when she was introduced, "It is an honor to make your acquaintance, Your Highness." Natasi mentioned something about drinks. She supposed this wasn't going to be the time to ask for what was called a Sith Mind Trip on Denon, so the young woman would just go with whatever was on hand. Then again, if Natasi knew what exactly Ariel got up to she might just keel over, again. She would follow Natasi's lead and do her best to remember all the customs she had been taught.

85jfYbQ.png

Natasi crossed the room to the fireplace, where she pulled the intricately woven bellpull to the right of the mantle. In short order, the butler appeared in the doorway to take drink orders. Natasi requested a good old-fashioned G&T and, once the orders had been taken, the droid went off to prepare them and Natasi gestured towards the suite of sofas and armchairs around the fireplace. "Shall we sit?"

Natasi took a seat in one of the armchairs nearest the fire, enjoying the warming sensation as she settled in.

"It's good to have friends and family back at Herevan," Natasi declared, beaming at her cousin and their royal guest in turn. She was about to speak again when the door opened and the butler entered again with a tray of drinks, serving Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex first, then Ariel Yvarro, and finally Natasi herself. "Dinner will be served shortly, my lady," the butler murmured to Natasi, then he bowed and left the room.

"Chin-chin," Natasi said, lifting her drink in a salute to their royal guest. "Would it be uncouth for me to ask how goes the war, Your Highness?"

The Emperor took his seat and accepted his drink without much words, sipping tentatively at the liquid after saluting Natasi in return. It was a fair vintage, went down smooth without any difficulty. He sat his drink on the nearby table, maneuvering a coaster underneath it so that it did not leave minor water damage, and adjusted himself so that he was staring directly at Natasi Fortan. His eyes were piercing and seemed to transcend any barrier that one might erect to defend themselves against such a knowing gaze.
"War is war, my lady. Every death feeds the Great Dark, every act of violence fuels the Dark Side across the galaxy." He allowed himself to form a smile, a slight one where the edges of his lips faintly curled up and the barest glimpse of his teeth could be seen past his lips. As the war had begun, the Emperor had consulted with his closest allies to turn the horrors of war into their benefit. Utilizing their very detailed research and thorough research on the Netherworld of the Force, they had discovered how to harness the consciousnesses of the deceased after they had passed through into the Netherworld. The Emperor had tasked Darth Voracitos with the collection of these 'souls', and the Nether-Lord had grown even more corpulent as he siphoned the spirits of every Imperial, Sith, Jedi, and bystander who perished in the battles between the Sith Empire and the New Imperial Order into his own pocket realm within the Netherworld.
"The outcome is mired in mystery, of course, the future is ever-changing and difficult to discern. Not even my most talented Oracles can peer that far ahead with absolute certainty, though they try." He brought his glass to his lips to take another hearty drink, setting it back down once he was finished. "These 'New' Imperials focus too much on the material, they have no appreciation for the spiritual. Their scope is far too limited, their ambition too narrow. I commend them for their tenacity, but I do not respect them for their ignorance. Regardless of the outcome of this war, it will be the Sith who advance."

Ariel Yvarro

A

0IFjdrt.png

H E R E V A N

There wasn't much else to do but to follow Natasi lead, and so Ariel took her seat. She remembered all the etiquettes she'd been taught and played the part as she knew it. She looked between her cousin and the Emperor, Ariel had always known that the Emperor was an unwieldy sort so to see it up close and personal was something new. While he said little and only took his seat to have the drink that was served to him it was clear the power he held - radiated, even as a non-Force Sensitive.
He spoke of the Dark Side and then he spoke of the New Imperials. Ariel hadn't been around her parents to hear of their complaints, she only knew that the 'New Imperials' had a plight but one that was solved with the echoes of violence. Such echoes would return upon them, one day, but until then Ariel quietly sipped and maintained her etiquette. The mention of dinner brought a manner of some relief and so she maintained the silence.
Then again there was something of the knowledge for Ariel, the knowledge of her trip. The adventure that culminated in the resurrection of Natasi Fortan. Ensuring that it was Natasi and not Sieger who emerged from the doomed facility. It was she that resources were spent to bring her back, from Lady Kassandra, to Darth Avacyn and all those in between. The thin veil across Galidraan and the now particularly weak but mended spot near to where Natasi was brought back - surely it would be felt.
Ah. Yes. The Sith. Ariel was tied there - she had to admit that if it hadn't been for the help of the Sith. None of this would have happened from her first talk with Lady Valessia, to the help her own step-mother provided. All of this - courtesy of the Sith.

85jfYbQ.png

Natasi's newfound connection to the Force meant that what Ariel sensed instinctively about the Dark Lord of the Sith before her was almost a physical bombardment of her senses. She could imagine that there were few in the galaxy with as much raw power as Carnifex, the undisputed Lord of the Sith. The sensation made her uncomfortable, but it wasn't pain she experienced. It was more like sensory overload, like being confronted with too bright a light, or being seated too close to a high-powered speaker. The music was beautiful, but it was all-encompassing.

She sipped her cocktail and listened along thoughtfully. The stark difference in philosophies interested Natasi. For Carnifex, death fueled the Dark Side — it was like fuel to generate power he could draw from. For Natasi, death was a tragic consequence of a clash of ideologies, something she had meant to always minimize. But it was also a tool; propagandists made a solid use of the dead, civilians and soldiers alike, to energize a populace. The First Order especially had a gift for that kind of manipulation. It was why a more efficient military force like clones or droids, less costly in both life and money, would never be the mainstream. People had to feel the connection to the armed forces — that they were 'our boys and girls', neighbors, children, friends, relations — to invest fully in whatever effort the nation was undertaking.

"Your way of looking at things is... bizarrely optimistic, if you'll forgive me," Natasi said with an enigmatic smirk. "Bizarre because one doesn't think of the galaxy's most prolific Dark Lord of the Sith as looking on the sunny side of life." She set her drink down and shifted, leaning forward. "I don't know what to make of these New Imperials. They seem to hold themselves out as highly principled, but so often that principle is only lust for power."

She was about to say more when the door opened again and the butler entered, bowing at the neck. "Dinner is served, my lady."

Natasi beamed. "Thank you. Shall we go in?" Natasi stood, straightening her glove absent-mindedly. "I hope you've brought an appetite. The kitchen has prepared a true Galidraani event — all nine courses. It's been too long since we've had Herevan on parade, and an Imperial visit was just the excuse I needed." She led the way into the dining room which looked somewhat comical given that the dining table, which could easily seat twenty, was set for three. Massive, sparkling platinum candelabra marched down the table, with fresh flowers and fruit arrangements alternating. The best china was laid, and the best silver set out, each stamped with the Fortan monogram.

In a large party, Natasi would have sat at the center of the table, with the guest of honor to her right and Ariel to her left, but given how awkward that would make conversation, they would sit at the end of the table where they could look at each other and converse naturally, with Natasi at the head. They had reinforced the furniture to ensure no awkward moments seating a man of Carnifex's size. The service proceeded well, with the soup, a consomme of some extraction.

"Ariel was just telling me about a group of former First Imperials who had settled in the Sith Empire under the protection of Madelyn Lowe Madelyn Lowe , and who came under threat when the New Imperials attacked the system. I gather you were able to evacuate the First Imperials, but did you ever find out what happened to Governor Lowe?" Natasi asked, casting a glance at her cousin with an inquisitive look. "Or I suppose she's Grand Moff Lowe, now. I always knew she had the ambition. I would have liked to see her contribute her considerable talent towards the First Order, of course, but I suppose one must go where one feels one will have the most opportunity." She lifted her spoon to her lips and sipped the broth.

XXp3s5B.png
"Power is all that matters, dear Natasi."
The Emperor cast a side-long glance at the butler as he entered, announcing that their dinner had been prepared and was readily awaiting them. It was not a threatening glance by any measure, but it was often said that the steely cold gaze of the Dark Lord of the Sith possessed a paralyzing power. But as quickly as it fixated on the butler it just as quickly melted away as the Emperor turned his eyes back on Natasi, his only thoughts of the butler resembling those of one who had just noticed an ant scuttling across the dirt.
He rose with Natasi, his movements slower but no less fluid, and followed her into the adjacent chamber. Nothing was commented on about his appetite, the Emperor did not often eat though he was no stranger to prolonged meal courses with all the accoutrement of class and sophistication. It was an impressive spread, every minute detail agonizingly perfected by the kitchen staff so that there would be no incident with hostess or guest. The Emperor took his seat, no comment made about Natasi sitting at the head of the table, which was her right as hostess.
The soup which had been delivered by the staff was richly flavored and garnished with a splash of wine from a local vineyard, and the Emperor observed all of the mannerisms which came to dining with aristocracy. After a time, he dabbed at his mouth with the accompanying cloth.
"Following the Fall of Dosuun, many former First Order officers and soldiers sought refuge in the Sith Empire. I granted them asylum in part because of the refuge the First Order had extended to me after the One Sith fell apart. Tragically, while we were able to evacuate the majority of Prefsbelt's First Imperials, Madelyn Lowe Madelyn Lowe was taken captive protecting her people. We are in the process of exfiltrating Madame Lowe as soon as possible, she deserves more than to languish in some detention facility. I have always been impressed by her aptitude and resilience, there are greater heights for her to soar to yet."
Another sip of the broth and the Emperor continued on.
"You and I share a unique perspective, Natasi. We are some of the few in the galaxy who have tasted the bitter bite of death and returned. I am curious to know what your experiences were in death, what can you recollect? And how does it feel to walk among the land of the living?"

Ariel Yvarro

A

0IFjdrt.png

H E R E V A N

Ariel was here for set dressing, but she supposed it was better than being completely useless. The feeling however felt familiar one in which Ariel had followed her since childhood. The days spent listening to conversations she should not have and yet now she was at least a party to them. A non-Force Sensitive in a room where secrets of the dead were to be spilled. A mortal coil within seemed to be disgusted at the thought of termination. Yet she knew, from personal experience it needn't be so after all her own mother found a way to cheat death.
Ishana Pavanos escaped death's clutches with the help of her wife. It was Ariel's understanding now that death was only as permanent as one let it be, or maybe - it depended on who one knew. So the young mind began to wonder, and wonder it did - how could see perhaps cheat or escape death itself. Death was only a stopping point it seemed, so she was curious as to Natasi answers and suddenly felt more than privileged to be seated at the table.
She maintained her posture, her manners, and simply listened. Part of the Galidraani upbringing, only to speak when spoken to - never make an outburst and let people talk themselves away. It was a game, a game played nightly at dinner and during parties. Gossip, and advantages - or even disadvantages were given and taken away here. And as an aside, Ariel knew that sooner perhaps rather than later she would be meeting once again with the Emperor and his kind - to reestablish diplomatic contact with the Sith Empire formally.

85jfYbQ.png

H E R E V A N

Tag: Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex | Ariel Yvarro

Natasi felt her brows furrow with concern. Despite the changes, the onetime Grand Moff felt a kind of motherly concern for Madelyn Lowe Madelyn Lowe . They had worked together for some years, and Natasi had been preparing to place her in the Cabinet when the Ssi-Ruuk Imperium had reared its ugly head once more. Gratified as she was to know that Lowe had survived the onslaught, she had to admit internally her concern that the young woman had gotten tangled up with the Sith. Whatever her personal feelings about Carnifex, Darth Prazutis Darth Prazutis and some others — and admittedly Carnifex's iteration of the Sith Empire was in some ways more civilized than most others — she knew Sith to be untrustworthy, ambitious to a fault, and willing, if not eager, to betray allies for personal gain.

Perhaps Madelyn had the wherewithal to handle that kind of political upheaval. It wasn't what Natasi wanted for the young woman. There was danger here. Natasi lifted her napkin to her mouth and dabbed lightly, then smiled minutely.

Carnifex then turned the conversation to the obvious: her experiences in death. Natasi blanched, what little color was in her delicate features draining away, leaving her even more pale than usual. Her dark eyes seemed larger than ever, being the only spots of deep color as she turned them on Carnifex. "I didn't know that about you," she said quietly. "I — well, it was rather a shock to me, I must say. You see, in my religion, we do not ascribe to a belief in the afterlife. Realizing that my existence went on was almost instantaneous, but just how much... I couldn't tell you." She finished her soup and set her spoon down, once more dabbing her lips with her napkin before laying it across her lap.

"But eventually, the world began to take shape around me. I was in a kind of cave that began to change -- actually it took the shape of the drawing room here at Herevan," she said with a sheepish smirk. "Metaphor, I suppose, or whimsy. Funny when you think about it. Everything was made of this material the cave was made from. Rock or something. But more detailed every day. Sofas, tables, the piano, pictures and vases and things." Natasi paused. "I say day, but time didn't really pass that way. I had no conception of time passing in that sense within the Netherworld, and no idea of course of how much time was passing outside it."

She inclined her head thoughtfully. "It was not unpleasant," she finally said, as if rendering judgment. "There was some level of cognitive dissonance, you know, that I knew I was dead and yet here I was experiencing things and thinking and feeling. But it was not unpleasant. It gave me time to think. I wonder how long it would have gone on if not for..." She glanced at Ariel and then on an impulse reached over and wrapped a hand around Ariel's free wrist. "I really do owe everything to you, Ariel. You brought me back as much as if you had marched into the Netherworld yourself."

Natasi squeezed Ariel's wrist gently before releasing it. "Was your experience similar, Your Highness? I suppose I never thought to ask, but now I am curious."

DAc3GdD.png

XTN3HAb.png

XXp3s5B.png

The Sith Emperor listened with genuine interest, his upper body leaning forward to absorb her every word. Perhaps it was more common for Force-sensitives to make a miraculous return from the Netherworld of the Force, certainly more known within the galactic consciousness at the very least. But for a non-Force sensitive to do the same, remarkable as Natasi Fortan was as a person, was virtually unheard of. Of course, the Emperor knew better than to imagine that Natasi had done so of her own volition, though that made a compelling story to regurgitate to the masses. Even so, resources were not often wasted to bring back someone who could not touch the Force, but when one brought Natasi Fortan into the equation it was very easy to come to the understanding that it was far beyond mere waste or whimsy; it was fundamentally needed.
Natasi Fortan, perhaps more than any other non-Sith that the Emperor had encountered in his lifetime, was a fascinating and remarkable individual. She had long since garnered his respect, but that went far past grudging respect from one talented politician to another.
It was admiration.
And Kaine Zambrano did not lease out his admiration often.
"Yes, I see. Comparatively, your experience in the Netherworld of the Force was benign, my dear. I was not so fortunate." Those memories were permanently etched into the Emperor's mind, unshakable nightmares which served as a stark reminder as to why he had even begun to experiment with immortality in the first place. "It was over fifteen years ago, during the height of the Akala Crisis which rocked the galaxy. Back then I was known as Darth Vornskr, a fact that few are probably aware of. I had just captured the Jedi Grandmaster Kiskla Grayson during the Battle of Manaan, quite pleased at such a momentous victory in our war against the decadent Republic. I brought her to Panatha for interrogation, but she had escaped. I attempted to thwart her flight from my castle by challenging her to a duel, but that was a mistake."
He flexed the fingers of his right arm instinctively, "For years my body had been failing me, cellular degeneration of the highest order. The Dark Side of the Force is powerful, Natasi, but it exacts a heavy toll. My body could no longer support the power that I had accrued, and it was beginning to fall apart. If I had fought Kiskla Grayson several years before, she would have not been able to stop me. But in my weakened state, I was unable to stop her. She destroyed my body with the power of the Light, causing my cells to unravel exponentially. I died then and there, and Kiskla Grayson was free to escape."
What the Emperor omitted was that a portion of his body survived that day, and was preserved in a hermetically sealed sarcophagus in the depths of the Sith Citadel on Dromund Kaas. "At that instant, I was plunged into the darkness of the Netherworld, my consciousness destined to tormented for all time. It was quite a realization, to know that everything that I had done was to culminate in nothing more than eternal suffering. At first, I despaired at my fate. But then, I was given an opportunity. Through Akala's machinations, the veil between life and death was weak. Through sheer will, I clawed my way out of that accursed hell and broke through to the other side. I was still weak, nothing more than an incorporeal spirit for lack of a better description. I reached out to my followers, and they crafted me a new body to inhabit."
He waved his hand dismissively, "But the body was not adequate, it was hastily made. It began to fall apart even faster than my original body. I knew that I would have to make a second transition fast, so I set myself to work building a new body." He then gestured to himself, "The same body you see today, the finest craftsmanship."

Ariel Yvarro

A

0IFjdrt.png

H E R E V A N

Ariel concerned herself with dinner more so than the conversation, but she did pause just long enough to hear Natasi's story. It was intriguing to hear a non-Force sensitive's story regarding the afterlife. Something that for a while Ariel thought was only reserved for Force-sensitives. As it was, she always thought that when you died - everything went black. Then, seemingly, on impulse perhaps Natasi reached over to Ariel. The younger Galidraani smiled warmly toward her cousin, then Natasi withdrew her touch and focused on the Emperor.
The Emperor then regaled them both with his tale of death and the Netherworld. He spoke of followers and so Ariel wondered if there could be enough followers to ensure that Natasi would have a back-up. Should, of course, the worse befall her cousin. The way the Emperor spoke of his journey, captivated Ariel. Her mind danced with the visuals of his story and when he was done speaking Ariel came to a small realization.
The Emperor represented the strongest Sith Household in the Empire, and indeed perhaps the entire galaxy. Natasi Fortan, and perhaps by some manner of proxy or extension Ariel's family represented one of the stronger Imperial houses. Although, she was sure there would be some contention from other households, as it should be. Still, her gaze shifted from the Emperor to Natasi and back to the Emperor. This galaxy was constantly at war, and territorial borders constantly shifted - national alliances were made and broken, some faster than others.
Quietly, Ariel interjected politely she spoke, "it occurs to me that seated at this table are representatives of the strongest Sith household and the strongest Imperial household." She ensured to be confident in her speech. "Would it not behoove us to perhaps, come to an accord? Details of such elude me at present, however; if I recall our houses worked well together in the past. The galaxy's borders are constantly changing and there are a great many who cling to the colors of their borders."
She looked at Natasi with a soulful gaze and then shifted her attention to the Emperor - this time with a knowing look. "Yet, blood remains, House Zambrano remains ever powerful, capable, and able to create and make the changes necessary. House Fortan and perhaps by extension Yvarro, always manages a way to not just survive but to ensure that we're able to succeed wherever we are. We manage to land on our feet."
"Again, details of an accord elude me, but I am confident that an accord between the houses would benefit us both." It only then occurred to Ariel that she might've sounded like either of her parents.

85jfYbQ.png

H E R E V A N

Tag: Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex | Ariel Yvarro

Natasi tried with all her might not to let the feelings of revulsion and horror creep onto her features. It wasn't just that Carnifex's story was horrifying (although it was). The story made her worry deeply about potentially suffering the same fate. It was all she could do to stop herself from looking down at her own hands to check for signs of failure or decay. She frowned gravely, her eyes narrowing at her royal guest. Luckily, she managed to avoid looking as perturbed as she felt, though she did allow some concern to come to her face.

"That sounds like quite the odyssey," said Natasi frankly. She took a drink of her wine and set the glass down carefully. "I'm sorry that you had to experience that. It sounds like your new body -- rather, your current body -- is no worse for the wear. Let us hope that that continues." She smiled again, making a note to conduct some research about his experience. If her body was going to start failing, she wanted a plan in place sooner rather than later to ensure that her reign would be interrupted.

She was about to say more when Ariel interjected. Natasi's head swiveled to her cousin, gazing at the young woman. Her eyebrow raised quizzically. It was unorthodox to propose an 'accord' of any nature without having a suggestion for what the details of it were, but Natasi was resigning herself quickly to the idea that her cousin did not have an orthodox bone in her body. She wondered idly whether Ariel's mother had indeed been left on Herevan's doorstep in a basket as an infant, as Frejrik had occasionally joked in moments of high irritation with his rebellious sister.

"It's true that I feel a certain affinity for you personally, Your Highness," Natasi said with a friendly bob of her head, turning back to Carnifex. "I feel that we have worked together to our mutual benefit in the past, even when we have not seen eye to eye." Her mind flashed back to the question of slavery in the First Order, especially where the Pacanth Reach was concerned. Luckily, from what she understood, Panatha and its cloister of worlds were not under First Order control now, so that particular point of contention was only potential at this stage. "While the First Order is not in a position to interfere with galactic affairs and likely will not be for some time, I hope you feel that the Fortan family personally can be relied upon to offer what we can in aid of Sith Imperial interests."

She glanced sidelong at her cousin. What was she playing at, making noises about reform and making amends for the sins of the First Order's past, then prompting an alliance with the most visible and oppressive Sith Lord in the known universe? She said nothing; the only reaction was the twinging of a muscle in her cheek as she smiled pleasantly at Carnifex.
DAc3GdD.png

zOIcum2.png

H E R E V A N
"Most interesting," mused the Sith Emperor, "A mutual accord between our kin, rather than an alliance between our nations. Quite advantageous."
It came as no surprise that the daughter of the illustrious and esteemed Fiolette Raaf was so clever a political operator, someone who could see all of the advantages and disadvantages of any given situation and react accordingly. Her dislike and mistrust of the Sith had been a noted attribute of her character by the Emperor himself and those who informed him on the various individuals of importance across the galaxy, and those who would be most important to his goals. But if she could persuade herself to put aside those prejudices for the betterment of the First Order, then perhaps she was useful to the Dark Lord in some capacity.
"I agree, my dear Natasi. Though we might not have matched up in priorities, I have nonetheless possessed a great fondness for you and your abilities. I was disheartened by your demise, the galaxy had lost its brightest star. I knew that there would never again be someone like you, Natasi, nor could another fill the void you had left behind."
All of it was true, the Emperor was not lying. Natasi and he might never have fully been on the same level, but they both shared the same passion for their respective nations that drove them to do whatever could be done to keep them alive.
Now was a time of great uncertainty, and perhaps it was better to align with one another on a more personal level.
"What do you believe such an accord will entail?"

Ariel Yvarro

A

0IFjdrt.png

H E R E V A N

Ariel set her utensils down and looked between Carnifex and her cousin Natasi. She concealed the smile that lingered beneath her features, for it was a damn near Sith-like smile. "It starts with the nullification of any political allegiances, for political allegiances are often like opinions. Everyone has one and they're utterly pointless." She began, and then took a moment to pause to ensure she still had their attention. "In a galaxy that often works to see which nation can be the most democratic, the most authoritarian, it can be quite tiresome to see your castles put to ruin, again, and again, and again."
"In this accord, the House Zambrano and its extensions, and the House Fortan and its extensions comes to a simple agreement."
"Our houses support one another when and where it can. Nations can crumble, fortress may topple and empires will fall, but at the end of the day it is the personal accumulation of wealth, technology and power is what will see our houses through, is it not?" A rhetorical question, of course it would, for if living with Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf had proven anything to Ariel about Force Users it was that they had an advantage. Not that her mother hadn't done all she could to ensure her own security, for what it's worth even a loyaless hag like Fiolette managed to suck up to the power of the Force in more ways than one.
"We can formalize this in proper writing with lawyers, blood and such - although, I gather lawyers and blood are quite synonymous these days."

85jfYbQ.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom