Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Creative Process & You

tumblr_nqsisvWQoL1tlxqmeo1_540.png
tumblr_nqsisvWQoL1tlxqmeo2_540.png
My Creative Process
In a Nutshell
Lol, but seriously. How do you guys tend to go about creating plots, developing ideas, and ect for all your stuff? Be it a plot, some fancy gadget you wanna make. Or even faction creation? I'm genuinely curious. I may go into a long lecture about my process if anyone is generally actually interested in how my brain works. But the image above describes me pretty well a majority of the time haha.

Have fun ^^

I just sit there and wait. Something comes eventually, usually at random times. I get these ideas and jot them down as best as I can. Sometimes I do crappy little drawings. I rarely have an exact method and I can't pump it out just like that. Right now, for example, I'm kind of hitting a bit of a period where I'm just lacking inspiration.

When that happens I'm just keeping on writing. There are lots of times where what I envisioned doesn't work out either. That's kind of why I just try to stick to big, core concepts. Too many details mean too many parts. More parts mean things are more prone to kark up.

I found it's quite frustrating when your perfect plan falls apart. That's why simpler is better. However, planning ahead with your fellow writers can really help out. Finding out what they want to do can be great for the story.

A lot of times bouncing my ideas off of them helps. They can help you come up with some critical points. They can also tell you when your idea is stupid and not feasible. In those times, don't be afraid to actually look at it critically because maybe it is.

Because your idea is dumb and it fails, doesn't mean that you're dumb and a failure. Ergo, be ready to change things a lot if it makes it work. Don't be afraid to look stupid because being afraid is counter to creativity. Also, write stuff down.

Because if your thoughts ramble like this post did, you might lose them.

Klesta

The King of Ergonomic Assessments
I knew many character ideas are overdone; I wanted to provide some fresh air. Oftentimes when I feel that no one active in the game did X, which was nevertheless important ICly, I would step in to do said X. That's how I came up with IGR (Star Tours was my attempt at doing space freight, now mostly smuggling-free).

I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to my creative process, I look for it in old books, moral stories, ideas or even quotes. I than play with it until I get something tangible, I usually pick three words for the story I'm trying to tell until I get something real and move on from there. My favourite place to find my muse is old plays, there's just something about them.

Usually my characters are created with a goal, and I go about setting rules, stories, and actions that eventually get my character to that goal. But there is never an end-goal, as I relish the thought of it taking an obstacle, a turn, or an impact that wildly changes the character.

Soooome might think that means the character is preset, but sometimes it is so wild it doesn't seem like it would work right. Like for some reason I had an idea of a Selkath ultimately wanting to take control of Mustafar and sell droids and lava. Why? Don't ask, I have crazy ideas. Neldar just seemed the most sane

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom