Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech The Crow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezra Nelson

E
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

elysium___krugers_right_wrist_device_by_benmauro-d6t58cw.jpg

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Powered by a Gabonna Memory Crystal, and using heuristic programming, the wireless-capable slicing computer 's fast processor and intuitive programming enable it to quickly overpower most common security systems, doors, locks, and even to take over targeted computers, broadcast media technology, and even vehicles provided these are not too well protected against slicing. The effect is only good within close proximity, but within range (50m) the Crow is usually able to give Ezra the access he needs when he wants it.
  • The Crow contains a full scramble key and NEEDLE remote slicing unit, in addition to a fully encrypted hyperwave comlink and HoloNet connection, giving Ezra an excellent way to contact allies and access information privately.
  • Lightweight, durable construction is tough and versatile, able to be worn comfortably on Ezra's wrist without hindering his other actions.

STRENGTHS
  • Hacker's Dream: The Crow is a super computer with a massive amount of processing power that can rival a Droid Brain. This device would be something most hackers would quite literally kill someone for.
  • Skeleton Key: This can hack into most electronic devices and allow the user of it to take control of them. This includes droids.

WEAKNESSES

• EMP/Ion weaponry can disrupt or temporarily disable the Crow, preventing it from performing normally and perhaps damaging it further.
  • Counter-slicing is an issue, as the Crow isn't really meant for high-security computers or super-tough military-grade security, and while it's great at quickly overcoming common security or taking over normal systems, droids, or vehicles, it really isn't up to a full-blown slicing attack on a heavily guarded target.
  • Damage: Any damage to the device would render it inoperable, requiring replacement.
  • Irrepairable: Damage to the device is impossible to repair.

DESCRIPTION

The device uses wireless transmissions in order to access a backdoor or easy pathway into the machines it slices into. From there, it is able to access and assume control of whatever machine that it is connected to. In addition to that capability, it is further able to act as an encrypted communication device allowing secretive communication with anyone who has access to the comm frequencies and encryption utilized by the Crow. Another useful feature of the Crow is that the Crow has been water-proofed, thus preventing someone from ruining it by simply splashing water on the object. As the device is new to the galaxy at large, most people would lack the means of combating it due to the different coding the device uses as compared to most objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ezra Nelson

Couple comments I'd like to make about this sub after reviewing it. First and foremost, Wi-Fi doesn't....exist in Star Wars, per say. For the purposes of this sub, if you want to use Wi-Fi straight up, I'll need a link to either a Wookieepedia article, or a link to a factory sub detailing Wi-Fi and its uses in the Star Wars Universe. Alternatively, simply list the device as having "Wireless Connection/Transmission" and you can achieve the same effect with fewer steps. If you need more help/clarification on the in-universe application of this tech, just let me know.

Otherwise, This is a solid little device, save for one small factor. A mass produced supercomputer that can fit in the palm of your hand that's capable of hacking anything and everything seems a little...overpowered to me. Also not to mention that Ezra is the only known manufacturer of this item. So, you have two avenues here, the first being to reduce the rating to Limited/Semi-Unique and leave the rest of the sub as is. The second option, I'll have to ask you to do part of anyways, but you can also tone down the abilities of this device, and add a corporate manufacturer that WOULD be able to mass-produce these.

Let me know what you decide on these two, and we'll see about moving it forward.

Ezra Nelson

Hi, I am Vis, and I am reviewing this submission with Kyyrk Kyyrk and there's just a couple of things I'd like to discuss.

First, thanks Ezra for being so cooperative, it means a lot to us lowly FJs when writers like you are patient and willing to work with us. Thank you.

Second, this is a cool little toy you have made. But let's take a look at your sub here to see if we can't get it up to what you envision for it.

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

First, you need to complete all of the line items, e.g. "Canon Links", "Permissions", and "Primary Sources"

"Canon Links" is if this is a piece of tech which already exists by this name and model. Since this doesn't, you can just put "N/A" here and it's good to go.
"Permissions" would mean you're using someone else's Chaos tech in your submission, and since you're not, you guessed it! "N/A" for this one too.
"Primary Sources" are the concepts, technologies, or ideas you're basing this off - IF they aren't just out of your own imagination. Wrist computers are a thing, so you might try listing THIS because any slicing tool is - in effect - a comlink, especially if it is wireless.
Another tech you might want to have here is a Slicing Unit. Slicing units are super cool, as they let you slice into and take control over technologies, which is very much what you're going for here. Finally, you talk about it being a 'skeleton key', and in SW canon, a Scramble Key is the closest thing to one, and an indispensable part of every slicer's kit. So, I would just link all of these here in this section.

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

Okay, first, Voph was slightly off when he said you needed to link to a company, etc. to make a mass-produced item. You can mass produce items as an individual, corporation, or faction, and Chaos doesn't put specific production limits on those things. However, whatever you choose to put in the "Manufacturer" section, you do have to hyperlink, even if it is just to your character's Chaos profile page, and he was right about that.

Everything else here looks good, although when you list materials, here's a good rule of thumb:

List the Wookieepedia article for each material you use (or, if it is a Chaos material, link that), so that means 'durasteel', 'leather', and any other raw material you use. You don't need to have 'wireless capability' in here, as it's not a material. The reason I ALWAYS recommend people do this is because different materials have different qualities and strengths and weaknesses, and when you look at a device like yours, it's nice to see what these are for it.

Pro-Tip? You mention 'circuitry' here, which is fine (It's in there, right?). But you should use Ultrachrome circuitry, because it's super conductive and really durable, and it's what a lot of us use when we make our stuff. Just a tip to help you really make a wrist computer than can take some punishment because, after all, this is Chaos and war is like a foregone conclusion here. LOL Also, just so you know: Durasteel is kinda heavy, and you're doing the whole space archer gig, so you might consider using Alusteel or Duraplast instead. They're lighter, can take a lot of punishment, and are pretty common materials that might help you to get where you're wanting this submission to go! Also, if I were you, I might toss in a Gabonna Memory Crystal in your materials, as this will give you the memory and processing power you talk about later in this write-up. This is also where you might list the scramble key again (go ahead, link it twice, it's fun!) and also I'd use a NEEDLE remote slicing unit to get that wireless remote ability you're looking for, so list that here too! Finally, you will need a hyperwave comlink. As comlink's go, this is pretty up there, with exceptional range, power, and near real-time connectivity, perfect for slicing and for communications with others.

SPECIAL FEATURES

You left this blank? "Special Features" is where you get to, in bullet points/list format, talk about what this can do. So you might write something like this there:

• Powered by a Gabonna Memory Crystal, and using heuristic programming, the wireless-capable slicing computer 's fast processor and intuitive programming enable it to quickly overpower most common security systems, doors, locks, and even to take over targeted computers, broadcast media technology, and even vehicles provided these are not too well protected against slicing. The effect is only good within close proximity, but within range (50m) the Crow is usually able to give Ezra the access he needs when he wants it.
  • The Crow contains a full scramble key and NEEDLE remote slicing unit, in addition to a fully encrypted hyperwave comlink and HoloNet connection, giving Ezra an excellent way to contact allies and access information privately.
  • Lightweight, durable construction is tough and versatile, able to be worn comfortably on Ezra's wrist without hindering his other actions.
STRENGTHS

See? Now that you have kind of listed those cool things it can do in your special features, this is super easy to complete. The strengths you have though are pretty terrific to be honest.

WEAKNESSES

Okay this is where you get a little hung up. First, "AI", how is that a weakness? You don't mention any A.I. in here, so it's not really relevant and you can probably take that one out. Next, taking it away is sort of inherently a weakness to anything, so it's not really a specific weakness for this device. Remember, what we look for here in Strengths and Weaknesses is how this can help you in RP, especially in combat, and how it can be blocked, broken, or defeated in RP and combat. It isn't "Organic Technology" because, well, you didn't use any in this so you should probably take that out too. Your real weaknesses are:

• EMP/Ion weaponry can disrupt or temporarily disable the Crow, preventing it from performing normally and perhaps damaging it further.
  • Counter-slicing is an issue, as the Crow isn't really meant for high-security computers or super-tough military-grade security, and while it's great at quickly overcoming common security or taking over normal systems, droids, or vehicles, it really isn't up to a full-blown slicing attack on a heavily guarded target.
DESCRIPTION

In this part, can you try to discuss a little more how it works? How will Ezra use it? When? Where? What can it do and what can it not do? That's what we're looking to see here, just a brief discussion of the Crow and its uses, and also talk about some of its limitations too. Pretend you are telling your friend about it and are trying to explain it to them. You don't have to be all sorts of technical, but just a good solid general description will really finish this sub off nicely and then we'll be happy to approve it for you and get you out there prowling the night armed with the coolest little slicing and comms rig in your corner of the galaxy!

Thanks so much! Please tag Voph and I when you're done and we'll go from there!

Ezra Nelson

E
Visanj T'shkali Visanj T'shkali When I was referring to AI In the sub, what I meant was that Artificial Intelligence or the like could outclass the device and be able to out perform it. This would allow them to essentially take control of the device if that makes sense.

Kyyrk Kyyrk I believe all the edits are done, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom