Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Factory 101

Hello all!

Recently I have come to notice that some people, Mostly the newer folk who have never experienced what a Factory on a RP site is, Have some problems in doing Dev threads, making the Sub, or even making the Sub look pretty and understandable for the Judges. So I decided that I will be doing a 101 Sub forum to help those who need it, or use it as a reference point for those who need help in understanding the words and complications of making a Sub.

First off, Rules.
  1. I am doing this to help people. You can also chime in to help as well if I am not on or when I am not available, but this place here is to help those who need it. Please keep the Golden rule to heart
  2. Wheaton's law - just follow it.
  3. Have fun
Second, This here is just a general page where I will answer questions and to, "dumb it down" for those who need help. I do not mean that you are stupid, What I mean is to simplify it and to explain in greater detail for those who ask.

Three, This thread is used for individual questions. I will be doing other threads where I will take the entire sub for armor, droids and the like to break it down for those of you who need it. In return, You can practice on making a sub, be it real or fake, In that thread ONLY.

If you have a more personal question, or something that you do not want out in the open, My PM box is always active for you guys to ask.

Should I make the threads to do submissions, I will link them here so if you have questions, you can go there first, and then come to me if you find something not explained enough, or need a little bit more help.

Thanks guys, and have a great day.

Side note: I might do one for the Codex if this turns out well.

Factory 101 Listings.
Technology Creation 101

How to successfully turn your Factory Sub into eye candy:
  • Step One: Make all stuff like "Intent", "Material", and other category classifications bolded and colored.
  • Step Two: Make all text a different font, like this one.
  • Step Three: Add your submission's title to the top of the submission. Big and bold.
  • Step Five: Add a company logo for kicks or branding.
  • Step Six: Spellcheck. Use it.
  • Step Seven: Realize there isn't a Step Four. Enjoy.

Like, it continues to astound me that there are people out there who essentially pray to the factory like it's their god and make constant use of it, day in and day out, but simply refuse to put any effort into formatting their posts and making them look nice. These people need to get it together. Why doesn't anyone buy your nonsense? Because no one can read it.

sabrina

Darth Janus said:
Like, it continues to astound me that there are people out there who essentially pray to the factory like it's their god and make constant use of it, day in and day out, but simply refuse to put any effort into formatting their posts and making them look nice. These people need to get it together. Why doesn't anyone buy your nonsense? Because no one can read it.

Sorry :(

just kidding I am not really

sabrina

[member="Nickolas Imura"] okay space station sub threads, can they be done as part dominion thread. Also can they be split up, into a few little threads.

[member="sabrina"], Dev threads can be done anywhere (Except for non-Canon or Fandom threads). Mentioning the space station as a place can *kind of* count as a thread simple because you mention the place, or even use the place in the thread. Now by mention, I mean that you talk about the place and the operations that will likely* be done to the station. But if you are trying to look for an easy way out of making the station, don't. Just mentioning it in a handful of threads wont get it there.

What I would do, considering the possible size of the station is something like this.
  1. Mention the creation of the station in a few smaller open threads where it does not really pertain to the story, but more so act as a "Reason" on why you are working for something.
  2. Mention it in other threads. Like have a meeting with people at the facility or a gathering of some sort. Nothing that mentions everything it is capable of, but enough to get the idea that it is built for "said reason"
  3. Have a thread where you actually plan the creation of the space station. Like you and a few of your buddies getting together to talk about different applications that you would want to put on the station. Talk about weaknesses, strengths, additives, What will you do on this place? that sort of thing.
Now in the actual submission you can mention the actual creation and why things were place here or there.

The reason I am giving you this list is because I have seen larger ships done this way. Simply put, Planning threads and mention threads that span in numbers, shows that you are devoted to your station, place or item with out actually having a thread on building it. However remember, Most buildings on earth can take a good few months to build. A space station may take as long, or even longer to build. Keep that in mind.

I hope that this help you on your work.

Having a running theme helps a lot. Play to the setting. Name things appropriately and keep things internally consistent. Almost all of CEC's capital ships, for example, are named after famous Corellians, important Protectorate figures, or romanticized Corellian traits. Its vehicles tend to take their names from the Old Corellian language.

Creating a theme, a brand if you will, helps so much in the long haul. Don't sub things on a whim and alone. Have a vision with it all, figure out where each thing ties in and make it all connected.

It should look, feel, act, and sound like Star Wars because that's what this board is. Don't make a ship and call it the Schnitzel-class, unless it's shaped like a schnitzel.

Darth Arcis said:
How to successfully turn your Factory Sub into eye candy:
  • Step One: Make all stuff like "Intent", "Material", and other category classifications bolded and colored.
  • Step Two: Make all text a different font, like this one.
  • Step Three: Add your submission's title to the top of the submission. Big and bold.
  • Step Five: Add a company logo for kicks or branding.
  • Step Six: Spellcheck. Use it.
  • Step Seven: Realize there isn't a Step Four. Enjoy.
This guy, this guy gets me.
*Hands him a cookie*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom