Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions/Advice...

Hello all!

As the title says, I'm hoping for some suggestions and/or advice. Poor [member="Ryn'Dhal"] has ad to field all of my "Is this okay...?", "Where does _____ occur?", "When did _____ happen?", etc. Poor guy is probably regretting even telling me this place exists! :p

So anywho, I am a Star Wars fan who is feeling woefully inadequate when it comes to the timeline, maps, etc. I am trying to work up some good starter bios for my two characters with the intent of fleshing them out more down the road. Once I have those written and added to my character profiles, I want to jump feet first into RP. But...I'm intimidated. I don't want to start a thread or join a thread, only to embarrass myself by not knowing the details, locations, dos and don'ts, that sort of thing. It has been a good 3 or 4 years since I've RPed and probably closer to 8 or 9 since RPing in a world that was already established.

So does anyone have any advice? Are there any good resources for learning locations, timeframe, major events, and the like?

I have spent time studying the map, perusing Wookiepedia to brush up on some of my lore, and rewatched the original trilogy, all with the intent of being a better RP partner on here. Sadly, I'm still feeling woefully unprepared and intimidated. I don't want this to keep me from joining in the fun. I can say that just in the process of lurking around, I have seen so many amazing characters and writers whom I can't wait to RP with!

Thank you for your time!

Progflaw99

[member="Ara_Ren"]

Hi and welcome to Chaos! There are so many options!

Firstly, there's always public threads, and usually those are open to anyone and the initial post typically provides a setting/context. Additionally, there are factions! Is there a specific type/style of RP that interests you? (Soldiering, Light Side Force User, Dark Side Force User, Doctor, etc?)

Taking a look at faction pages can help give some context as well, even just reading the faction advertisements can be helpful if you want to find a group off the bat, but by no means do you have to join a faction right away either, writing independently can be fun too, interacting with different factions but not belonging to them!

As far as site history/timeline goes, the timeline is fluid, so it's more flexible but more or less we are 800+ years out from the Battle of Yavin. And all planets have been restored back when the Vong invaded (really simplified explanation).

[member="Castor Ren"]

One of my characters has already joined a faction based on her backstory and I look forward to exploring that. The other...is most DEFINITELY independent.

I like to just start with a base character concept and allow the RP itself shape their path and future. I find the interactions with other characters to be immensely enjoyable since they often surprise and astound me by talking stories in a direction I never imagined. Part of my joy for RPing is going through the emotional journey with the character and watching how other writers change that story in so many wonderful ways.

Ultimately I look forward to interacting with all the different factions and character types and just watching what happens!

It's good to know that the timeline is fluid. I've been part of a couple forums where it was very rigid and characters where discouraged from being active in multiple threads at once due to the conflict of time.

Thank you so much for your advice and help :)

Sorel Crieff

Ready are you? What know you of ready?
[member="Ara_Ren"]

One option is to focus on your character's emotions, personality etc. as opposed to facts and back-story. It's not so difficult to avoid referencing canon (and non-canon) events if you want to. And if you goof up? Nobody minds. I mixed up the first and second Death Star stories the other day. Was I slightly embarrassed? Yes. Did it matter to anyone but me? No.

The main point of being here is to have fun. Please don't let worry about details stop that. :)

Jimmy-Fallon-and-Elmo-Dancing.gif

[member="Sorel Crieff"]

Thanks, that actually means ALOT. It's just so intimidating seeing so many references and events mentioned so casually that I WAS really worried that people would care if I messed something up.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Ara_Ren"]

It's a fansite. So, the bar for excellence around here is set at unicorn smut with pink lightsaber raves.

Stay above that, and you're golden. :D :p

Jay Scott Clark said:
[member=Ara_Ren]

It's a fansite. So, the bar for excellence around here is set at unicorn smut with pink lightsaber raves.

Stay above that, and you're golden. :D :p
[member="Jay Scott Clark"]
That is the most beautiful description of a fansite I've ever heard. I think I love you :wub:

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Ara_Ren"]

Ha. You've got a sense of humor too! Grand. :D :p

Well. You'll do just fine around here. I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom