Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Blazing Claw strikes again

"You, girl. Why are you here? And why do you keep such, unsavory, company." The Mandalorian seemed familiar. Something in his face and his voice. Regor wasn't going to concern himself with it until he knew more. He chose to switch the target of his questioning at different intervals so that it would be harder to figure out his rhythm. Not allow them to relax. He was fairly certain he wasn't going to kill them, but it was still up in the air.

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
Lilla had become aware that, of late, she was becoming less tolerant of ignorance. When she was no-one and had nothing, it did not bother her - but now it did. Perhaps because she was now, in her own eyes at least, someone. Not that it was vanity - but rather she represented something, and to dismiss her was to dismiss the Order.

But she remained calm and called the Force to her, to relax her and to maximise her senses.

"I am here to understand why the pirates were targeting Republic Remnant space. I followed them here. And I am unsure of your second question, or rather not entirely sure what you mean - and I am therefore unable to reply. Which is as honest as I can be."

In Lilla's experience, it wasn't always the honesty of the response that got in the way of the truth, but the quality of the question.

[member="Regor Kalanic"]

Lilla Syrin

"No," Lilla responded, continuing to tell the truth - it was, essentially, the only way she knew how to behave.

"No on two fronts. No, they are not supposed pirates - they are actual ones. And no, I do not believe they hail from this place, but they had business here. I believed that if I could understand that, I could come one step closer to dealing with their menace to Republic Remnant space."

[member="Regor Kalanic"]

This one had fire, he liked that.

"My dear, I'm almost hurt. What business could pirates possibly have in such a place as this? We try very hard to stay out of galactic business. As I understand it, crime is lower here than in your beloved Coruscant." What he didn't mention was that crimes were mostly never reported. The ones that were apprehended were so dangerous that they simply had to be removed from the general public. He was choosing to let the Mandalorian sit and stew, completely ignored. Regor saw understanding and cleverness in his eyes, those were things he could use to his advantage. The near suicidal defiance, however, was less usable.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. There was often a causal link between low crime rates and less enlightened regimes. Galactic empires controlled by dictators had, historically, little lawbreaking.

“I have no understanding of why they were here – only that they were heading to this place. And I am confident that their presence would not be an indicator of the levels of crime in your system. And I am not suggesting for one moment you would tolerate their presence – I merely followed them.”

Lilla was not going to volunteer her opinions. The man had asked for truths and that demanded facts, not her judgement.

“I simply wish to ascertain why they were targeting Republic Remnant space – and put an end to their reign of terror.”

[member="Regor Kalanic"]

As she was speaking he seemed to almost stalk towards her, his bulk practically gliding across the floor. She could weave words, this one. He almost loomed over her. He hunched over so that their faces were mere inches apart. The Sociph people are almost completely carnivorous, their ability to process non meat food items was relatively late in their evolution. As a result many still have problems in their digestive systems. Regor, though he'd never admit to being anything less than perfect, was one of those individuals. In fact, prior to meetings with outsiders he would eat a large amount of meat. The creatures on Antisoch have a very dense musculature and have thick blood. It was his intention to get pieces of his food stuck in his teeth and have the thicker blood stain them. His people also have slightly longer canines than your average human. Such a look gave him a predatory appearance, something he used to intimidate. He didn't think either of his guests would fall for his tact, but he hadn't expected outsiders with backbones.

He gave her a toothy grin and inhaled as if to speak before immediately standing upright and focusing his attention on the male.

"Back to you. What are you doing here? And why do you keep company that makes you look like a savage." The Mandalorian gave no expression to indicate it had bothered him in the slightest. He was having fun with these two.

The man's teeth had a red stain to them. Nicair had seen it among low level thugs trying to appear tougher than they were. He knew better than to say that.

"Call it curiosity. Your people interest me. I've met similar individuals throughout the galaxy but never an entire species." He gave his interrogator his own toothy smile, slightly longer canines showing through. Nicair had noticed his teeth before, every human was made differently based on genetics and environment. That's what he told himself. The bulk across from him smiled even larger, it was a foolish little game the two were playing. Nicair couldn't help himself.

"Oh? And what kind of individuals are you referring to?" He chuckled as he spoke, he knew the answer. It was a test to see if Nicair would say it out loud.

"Ambitious, of course. Charming, smooth talkers, manipulative almost to a fault." He didn't finish the description of a psychopath. He was on a thin rope and he knew it.

"Almost you say. You know, it seems like you want to say something else but won't. I'd very much like to hear it and it would probably be in your best interest to say it." Nicair didn't speak and first. The man across from him made a motion with his hand, at his command the guards raised their rifles. "Say it."

"Psychopaths." The accused nodded, his smile never faltering.

"Take them to the holding cells." Neither of the two broke eye contact as the guards surrounded the newcomers.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla had faced down Sith Lords, rancors, night hunters and a variety of low-life scum in her time. None of those had ever intimidated her. The closest she came to the sensation was an elderly Jedi teacher whose wisdom and calm demeanour were so perfect to Lilla that she felt almost inferior by contrast. That was true intimidation in her eyes. Unintentional but effective. The awe she felt compelled her to become less anxious, more anchored in the here and now.

This man was different. He wanted to scare her. And her response was not to rail against that - because she was genuinely not intimidated. Instead she acted as if his theatrics were no more than that - which of course, they were. It was a risk. Some respected being stood up to, others became enraged.

Regardless, he switched his attention to her companion before losing his patience it seemed. They were destined for incarceration. This did not faze Lilla, it was likely they could find their way out. Only the 'when' was up for debate.

[member="Nicair Claden"]

The trip to the cells was short and rougher than needed. The male that had questioned them wasn't present in their trip. Nicair didn't want to guess what he was doing in the meantime. He had to admit he felt a little bad that he was the reason they were being taken into custody. The two were to be placed right next to each other in separate cells. The place had the high tech fields to prevent escape but it still had an almost archaic and sinister feel to it. Nicair had never been in Sith custody, but he assumed it would be similar to this. On the way to their cells they passed numerous guards and turret placements. Also a device on the walls he assumed to be some sort of siren. They were thrown into their confines without much regard to anything. They had confiscated their weapons, Nicair really didn't appreciate that.

"So.. any ideas?" For the next few hours he would have a permanent scowl.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla went with the flow. To resist now would be to alert their hosts that they were more of a threat than they currently expected. So, she allowed herself to be manhandled – it was nothing a little Force assisted healing couldn’t put right – and Lilla knew a meditative technique for that very task.

Lilla did not speak as they were led to the cells. In part because she was worried any conversation might alert their captors as to her abilities, and also because she used the time to focus entirely on their surroundings – using Force Sight to mentally map their route, as well as adjoining rooms and occupants. None of the walls were so thick she could not ‘sense’ through them.

Lilla waited as she was finally put into a cell, with a force field used to detain them. There were Force ways and means to override these – but for now she would bide her time and find out what her co-captive had to say on the matter.

Once alone, she spoke, “I have a few ideas. But first, given what you told our meet and greet party, I suspect you know more than you realise. Care to share the full story. Where you were, why you needed to leave, how you chose your escape route, anything and everything about the pirates. Even a small detail may be helpful.”

Lilla looked around her cell, considering the best way to escape, and if they should do so overtly or not. She was not unduly worried about their lack of weapons right now – Jedi were taught that ‘they’ were the weapon, not some tool they wielded.

[member="Nicair Claden"]

"I was on some backwater planet hunting big game. Nothing extravagant. There was enough traffic that I could get off if I needed. Tor'e and his crew dropped down. I recognized their insignia, figured there'd be a bounty somewhere I could take their heads. They didn't even have anyone guarding the ship once they landed, too confident. Waited for them to get out of orbit before I started slitting their throats. Tor'e knew something was happening, locked himself in the cockpit. Asked me something from inside. Asked if they had sent me. No, asked if I was one of them. I just assumed he was referring to who he had ripped off. Flew the ship to the nearest hole in the wall to get it refurbished. Nobody there would go near it once they realized the crew was dead. Refused to do any kind of business with me. Kept looking for places, found a couple of old captains that would talk. Told me if I had any sense I'd leave the ship, it's crew, and anything they were involved in behind. Naturally I couldn't. Need more?"

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla listened. There was definitely more to this the met the eye. Clearly the pirates were involved with the person that just interviewed them — but in what context? Were they working for the locals or ripping them off?

And where was the cargo that was removed from the crates?

And what was it that the space fraternity knew about that the rest didn’t?

Lilla wanted answers. It was of little benefit to know the pirates were dead if another band was going to replace them. Lilla needed to know what their motives were, and what the connection to the egotist they’d just met was.

“It’ll do for now,” she replied, allowing the information to sit and wait for either inspiration of further evidence. “And it’s my turn to share now. Not information, I have none — but I can suggest a few ways to escape these cells. But I need your help. Not in breaking out, but in helping me find out what the pirates were up to.”

As she was speaking, she placed a hand on the wall of her cell. It was directly in line with the control panel on the outside of the wall. “Mechu macture,” she said, as if that meant anything to the lay person. “Also known as ionize.”

Lilla called the Force to her and channelled it into her arm and through her hand. Purple sparks emanated from her fingers and then travelled into the wall.

“Simply put, this transformation of Force energy will overload the electronic systems governing the force field. Essentially it is a stream of ions.”

A few seconds later and the control panel fizzed, spluttered and then blinked off. Simultaneously, the force field dropped. “The trouble with high tech security, is people get lazy,” she said. “Instead of keeping eyes on us, they rely on what they believe to be fool-proof.”

She tapped the other keypad and the second force field dropped automatically. “Now, which way to go?”

[member="Nicair Claden"]

Regor prided himself on his ability to hide things. Hiding a needle tipped with poison in the palm of his hand, weapons in unusual and obscure places, or a video feed for instance. So, the female had abilities. He had heard stories of this order and their powers. He just had to see it for himself and the extent possible. Sitting relaxed with his hands interlocked with one finger tapping, he gazed at the screens. The lights from the video glinting on his face in the dark room. These two could be entertaining after all. Uncoiling his hands he put one finger on a button.

"This is Regor, the prisoners have escaped. Under no circumstances are you to kill them. Toy with them." He relaxed back into his original position, a smile on his face. He turned his head to a corner of the room. A figure stood there, mostly obscured by shadow.

"After them. Push them. You have my permission to kill anyone in your way. I want them alive, no accidents this time." The face in shadows gave a toothy smile. A familiar smile.

"Done."

"Right. Stay behind me, armor can take a shot better than flesh. I'll need you alive. Come on." To an extent it wasn't the best plan ever, he was retracing the steps taken that brought them to the cells. If they followed it exactly it would bring them back to the hanger, where all the guards were. He was fairly certain he had seen a side door or hallway during their trek, better to explore than go directly into the enemy unarmed. Nicair colored himself one of the better martial artists in the galaxy, but he wasn't stupid.

He led them around a corner, nobody there. Odd. They weren't able to get very far before he started to hear an extra set of footfalls coming from behind them. Just the one, and walking. Something wasn't right. Nicair turned to face their encroaching foe. The man walking towards them wasn't wearing much in the way of armor, nothing more than leather gauntlets, straps on his chest, and black pants with boots. He was lithe, his physique toned and strong. His walk had the grace and fluidity of a dancer or a gymnast. His upper body didn't even seem to move with each step. In each hand he carried knives of a gruesome design. His face was what Nicair noticed the most, there was something he didn't like about it.

Stepping in front of his companion he set himself into a stance, better to let him come to them.

[member="Lilla Syrin"] | [member="Jack-ei"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla followed her armoured stowaway. “I can take care of myself,” she countered – but allowed him to leave regardless. In truth, they were as likely to be attacked from behind as from a frontal assault.

“Down the corridors were plenty of rooms – most had at least a few people in. And you can bet your bottom credit the empty ones will be of no use to us. I just need to find out why Republic space was targeted. If, for no other reason than to stop it happening again. Maybe someone will talk – or perhaps we can slice communications. Something. Anything.”

As they walked, she used the Force to keep a wary eye not only on what they could see, but what they couldn’t. And unlike their journey to the cells, this time, the rooms were abandoned. “Something’s wrong,” Lilla said softly, “I sense–“

She stopped talking when she heard the footsteps.

Turning to face the newcomer, Lilla was slightly frustrated that the stowaway stood between her and their likely foe – given the knives he carried did not mark him as a chef, late for the lunch crowd. But his intervention did buy her time. Time to consider their next move.

[member="Nicair Claden"] [member="Jack-ei"]

The figure stopped and cocked his head to the side.

"What is it? What do you sense?" He didn't let his eyes leave the man standing about fifty meters ahead of them. Nicair kept his voice low. The man started to twirl the knives in his hands, he was getting antsy. Nicair was too.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

“Not much, certainly nothing as important as him,” she said, nodding her head towards their would be assailant.

“What I detected was a lack of people. It’s as if the area has been cleared — as if they were expecting us to escape, or at the very least, knew we escaped. But there has been no alarm — at least not an audible one.”

[member="Nicair Claden"]

There was perhaps a two second pause from her words and the figure sprinting at the pair. He was covering ground quickly. Nicair had to think fast. His mind immediately cleared and he entered an almost trance-like state. It was a trick he had picked up from the Matukai, he himself wasn't force sensitive but much of what they practiced had application for non-force users. Once his opponent had crossed the point in space that if Nicair began a push kick it would land at the exact moment that it was at maximum force, he began the movement. It was a simple start to combat, but one that had proved useful with attackers who prefer to rush.

This one had predicted Nicair's opening technique and did something he hadn't expected. For most that knew what was going to happen they would usually just sidestep if they had the time. The man planted his lead foot, pushed off from it, and jumped towards the wall. With his rear, now lead, leg he pushed off from the wall into a roundhouse arcing towards Nicair's neck. He was fast, faster than Nicair expected. He was only just able to get his arm coiled and up to block the strike. The blow hit with enough force to require Nicair to shift his position to keep from being knocked off balance. A breath after he was able to get himself reset a flurry of blows rained down on his midsection and neck. The blows to his abdomen and torso were aimed to strike at the sides of his armor, the neck strikes were to avoid hitting his helmet. Getting his forearms and legs involved in the blocking was paramount to see to it that the knives didn't get through his armor and guard.

He didn't have any time to concern himself with what his companion was doing, he had found a challenge.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Fighting in a confined space was a challenge.

Fighting two versus one was a challenge — even if you were the two. It took practice to coordinate attacks and not get in each other’s way.

Fighting in a confined space, two versus one? That was something you did not choose to do lightly.

But if there was one benefit of the situation, it was that the corridor meant the two men would be so wrapped up in each other, they would not notice a Jedi slinking away. So that’s precisely what LIlla did.

The locals clearly emptied the rooms s a precaution. But Lilla could use that to her advantage. So, as she slipped in through the first door she saw, she heard the sound of hand to hand combat behind her muffle as she re-closed the door.

Once in the room, she scanned it. It was a standard office arrangement — which meant terminals. So, Lilla pulled a piece of hardware out of a pocket and looked for somewhere to plug it in to. After a few moments of searching, she found a port and attached the device.

Then she stood back and allowed the software to do its thing.

[member="Nicair Claden"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom