Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Tell Me Something I Don't Know

Amani's work did not often lead her to the Jedi archives on Coruscant. She usually found that any information she needed could be obtained back at Silver Rest.

That, however, had changed recently.

Not necessarily because she couldn’t find the knowledge she sought on Kashyyyk, she never got the chance to look. Rather, Silver Rest was quite simply the last place in the galaxy that Amani could be right now. The Mirialan’s rogue status was already known to her peers, given the attempted intervention of one of her friends on Tython. An intervention that did not go well for either involved party. She was still reeling even now, and word would likely spread of their fight when the Jedi returned to Silver space. At least being in GA space would give her some extra time to spare, while still giving her the information she sought. Not to mention, the chances of running into a familiar face were much less likely. Or, so she hoped, at least.

Amani was in a rush. Places to be, Grandmasters to save, Dark Lords to kill. But first, there was a Sith holocron in desperate need of deciphering. A little thing she picked up on Nar Shaddaa, after a less than smoothly executed trade involving one of the moon’s many Hutt cartels. It all worked out in the end. More or less.

Finding the most secluded area she could, Amani plopped down a stack of carefully curated texts, pertaining to knowledge that she’d presumed at least, would help her. She wasn’t exactly much of a researcher, not in this sense. Confident no one else was around, the young Jedi produced from her robes a small, obsidian black pyramid, etched with eldritch runes and hieroglyphics of Sith design. Trying to open the device had proved fruitless up to this point, keeping her so close yet so far from the knowledge she so desperately needed. Whatever that was. It frustrated her to no end; The Jedi ones were simple, she thought this one would be too. Apparently, many Jedi tend to struggle with such artifacts, and this one seemed particularly protective of its secrets. Just looking at it too long, she could feel a discomforting aura exuding from within. No matter, it was time to get to work. Amani set herself to poring over the datapads and old books she had gathered, occasionally closely glancing about for any spying eyes.

Apparently, not closely enough.

if they're watching anyways
Civil_try1.png

hJJw3Ng.png

Amani Serys Amani Serys

Secluded corners in the library were Auteme's favorite. There was nothing better than a quiet spot where she could get some reading done. There was a good reason that her mind palace took the form of a library; they were the greatest places in the galaxy, and within them there were pockets of true tranquility.

Her favorite spot in the Coruscant Temple Archives was in the far southeast corner. It was an alcove, refurbished some time after the Galactic Civil War, with comforting carpet floors and sculpted wroshyr wood shelves. The padded chairs and soft lighting gave it a comforting, homely feel; life thrummed out of the walls, like there were scholars of old still perusing the pages. Few knew about this place or were willing to go so deep into the archives to find it. As such, she rarely spoke to anyone about it, preferring to keep the little alcove private. Occasionally she'd have tea and chat with one of the archivists there.

Never had she been surprised by someone occupying the space before her -- and surprised she was when she found a Mirialan padawan sitting at the round table at the center of the room. Auteme recognized her from classes at the Silver Rest; though she'd never seen Amani in the Coruscant Temple she gave a warm smile as she stepped into the alcove.

"Good afternoon! Amani, right? I've never seen you around here before-" Her eyes locked onto the holocron that sat in front of the other padawan. "Is that a Sith holocron?"

It didn't take long for one of the books to absorb Amani’s interest. Or rather, she was having a particularly hard time figuring out what it was trying to say, and had been reading the same paragraph several times over. The author felt the need to add some very unnecessary embellishment, rather than just explaining what the runes symbolized already.

Hence why it was all the more surprising to her when a voice perked her ears. Amani practically jumped out of her seat, the chair squeaking loudly as she did, “WOW! Hi! Yes! Auteme? I remember, we were in that Detox class together!" She scurried to nonchalantly hide the holocron behind the stack of books as she rambled, "I was totally not expecting to run into you here! It'ssonicetoseeyou!” Her eyes darted back and forth between Auteme and the table, pausing for a suspiciously long amount of time as she tried to give a believable answer her question, “Uhhh...... No?”

Time to dig the hole deeper.

“How would I have a Sith holocron? ...Do you guys have Sith holocrons here?... Out of curiosity?”

She took a half step back. The way the other padawan reacted might've been comical if it wasn't so worrying. Amani did her best to hide the Holocron, but she couldn't hide the thing's presence in the Force or make Auteme forget what she'd seen. She reached into her bag, finding hold of the item she needed but keeping it hidden for now.

"None of them are accessible to padawans," she said. How had Amani found that Holocron? Was she planning to steal more? What if she was falling to the dark side? A fight here would be bad. Any fight would be bad. Auteme didn't want to hurt Amani, or get hurt.

No, no, there had to be an explanation. She needed more information.

"Where did you get it?" She paused, then forced herself to relax. "Are you okay?"

“O-oh. Well that’s fine, I was just wondering! Since you brought it up, after all.” Amani’s attempt to act casual was decidedly ineffective, and if anything only made it more obvious. Her fingers drummed across the table anxiously praying to the Force or whatever cosmic entity would listen, that Auteme was going to buy it anyway.

Unfortunately, Auteme was a smart person, and intent on questioning further. She asked if she was okay. Amani very much wanted to say no. She definitely wasn’t. “I’m… fine. Are you?” The mirialan swallowed, trying her hardest to avoid the first question.

Hardly a moment passed before she decided she couldn’t keep it up anymore. It was clear there was no getting around it. Amani slumped back into her chair in resignation. How much would she reveal, that was the question. She gave a long sigh, “Um, I found it on Nar Shaddaa. I was just… trying to learn more...” Technically not a lie, but it wasn’t the whole truth either.

She stared at the Mirialan for a long few moments. The more she looked, the more she felt -- Auteme sensed the turmoil, the stress, the struggle. Maybe the end goal was good and just and right but the way Amani was going about it was going to twist her away from the right path.

Auteme took a step forward, then another. She took a deep breath and reached out; not just with her words but with her heart. Everyone had that light within them and she did not doubt that Amani's burned bright behind that facade of darkness. "I understand, Amani. I understand the desire to learn more, to learn everything, in hopes of helping people. Saving someone," she said, in a flash of insight.

Another step forward, just across the table from Amani. "The search for power is enticing, but that shouldn't consume you. A single goal shouldn't consume you. Maybe you want to help more people but there are people who want to help you, too. People who care."

Step forward, around the table. "I know we don't know each other well, but I care about you. You're going through something difficult, right? You deserve to be helped. I'm here for you."

Step forward. Within arm's reach, now. Auteme reached towards the Holocron; slow and careful, not wanting to startle Amani. "You have to let me, though."

Auteme read her intentions far better than Amani could have imagined. She looked away in shame, conflicting thoughts and emotions further addled by her fellow Jedi’s advice. “But I can’t just give up! I-” Amani gave a defeated sigh, Auteme was right and she knew it. “I just… don’t have a lot of options right now…”

Her thoughts went back to her fight on Tython. She had been called a traitor, and the word had been ringing in her ears ever since. Now she was being given another chance; Auteme, regardless of how little they knew of each other, was telling her she cared, telling her she could help. “I don’t know if you can.”

Amani reminded herself why she was doing this in the first place. Her eyes flicked over to the holocron, catching Auteme’s careful attempt to reach towards it. She stared back at her, a tense pause hanging in the air that felt like it lasted forever. “......Take it.” Amani pushed the holocron towards Auteme for her to turn in for safekeeping. “I shouldn’t have it.” She breathed out and relaxed, as if a heavy weight had fallen off her shoulders.

It was touching to hear Auteme’s reassurance, and she trusted her to take the holocron, but it was also an attempt to remain diplomatic. If needed, Amani would be prepared to find a different method to learn what she needed. But for now, she accepted the compromise. Amani knew what she was doing was dangerous, but she was too stubborn to let go. “Thanks for caring. I should probably… go.” She stood up, rubbing the back of her neck. “I can, um, put the books back first.” She clarified, in her more typical, awkward fashion.

At the Mirialan's invitation she swept the holocron into her bag. It seemed to almost resist her touch; darkness tended to flee light. Her focus wasn't truly on that, though -- a Sith Holocron could be dangerous, but knowledge was only dangerous when someone was willing to use it for bad things. Auteme didn't think Amani had bad intentions.

"Wait," she said. With the holocron out of the way, she felt a little more confident. Still, she paused to address the other concern. "The- um, I'll take care of the books. I just... know a bit about Holocrons.

"Holocrons aren't just... information. It's got an avatar, a representation of the person who made it. A personality. Sith Holocrons especially; they're known to try to manipulate those who interact with them -- even opening themselves to try." That wasn't the whole truth, but it was close enough. "This one didn't try with you. You aren't a Sith, and they can't give you what you want."

Moment of truth. "Stay. I can help you, and we can work things out. I promise."

She prepared to scoop up the pile of books, eager to make a hasty exit. Auteme gave her another pause, which Amani followed with some reluctance, an anxious bounce to her step as she waited.

The continued focus on holocrons at first only made her more ready to leave, but Auteme managed to assuage some degree of guilt on Amani’s part. Though the mere implication of her leaning towards the Sith had kept her on edge. “I-... But…”

As much as she wanted to reach out, Amani had already convinced herself that no one would trust her if they knew what she was up to. It was cemented in her mind after her confrontation on Tython. And she couldn’t afford any more setbacks. “I can’t… I just-- I don’t have time. Sorry...”

She stepped back, bumping into the chair as she did. If Auteme didn’t make any further attempt to stop her, Amani would grab her things and begin to leave, more than happy to take up Auteme’s offer on leaving the books. “Don’t worry about it, I-I’ll be fine.”

So there it was. Amani's response was a surprise to Auteme; still, she would've been surprised if the Mirialan had agreed to stay with her. As much as she wanted to help she also knew little about the other padawan and couldn't presume to know what she was facing or what she was going through. That was likely a strong reason why so many did not seek professional help when faced with personal crises.

She wanted to help, desperately so. But as she said before it wouldn't work if Amani didn't let her in. Here, Amani was pushing Auteme out, and there was nothing she could do. All she could do was watch as the girl began to leave.

Was her quest to help everyone she could in vain? Had she done everything she could to get Amani to stay, to fix things, or were there limits to who Auteme could convince? The Force swirled with uncertainty. Amani took another step away.

"Ama- Amani," she started, trying to get her attention one last time. "Just be careful. Please. Please. Just be careful."

The Mirialan finally left. Auteme watched her go, then went ahead and collected the books to put them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom