Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech The Cannibal Emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Coven of Gluttony
  • Affiliation: Coven of Gluttony
  • Model: Cannibal Emitter Mk1
  • Modularity: Can be modified to take on unassuming appearances so as to blend better into a specific environments

• Production: Limited
  • Material: Electronic Components, Flexsteel
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Classification: Ultrasonic Disruptor
  • Size: Very Small
  • Weight: Very Light
  • Ammunition Type: Power cell
  • Ammunition Capacity: One

• Reload Speed: None
  • Effective Range: Average
  • Rate of Fire: Very Low (Continuously discharges the ultrasonic frequency for up to 60 days)
  • Stopping Power: Variable, depends situationally on availability of food, water, and mental immunity's of some species/individuals versus others.
  • Recoil: None

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Utilizing an Ultrasonic Disruptor and Ultrasonic Scrambler, this emitter does not cause fear directly, but a psychologically induced hunger, and eventually psychosomatic starvation.
  • A weak Dark Side taint to this small disruptor does nothing, except to draw out the worst thoughts of the weak willed, made weary with their imagined hunger and starvation.
Strengths:
  • Hunger Unimaginable - This small Ultrasonic Disruptor/Scrambler hybrid causes a different psychological response than most other "Fear Emitters" of its type, in that this one has been altered to caused a very different response: hunger. Even if the victim has eaten and is full, still they will remain hungry. Once there is no available food to abate their fears of starving, they will begin to starve in their minds, and will begin considering eating things they never would have otherwise. If their will is strong and refrain from eating heinous things, over a span of nearly two months their real hunger will be amplified by their perceived starvation, until the possibility of psychosomatic death may occur, from an intensified fear response to death by starvation. This process of possible self-willed-death depends on a range of factors specific to the individual, and typically requires not only a weakened mind but a weakened body as well, suffering from actual starvation for at least a full week. It will also require a triggered fear response, to initiate the psychosomatic symptoms of dying (heart attack, cardiac arrest, coma, etc.) until loss of life. Smaller, and dumber creatures are more prone to these effects than larger, and intelligent ones, though can occur in both.
  • The Darkness Inside Us - Although the dark side taint of the device is very weak, and has little practical effect on its own, it has one benefit when coupled with the Ultrasonic Disruptor: bringing out the bad thoughts of the weak willed, and the weakened resolve of people around it. This can manifest in a number of ways, but in the advanced stages of psychosomatic starvation, it can push ordinarily good people to consider... heinous acts, to abate their unending hunger, up to and including both cannibalism, and rarely even auto-cannibalism (though it is rare). Additionally, although it isn't technically cannibalism, it drastically increases one's consideration of eating a member of a different species (sentience be damned), and may attract hungry stray animals in the area to become aggressive and hostile.
Weaknesses:
  • Unbiased - The "Cannibal Emitter" works on almost all living animals and people, friendly or foe. So if it cannot be located after the intended victims have either eaten each other, died, or moved away without it, and friendly forces move in, they too shall suffer.
  • Mental Resistances - Some species or individuals will be much less prone to the effects of the emitter due to natural resistances to mental manipulation.
  • Differing Rates of Starvation - For species with an incredibly low metabolism, it is possible the emitters power cell could die long before a creature begins to actually starve, so not all targets are viable, or at least, will require several replacement emitters over a period of time (opening them up to being caught in the act of sabotage) to maximally affect a creature like that.
  • Droids - Obviously, the emitter has no effect on the inanimate. However, if a droid is outfitted with audio sensors that extend into the ultrasonic range, there is a high possibility (if intelligent enough) the droid could piece together the issue and warn its organic compatriots of the signals existence, and eventually locate the source of the disturbance.
  • Force Sensitives - While it still continues to effect force sensitives, trained as Jedi, Sith, or anything else (including untrained), there is a higher likelihood that over time they may pick up on the faint and weak dark side taint, and locate the offending device.
  • Easily Destroyed - The device is a method of sabotage, and was designed for infiltration. As such, its durability is extremely lacking, and can be destroyed with ease through any mundane method (neutralizing its taint with it as well).
DESCRIPTION

The Coven of Gluttony is a cult not just in worship of the immense rotundity of their master, Voracitos, but is ultimately a cult of hunger, worshiping consumption above all else. So it comes as to no surprise, that when they develop a means to combat their foes, they do so in a themed manner most insidious.

The "Cannibal Emitter", as it has come to be called after immense testing, is a heinous method of interpersonal sabotage. With the malleability of Flexsteel, they are able to forge the device into virtually any mundane shape, decorating it down to the last detail to replace an item intended to be kept within reach of the intended target, or simply plant it in a place so mundane as to be unthought of as their victims walk about unaware of the evil in their camp.

The sickos of the Coven often enjoy watching a camp slowly but surely descend into chaos, as they allow their hungry instincts to take over their minds, and the taint push them into considering terrible acts of depravity. Even if the camp does not fall into permanent disrepair after either locating the device or moving on without out it by chance, it will still have served a purpose by indirectly causing their rations to "disappear" in the ravenous hunger of the camp induced by it, and will have caused general irritability and imagined/real fatigue (and maybe a stomach ache).

It is most effectively deployed when the victims are already hungry, and/or low on food reserves, as it does not take long for chaos to take hold...

Hello! Let's get right to it! Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Darth Voracitos said:
Manufacturer: Coven of Gluttony
Please include the faction affiliated with the coven of gluttony.

Darth Voracitos said:
until the possibility of psychosomatic death may occur, from an intensified fear response to death by starvation
Any device that would induce death to a character in such an indirect manner will not be allowed through The Factory. Please remove this part of the submission.

As I see it, this weapon's production value will need to be raised and I need more information on the range of this device, and is it only targeted towards humans like the device used as the primary source?

[member="Darth Voracitos"]

[member="Adron Malvern"] Sure I can do that, and did you intend to tell me to raise the production value (I expected to be asked to lower it, if anything)? I had it at minor because I wasn't sure if the dark side taint would be too much to mass produce, but I still wanted to be able to share the device with at least a few members outside my coven, since I'm virtually one of the only one that uses it.

I personally don't see any issue with the possibility of psychosomatic death, since it would be the players choice any way (the effects are all in their head, and extreme instances of psychosomatic symptoms are very real, debilitating, and can lead to death - though it is a rarity). I'm not sure why it being "indirect" should matter really, since the effect is vague, dependent on the victim, and isn't absolute in that it will cause death. It merely implies that it may be possible.

As for the target parameters, I was going for something more in line with this: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/131484-scarecrow-device/which effects both humanoids and small animals, but instead of fear (like the canon example used to inspire both submissions) its hunger. I could add in an additional weakness highlighting that some species may be immune to its effects due to mental immunity or another type of awareness of the ultrasonic sound, if it'd make you more comfortable? Additionally, I could add in both that submission, and the Ultrasonic Scrambler as a primary source so it's clear where the effects are derived from.

As for the range... does 50 meters sound reasonable? Smaller/larger? I don't really know what an acceptable range is here.

Thanks for your time!

Lower the production value to Limited please, sorry about that.

I will allow the psychosomatic death to remain within this submission, however be very careful how you word this device when using it.

For this submission I'd like you to include this field from the Range weapons template. I recommend you go with, "Average" as the range, and we will be able to go forward with that.
Effective Range: (Effective range in relation to the weapon type. Remember that a carbine will have a longer range than a pistol, an assault rifle longer range than a carbine, and a sniper rifle longer than an assault rifle. Choose from Point Blank, Personal, Average, Long Range, Battlefield, and Extreme. Battlefield and Extreme will require justification in strengths and weaknesses.)

[member="Darth Voracitos"]

[member="Adron Malvern"], added in the "Technical Specifications" portion of the ranged template, linked additional primary sources, added a specific amount of time the device is active for, changed to limited production (removed mention of TSE faction), added clearer prerequisites and a time table for when a psychosomatic death event might occur, added additional weaknesses of mental immunity's and differing rates of starvation for some species/individuals.

I think that should cover it, if I'm not mistaken! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom