Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

“Well, we lost one of our latest batch of Sith Doppelgangers. The droid we were using to carry it to term ran away before it was born. Typical behavior from Machine Mothers, but they’re better than exowombs, in my opinion. Otherwise, things have been all right. Not much going on around here ever since the Sith fell.”

Khayyam listened to Arcturus’ problem, and as soon as he said the girl had been experimented on by her Grandfather, he nodded. “Messala, right? I used to work with him. Very strange fellow. Mad as a hatter, really. Loved chaos and wreaking havoc for his own amusement.”

Once the blood sample was sent, his focus shifted to a console, pink claws typing rapidly. “Oh yes, I recognize this genome—or parts of it, anyway. She must be Errol’s daughter. He came to me for modifications, and I turned him into a Sith Changeling. He died not long after, killed in battle—Changelings aren’t very suitable for combat, their bones break too easily. Anyway, this is strange… there are elements of plant DNA here...”

He trailed off, studying the data. “If you had caught this early enough, it might’ve been stopped. But if you’re saying she’s already near death, the process must be quite far along. No, I’m afraid it’s not possible to reverse that kind of damage. You’d have more success growing a clone with her original DNA, then transferring her essence to the new body.”

Arcturus sighed at the grim news, and shook his head solemnly. So the process could not be stopped? Certainly it could not be undone. Too late, he said... It was too late. At least for her present body.
"You wouldn't happen to know anyone who could facilitate such, would you?" he inquired, offhandedly. Truth be told he wasn't expecting Khayyam to have such contacts, transferal of essence certainly wasn't something he was privy to though he was not above learning how if there was someone out there willing to teach it.
Right now though, more immediately, he needed someone who could do that.
Chaos, if the girl even agreed to such terms.
"She's immobile, but the process has been slow so far. How far is too far before we can think about undoing it?" he asked, just in case he'd worded it poorly and there was still a chance for the original plan to work. "I don't want to have to give up on her..."
Arcturus was beginning to get the idea that maybe remaining on Tribunal Station for this wasn't a wise idea. Even if the alchemist knew of someone who could transfer her into a clone of herself, they certainly couldn't do so here and risk Ishani and the kid's future.
No, they'd have to move her. But that meant finding someone to keep an eye on the kids, or Force forbid he ask Ishani to remain behind. But that felt... wrong. They'd come to her, not to him. And just because she was the mother didn't mean she had to be the one who sacrificed the pursuit of knowledge.
Something for them to discuss, depending on Khayyam's response.

“You’re in luck—I’ve facilitated essence transfers once or twice.” Khayyam nodded proudly. “I would be happy to teach you. It’s a very useful method of avoiding death—er, well, avoiding becoming one with the Force upon death, that is.”

At the question of how far was too far, Khayyam steepled his fingers and clicked his claws together. “I’d say if the modifications have begun to affect her brain, that would certainly be too far. Damaged organs and limbs can be replaced, but if that’s all you’re doing, at some point she’ll be more machine than organic—a much worse outcome and quality of life than essence transfer would be.”

"Where are you presently?" he inquired. "Do you mind if I bring her in?"
Then he paused.
"But... Let me talk to her first. This is her decision, isn't it?" He nodded his head, then once they were done discussing and the call was cut Arcturus was quick to return to the apartment, everything else forgotten in the meantime.
He opened the door, and stepped into the living room; his eyes fell on Ishani. "Is there anyone on this Station we can entrust the twins to?" Then he made his way toward the girl in her hover chair. Looked her in the eye even though his words were spoken to her mind.
I may have a way to help you with this he stated, But it comes at a cost. And it is your choice, no one else's. I have someone on standby who can oversee the transference of your essence into a clone of you - your original DNA. None of the alchemy... He understood she'd be reluctant, hesitant, but frankly it was the only real opportunity she had to live a full life...

“On Dahrtag, at our not-so-secret lab. I’ll send you the coordinates now.” More typing. “Certainly. Though I must confess, I have an interest in her body regardless of whether she consents to the transfer. It is a very interesting modification. I’ll meet you here when you arrive.”

He signed off.

Upon Arcturus’ return to the apartment, Ishani stood up from where she had been sitting on the couch. Things had been mostly quiet while he was gone. At Arc’s question, her brow furrowed. “Uh—we could leave them with the tea lady? She seemed nice,” she suggested. “Are we going somewhere? For how long?...

She didn’t exactly know Asha Vynea all that well, after all, and she wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of leaving her babies with some stranger. Then again, the only other people in the galaxy she felt she could fully entrust them to were Arcturus and her mother, and neither were an option right now.

Arcturus drifted over to Claudia, speaking to her telepathically. There was a little while before he received an answer.

<Yes. But don’t tell him that’s what you plan on doing. It’s a Dark Side ability, isn’t it? He’ll try to stop you.> She was clearly referring to Vir. <He has good intentions, but he doesn’t know when to stop. I hope he’ll learn one day.>

"Tea lady?" Oh great, Ishani didn't even have a name for her yet they were going to entrust the twins to her care? He glanced at Claudia, then looked toward the twins' door. "She's Kal's Master, right? Asha?" It might not help to ease Ishani's mind to know that Kal had connections to her, but it certainly did ease his. "I'll speak with Kal Kal and see if he'll keep tabs here and there when he's able. Just so we're not kept in the dark."
These people seemed nice enough, certainly not the I'll kill your babies while you're away sorts. It was why he was so concerned about blowing their chance at remaining here. Why he was leaving the kids in the first place. "Shouldn't be too long. We're going to see an old friend."
It was then that Claudia's response came through to his mind, and he nodded solemnly. Do you think he'd consent to staying behind, or will he insist on joining you? If he's going to be a hindrance, I'd rather not have him there as a distraction... But I understand if you need his company.
"It's about two hours 'til most are getting up. We'll wait until then so as not to disturb Asha or the kids... Provided that's okay with you two?" He glanced at Claudia and Vir as he said this. "Provided she agrees... If not--" His gaze then settled on Ishani. "I can stay behind if you'd rather go on ahead. I have the coordinates, and I'm sure he'll just as soon have you there as he would me. They came here for your wisdom, Ish, not me."

I think her name was Ashley or something?” She held up her hands. “I would’ve said Tamiko, but you shot that idea down earlier, and I don’t know anybody else here. We just arrived. You try coming up with a babysitter on short notice.

Arc proceeded to do just that—but he mentioned Kal. Ishani stared at him. Stared long and hard, before her eyes rolled and she heaved a sigh. “Okay. Fine.” If they were just her kids, she’d be concerned about Kal fething with them, but since they were also Arc’s kids, she knew he wouldn’t dare. That was about the surest security they could get, wasn’t it?

She wasn’t quite angry or annoyed about all this, more uncertain and concerned. So far Arc had kept her in the dark as to what his plan was. Clearly wherever they were headed, the twins couldn’t come along. But just how dangerous was it?

Arc started to explain that they were visiting an “old friend”, but that only made her all the more bewildered. She opened her mouth to ask him who he was talking about, only to realize that he wasn’t listening. His mind was elsewhere, focused on Claudia.

<I’m not going anywhere without him. Sorry.>

Vir was quiet for some time, as though listening to something. Listening to Claudia, in fact. “We can wait. Then we will go wherever you wish to go,” he said, his tone somewhat reluctant.

Things were happening so fast, it was hard to keep up. By the time Arc turned to her, Ishani just blinked at what he said. “I… But—Arc, what wisdom? I’m not…

Not as good at this as you are.

No, no. Think logically. Clearly they wanted her to help them. Someone needed to stay behind and watch the kids. If Asha couldn’t do it, it would have to be Arc. It was necessary. Ishani was used to making decisions out of necessity, making sacrifices to do what needed to be done. If she had to go alone, she’d do it.

On the other hand… “Uh, honey—where are we going?

Clearly she needed a proper explanation first, before she agreed to anything. Once Arc had a chance to do that, whether he pulled her aside or communicated the details telepathically, only then would she give an answer.

Last edited:
Then he'll come too. But I'll try and keep it all vague.
With that in mind, Arcturus turned his attention to Ishani and stepped over to her. Settled a hand upon her shoulder, and offered her an easy smile. More so when Vir agreed that they could wait around 'til someone was available to watch the kids. "I wasn't against Tamiko watching them" he stated, "I just didn't want to wake her in the middle of the night for it."
His eyes drifted to the man who couldn't necessarily handle the information, and he gave him a small smile too. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to keep you in the dark but my contact values their privacy." Hopefully it went without saying that the reason he'd chosen to telepathically communicate with Claudia was so that he could hear her reply, but this explanation was for what he was going to do next.
Namely he turned his focus to Ishani and spoke clearly into her mind.
We're headed to Dahrtag, to meet with Khayyam. I already have Claudia's permission, but the plan is... Well, we're going to transfer her into a clone of herself. Free from the corruptive nature of the alchemy. If for whatever reason I can't come with, Ish, I need you to help him with the process, okay? Claudia warned me that Vir wouldn't approve, so... Let's keep this between us, okay?
He hated to lie to people, or keep them in the dark, especially when it pertained to loved ones, but what could he do? This was all ultimately up to the rootbound woman. Not him.

Arcturus sighed.
"Fair point."
Okay then, Asha it was. Tamiko as a fall back... Kal after that? If Ishani would ever agree to such, of course. He wasn't sure she would. Wasn't even sure Kal would, truth be told. Welp, they'd find out in a few hours wouldn't they?
"Can I get you anything while we wait?" he inquired of their guests. "You're welcome to rest while you're here. The sofa pulls out. There's tea and coffee and hot chocolate... Food, too. Please, make yourselves at home."

“No, we’re fine,” Vir replied to Arc’s question. “We bothered you this early, you should be the ones resting.”

Claudia made no further comment. Ishani turned to Arc and shrugged. “I’d say you should try to get some more sleep, but knowing you, you’re too excited now.” She patted him on the shoulder. "If you need something to take the edge off, you know where to find me."

With that, she headed for the bedroom to get a few more hours of shut-eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom