Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Best Time for New Beginnings

Hollis smiled, despite the flush of embarrassment still present on her face. However, she was thankful that Kyell was so easy to talk to or else she might be spending her night cringing at herself and replaying the conversation in her head.

Once they were ready, Hollis stacked her dishes to make them easier to collect and followed Kyell. She took a last glance over her shoulder at the mess hall – making a silent promise to return later that evening for dinner. She had a feeling she'd be spending a lot of time there – time that wasn't sleeping or training.

She had a seat on the bench and soon found the intricate Mindharp in her hands. And Kyell's hands on hers as he guided her fingers into place. Hollis often found with other instruments that her fingers just didn't want to cooperate or didn't quite stretch where they needed to reach strings or holes. She blinked and looked in wonder at the instrument. She'd been able to make a variety of notes before, but she didn't know that it qualified as music. The tranquil aura of the temple seemed to put her at ease though, or else it may have been the calm patience of her companion.

"Like this?" she asked, confirming her fingers were still in the right places. "I haven't tried using Telepathy before." Hollis wondered just what to do. "Is it just like, erm… thinking?" Thinking extra hard, maybe?

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

Tag: Hollis Orenn Hollis Orenn

<T> "Something like that," Kyell told her with a smile.

<T> "To play the instrument, you don't actually need your fingers, although you could. For now, just close your eyes and focus on something that feels calming to you," he said, and rather quickly he began to realize that he had never really talked this much before. He kept his telepathic messages fairly short, and they definitely weren't ever this instructional.

It felt good to be able to teach someone else something for once.

<T> "If your mind is calm, you can focus on specific things around you much easier. The Harp stands out among the inanimate objects that surround you - focus on it and let the way you feel flow into the instrument. To me, that's the beauty of this instrument," he continued with a warm smile.

<T> "I've always tried to communicate what I feel in the Force through music, and the harp lets me do it directly. A calming place such as the Temple or just having fellow Jedi around will generate beautiful harmonies, while stress or darker emotions can create a lot of dissonances in your music. There's no right or wrong in how you play it."

<T> "Just let it flow out."

Hollis held the Mindharp up to her eye-level to get a better look at the intricate design. Her smile grew. The metal was smooth under her fingertips, and it did seem to inspire something creative within. She glanced sidelong at Kyell as he gave her instructions, and she was intrigued to learn she didn't need to move her fingers like with other instruments. "Ah," she said. "I see. I'll give a go!"

She did as he said and closed her eyes.

Focus. What felt calming? Well, certainly being here in the temple seemed to be quite tranquil. But instead of tapping into that – she felt Kyell's aura, the connection of minds. He was calm; so, she found her calm, too. Letting herself slip deeper into this state, Hollis listened to Kyell's voice in her mind.

She focused on the metal of the Mindharp again, and she tried to… 'let it flow.'

At first, she didn't know precisely what that meant. But she didn't give up. Drawing a deep breath, Hollis then exhaled slowly. And with that breath came a note of music. Normally, she'd probably have jumped out of her seat from the excitement, but she knew that she'd break the delicate connection. Hollis relaxed her shoulders, and let the force speak to her.

Much to her surprise, the notes began to come together into something like a melody.

It was not terribly complex, but it was soothing. Hollis felt a sense of warmth within, like a glowing lamp. And when she felt the song was done, she opened her eyes and turned to Kyell. For a long moment, she was silent, eyes wide with wonder.

<T> "I did it, didn't I?"

Hollis didn't even realize she wasn't speaking out loud.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

While Hollis closed her eyes and focused on calming down her mind, Kyell remained completely quiet. There was no way for him to know what her source of calmness was, but he did know that anything he communicated telepathically or did could affect the music she was trying to create. He didn't want to disrupt that, so he waited and watched her closely.

This was her first time using Telepathy as well, which usually meant it was quite difficult to form mental bridges. Or, at least, it had been really challenging to him when he first tried it. Hollis, however, seemed to be way more of a natural and got him to smile brightly when he heard a first note break the silence between them.

Her body relaxed and slowly but surely, she began to string more notes together to form a simple, but very beautiful and calming melody. Kyell listened to it quietly, hoping that he wouldn't break her focus, and met her widened eyes with a big grin when she finally finished her song and looked up at him.

<T> "You sure did, and you're already communicating telepathically as well. That's quite... amazing," he chuckled. <T> "You're a natural at this."

Hollis's mouth dropped open in surprise – for more than one reason. She'd just played a Mindharp, spoken using telepathy, and been called a natural! There was a first time for everything. Kyell's grin was met with one of her own, and she beamed at him.

"Really?" she asked, glancing down at the Mindharp again. "I've never been a natural at anything before." There was a swell of pride within, but there was doubt, too. She couldn't have done that all by herself.

Then, she glanced at Kyell again. "You're a good teacher," Hollis said, she couldn't take all the credit. But she certainly meant what she said. She succeeded because he was there. Yes, that had to be it. Now, if only she could bring him to every one of her lessons, she might have a chance. Cradling the Mindharp gently in her hands, she held onto it for another moment before offering it back to Kyell. Indeed, it was a very special instrument – and she could feel the connection he had with it.

"Thanks for letting me play it,"
Hollis said. "I should probably go get settled…" she said, a bit of a frown on her lips. But she fixed him in a hopeful glance. "Before that, would you play something for me?" Hollis canted her head to the side, hoping to hear what his song would be like.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

<T> "Your connection was strong, and so was your focus," he complimented her with a warm smile, <T> "With training, you'll be an amazing Jedi." Likely far more skilled than he ever would be, but that wasn't something he felt weird about at all. In fact, he seemed rather excited — he had just been able to help her learn something, after all.

In response to her compliment, Kyell just smiled brighter and dipped his head, <T> "Thank you, and of course, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I don't get to share this with people very often," he admitted. Most people had some kind of love for music, but not many expressed themselves so directly through it or understood that when they listened to him play.

So when she made the request for him to play her something, he hesitated for a moment, but finally nodded, <T> "Alright, I'll do my best," he smiled and closed his eyes while he connected with the harp. There were many different things he could focus on as source for his music, but today, he decided to tap deeper into himself and truly play from the heart.

Melodies of singular notes and even entire chords formed, and slowly but surely, the song progressed and he wouldn't stop until it was finished.

Hollis smiled and fidgeted with the hem of her jacket when Kyell complimented her. She didn't really know how to take it. Did she herself think that she'd be an amazing Jedi? The thought hadn't even occurred to her. But she'd remember these encouraging words.

She folded her hands in her lap when Kyell agreed to play, and she fixed him in an expectant gaze. But not so intently that he'd feel uncomfortable. Just like he'd given her quiet and room to focus, she'd do the same for him. However, Hollis could feel the flow of the force between Kyell and the harp. It was quite something.

When the notes of the song found her, she closed her eyes to listen.

A smile formed on her face again as the song formed. It was somewhat melancholy, in a way, but also very serene. It reminded her of the space found in the quiet times, like reflecting late at night or early in the morning. When the song ended, the air around her almost felt empty somehow.

"My," she said, clasping her hands together. "That was wonderful. Really, it was."

She gave him a quiet round of applause, and grinned.

Kyell Laysel

Kyell Laysel

K

While he played, Kyell kept his eyes closed and was completely unaware of what happened in his surroundings — he listened only to the Force and the sound it made as he turned his focus inwards. It was only when the song finished and his eyes opened to meet Hollis' gaze, that he regained his normal senses again. At the sight of her grin, he began to smile and dipped his head in gratitude when she complimented the music he made.

<T> "Thank you, that means a lot," he said, his tone genuine and his smile bright. <T> "If you enjoy the instrument, I can always arrange one for you as well. They're fun to play and help you practice Telepathy." He then stood up and briefly looked down the hall, where a group of Jedi seemed to be gathering.

<T> "I think that's the group you should join. They will probably start with a tour and help you get settled in after," he said after he looked back at her. <T> "I'll meet you again tomorrow in the training room."

He flashed a grin and after she departed to join the other new students, Kyell returned to his own training for the day.

shot0012.jpg

There is no emotion, there is peace...

Kyell drew in a deep breath while he sat in the center of the training area, dressed in his training gear but without the jacket. He was focusing on his meditations, hoping to prepare his mind for a day of intense training. But it was difficult to focus with all his excitement — unlike his usual routines, today he actually had a training partner, a new Padawan he only just met.

Hollis was kind though, and he felt very comfortable around her, so he knew this was going to be a fun experience, even if they were likely going to be exhausted after their training session. So until she arrived, he would wait and do his best not to let the excitement get to him.

T R A I N
GADivider-Purple.png
Hollis-Temp.png

Tag: Kyell Laysel

The next morning, Hollis had woken up early, eager to start the day.

As she fixed herself a cup of tea, she did some reflecting. Only yesterday she’d arrived here on Coruscant, made a friend, and officially joined the Jedi. She’d had a tour of the temple with some other new arrivals, and then spent the rest of the afternoon and evening getting settled in what would be her new home. It was a simple dorm, but it was nice – it was the first space that was all her own.

It felt a bit odd to be ‘on her own.’ There was no warm breakfast waiting on the table or fresh brewed caf, no mother or father to converse with, either. But soon enough, she’d be meeting up with Kyell to do some training.

“Okay, it was…5C,” she said as she walked the halls of the temple.

Though she’d had the tour, she hadn’t retained quite as much of the layout as she’d hoped. She’d been too excited to truly take it all in. However, she’d managed to make her way back to the mess hall to have a quick bite. Only a few minutes late, she found the room where Kyell would be waiting. She entered with a smile to greet him.

“Good morning,” she said, brightly.

Dressed in some athletic wear and a sweater, she was ready to go. Should she stretch a little first? She looked to Kyell; she’d follow his lead. “What are we starting with?”

Kyell Laysel

K

<T> "Good morning."

Kyell got up from the center of the training arena and stretched his arms and legs a little. He had been able to warm up some, but he figured she'd need to go through training slowly with him, as it was one of the first times she'd ever do something like this. They'd have time for a warming up as they went.

<T> "I hope you're well-rested because training can get pretty demanding," he said with a slight smirk before he raised a hand and summoned something from the side of the arena. It looked like the hilt of a lightsaber, but his own was still clipped to his belt.

<T> "Take this, it's a training lightsaber. They're stuck in a low power setting so they can't harm anybody," he explained before he levitated it over to her. <T> "I helped you with Telepathy yesterday, maybe some lightsaber training today? It's just the basics of Shii-Cho, so nothing too complex." He began to grin a little and rubbed the sides of his arms before he took his own weapon into his hand.

<T> "But it is pretty fun. First, though, ignite the weapon and get a feel for it."

T R A I N
GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png
"I think I'm pretty rested!" she said, reaching her arms up to stretch a little bit. Really, Hollis was the sort that could sleep anywhere, so there had been a good night's sleep in her dorm. She watched in awe as something flew through the air to Kyell's waiting hand. Her eyes widened slightly when he proffered the lightsaber -- or rather, training saber -- to her. She gave him a bit of a nervous smile as she took it and held it with visible uncertainty.​
"Alright," she said, swallowing hard. "I'll try."
Hollis ignited the saber and watched as the green blade of energy sprang to life, which made her jump a little. The hum was soothing but at the same time, very intimidating. She was thankful that there was such a thing as a training saber because the possibility of injuring herself would have been quite high. She made sure there was some space between her and Kyell and gave the blade a few tentative waves, listening as the sound of the hum changed when it was in motion.​
"Wow," she said, glancing to Kyell. "This is pretty cool."
She smiled, though she still held the saber hilt like it might bite her. Hollis offered a small nod to signal she was ready.​

Kyell Laysel

K

"Wow," she said, glancing to Kyell. "This is pretty cool."

He smirked and nodded in agreement, <T> "It takes some getting used to because there's no real weight in the blade. But... it's definitely very cool," he said before he observed her stance. Even his own wasn't perfect, as it took time to get the muscle memory down and position your feet around correctly. But she stood solidly enough and signaled that she was ready, so he took several steps forward, slow and clearly without the intent to suddenly just attack.

<T> "Shii-Cho is the first form and its basics are used to teach simple blade control. It consists of purely vertical or horizontal strikes and blocks at various zones of the body. Lightsabers always meet at a right angle," he continued. There was more detail to the zones and how exactly it all worked, but it was much easier to show her than to tell her.

Kyell then raised his blade up high to telegraph a vertical sweep, and very slowly, he brought the weapon vertically down to the top of her head, the first of the six zones. He'd never allow it to actually make contact, but he was hoping to draw out a natural reaction to such an attack, and test if she caught on to blades meeting at a right angle.

T R A I N
GADivider-Purple.png
Hollis-Temp.png

Hollis kept her eyes on Kyell, watching as he made a slow but deliberate advance. She listened to his explanation and tried to absorb the information as best she could. Even though he brought the blade down carefully, she couldn't deny the surge of nerves.

Her hands fumbled with the saber hilt, and she brought it up, unsteadily, to shield herself. The blades made contact momentarily. Her saber had come up horizontally to meet his. Right angles. It'd been pure reaction, not a lot of thinking involved -- which helped.

"Oh!" Hollis gasped. "Like this?"

Kyell Laysel

K

"Oh!" Hollis gasped. "Like this?"

A smirk appeared on Kyell's lips and he nodded, <You got it,> he said telepathically while he kept the blade in a lock for a moment, allowing her to feel what it's like to have two lightsabers clashing. After alternating the pressure between the blades with his strength a few times, he withdrew his weapon and returned it to his stance.

It was slower this way, but it made it easier to adapt and understand.

After he was sure she had enough time to prepare herself, he moved for another wide telegraphed strike, this time horizontally aimed to strike against Hollis' left side. There was a bit more speed and power behind the attack, but he was careful not to bash the weapon into her.

He was confident that she'd catch the blade again, and perhaps even feel confident enough to counter-attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom