Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Dog Goes Woof

Immediately, there was confusion, and a little seed of defiance. "I was not a slave. I was being paid." No matter how hard the work got, at least he wasn't a slave. That's what...

... What Olivant had said.

R'Ruug got quiet.

"What did he do?"

"He... yelled. He said the Jedi would try to send me back once they found out I... could not learn." Despite being so tall, the hunch in his shoulders collapsed his size. "I am... not smart."

The fact that it was easy to stay a Jedi didn't make the Whiphid feel much better. Maybe easy for normal people, easy for someone that didn't have to learn everything from scratch. "I... think I would do better at a j-job than a school..." A bit of shakiness in his voice betrayed his rising worry.

He was dumb. Everyone had always told him so.

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
R'Ruug had a stronger reaction to being called a slave than Tenn expected. He simply raised his hands passively, and said, "…Alright." The Whiphid seemed to brood on the subject for a moment, but they left it at that. He admitted Olivant got quite heated and tried to dissuade him from joining, and had apparently gotten it in R'Ruug's head that he was not intelligent. Jedi work was daunting to him.

"You can be smart." Tenn tried to reassure, "Look, I'm not exactly a genius either. But being a Jedi isn't just about how big your brain is. In fact…" He pointed to R'Ruug's chest, "It's a lot more about your heart." Shep approached the clearly distressed Whiphid, trying to comfort him with his presence. "You'll see. Once you spend some time around here."

"You can be smart."

It was a hard thing to believe.

R'Ruug frowned. Already, he was drowning in new locations and names and schedules, and he could hardly remember his dorm number, much less do well in lessons. He guessed at children's spelling games, didn't even know how dogs go...

The Whiphid glanced down at Shep, who had gotten closer. There was comfort, support in his heart. The farmer took a knee, let a hand rest on the charhound, not minding the heat of his pelt. He closed, his eyes, took in a deep breath, and let it out. And... He calmed, reminded of Barta's strength back on the farm.

Maybe this was what the dog go.

"My... heart," he finally said, reflecting. "I am better at heart, I think."

"Okay."
The tall Padawan stood. The worry wasn't gone from his eyes. But a new peace had been introduced, thanks to Tenn and Shep's combined efforts. "Is there anything else that I need? To be ready to be a Jedi?"

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
"Then I think you'll do alright," Tenn said with a smile. He placed his hands on his hips and looked around at the vast hall. What else did a Jedi need? The boy shrugged "I… dunno."

"Do yo have a lightsaber yet?"
A mischievous smirk grew across his lip. Not like Tenn could just go and grab R'Ruug one or something, but the prospect was exciting all the same.

Tenn's assurances were kind. Like Miss Noble's. Even if R'Ruug couldn't quite believe him yet... at least they felt nice.

"Do yo have a lightsaber yet?"

R'Ruug blinked, processing the word. "Do you mean like a laser-sword?" He'd seen Valery use one of those. The Whiphid sent the shorter padawan an excited smile. "No, I do not have one."

"Do we get laser-swords for being Jedi?"

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
"Yeah, that." Tenn confirmed, "Sure do!" He unhooked his lightsaber hilt from his belt and held it up for R'Ruug to see. He looked around the hall once and stepped out of view of the classroom, before igniting it. A yellow beam of plasma sprang forth, humming with energy, "Pretty cool, right?" Tenn moved it around slowly to accentuate.

"Usually you have to take a trip to a crystal world, like Ilum or whatever," The padawan explained, "It's a whole field trip thing. A little boring, to be honest, but the reward is pretty cool."

R'Ruug watched as Tenn ignited his blade. He didn't know they came in yellow! "Yes. Very cool," the Whiphid agreed. He almost clapped, he was so impressed, but managed to restrain himself. He didn't want to look any more dumb than he likely came across as.

"Okay, so I go to Ilum, which is a planet, and then I get a lightsaber, and then I am ready to be a Jedi?" R'Ruug nodded, with the confidence of a teenager that barely knew what he was talking about. "Okay... Which way do I go?"

The sooner he could prove to himself, prove to Olivant's voice in his head, that he could stay, the better.

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn grinned. Among most Jedi, seeing a lightsaber was pretty standard. But he still thought it was really cool, and sharing that with R'Ruug gave him a bit of validation.

"Okay, so I go to Ilum, which is a planet, and then I get a lightsaber, and then I am ready to be a Jedi?"

"Um… I don't think they'll just let you go by yourself. But, yeah, basically."

"Okay... Which way do I go?"

Tenn looked up at the ceiling, as if doing so would show him Ilum's location through the sky and stars beyond. "You'd have to ask one of the masters. And I'm pretty sure it's gonna take a bit more than direction to reach another planet," He chuckled awkwardly, and shut off his lightsaber.

"Oh."

R'Ruug had already been preparing himself to memorize directions At least, to where they kept the ships. But he had to probably ask permission first, and not go alone. That made sense.

"I understand." R'Ruug nodded his big head, daring himself to smile a little. "I do not know how to pilot a ship either, so... It would have been hard to walk to Ilum." His smile widened. It was an attempt at a joke. Of course, he would have asked someone to pilot him.

Then, suddenly, R'Ruug's golden eyes alit with a sudden curiosity. He'd been meaning to ask this question.

"Is there anywhere with... animals? In the temple?"

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
"Yeah. A little bit," Tenn couldn't totally tell if it was in fact a joke, but he chuckled and ran with that assumption anyway, especially seeing the Whiphid's smile, "I think they take trips there pretty regularly for new students and younglings, so I don't think you'll have to wait long. Could always probably get a training saber in the meantime."

"Is there anywhere with... animals? In the temple?"

Tenn scratched his head, "Um… Not really? I mean there's not like a farm or anything. Sometimes animals get brought in to interact with, but, I don't think any stay here," Shep barked, and Tenn patted him behind the ear, "Except for a few pets obviously."

"Okay." As much as R'Ruug wanted to go to Ilum right now, he supposed it wasn't as easy as going to the shed to get the tools. He'd ask about it, but for now, a training lightsword would do.

The former farmer did seem much more crestfallen at the realization that the Jedi Temple didn't have farm. "None at all?" He could hardly believe it. Surely, Coruscant had some kind of animal. Where did the food come from? "Okay..."

It was obvious R'Ruug thought it was less than okay.

"Then, I should probably get that. The training saber. It will be nice to... hold something again." He flexed his grip, letting the sinews across his fourarm tense. Too much learning was hurting his brain.

He just wanted to do something physical.

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn shook his head, "Not really." It was clearly an alien experience to R'Ruug. The padawan could hardly blame him. Coruscant wasn't exactly like most planets, but Tenn had spent years here, and was quite accustomed to the concert jungle. But that didn't mean he liked it. The environment was too sterile. Too cold. Life was manufactured, rather than grown naturally. What little oases remained were welcome, but even they were ultimately a cultivated product, not true nature.

"Sure. I can show you if you want," Tenn gestured down the hall, which would lead to a sparring dojo. Just behind them, the class of Jedi had dismissed, and more people began spilling into the corridor, "We could practice outside if you want. There's a big old tree in the courtyard." Maybe that would be enough to win the Whiphid over? Or at least give him a taste of something familiar.

R'Ruug nodded, still a little saddened by the lack of farmyard animals in the Jedi Temple, but willing to accept a consolation lightsaber in it's stead.

The ending of a nearby class went entirely unnoticed by the Whiphid, even as a younger padawan walked towards where Tenn and R'Ruug were standing. R'Ruug had his back turned, and didn't entirely notice the fellow Jedi, even as she did the funny little dance of trying to decide whether or not he could shuffle past the Whiphid. Eventually deciding she couldn't, the human cleared her throat.

"I would like to see a tree... Oh." R'Ruug turned his head, then turned around completely. "Hello."

"Yes, hi..." She gestured past R'Ruug. The Whiphid frowned, turning that direction. "Do you need help?"

"Yeah, actually, I just need to... scooch past you, there."

It took a little too long for R'Ruug to figure out what she meant. With an embarrassed frown, he pressed himself against the side of the hallway, letting the other padawan slip past without another word. R'Ruug turned back to Tenn, feeling a bit embarrassed. "I would like to go somewhere... bigger, please."

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn tried to get R'Ruug's attention when he saw the girl trying to sneak past. It led to an awkward game of him trying to peek around at her but they kept missing each other. When finally the Whiphid noticed, the girl was given a chance to leave. Tenn gave her a bashful smile, and rubbed his neck.

"I would like to go somewhere... bigger, please."

"We can fix two problems at once then," He chuckled.

Leading R'Ruug through the halls, they found a spacious flat dojo, like Tenn had described. He brought his peer over to a counter not far from the door, where a rack of training lightsaber hilts were stored for easy use. He waited for R'Ruug to pick one, then would lead him to the courtyard.

R'Ruug followed behind Tenn, some of the wind taken from his sails. He perked up a little as they entered the dojo, and there on a rack, were a line of practice sabers. The tall farmer looked them over appraisingly, before picking up one that was a touch too small for his massive hands. But he weighed it in his grip, and seemed to like it, so he nodded to his fellow Padawan.

Finally, they were back outside. R'Ruug took a deep breath, as if to savor the scent, before immediately coughing. "The air outside is... weird," he commented, not entirely sure what was weird about it. Emerging from his coughing fit, the Whiphid saw a beautiful knobby tree, on the other side of the courtyard. A small smile found him.

"Oh! The tree!" R'Ruug widened his steps, speed-walking to the tall plant, past a few groups of excited younglings and meditative knights, until he stood before it. The feeling of it reminded him of Taanab. Just a little. "Very pretty."

He turned back to Tenn, holding the lightsaber in his hands with the sureity of someone who had worked with tools all his life. "So... what first?"

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn waited patiently for R'Ruug to select a saber, then led him out to the courtyard, where blue skies and an honest-to-goodness tree awaited them. R'Ruug's reaction was… less than expected. Tenn looked at him quizzically, unable to possibly imagine what was going on, "…You okay?" He asked. Maybe the poor Whiphid was allergic to something? Tenn had lived on Coruscant for most of his life. To him, this air was normal.

Shep followed R'Ruug to the tree, hopped beside it and laid down to rest and observe the two padawans. Tenn drew his lightsaber after R'Ruug had done the same. "First… I should set mine to practice mode," He adjusted one of the knobs on the hilt, and it was almost as if the intensity of the plasma blade dimmed. He gave it a simple flourish, then looked back at R'Ruug, "There should be an ignition button on the hilt. Turn it on and, give it a few swings. Feel it out."

"…You okay?"

R'Ruug recovered his breath, trying and failing to find the exact words for what just happened. So, he shrugged. "Heavy air."

Now underneath the boughs of the solitary tree, the Whiphid did feel much better. It may not have been the outside he was used to, but it was still outside, and something about that felt right. As instructed, the golden-haired boy looked down at the handle of his new tool, and found the ignition switch. Taking a moment get his claw on the button, he finally flicked it on.

A dull, subtle blue blade sprung from the hilt. It would have been a small saber, even for Tenn's height, but R'Ruug seemed to enjoy it regardless, holding it in one large hand. He gave it a test chop, muscles turned to iron from a life of hard work uncoiling and whipping the blade in a simple downward slash. Then, he did another one, the exact same kind of swing. Then, another. "Mmm..." he hummed, liking the feeling. He could have stood there all day, chopping his training saber into empty air, until his muscles burned with exertion. But instead, he looked to Tenn, the happiness plain on his face.

"Okay. Now what?"

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
Seeing the massive Whiphid one-hand a comparatively tiny lightsaber did elicit a good-natured chuckle from Tenn. Already, between that and the open air, R'Ruug was opening up and showing his bright side, "Guess you'll need a jumbo size lightsaber when you get your own." For now, this would work though, and R'Ruug seemed to have no concerns.

"Okay. Now what?"

"Now… We could practice some movements. Or we could spar," Tenn's face scrunched up in thought, "Ah, practice fight, that is." Just in case. Tenn flourished his yellow blade once more, doing a few, slightly more refined drills of his own, "You ever been in a fight?"

"Maybe." R'Ruug completed one more practice chop with the little blade. "I like it like this."

R'Ruug's eyes studied Tenn as the boy spoke, thinking heavily about the decision placed before him, and the question. "I hit a man with my crook yesterday." Beyond that, he hadn't seen any fighting whatsoever.

"We can spar." He had heard of that word before. Play-fighting, but for practice. He could do that. He attempted to copy whatever stance Tenn decided on for the beginning of the duel. He waited for Tenn to confirm, before stepping forward.

And chopping down quickly, in the exact same motion he'd been practicing. Then he did it again. And again. Each blow was quick, devastatingly strong, and bereft of any subtlety or nuance. As if he were making firewood, and not fighting in a duel with a laser sword.

- Tenn Kalos -

Tenn Kalos

T
Tenn shrugged, "Fair enough," Maybe not the most optimal for combat purposes, but then again R'Ruug already had a notable height advantage over most everyone else he could come across. It probably wasn't the sort of thing he was thinking about right now, nor did it really need to be. The Whiphid did admit to having been in a fight before. Or at least, having hit a guy one time, "That counts, I guess."

Tenn raised his lightsaber perpendicular to his head, in a traditional stance, which R'Ruug mirrored. The boy snorted, then stepped forward to make the first move. But R'Ruug's approach, though simple, took him by surprise. It was just the same movement he was doing before, now aimed directly at his opponent. Tenn raised his lightsaber to block, and was met with the weight of the Whiphid's strikes. He struggled to maintain posture, his lightsaber twisting further off-kilter with each impact. "G-geez!" Finally he found the right timing to roll away, and tried to get a quick strike at R'Ruug's flank or back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom