Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Demon Moon

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
Lilla realised quickly enough that there were three of them on her side, not two – but was unsure of either of her team-mate’s capabilities.

“Wear them down,” Lilla said. “One blow won’t kill them, or even two. But repeated damage will, as can a little Force induced trauma.”

With that, she raised a hand and one of the creatures was lifted from the ground and with a flick of her wrists, Lilla managed to hurl it against an adjacent tree. It got straight back up, but Lilla knew the internal damage – however small – would be cumulative.

“And open mouths can’t defend against anything of course.”

For the following few moments, she focussed on defending, as she got the measure of their plan of attack. It was, as she suspected, repetitive. They relied on flanking and a simple, frontal assault – aiming to get close enough to latch their powerful jaws onto a limb, and then shake their prey until they subdued it.

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
So that went about as far as Dax had thought. The Rogue wasn't quite keen on trying to slap these canine monstrosities with his saber all day though. The next Nighthunter leapt at Dax, and instead of his saber lancing towards the creature, the blade hissed back into the hilt as sparks and arcs of lightning zapped through to air, connecting with beast. The Nighthunter hung, suspended in the air, as its body convulsed, blue arcs of electricity coming off of him. With a small effort, Dax launched the creature away and into a tree, its hide smoking and singed.

"You didn't have a death wish when you took this job right? I can't imagine why anyone would volunteer to fight off a pack of Nighthunters...are you trying to impress someone?" the Rogue muttered, half to himself, half to the Jedi. Honestly, he was beginning to wonder if the woman was insane.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla was a little disconcerted by the use of Force Lightning. Or was it Electric Judgement? Either way, she’d have to delay having a conversation on the subject until the present danger had passed. Assuming they lived of course — which was her intention.

“No death wish and not out to impress anyone. The Code says a Jedi should continue to learn. Operating in a dark-sided nexus counted as development in my book. And these creatures are a first also.”

As she spoke, she fended off a couple of the critters. Oddly, her tone was conversational, as if chatting whilst participating in a friendly spar. That was because she had, for the moment, committed her safety to the Force and it now governed her actions as she batted away the advancing creatures — the mere act of defending causing blow after blow on the creature’s hides.

And then she saw her opportunity. One of the animals favoured its right foreleg before it leaped and she saw this pattern and capitalised. This time, its jump was met by a horizontally extended saber, whose blade disappeared down the creature’s throat.

On the plus side, she took one of them out. On the debit side, as she regained her defensive stance, another slashed at her leg, tearing a deep gash of multiple claw marks.

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
'Yup, this chick's insane' the Rogue thought to himself as another of the creatures leapt for Dax's throat. Catching the canine by the throat, Dax's saber ignited once more as he did one of the stupidest things in his ilfe, shoving his hand into the mouth of something trying to eat him. The orange blade sprouted from the side of the Nighthunter's head and the Rogue tossed the corpse aside, just as the sound of tearing fleh could be heard behind him.

Turning around he swept his saber at the creature that had scored his companion, "Can you stand?" he asked, offering one hand as the other attempted to fend off the number of creatures still standing.

When Dax hadn't been looking another, Nighthunter had leapt at the two Forcers, but luckily for them, Athena was there, and she too leapt at the creature, tackling it to the ground. A brief scuffle, ending with the Kuskuri sinking her teeth into the neck of the Nighthunter.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla endured the pain. She was no expert duellist – and still struggled to be the one with the impetus to end a fight. She could defend impressively, but that switch to taking the offensive was mentally difficult – and she also found she lost focus on her defence during those moments.

Like now.

“I’m OK,” she said, through gritted teeth. The robes could be replaced and her skin would heal through a combination of bacta and the Force. But only if she remained alive – which fretting over her injury would negatively impact.

“Let’s keep formation,” she added, aware they could get flanked if they focused too much on each other – and was delighted when the Kuskuri intervened to take out one of the creatures that had sneaked through their defences.

“I’ll make sure I stay alive and tire them, scoring hits where I can. Once weakened, it might well be easier for you to finish them off.”

And so she returned to her favoured Soresu Form and her blade became a whirr, whereas her demeanour was calm. She once again returned to the eye of the storm.

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Dax nodded silently as the woman got back up and returned to her zen-like state. The Jedi may have been the serene eye of the storm, but the Rogue was the storm itself, a tempest of fury.

As Lilla defended, Dax took these opportunities to unleash upon the creatures. A mixture of the Force and saber lashed out at the dark creatures. Gouts of fire and lightning singed their hides as the saber knocked each aside as they attempted to pounce upon them. Another fell to Dax's saber, the blade jutting out from its skull before being flung away once more.

"Do these things ever give up?" the Rogue asked as he battered another one away. Dax was beginning to lose track of how much time they'd spent in this fight.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Their team-work paid dividends. True to her word, Lilla was able to wear the creatures down, without giving them an opportunity to further injure her. And the weakened beasts were no match for Dax, who was able to take them out one by one.

“I doubt it,” Lilla responded, “But at least they’re out of reinforcements.” Only two remained now and these were tired with ragged breath — due to their extensive exertions.

“You’re down to your last two.”

@Lilla Syrin

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Dax nodded and and raised his hand, palm up as if cradling something. As his hand went higher so did one of the Malraas. Bright bolts of lightning shot from the Rogue's fingertips, the creature convulsing in pain as the electricity coursed through its body. A Force Pull brought the beast's neck to the Rogue's waiting hand who swiftly brought to the beast to the ground. All four legs sprawled in the air, attempting to claw at the man, unable to, the boot on its neck threatening to kill the Nighthunter should it struggle too much. The barking echoing in Dax's ears suddenly stopped as he jabbed his saber into the beast's hungry mouth.

Stepping off the corpse Dax wiped sweat from his brow before gesturing to the last Nighthunter, "All yours hun. I've had my fill."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla did not sense anything particularly malevolent about the Force user she was with, but by now she was sure he was – at least at times – tapping into the dark-side.

Given the clear and present danger, it was not something she was too focused on – staying alive took priority right now.

Until there was only one – and her companion indicated the final Nighthunter was hers to deal with. It felt odd – on one hand she was here to protect the villagers, and so the removal of the creature was not something that should be debated. But on the other, this approach felt cold-blooded and calculated – and most un-Jedi like.

But to allow the creature to live equated – in Lilla’s mind – to risking the loss of life to sentients, which was not an option at all. So, she pressed forward, speeding up her saber, until it became almost a blur – and impenetrable shield – but simultaneously a weapon, causing small amounts of damage to the creature’s hide, albeit cumulative.

It’s movement slowed and its reactions dimmed – to the point where Lilla could pick up the advantage, driving the creature back until blows began to cause more and more damage, and then one cut heavily into its neck. With pin-point precision, Lilla rained blows on that very spot until the Nighthunter slumped to the ground – life extinguished.

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Dax watched as the woman's saber became nothing more than a blur of light, surrounding her and battering the Nighthunter as she pushed forward. The screen of light was all Dax could see anymore, but he could hear the yelps and whines of the unfortunate canine. Deciding that the Jedi had everything under control, the Rogue flicked off his saber, the orange blade hissing shut, before he clipped it onto his belt.

Moments later, the last of the threats had been taken care of. "You're damn fast, I'll give you that." the Rogue Master lauded, "Wouldn't wanna meet you on a battlefield." He looked around at their handy work before shoving his hand into his pockets, "We should get your leg looked at. I've got a couple droids with a couple of medical protocols installed on my ship."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla relaxed once the final threat had been eliminated. On another day, and in a different place, she would have considered healing herself, through a meditative healing ability she’d learned. But this was Dxun and the want of the dark-side was sufficient to make her wary to use the Force to work any first aid on herself.

“Thanks,” she responded, “I’d appreciate that. And, whilst that happens, perhaps you could explain your…allegiance.” She seemed to search carefully for the word. “I don’t sense you’re necessarily a dark-sider, but that was Force Lightning you were using.”

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
"You want some help there?" Dax asked, offering a shoulder for her to lean on as they made they're way back to the ship. "And yes," he chuckled quietly, "that was Force Lightning." The man took a deep breath and sighed as he tried to sort out exactly how to explain what he was to the young woman. "I wouldn't say I'm a Dark-sider, no, but I can't say I'm for the Light either. I'm what you Jedi call Rogues." he began. "About eight years ago, I was also a member of the Order. But, things happened that led to me leaving, of my own accord. I told you earlier I was the Grand Marshall of the Judges in the Coalition remember? Well, that's the Outer Rim's version of Jedi...with fewer rules, and yes, a few dark-siders in our midst."

Dax was waiting to her the brief gasp of shock, or sudden outcry that lightsiders were working with darksiders and about corruption and the lot. He tended to get that quite a bit when he spoke to Jedi about the differences in the Core and the Rim. He didn't mind it anymore, he was used to it if anything.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled, although as the adrenaline wore off and the oppressive presence of the dark-side impacted her, it felt – and no doubt looked – more like a grimace.

“I won’t say no to a little support,” she said, as Dax offered his shoulder to lean on.

What he shared, she broadly suspected – and did not leap in with any strong opinion and definitely felt no need to condemn. They were different – that was all. And as long as those differences did not impact the weak, she could live with that.

“I figured as much,” she said, once he’d finished explaining. “I tend not to label more than I have to. There are light-siders and there are dark-siders. All that means to me, is where they draw the Force from. Those that use both – are neither or both, take your pick.” She attempted another smile but decided to focus on walking and speaking instead. Those two were enough for her to manage right now.

“Jedi to me are those that follow the Code. Not bits of it, but all of it. But it’s just a title. What matters is what people do. Defend the weak, or act selfishly? Those are the true measures of worth. But anger and hatred? They are not emotions I can condone – and given that’s where a dark-sider draws their power from, I cannot logically work alongside them in a structured way. Some groups of light-siders are more flexible – the Silvers for example – but my Order keeps strictly to the Code, and the light.”

“And I don’t see the Code as a set of rules – but rather a code of conduct for membership. Entirely optional – but mandatory to join the club. But the Republic Remnant does not limit allies to the Jedi Order – and so any well-meaning light-sider can join – and should.”

“Is that a typical response to your situation?”

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Dax allowed the younger woman to drape an arm over his shoulders as he put his arm around her waist to help her remain standing.

"Can't really say it is. Usually people run at or away from me. I'm can't really blame 'em either."

The rain had started up again since they had begun walking back to Dax's vessel, but it wasn't the cascading downpour like before. Now it was little more than a quiet pattering, the sounds the rain drops hitting the canopy of leaves.

"I wasn't always the 'well-meaning lightsider'," the Rogue began to recount, "I've been on both sides of the fence. Fighting for myself, full of nothing but hate, anger, and I've fought for others, with no other purpose than to see them happy and safe. But there was always something to fight for. Do you fight for something, someone? Or do you fight just because its what you're told to do. To battle the Dark."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

“Consider yourself lucky I’m in no fit state to run anywhere, let alone away from you,” Lilla chuckled.

“But seriously, people are either odd judges of character or they don’t understand the Jedi Code. Or both of course. You don’t seem a bad sort. I mean, we could never genuinely be allies — not based upon your predilection to the dark-side — but that does not make us enemies automatically.”

She sucked in a lungful of air — pain management without the aid if the light-side was challenge for her.

“I fight for democracy, sure. But I fight for the right to be a Jedi more. We serve, but my enemy is not the Sith. Not really. My enemy — the Jedi’s enemy — is power mistaken for justice. Our enemy is the desperation that justifies atrocity. Our enemy is the darkness itself: the strangling cloud of fear and despair and anguish that war brings with it.”

“Not my words, not entirely. But the sentiment? That’s as much mine s any Jedi that spoke those words.”

“Are we nearly there?”

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Why do you say that?” Dax asked, referring to the woman’s remark on their never being true allies, “I mean, the way I see it, if we both fight to help those who can’t help themselves, we could very well be allies, despite my affinity to the dark. Does it really matter that much that I’d make use of the tools given to me? Enough that it would trump the prinicples for which I fight, the same one’s you fight for?

Oddly enough, in his near decade and a half in his dealings with war and crime, the question of light allying itself with dark had never appeared. He’d made genuine allies, then friends of both Jedi and on rare occassion Sith. The use of the Force had never stopped it before. The man found it odd, that such a thing could put a halt to such things. He’d always valued the character, values and goals of his allies over their methods. Perhaps not everyone was like that though, he couldn’t fault anyone, let alone the young Jedi that now limped alongside him. Especially since he’d expierenced the kinds of horrors the dark could unleash first hand.

Yeah, we’re almost there.” Dax said, as he pushed aside a branch so the two could pass through easier. Within a minute or two the pair would arrive at the Dawn, and the medical attention to attend to the woman’s wounds.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded at Dax’s remarks. “You draw on the dark-side but do not follow the Sith Code – or the Jedi Code. Some will gladly ally with you – as I mention, the Silvers have no qualms about dark-siders being in their midst. And by dark-sider I am not apportioning good or bad behaviours or actions to that title, merely their means of drawing on the Force.”

“But – and for me it is a significant but – your source of power is from anger, rage, and other negative emotions. A Jedi is not led by these things and to allow it to be so, is a sure-fire path to the dark side.”

“To ally with a dark-sider – overtly? It is a recognition that either path is acceptable, and for a Jedi it is not. To formally ally? That is to condone the use of the dark side of the Force. Which I cannot do.”

“I would never judge you negatively for it – it is your decision. As I say, it is actions that require our intervention, not necessarily the tools you use. So, I applaud your actions but reserve the right to fall short of supporting the use of the dark side.”

“The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend. But that does not mean they are automatically my enemy either. Not by a long way. We have a common goal but a different approach. I would not expect you to judge me for mine, nor I yours.”

Lilla was always up for a debate, but right now she was growing weary – so the sight of the ship was a welcome relief. “I appreciate the use of your medical facilities,” she said, “And if I could trouble you for a glass of water too.”

And with that she fell unconscious as they began their ascent of the landing ramp.

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Dax nodded, understanding her point of view. He didn't necessarily agree, but he couldn't fault her for. Just as he was about to open his mouth to say it, the Jedi lost consciousness. Thankfully he had a good grip, so she didn't slip from his grip and into the dirt. Dax scooped her into his arms as her body went limp and carried her the rest of the way.

Dax walked aboard his ship and was immediately greeted by the three security droids he'd acquired...it must've been years ago during a raid on a warehouse. The Rogue carried her to one of the spare rooms and laid her down on the bed.

"Orders, commander?" the first of the droids asked.
"Just patch her up One. Nothing you guys can't handle I'm sure. Saya asleep?"
"Yes sir."

The three droids had come in handy more than once. When he'd first got his hands on the three droids, the Rogue had reprogrammed the droids and uploaded some extra programs, among them, a combat medicine program. While it wasn't a replacement for proper medical attention, the droids would at least be able to sew up her leg. They were capable of that much.

In Dax's own quarters a number of Force related artifacts were laid out in display atop his dresser. A Sith Holocron, in its own little container to nullify its dark radiating aura, the gleaming curved saber of another Sith, a couple ancient Jedi texts enclosed in their own container to protect the fragile pages from the elements. The Rogue placed the two sabers from his belt along side the other saber before going to check on the droids and his guest.

He'd watched them work for a couple minutes before leaving once more, going to another room. This room was different from the others. While the majority of the ship was only sparsely occupied by objects and artifacts, this room was full of children's toys. Dax wondered if he should decorate the walls too as he walked to the crib in the corner. The Rogue looked into the crib, a tiny pink skinned Zeltron quietly snoring bringing a smile to his face, his darling girl.

The droids would finish their work, the woman's leg stitched up and bandaged. Nothing terribly serious. "The Jedi is still unconscious," the second of the three droids would inform Dax, "We recommend that she refrain from serious physical exertion to avoid tearing the stitches and reopening the wound."

"Thanks Two. Keep en eye on her till she wakes up, come get me when she does."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla slept the sleep of the innocent – as romantics would say. In truth, she slept the sleep of someone heavily sedated.

Finally, she came around – feeling lightly nauseous. Sedation tended to do that to her, but she wasn’t sick and instead managed to lie still, calling on the Force the best she could to relax and calm her, and finally, to help with the healing process.

Finally she felt well enough to be seen to be conscious, so she slowly opened one eye and then the other. She saw a couple of droids, but one disappeared as soon as she looked at him.

“I’m guessing he’s zoomed off to find Dax?” she said to the other, not expecting or needing a response.

[member="Dax Fyre"]

The Reaper of Won Shasot
"Affirmative." Said one of the droids. Which one though would be hard to tell, neither of them gave any indication it was them that had been speaking. It took only a few minutes for Dax to appear in the doorway of the room without his jacket this time. "Glad you're ok." he said as he leaned against the doorframe, "Try not to do too much with your leg till its healed. You'll tear the stitching and reopen the wound if you do. Other than that, just keep and eye out for infections. You should be fine otherwise. You hungry? I can cook something up." the Rogue said hospitably just as his child cries broke through the air. He closed his eyes and groaned, "Sorry, I'll be right back."

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom