Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Best Time for New Beginnings

81aff161afedf3854d4ca4074f679265c78acd14.gifv

Approaching the Jedi Temple
Outfit

Hollis watched out the view-port as her transport approached the temple. Though she kept her expression as impassive as she could, so as not to frighten her seat neighbor, she was positively giddy. This was indeed the start of something new. Very new. Hollis could hardly believe that she would soon be joining the ranks of the New Jedi Order.

It was a decision she had absolutely agonized over for months.

Though her parents had not opposed the idea of their daughter becoming a Jedi, they hadn't been encouraging, either. They'd put the weight square on Hollis' shoulders and insisted that she make a decision and live with it. Perhaps it was because they were used to her flighty ways, her constant flitting from one thing to another. One day she was determined to become a painter. The next she wanted to be a dancer. And the following week she'd given it all up to be a baker. It was true, Hollis had never stuck with anything. It wasn't that she was incapable of follow-through, but she just didn't want to miss out on anything. There was SO much out there in the galaxy. This, maybe this was the way to experience it all -- at least that's the conclusion she'd come to.

As the transport had set down on the landing pad, Hollis was out of her seat and collecting her luggage. She walked with a springy step down the ramp, her eyes open wide and a grin spread across her face. Then, she stood at the bottom of the ramp... and realized that she had no idea where she needed to go. "Ah," Hollis stepped aside to let the other passengers off. "Sorry! So sorry about that. Do you think you could--" she started to say, but all of the other passengers carried on like they had urgent business that needed attending. In all the excitement, she'd merely skimmed the invitation details. She shuffled along, searching her bag for her datapad.

Maybe she'd saved the message that explained it all or maybe someone would come along to collect her.

Or maybe she'd get lost.

(Help me Kyell Laysel)

Kyell Laysel

K

Tag: Hollis Orenn Hollis Orenn

It was a fairly normal day for Kyell, who sat just outside the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Much of it was still under reconstruction, but Jedi were already gathering there for classes, meditation or personal training. The latter is what brought him here today, but right now he was enjoying a small break in the outside air with his Mindharp. It was a new instrument he had gotten, and relied on his mind to connect with the instrument to create beautiful melodies.

He liked it because it helped his musical perception of the Force to come alive better — the melodies of what he felt around him in the world and through the living beings nearby freely manifested themselves as actual music. But the instrument also helped him refine his still relatively new telepathic skills, which he needed to communicate with people.

The melodies he played currently were calm and peaceful, a product of the Temple's aura that he subconsciously felt. But the arrival of a ship changed the rhythm and melodies, as if he was about to embark on a new adventure. This sudden shift caused his eyes to open, just in time to see a group of new arrivals moving to the Temple. Some were much younger than he was, others around the same age. What really caught his eye though, was a young woman dressed way too fancy for an NJO temple, and she seemed to be lost.

He looked around to see if anybody would help her but nobody stepped up, and so he sighed, got up to his feet and walked over. It wasn't that he didn't want to help her, on the contrary, but it was a bit difficult without being able to talk.

So when he approached, he did his best to offer a smile and a small wave of his hand, but it just looked a bit awkward because of his nervousness. There was the idea to try to telepathically talk to her and clear it up, but he never did without permission. So as quickly as he could with a harp in one hand, he reached for a datapad and slowly typed out his message before showing her the display.

Sorry, I can't talk, but you seem a little lost? Do you need help? After she read it and looked up, there was that awkward smile from him again, but it was sincere.

Hollis took a step towards the large temple that loomed up a head but paused. Then turned to look back at the ship, like maybe she'd forgotten something. She reached up and scratched her head, tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear and readjusted the bag on her shoulder. She really didn't know what she was doing, and it probably showed.

As she turned back around towards the temple, she spotted a young man approaching. He had a smile, which Hollis returned with an eager smile of her own. And she waved back.

"Hello there," she said, in a friendly tone.

But when there was no reply, she blinked a couple of times and canted her head to the side. Oh dear. Had she already done something wrong and offended him? After all, she was unaccustomed to the Jedi ways… was she supposed to greet him with a bow? Hollis continued to stand there and smile as the young man began to type on a datapad.

When the display was presented towards her, Hollis' eyes flickered back and forth between the boy's face and the screen. She read the message typed there and understood. "Ah," she said, her smile now a bit more confident. "Yes, yes, you're quite right. I am pretty lost. It's my first time here. My name's Hollis Orenn, it's nice to meet you…"

She'd intended to leave a pause for him to give her his name… but it was then that she noticed the instrument-thing in his other hand. "What's that?" Hollis asked, curiously.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

Oh man, the way she seemed confused by his silence brought back a lot of memories and a lot of embarrassment. He could feel his face burning bright until the second his message on the datapad cleared things up. There was a visible relaxation of his shoulders, followed by a sharp exhale — this was always the difficult part for him, and even after 21 years of it, he just couldn't get used to it. But things always turned out alright in the end, and especially a smile and gesture of understanding like the one she offered helped make him feel at ease.

The woman then confirmed his thoughts about her being a little lost and introduced herself, which quickly drew his gaze down to his datapad to type another message. But before he could finish it, she asked about the strange instrument, forcing a brief pause in his typing before he began to smile, albeit down at his datapad...

When he looked up again, he showed the display to her, Nice to meet you, Hollis. I'm Kyell and this instrument is called a Mindharp. You play it through a telepathic connection you form with it, which I use to practice telepathy. After he was certain she read the message and looked up at him again, he smiled, a little awkwardly, and pulled it back to type something else.

I know the way around here, I can show you where to go? As difficult as these social interactions were, his Master had encouraged him not to avoid them the way he did in the past. That, and helping her out on her first day was the right thing to do, and a lot more useful than just sitting around playing music.

Hollis saw her new acquaintance typing a response, and she felt a bit bad that she'd interrupted him. Though, he didn't seem upset. In fact, he seemed to be smiling. "Kyell," she read his name a loud and glanced up to him briefly, committing face and name to memory. Then she continued reading. Her dark eyes widened as she took in his explanation about the instrument.

Fascinating, she thought -- unaware that she might even be projecting it beyond her own mind.

And to his next message, she nodded eagerly. "Yes, please!" Hollis smiled. "I would really appreciate the help." She motioned for Kyell to lead the way. And her eyes flickered towards the instrument once more. "The Mindharp requires skill in telepathy, you say?" Hollis flushed the moment the words left her mouth. She hadn't meant to be rude – and she hoped Kyell didn't take it that way. Hollis silently chided herself, and offered him an apologetic look before continuing.

"I'd love to learn to play," she said, mentally adding it to the list of things to try while she was staying here at the temple. "Though, I don't know if I'd be any good at it." A bit of a sheepish grin formed on her face.

While she had experience in a great many hobbies, she hadn't committed enough time to excel at any of them. It felt frustrating when she picked up a new skill and found that it took quite a lot of practice to get better. Why couldn't things just come naturally?

"Is it difficult?"

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

Kyell nodded and gestured with his head to the Temple before he slowly began to walk in that direction. He was still smiling, especially because of her fascination with the instrument, but she also seemed really easy to talk to. Of course, his nervousness was still there, but he could hide it decently well and focus on the questions she asked, Mhm, it relies on it, which makes it so unique. The melodies it creates are quite beautiful, and it helps me practice.

The two then reached the doors, which he held open for her, and inside were the familiar grand halls of the Temple. Some parts were still under reconstruction, and certain sections were closed off for workers or more important Jedi than him, but he figured there were a few places he could show her.

Hollis then asked about the Mindharp again, so he stopped and typed something up, They can be, as each one is unique, but if you have some telepathic skill, you can learn how to play it. I can show you if you'd like but first... some tea and food maybe? he felt himself blushing a little for some reason, but still smiled and held up a hand to show the way to the mess hall up ahead.

Then he remembered something and quickly added another message, Would you mind if I tried to speak to you telepathically? It's okay if you don't want it, and then I won't, but... it's easier than typing. He smiled more sheepishly now, and continued the path through the Temple with her.

Hollis smiled and nodded her thanks as Kyell opened the doors for her. She passed by him and then paused as she entered the temple. It was obvious that the temple was under some construction, which only added to the intrigue. She couldn't say she was up-to-date in all the latest galactic news, she did know that the temple had suffered during an attack. It was quite a landmark, even to those that were not Jedi – and Hollis could hardly believe that she was being walked through the halls herself.

Her attention shifted when Kyell showed her the response to her questions.

And her expression brightened even more. Tea and food? Those were some of her most favorite things ever. She glanced up at Kyell and nodded, "yes, please! That'd really be lovely."

Then, she glanced back towards the display to read the next message that he'd added. "Oh?" She blinked, but then smiled again. "Please try," she said in response to his request to speak to her telepathically. She did imagine that having to stop and type was a bit tedious, and this would make it quite a lot easier for him. If it worked, that is. She'd never tried before, so she was curious,

For some reason, Hollis held her breath as she waited to see – or rather, hear – what telepathy was like.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

She seemed to like the idea of getting some tea and food, so she likely wasn't scheduled for anything here yet. That made things a lot easier — they could explore and talk at their own pace. Kyell turned and guided her through the long open hallway, as well as the main chamber down below until they finally reached a smaller hallway with various rooms lined up on each side.

There, he stopped when she agreed to his use of Telepathy, which immediately had him smiling and focus. For a moment, the young man's eyes closed and through the Force, he reached out to her presence. For Telepathy to work, he had to form a bridge between their minds, which was a potentially invasive process if the receiving end was unwilling to form such a connection. That didn't seem to be the case with Hollis, although he did wonder why she was holding her breath.

When the link was formed, however, another problem hit him very suddenly — what was he supposed to say?

He blinked and realized he was staring at her rather awkwardly for a few seconds, <T> "Hey," is all that entered her mind with a gentle but somewhat nervous tone, and he just wanted to bury his face in the sand somewhere. <T> "I mean uh, this is a lot easier..." he smiled sheepishly and quickly broke eye contact to hide his embarrassment.

Yep, it was better to just focus on getting into the mess hall.

<T> "I'll get us some tea. Is there anything specific you'd like to eat?"

Hollis watched as Kyell closed his eyes. Then, she felt a warmth spread across her – and it seemed to settle around her head. Her eyes shifted towards the ceiling for a moment, as if looking for signs of this aura of energy around her. But of course, there was nothing to see. She returned her gaze to Kyell, his eyes were open now and he was blinking at her. Hollis opened her mouth slightly, about to ask if it had worked.

Her smile grew as she heard his voice in her head.

There was so much nuance to a conversation, and it was missed from the messages he'd showed her – though it had gotten the point across. This, though, this was much better. His voice carried a bashful quality that only made her smile wider.

"Oh, thanks!" She said, nodding when he offered to get the tea. Was there anything specific she'd like to eat? Well, yes, there were a great many things she might have liked. And she opened her mouth before considering just how much she wanted. "I'd love an endorian chicken salad sandwich if they have it. And maybe a cup of soup – any kind, really, I'm not picky at all. And you can't have tea without some kind of sweet, am I right? So, maybe a pastry would be nice."

Hollis realized she was rambling and closed her mouth abruptly.

"Actually, I'd be fine with anything," she said, chuckling. "Shall I go find us a seat, then?"

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

The fact she smiled after he formed the telepathic connection helped him feel more at ease, especially because his choice of words and delivery had been lacking in confidence. But with them stepping into the mess hall to focus on something else, he quickly forgot about that little awkward exchange of his.

Instead, he was left blinking, as Hollis covered what kind of food she'd like — it was a bit of a list and somewhat specific, but Kyell thought it was quite amusing. He smirked a little and looked over his shoulder, <T> "Yeah, find us a seat and I'll see what I can do for you." After another brief smile, he made his way over and actually did his best to find what she asked for initially.

So when he returned, it was with quite a few plates he tried to carefully balance in his grasp, <T> "One chicken sandwich..." he muttered as the first plate came down, <T> "A bowl of Alderaanian tomato soup..." he continued as he very carefully placed it down, as to not spill any of the hot contents near her.

Finally, he was about to put down his plate and the salad, but his luck ran out. The bowl with the salad was knocked over in the process, knocking some of it her way. His eyes instantly widened and as quickly as he could, he scrambled to put the bowl upright again and save whatever he could, <T> "Oh man, I'm so sorry..."

Her clothing looked expensive, especially to him in his simple jacket and jeans, so he really hoped it would be okay.

Hollis nodded at Kyell as he glanced over his shoulder at her. She watched him go for a moment, and then turned her own attention to getting a table. She was drawn to a booth by the windows, where she could look out over the temple grounds while she waited.

Now that she was alone, she couldn't escape the thoughts... was this all going to work out? Did she make the right choice? Hollis felt the uncertainty start to well up, but she refused to let it take hold. So far, the temple seemed quite a tranquil place – even with the construction. And she'd already made a friend!

She greeted Kyell with a wide smile as he returned. He'd brought her food, evident from the many plates balanced in his arms. They'd only just met, but he'd already attained 'best friend for life' status with Hollis. Food was definitely the easiest and fastest way to her good side (not that she really had a bad side!). Hollis clasped her hands together and looked down at the chicken sandwich and bowl of soup placed down before her. "Thanks!" she chirped.

Her eyes widened as she caught side of the bowl of salad slipping, and her hands went up as if to catch it... but she was no where near catching it. A crouton and some lettuce tumbled off the table and onto her lap. Oops. Hollis glanced up and saw the apologetic expression, and she heard the words in her head. She waved the apology away.

"Don't worry, it's cool,"
she said, and started to wipe the bits of food off her dress. There was a smear of creamy dressing on the black fabric, but she held up a finger and then rummaged through her bag. A moment later, she had a damp wipe that had been treated with stain remover and cleaned herself up. "I carry these just in case... because I'm really clumsy." Hollis chuckled again. "I'd probably have spilled the soup."

"Thanks for all of this! Do I owe you?"
she asked. "Or, can I treat you next time?"

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

Thankfully, she didn't seem angered or frustrated by his clumsy display — she was even prepared and grabbed a wipe to clean up her dress. Kyell just watched, blinked, and finally smiled when everything was cleaned up and they were ready to eat, <T> "I suppose that makes two of us. I can be a little... challenged with carrying around things sometimes," he told her with a smirk before he lowered himself into a seat and reached for his own sandwich.

"Thanks for all of this! Do I owe you?" she asked. "Or, can I treat you next time?"

He paused a second before biting down on his sandwich and chuckled silently, <T> "Nah you don't owe me, I'm glad I'm able to help and lunch is a lot better in good company," he said with a smile, but internally he was surprised that he didn't stumble over his words and actually offered what he believed to be a decent compliment.

<T> "I won't say no to grabbing lunch again sometime, though." She was very easy to talk to for him, so he was going to make an effort to become friends if she felt similar. Perhaps they could train together as well, and if she was still interested in learning to play the instrument he had shown her, he could teach her a thing or two about it.

Kyell then took a moment to eat, and looked up after swallowing his bite, <T> "Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? And is this your first time at a Jedi Temple?"

Hollis offered a good-natured chuckle when Kyell mentioned that he could be clumsy, too. She was glad she wasn't the only one. Her general lack of coordination and athletic ability had hampered many of her pursuits: dancing, sports, martial arts. She picked up her sandwich and took a big bite as her new companion said he'd accept another lunch date as repayment for today. Hollis found herself blushing a little and lowered her head slightly to eat a bit of soup.

"Okay," she said. "Next time's definitely on me, then."

She was pretty hungry, but she managed some restraint. The tomato soup was tangy and delicious, so she kept eating it as Kyell asked her some questions. She swallowed and dabbed her mouth with a napkin before glancing up to respond. "Oh, I'm from Naboo," she said, smiling. She really did love her home and it would have been difficult to leave – if not for the excitement of new worlds and new experiences. "I grew up just outside Theed. And yes, this is my first time at a Jedi Temple."

Hollis let out a fond sigh as she glanced around once more.

"It really is nice here. I met a Jedi once before… when I was a child. He trained me a little bit at my home, but my parents didn't want me to leave for training then. I had to wait until I was finished with school… but now I'm here."

It'd been the eve of her twentieth birthday when she'd ultimately made the decision to join the Jedi.

"What about you? Have you been training long?"

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

Kyell seemed happy that she was interested in meeting for lunch again, and just watched her with a smile for a moment. The food here was something he had grown very used to over the years, so it wasn't anything too special anymore, but she really enjoyed it and that's what mattered most right now.

<T> "Naboo? I've heard it's beautiful, but never been there myself," he said, definitely a little jealous that she got to grow up there. He was born on Coruscant and spent most of his time here or on other Jedi Temples. They were quite interesting to see as well, but Naboo was something else entirely.

Hollis then went on to explain that she had been trained a little before, but that she ultimately had to wait before she was allowed to join the Jedi, <T> "It makes sense, becoming a Jedi is quite a commitment," he said before his smile grew a little more somber, <T> "I came with the Jedi when I was a child, so I've been in training for most of my life. In a few years at most, I should technically be ready for the role of Jedi Knight... but I don't know."

He put down his sandwich for a moment and let out a soft sigh, <T> "I feel like I've fallen behind a little. Training hasn't always been easy for me because I could never properly communicate with anybody. I learned Telepathy only recently, which is why I try to practice it so much with the mindharp." Speaking of which, he was still going to show her a thing or two on it as well.

Hollis smiled, even though she felt the tiniest pang of homesickness. This would be the longest she'd ever been away. "You should definitely visit Naboo if you get the chance," she said with a nod.

She took a bite of sandwich and covered her mouth with her hand for a moment as she chewed. Her eyes widened with interest as Kyell said he'd been training since he was a child. My, how different life would have been if that'd been the case for her as well. He was leaps and bounds ahead of her, and part of Hollis worried if she'd ever catch up. She had a feeling most beginners weren't as old as she was…

"Maybe we could train together sometime?" Hollis said. "I mean, if you don't mind helping out a total newbie like me." A small chuckle. Lifting her teacup next, she took a long sip – and glanced at Kyell over the top of her cup. He seemed easy to get along with, the flow of conversation definitely helped. She wondered about how difficult things had been for him before telepathy. But her attention returned to the idea of training.

"Perhaps you could enlighten me," she continued. "What exactly is it like training to be a Jedi? I guess I'd like to know what to expect." Her brows arched and she canted her head to the side.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

Not wanting to make a bad impression, Kyell made sure to have swallowed his bite before he looked up from the sandwich and smiled at Hollis when she asked him about training, <T> "Of course, I'd love to train together and don't worry about being new," he chuckled himself and put down his food for a moment. <T> "We all start somewhere, and Jedi should always help each other learn and grow." It felt a bit odd to him saying that, as it was mostly just echoing something the Masters had told him years ago.

But they were right — the Jedi were selfless, and always willing to help each other out.

His hand then shifted to the glass of water he had chosen for himself, but he didn't take a sip just yet, <T> "Jedi training is... very tough," he began with a more serious tone, <T> "It's meant to prepare you for what this Galaxy is like, but especially where we are being assigned to. You know, things like dealing with Sith, slavers in the underworld, or handling tense diplomatic situations. There's very little room for error, so the training prepares you for it," he said with quite a good understanding of just how dangerous it was to be a Jedi. His shirt was hiding his scars from it.

Kyell then took a sip from his water and continued, <T> "Don't worry though, you're not thrown into the deep end. It starts slow enough with basic training in a safe environment. But rather soon, you'll go out there to gain actual experience in the field. It's exciting but a bit scary too."

Hollis beamed across the table at Kyell when he agreed to train with her. Even though they'd met only a short time ago, she found the idea of familiarity comforting – especially faced with the many unknowns of becoming a Jedi. But her smile dimmed when he began to elaborate on the rather difficult aspects of training. Oh dear, she hadn't thought about having to actually… fight against a Sith.

"I see," she said, and set her spoon down gently. It was a lot to take in and a lot to think about. But Hollis did what she always did – and pushed everything else to the back of her mind. There was a sense of excitement, but there were also… nerves.

Kyell's encouraging words did make her feel better.

"That's a relief," she said, smiling again. It was good to know that she wouldn't be thrown to the wolves and expected to survive on her own, so to speak. She paused to finish off her sandwich and wiped her mouth with a napkin. "But at the same time, Like, I'm so ready to get started. I feel like I need to just… jump into it all."

Okay, she knew that probably wasn't the best idea.

"Can we get together to do some training soon?" she asked, blinking at Kyell and offering him an eager smile. "I'm supposed to attend an orientation later today." Hollis took a sip of tea and then eyed Kyell again over the top of her cup. "But I'm free tomorrow. At least, I think so."

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

He understood that his answer to her question was likely a bit much — a Jedi's life was dangerous, and thinking about becoming a part of it before training had even started could be nerve-racking, but he wanted to be honest with her about it. Luckily, his more encouraging words seemed to help though.

<T> "You'll be in the middle of it all before you realize it, but one step at a time," he told her with a friendly smile before he turned to his sandwich to finish it up as well. He then mirrored her, and reached for a napkin to clean up his hands and mouth, before he looked up as she asked about the training.

She really was excited to get started.

<T> "If your orientation is today, you'll have most of the week to familiarize yourself around the Temple. So I think you'll have tomorrow off. At the very least the morning..." he said with a nod. <T> "They'll give you a proper tour later, so you'll know where this is tomorrow, but why don't you meet me in training room 5C?"

He took a quick sip from his water to finish his glass, <T> "I usually train there alone in the morning, but it would be a lot better with a partner."

Hollis listened intently as Kyell's voice spoke into her mind. It was quite a neat skill, and she wondered if she'd be able to respond back to him in kind. "Gotcha. Training room 5C," she repeated, committing it to memory. "I'll be there!"

As she took a quick glance at the table, she saw her empty plate where the sandwich had been, and the small bowl of soup that had maybe one or two more sips left. Her hands almost reached for the bowl automatically, but she drew in a small breath inside and felt them relax. Try to be ladylike, Hollis thought to herself. The last thing she needed was to slip up and spill on herself or something.

Then, she turned her focus back to Kyell as he mentioned his morning trainings. She fixed him in a doe-eyed glance, curious to know if training solo was ever… lonely. It sounded like it might be lonely. Of course, he might have been saying that just to be nice. Hollis hoped it wasn't an intrusion, but he'd seemed happy to have her join him. Soon enough, she realized she was staring at him, and she blurted out, "I'm really glad I met you."

Hollis felt a blush begin to burn on her cheeks.

"You've been very kind," she added. It was the truth, after all. "I'd hate to take up any more of your time, but after lunch would you be able to show me the Mindharp?" She was just about done eating now and set her napkin down on the table. But she was fine with waiting for him to finish up if he needed.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

<T> "Great, I'll make sure it's ready for some training. We can do a few things or focus on something specific you find interesting," he said with a smile before he turned to his food so he could finish it up. His smile likely made it obvious that he was excited to train with someone else, even though she had no experience yet. For the vast majority of his life, he had felt fairly alone and secluded from the other Jedi.

Loneliness was the norm, and now that he was finally making some friends, he began to understand just how terrible it was.

After a moment, he looked back up at her and noticed that she was staring a little, which he figured was because of her own excitement about the training. But when she blurted out her happiness over meeting him, he felt himself blush a little as well, and smiled a bit awkwardly <T> "It's been my pleasure, really, and of course, I can show you."

He didn't feel like she was taking up his time at all — he was enjoying every minute himself. So after finishing up his plate, he gestured for her to follow him, and guided her to a more quiet place in the large hall where they could sit on a small bench. <T> "Alright, you can hold it like this..." he said while he gently offered it and tried helping her adjust to the way it was held.

<T> "Have you used Telepathy before?" He then asked before he leaned back again to give her some space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom