Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Eve Of Another War

Shan had learned from experience how hard it was to keep the barrier going if you lost concentration. The Padawan kept his eyes closed, focusing on keeping his barrier up. He had no clue what Katherine had actually managed to use Kahlil's runes to help with her barrier. He kept his focus on his own barrier, trying to make sure it would hold strong. It still felt strange to him, to use the barrier on himself. His instincts were always to protect someone else, and not himself. He could rely on other people to protect him, or at least that's what he always believed in. Katherine, Kahlil, Valery. Those were just a few of the people he had faith in to protect him if they were in a fight.

"We're rarely ever alone. We can always try to rely on others to have our backs. A team of Jedi working together are always stronger than an individual."

Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble Katherine Holt Katherine Holt

Katherine focused on the Force for a bit longer, keeping the barrier held around herself. But the bubble around her eventually popped, its spherical shape unfurling as it dissolved around her. The last vestiges of it disappeared into the rune she had traced, which faded away moments later.

As much as the Padawan preferred being in the air while using the Force, she could only manage it for a limited amount of time. Though that timeframe was steadily increasing the more she trained. But ultimately, her body was never intended to have a pair of wings, to be able to fly. The experiments had never been finalised, leaving her at a disadvantage that she needed to overcome.

But it is important to ensure we have the strength and focus, should we face an opponent alone. Mandalorians are likely to isolate us, so they can pick us off individually.

Katherine wasn’t sure if Mandalorians still used their old tactics, but she had a strong suspicion they would.

Kahlil_Div2.png

That was quite the differing view points. And goods one, none the less. Kahlil nodded, still smiling just a little in his approval of their thoughts. It was important to talk about the differing views, especially since Katherine did bring up a good point.

"The only thing more dangerous than a Jedi is two. It's why the Jedi of old always sent out a Master and their Padawan. Both so they might learn from their master, and keep each other safe. So let me ask you both. If you're separated and alone, what should you do?"

Katherine Holt Katherine Holt | Shan Pavond Shan Pavond

"Well...First, I'd try to keep myself calm. Panic wouldn't serve me well in the field, especially if we're in hostile territory. I'd need to just calm myself down and start to focus on a plan. The situation would dictate what I need to do. If the mission is close, I may decide its best to carry on with it, especially if there's a time limit for it...otherwise, it might be best to retreat and try to get extra support. At least, at my current skill set. Perhaps in the future, I might be competent enough to do a mission by myself."

Shan took in a deep breath after he finished his little monologue, holding a hand to his chest. He had spoke longer than he had expected, but the Mirialan just turned his attention over towards Katherine, giving her a bright grin as he was ready to hear what his fellow Padawan would do instead.

The Padawan crossed her arms, thinking of the question their Master had posed to them. She stared down at the ground initially, just listening to what Shan had to say in response. Katherine thought about what she had learned about the Mandalorians, both from Kahlil’s own knowledge, and that she had gleaned from the Jedi Archives.

It would depend on the objective of course, and given the Enclave’s previous actions, it’ll likely involve protecting civilians.” Their recent actions on Rishi and Rodia made that all too apparent.

Katherine lifted her head up, looking between Kahlil and Shan.

As Shan said, I’d try to keep my mind focused, remember my training. Confronting a Mandalorian, even on their own, is not something to be taken lightly. They can be very resourceful and will find ways around our defences. But if it comes to it, I’ll put myself in the path of their crusade, if it means protecting the innocent. Of course, should the numbers become too much, or their focus shifts more to harming others, I’ll shift my attention to defend and keep the enemy at bay for as long as possible.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Wrong."

Kahlil looked between them both, his expression now one of focus and calm rather than the kind smile he'd been sporting. "Those are the correct answer, for Jedi Knights and Masters. But you are both Padawans. You will both do as Shan said; retreat. Find support. If you are cut off, run. Hide, survive. You are not to sacrifice yourself. That's my job. Understood?"

Shan Pavond Shan Pavond | Katherine Holt Katherine Holt

So Shan had been right when he suggested the idea of retreating. He hadn't actually expected that, but it was a nice result if he was being totally honest to himself. The point was for them to survive, they weren't meant to sacrifice themselves...Now that went against everything Shan believed if he was honest. But he also knew Kahlil had a point. If they were separated and against a greater threat, it would be best for them to retreat. Live to fight another day.

"Understood, loud and clear Master. We need time to try and grow. We won't get that if we're struck down before we even have a chance to grow."

An eyebrow was immediately raised in response to Kahlil’s word. Katherine’s expression shifted into a thoughtful look, attempting to not betray the storm of emotions that were going on internally.

On one hand, she understood that it was very easy for someone to bite off more than they could chew. To become overwhelmed, and pay a costly price for that mistake. But on the other…there was something about it that just didn’t sit well with the Padawan.

What if they were the only option? What if there was no support, were they meant to just abandon the objective? Abandon innocents?

Katherine’s eyes had shifted away, staring off towards a nearby wall. But eventually they fell upon Kahlil again. Despite her mostly neutral expression, Katherine knew she wouldn’t have fooled their Master.

He had a knack for reading her like a book.

Understood, Master.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Speak your minds, Padawans."

Kahlil glanced between them both, his expression still that of the serious nature. "I need you both to understand, but I do not expect you to blindly listen to what I say. So, speak your minds. I know for a fact you both at least are thinking about how opposite this sounds to what the Jedi are. Voice them now, your concerns, your frustrations."

"It's less...it goes against what I think a Jedi should do, and more it goes against everything I've done in life. I've always stood my ground, even if it means I'd get the beating of a life time..."

Shan rubbed the back of his neck, before glancing over towards Katherine for a moment. He wasn't sure what was going on in her head, but it appeared that she didn't necessarily agree with the decision to retreat either. Interesting. He wondered why she'd think like that but it wasn't important to ask about it. She'd probably tell Kahlil and Shan anyway.

"I've just always wanted to help. To protect. And a guardian doesn't run away. A shield doesn't retreat. I know it makes logical sense to retreat...but I've never been too logical."

The Mirialan gave a chuckle at that, trying to try and keep the somewhat serious mood a little bit upbeat. It might be a serious matter, but that didn't mean they couldn't have a few smiles.

Katherine Holt Katherine Holt Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Katherine didn’t speak initially, opting to leave the initiative to Shan to speak up first. She listened to what the Mirialan said, and found they both shared a dislike in the idea of retreating from a situation. However, in the case of her fellow Padawan, that attitude came from his life before joining the Order.

For her…she wasn’t a hundred percent sure where her disagreement came from. Just that there was something in her heart, buried deep within that almost baulked at the notion of retreating from a fight.

And it was conflicting with what she learned about being a Jedi, in defending the innocent.

Katherine knew eyes were likely all on her now, and she let out a breath before speaking.

I understand the logic of not blindly engaging in a fight where the odds are stacked against us. But I hesitate at the notion of retreating in the face of a situation I can do something in.” She looked directly at Kahlil. “What if I’m the only option? There’s no support, no backup. The enemy is there and if I leave, they will harm the civilians I’m meant to protect.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"You are both young. Still learning. That's what it means to be a Padawan. If you're only choice is to sacrifice yourself, then I've failed you. The Order has failed you. You are Padawans. Run, flee, find help. You should never be in a situation where you can't. That's what's important, so you can learn. Grow stronger." He glanced between the two of them before his expression softened some to a calmer smile.

"If you ever need help, ever, I will be there."

Shan frowned. Katherine had a very good point in her question as he linked his hands together, trying to figure out what his answer to it would be. There was obviously the answer he agreed with. Fighting to protect the Civilians all the time, but he knew that wasn't the smart answer. He sighed a little bit, glancing over towards Katherine.

"Master Kahlil has a point. As much as I don't want to agree with it. We still need to learn. As much as we both want to protect people, we can't protect anyone if we're dead, but we can if we're alive. Self-sacrifice should be the last thing on our minds...even though that's easier said than done. Especially for me."

The Mirialan gave a small chuckle at that, letting himself relax ever so slightly. There was a difference between fights he could do, and fights he shouldn't do. Honestly? He felt like he had done pretty well in the fights he had done. He managed to stay away from fights he thought he couldn't handle but he knew that wasn't going to last forever.

Katherine Holt Katherine Holt Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom