Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Sulituan

Status
Not open for further replies.
V4IUGws.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Sulituan
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Homeworld: Archae Teuthis
  • Language: Sulii
  • Average Lifespan: 175yrs
  • Estimated Population: Planetary (The Sulituaii species is not particularly widely-known, with the most famous member being a podracing legend from before the Galactic Civil War era named Tzidik Wrantojo)
  • Description: Sulituaii are an aquatic/amphibious race that are typically hard-working, conforming, being of respect. Most only strive to do right for their family and live fairly normal lives. Very few become widely known, even on their home planet, due to capitalism having very niche uses among their society. It was very common to hang things off of their shells such as gear, toolkits, backpacks, etc
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type I (Water for Untersul / Air for Ubersul)
  • Average height of adults: 1.75m (5’7ft) Males / 1.83m (6’5ft) Females
  • Average length of adults: N/A
  • Skin color: Dark brown, khaki, bone-white/offwhite.
  • Hair color: N/A
  • Distinctions: Not terribly human-like, Sulituaii resemble squids or nautili with arms/legs, and only two 'fingers' per arm. Males tend to be slightly smaller, with larger lamellae than females. Females tend to be larger (with smaller lamellae) and also are often much darker in skin colouration. Untersul and Ubersul also share this distinction, with the former typically having dark brown skin, and the latter often ranging from light khaki to bone white in tone. Some older populations can also see interesting traits such as mottling or differing coloured shells. More mature Sulituaii tend to grow pale as they age.
  • Races: Ubersul and Untersul
Untersul: The original Sulituaii race, the Untersul live exclusive below the water. With the rising of Archae Teuthis’ oceans, many of the traditional reef cities were abandoned due to the pressures rising too much. As a result, all float cities on Archae Teuthis house both races of Sulituan, with the Untersul living in massive underwater structures. While most Untersul do not venture above water, those who do for extended periods of time must do so wearing special breathing apparatus’ that keep their lamellae (lung-gills) and eyes immersed in water. These apparatus’ also filter oxygen from the air back into the water, allowing Untersul to stay on land almost indefinitely…though most tend to complain about dry skin after a few days of not being in water.

The Untersulii tend to be a very strict and extremely hard-working people, committing a majority of their daily hours to their work or anything that benefits society as a whole. This causes them to clash slightly with the Ubersul, who typically act a bit more carefree; they often see them as lazy and childish.

Ubersul: A race that had split from the former over 10,000 years ago; they had initially evolved to be amphibious, being able to live equally well on land as well as in water as the Untersul. Ubersul has now come to mostly mean those who now almost exclusively live above water, though the amphibious generations are also included in this race. They are said to be much more easy-going and ‘fun’ than their underwater brethren, and have very different tastes in things such as art, family, and society in general.

It is the Ubersul who brought more interaction with the world outside Archae Teuthis, with the Eadidohtil Dynasty comprising mainly of Ubersul Sulituaii. It is also mostly members of this race that drive new ventures in art, politics, and technology. Ubersul typically say, that if the Untersul had complete control of the planet, that they’d still be using manpower to do most jobs.
  • Strengths:
-Extremely disciplined; as a whole, the Sulituaii tend to be far more disciplined than the average alien race, and have little problems with conforming to any rules put in front of them.
-Heightened strength (off Archae Teuthis only): Due to Archae Teuthis having such a strong gravity, Sulituaii experience a sort of “strength-boost” when on planets with the average gravity, due to their more powerful muscles having less forces being enacted on them. On worlds with equal or greater gravity of Archae Teuthis this is null and void, of course...being immersed in water has a similar effect
  • Weaknesses:
-Waterborne (Untersul only): Without proper gear, an Untersulii may only be able to live out of water for no more than 8 hrs. During that time they will have great difficulty breathing, seeing, and will be in general very limited in physical capability.
-Alien form: Unlike many humanoid aliens, Sulituaii have a very different physical body than most, and experience great difficulty in using any alien tech not adapted for them. This goes for anything from chairs, to controls, and weapons; many Sulituaii do not travel offworld for this reason

CULTURE
  • Diet: Most types of seafood, including but not limited to: fish, shellfish, and crustaceans…though, due to similarity, avoid foods of cephalopods. Sulituaii also enjoy many greens that can be grow in ocean-type conditions, like seaweed or kelp. Untersul stick firmly to these foods, though Ubersul are known to enjoy many offworld delicacies such as red meats, and grain-foods are especially desired for their uniqueness.
Foods which tend to be poisonous to the entire species include any sort of fruit and most types of nuts. Alien vegetables tend to be okay, though any pepper-like food is considered toxic to both races of Sulituan.
  • Communication: Sulituaii communicate almost entirely verbally, though Ubersul have developed a written language which is currently used for official forms in government. Untersul do not on average learn the written form of Sulii (sometimes referred to as Ubsulii)
  • Technology level: Almost on par with the galaxy standard. The Archae Teuthii military forces possess technology almost on par with the standard in the galaxy, with advances only a few decades away to catching up. The planet's society falls a bit further behind, but for the most part enjoys most of the same luxury of life as other races, as the people themselves aren't a technology-demanding kind.
  • Religion/Beliefs: Sulituaii used to belief in a great creator who lived inside the planet, in a core of coral, though after interaction with the galaxy and advances in science, that belief was slowly abandoned.
  • General behavior: Sulituaii as a whole have strong relations with their families, and it is far and foremost the most important aspect of the Sulituan life. This drives them to work, and create, all for their family. It is in this way that another strong value most Sulituaii have is a bond with their race, as many see themselves as part of the larger family that is Archae Teuthis.
Sulituaii life, at least once ago, could be described as hard. Before the age of future technology, as soon as a young Sulituan was able to work, they would go and build their house and work towards building their own family. Similarly, once a Sulituan is old enough to work, they will move into a subproperty of their family’s were they stay until they find a mate when they move out. Despite the seemingly hardness of the lifestyle, Sulituan households are full of love, and a majority of them would say they are happy with their family. Mates are typically found through family relations (not blood relations) though any sort of work ties, friends, etc. Due to Sulituaii not having drastically varying appearances, most mates are chosen from personality. That being said, one defining trait of a Sulituan is their voice; most can be distinguished from each other due to varying dialects, tones, pitches, etc.

In recent centuries, Sulituan society has become more concerned with the environment, and most heavy industries are taken care of offplanet, either through intergalactic trade, or factories set up on one of the moons of the system. Unless a Sulituan has a particular need to explore, the majority of them will never see an alien, nor have an interest to do so. Interactions with the rest of the galaxy are typically left for high ranking managers of companies, politicians, etc.

Some more differences between the two Sulituaii races; Untersul tend to be hunters, miners, and general labourers. They are mostly nocturnal, working from dusk to dawn, and they are also far less likely to attend any sort of learning establishment. Ubersul are more of the inventors, creators, and explorers; taking interest in higher learning and education. Ubersul have adapted to be diurnal, working mostly during light.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Sulituaii evolved from early cephalopods which began using tools to fish and work with. Their aquatic environment and the heavy gravity on the planet influenced their evolution greatly. Over time they developed the idea of building shelters and reworking the environment to their own needs. This happened at a time when the above water temperatures were much more frigid as large ice formations circles the poles and across the globe; there was also quite a bit of land above water at this time. Due to this tool use and civilization, their natural bodies started to evolve as well, with two of their appendages adapting to become legs, and another four fused into arms, with two graspers at the ends of each that they could use to manipulate things with. These appendages, although seemingly thin, were mostly muscle, which allowed them to be easily used despite their length. With their size, their lamellae became quite large and became distributed around their whole head. Eventually, Sulituaii started to venture onto this land, which started the split into Untersul and Ubersul. Their shell is residual, as it serves no significant function that Sulituaii scientists have discovered at least. In the past, it is believed that the head and body could retract into the shell; if this was true, it is lost to history as the modern Sulituaii does not possess this function.

It was also during this ancient past that the two Sulituaii races split, with the Ubersul adapting to living on land and above the water, while the Untersul continued to develop as a solely-aquatic race. This split not only caused their physical differences, but their societal ones as well. Ubersul became a lot more modern, especially after contact with the rest of the galaxy, and were quick to embrace new ideas, influences, and technologies. The Untersul, on the otherhand, became fairly set in their own traditions, and tried their best to ignore the innovations of others. It would be an overstatement to say there was a rift between the two, but more akin to a stereotype they had about each other. When there were wars (which were few of) between Sulituan people, it was more often a city or territory against another, rather than a race war. For the most part, the Sulituaii could be described as a fairly passive species, and in history have participated in very little intergalactic events, mostly keeping to themselves. However, and especially in more recent times, the Ubersul have been pushing for stronger connections with the outside world, bringing in more technology and innovation, and trying to hold a presence in the galactic pond.

That being said, the Sulituaii entry into the galaxy has yet to influence much, and they remain a small blip amongst the thousands of other species in the universe. On such a note, even though the Gulag Plague did come into contact with the Sulituaii on Archae Teuthis, it remained an isolated event as it was able to be quarantined and treated quickly. During conflicts before that, they were often ignored and passed over because of their relative obscurity in the galaxy, as well as lack of easily-accessible resources.

Hi, just a few things we'll have to discuss. :)

P47HFIND3R said:
-Superhuman strength (off Archae Teuthis only): Due to Archae Teuthis having such a strong gravity, Sulituaii experience a sort of “strength-boost” when on planets with the average gravity, as well as heightened reflexes. On worlds with equal or greater gravity of Archae Teuthis this is null and void, of course
Would this be conjecture, fleshing out the lack of information; or is their a canon reference to this? To what degree would the enhanced strength equate to on more standard planets? Why would reflexes be increased without that gravity there?

P47HFIND3R said:
(Military is much more advanced than the rest of the world’s society)
This doesn't appear anywhere else in the submission, so I'm a bit confused. While many of the Sulituan are hunters and such, I don't see any mention of them nor the Ubersul having any serious efforts in military. Could you expand on this idea, and add as to why it is more advanced? Perhaps explain to what degree it compares to the galactic average as well.

Please tag me when you've made the proper adjustments!

[member="P47HFIND3R"]

The Slave said:
Would this be conjecture, fleshing out the lack of information; or is their a canon reference to this? To what degree would the enhanced strength equate to on more standard planets? Why would reflexes be increased without that gravity there?

Just basing this off physics. If your muscle adapts to move under a certain weight, or gravity, then the absence of that weight is going to improve the capabilities of that muscle; strength, reflexes, or otherwise. No?

EDITED; fixed up some wording and added the above explanation into the submission
-Heightened strength (off Archae Teuthis only): Due to Archae Teuthis having such a strong gravity, Sulituaii experience a sort of “strength-boost” when on planets with the average gravity, as well as heightened reflexes, due to their more powerful muscles having less forces being enacted on them. On worlds with equal or greater gravity of Archae Teuthis this is null and void, of course

The Slave said:
This doesn't appear anywhere else in the submission, so I'm a bit confused. While many of the Sulituan are hunters and such, I don't see any mention of them nor the Ubersul having any serious efforts in military. Could you expand on this idea, and add as to why it is more advanced? Perhaps explain to what degree it compares to the galactic average as well. Please tag me when you've made the proper adjustments!

Sorry, this is mostly referenced from my submission for Archae Teuthis, their planet. My logic here can be compared to that on Earth...the military always keeps the most advanced stuff, typically, before it becomes commonplace among the rest of society (ie, computers, jets, etc). I also am correcting the wording, as it should be "Military is much more advanced than the rest of Archae Teuthis’ society", as I only meant for it to refer to the planet itself (world vs galaxy get a bit mixed up sometimes).

Further clarification; Archae Teuthis' military's tech is still subpar to the galactic standard, but ahead of what the general population has access to on Archae Teuthis.

EDITED; further clarification/expanded upon

• Technology level: Almost on par with the galaxy standard. The Archae Teuthii military forces possess technology almost on par with the standard in the galaxy, with advances only a few decades away to catching up. The planet's society falls a bit further behind, but for the most part enjoys most of the same luxury of life as other races, as the people themselves aren't a technology-demanding kind.

[member=The Slave]

P47HFIND3R said:
Just basing this off physics. If your muscle adapts to move under a certain weight, or gravity, then the absence of that weight is going to improve the capabilities of that muscle; strength, reflexes, or otherwise. No?
Perhaps semantics, but I'd consider reflexes more in the nervous system and brain response. A muscle's speed isn't its reaction, rather the ability to contemplate and act would be to react. The strength is fine, if the planet follows that same train of thought; just the reactions would be off then. I'll ask for that changed.

P47HFIND3R said:
Sorry, this is mostly referenced from my submission for Archae Teuthis, their planet. My logic here can be compared to that on Earth...the military always keeps the most advanced stuff, typically, before it becomes commonplace among the rest of society (ie, computers, jets, etc). I also am correcting the wording, as it should be "Military is much more advanced than the rest of Archae Teuthis’ society", as I only meant for it to refer to the planet itself (world vs galaxy get a bit mixed up sometimes). Further clarification; Archae Teuthis' military's tech is still subpar to the galactic standard, but ahead of what the general population has access to on Archae Teuthis.
I see no issue with how the edit takes place. I'll let that pass.

Just fix the reflexes issue or list it under a different strength, and I'll give this the ok!

@P47HFIND3R

Zeradias Mant

Democracy Dies in Darkness
[member="P47HFIND3R"]

GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Please provide the link to the planet.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Would a planet's gravity still affect a Sulituan's strength when fully submersed in water? I would think the resistance would be just about the same. Please clarify this in your strengths.
HISTORY
  • Please expand upon your history. You mention a rift between the two races happening almost 10,000 years ago - why did this happen? Were tensions compounded by any galactic events, be them canon or Chaos canon? Have they started to mend that rift, or at tensions just as high now as they were then?

Zeradias Mant said:
PHYSICAL INFORMATION Would a planet's gravity still affect a Sulituan's strength when fully submersed in water?I would think the resistance would be just about the same.Please clarify this in your strengths.

Would you be able to clarify what you mean by your request to clarify the thing about the strength?

I mean, I think I understand what you're getting at, but (to me at least) wouldn't being submerged in water affect species the same, regardless of strength?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just confused, haha

[member=Zeradias Mant]

EDITED; aside from the Strength stuff, edited all aforementioned points; expanded history
If you were thinking something a little more than that, give me a target and I shall revise and redo the history portion

Added paragraphs;
It was also during this ancient past that the two Sulituaii races split, with the Ubersul adapting to living on land and above the water, while the Untersul continued to develop as a solely-aquatic race. This split not only caused their physical differences, but their societal ones as well. Ubersul became a lot more modern, especially after contact with the rest of the galaxy, and were quick to embrace new ideas, influences, and technologies. The Untersul, on the otherhand, became fairly set in their own traditions, and tried their best to ignore the innovations of others. It would be an overstatement to say there was a rift between the two, but more akin to a stereotype they had about each other. When there were wars (which were few of) between Sulituan people, it was more often a city or territory against another, rather than a race war. For the most part, the Sulituaii could be described as a fairly passive species, and in history have participated in very little intergalactic events, mostly keeping to themselves. However, and especially in more recent times, the Ubersul have been pushing for stronger connections with the outside world, bringing in more technology and innovation, and trying to hold a presence in the galactic pond.

That being said, the Sulituaii entry into the galaxy has yet to influence much, and they remain a small blip amongst the thousands of other species in the universe. On such a note, even though the Gulag Plague did come into contact with the Sulituaii on Archae Teuthis, it remained an isolated event as it was able to be quarantined and treated quickly. During conflicts before that, they were often ignored and passed over because of their relative obscurity in the galaxy, as well as lack of easily-accessible resources.

[member=The Slave] | [member=Zeradias Mant]​

Zeradias Mant

Democracy Dies in Darkness
[member="P47HFIND3R"]

From what I gather, it sounds like the reason for the enhanced strength off world comes from the absence of gravity-imposed force. However, when submersed in water, they'd have the same amount of force resistance regardless of the gravity. The inertia of water is the main source of drag when underwater, and inertia is a property of matter, independent of gravity. Because of that, they wouldn't have higher strength when underwater on any other world, regardless of the gravity level.

Just clarify your strength to reflect this and we should be good to go.

EDITED; added highlighted text to end of strength parapraph

-Heightened strength (off Archae Teuthis only): Due to Archae Teuthis having such a strong gravity, Sulituaii experience a sort of “strength-boost” when on planets with the average gravity, due to their more powerful muscles having less forces being enacted on them. On worlds with equal or greater gravity of Archae Teuthis this is null and void, of course...while being immersed in water has a similar effect

[member=Zeradias Mant]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom