Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Subs and Slashers

f6263b70b6d98edf642310fe69dcdce7.jpg

Subs and Slashers
Coruscant, 1313
Tags: Jand Talo Jand Talo

The stench of blood was heavy now. Still twitching bodies were strewn about the alleyway, the horror of their final moments still playing out in their lifeless eyes. Pools of blood began clogging the trash-filled gutters, light from a street lamp reflecting off the surface, giving the alley a crimson glow. Two teens stood amongst the bodies. In one hand, drawn weapons. In the other, foot-long sandwiches. Specks of blood dotted their faces, bags hanging under their sunken eyes. There had been a plan, one that had started off with simple intentions. Some may even have believed them perfectly ordinary. Unfortunately for these young Jedi Padawan learners, fate would have other ideas...

Recording:

How do I even begin describing what happened? Sure, I could just say Jand and I were there, and people wound up dead. That would probably suffice, but the specifics are important. This... wasn't what we had been planning to do with our day, that much I can guarantee. It's all been a mess. I don't even know where to begin... I should probably start from the beginning... Yeah, that'll work...

Yesterday...

After Beltrix III, Jand had still been interested in the sandwich that Jasper had eaten on the night that ex-Padawan, present day jailbird Arlo Renard Arlo Renard attempted to start a fight club, to little success. He didn't remember much about his pathing that day. It was months ago now, and Jasper had been through a large period of growth. Still, if Jand was curious, there was no harm in setting off to retrace his steps. The duelist remembered quite enjoying the sandwich joint. He couldn't turn down the opportunity to grab a bite out. Jasper figured that this would also be a good way to get to know Jand better as well, something he had been meaning to do.

"Alright, 1313," he began as they made their way through the streets of the undercity. "I remember it being here, but where is a different story entirely." As they walked, they passed a smoldering trash can, the remains of the recent gang war that had broken out. "Wow, that battle made a mess down here... and it was a mess to begin with. Probably safe to say the senate won't be sending much aid..."

They seemed to ignore their underworld, which wasn't surprising. With so many layers to govern, people give up somewhere. Eventually, politicians simply stop caring, usually when they can no longer see the issue. It was sad, but reality. That didn't mean Jasper liked it.

"You seemed pretty adamant about getting yourself a sandwich," Jasper continued, quickly shifting the subject. "What has you so interested in it?"

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

NOW

Jand stood, lightsaber hilt in hand, beside Jasper. The scene was one of anarchy, violent and bloody, as a host of corpses littered the area. There wasn't a word said, as the pair regarded the situation, though attention from the surrounding area did seem to be more forthcoming. In the distance, a scream, some other sentients spoke between themselves, observing the two Jedi in the midst of the massacre.

With a calm glance down, Jand lifted his other hand, where the long sandwich was held between his chalk white fingers.

There was blood spatter on the wrapping.

Hopefully it hadn't seeped through to the food, as Jand still wanted to eat the food item.

"Hm."

Quite a predicament...

jand_spacer.png

"I am unsure what clarity I can provide, which hasn't been provided by my Jedi companion already.

"But, if I must, then I will explain the circumstances as best I can.

"It began when Jasper and myself met, regarding a particular sandwich that I recalled from several months prior..."

jand_spacer.png

THEN

The extension of invite to accompany Jasper to locate the sandwich had been unexpected, but Jand had accepted. It seemed appropriate, given it had been the Nagai's own curiosity - around the time of Beltrix III - that had resulted in the pair discussing further. And since Jand had started to work on being more considerate of others, even though it had taken a lot of effort to reach that place, he was content to venture out with his peer.

As it was, Level 1313 was not unknown to Jand. In the past, the Jedi Padawan had engaged in several missions in the area, particularly alongside Iris Arani, where the two had brought an end to a large thieves ring. This outing, however, was poised to be more casual, with little-to-no violence or Jedi business expected. But, if it was one thing Jand knew well, it was that 1313 was unpredictable at the best of times...

"We are unburdened by the expectation of Order business," Jand said in a low voice, as he walked alongside Jasper. "We can take the time required, if it helps."

The Nagai was dressed in less Jedi-like attire, instead he wore the less common jumpsuit and jacket combination. His weapons were still on his person, concealed. The robes tended to draw too much attention, especially on level 1313.

"I wouldn't be surprised if some combat engagements were still on-going," Jand said, as he considered the mention of the battle between gangs that had been reported. It had been a very recent event, if not still actively proceeding in small isolated areas in the larger aftermath. "I trust you have brought your weapons, just in case?"

Jand would never be caught without his equipment.

"At the time, the abysmal brawl had been the focus, and I wasn't able to ask about the sandwich you had," Jand answered, his gray eyes flicked over to Jasper, looking at the taller Jedi. "And more recently I have been trying to... reach out to others, to be more approachable as an individual, rather than a Nagai. This resulted in my interest in the sandwich, where I mentioned it at Beltrix Three..."

Still, there remained one question:

"You mentioned you couldn't recall the contents of the sandwich... does this mean we will need to visit multiple vendors, to find the one? I am not opposed, credits are no issue. Just another curiosity, I suppose."

Jand felt his small talk had improved considerably.

Coruscant, 1313

"I wouldn't be surprised if some combat engagements were still on-going," Jand said, as he considered the mention of the battle between gangs that had been reported. It had been a very recent event, if not still actively proceeding in small isolated areas in the larger aftermath. "I trust you have brought your weapons, just in case?"

"Of course," Jasper nodded. "I'm familiar with the undercity. You wouldn't catch me unarmed down here."

Thankfully, his garb had always been rather unsuspecting. Jasper had never been a fan of the common Jedi robes anyways. Far too formal for his likings, and he could never find himself a set without the sleeves. Jand mentioned that much of his curiosity came from the fact that he had been unable to ask what was in the sandwich the day that he met, and he wanted to start forming connections. He wanted to be a more approachable individual, which Jasper understood, even if he wasn't Nagai. The padawan had grown up isolated, and he had been afraid of social interaction for the longest time. Interaction and approachability hadn't come naturally too him. It had taken effort to break out of that shell.

"Well, this is a good place to start," he stated. " The best way to learn is to jump in feet first. I... admit that I also struggled with interaction for a time, but you get used to it after a while. Time and patience and all that."

"You mentioned you couldn't recall the contents of the sandwich... does this mean we will need to visit multiple vendors, to find the one? I am not opposed, credits are no issue. Just another curiosity, I suppose."

"Yeah, that's most likely the case," Jasper confirmed with a frown. "You don't need to worry about credits though. I've been down here for a while. There's methods of exchange that ya don't need credits for, if you know the people."

Street bartering. Jasper had become somewhat of a pro at it in his time down here. He was always tinkering, so there was never a shortage of things to barter with. Sometimes, as credits of the standard amount did the people down here very little and because everyone was poor, bartering could even be preferred. You just had to know what it was that people needed.

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

It was good that Jasper was realistic about the lower levels on Coruscant.

Were the other Jedi not armed, Jand would have suggested they remedy that before proceeding. Yet, it wasn't a problem, clearly. As it was, the Nagai watched the crowds carefully, he knew that - despite the less conspicuous clothing - they could very well be the target of pickpockets or gangsters; there seemed little to determine how the criminal element made choices on marks, but folly for them if they picked on two Jedi.

"I am not so concerned about my ability to interact, as my connection with others," Jand clarified, as he glanced to his companion for the excursion. "My people tend to be very blunt. A duel to the death communicates as much as a conversation, in essence. So I am trying to move beyond those more instinctual responses."

It was interesting to know that Jasper had struggled also, though perhaps for different reasons.

"Time and patience seems to be the answer to a lot. Especially within the Jedi Order."

Jand smirked.

When Jasper mentioned the process of elimination to find the sandwich, Jand nodded. He saw the logic in it. Though, when it came to the mention of credits, the Nagai raised an eyebrow.

"You are not the first to mention no need to worry about credits," Jand said simply. "Others have said the same. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps I appear poorly or lacking in credit funds? Or perhaps I place too much emphasis on them? I was to understand that the galaxy functioned on credits... but I am curious as to what you imply with methods of exchange."

Interesting.

Coruscant, 1313

"Credits aren't the only thing that have value down here," Jasper informed him when the Nagai asked about these 'other methods of exchange.' "Most people in the undercity don't have much credit to their name in the first place. Twenty-something credits for a meal, in the long term, doesn't give as much value as a lot of the top-siders would like you to believe. There's an unspoken barter system amongst businesses down here. Exchanging goods is far more efficient then just taking credits. That and nobody comes down here to regulate business very often, so there aren't any real repercussions for bypassing the galactic economy. All the real money is made upstairs after all."

As crime ridden as this place could be, Jasper couldn't help but hold respect for the way of life in the underbelly. From their point of view, the government intended to ensure their safety and prosperity had forgotten about them. Still, in spite of this, they continued to conduct their lives in highly resourceful ways given their financial and situational restrictions. Not everyone took the time to recognize that. Eventually, they had come up on their first deli, a joint named Lugo's. Jasper made his way up to the open bar, drawing some items from his pocket. Two stimpaks and a droid battery. Nothing expensive, but items with quantifiable value. The Rodian woman behind the counter was quick to snatch them up before asking for their order.

"Two of the house special," Jasper answered before turning back to Jand. "See? Pretty straight forward. I prefer to do things this way anyways. There's such a thing as being over reliant on credits. In my opinion, anyways."

Before long their order was out. Jasper lead Jand to a nearby table, where he promptly sat down.

"From the sounds of it," he began, "You seem to still have a tie back to your culture. How'd you end up joining the Jedi? If you don't mind me asking."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

Jand listened as Jasper began to outline the specifics regarding credits, or rather the lack of need for them. At least in the undercity of Coruscant. The Nagai suspected the notion of bartering and services rendered described was more attributed to their location, rather than a universal system. Although, Jand wasn't exactly knowledgeable about many other worlds or cultures, so it remained to be seen...

"So those in the undercity can determine the value of their own wares, without the need to rely on a galactic market or trade values," Jand nodded, as he felt the idea came across well. "That certainly allows freedom for the population on these lower levels. Hopefully the corporations on the surface will leave well enough alone."

The first place they visited was operated by a Rodian. Jand always found the aliens interesting, especially with the speckles of light in their eyes. He wondered if that allowed Rodians to see into other spectrums, or if it was just a mundane characteristic of the species. Between the exchange of goods, however, didn't seem to be the right time to ask, and the sandwich maker did seem a little busy, so Jand put it on his 'to ask' mental note.

"I see," Jand nodded as he observed Jasper's items and then the two house specials. "What happens if both cannot agree on the value of the other's items? Does the transaction end?"

The Nagai followed the other, and sat down at a table to eat.

"I do, yes," Jand said in response to Jasper's query about the connection to culture. "As a Nagai, my clan and personal honor will always be my priority, before everything else. That said, I am the first of my clan to be Force sensitive, and my clan were unable to provide what I needed to learn of the power... this resulted in the decision to seek out the Jedi Order."

Jand looked down to the sandwich as he began to unwrap it. He sniffed the item, then took a bite. It was pleasant enough.

"I do not mind being asked questions. However, I ask you the same - how did you come to join the Jedi?"

Coruscant, 1313

Jasper_divider_2.0.png

"What happens if both cannot agree on the value of the other's items? Does the transaction end?"

"The value of trade is sort of arbitrary," Jasper shrugged, "But there's sort of an unspoken agreement down here on what's worth what. A couple droid parts can get you a meal, but they aren't gonna be the same value as a blaster or a scomp tool. And if an agreement isn't reached, things can get... violent. But that's just how it goes down here."

Before long they had their meals. As Jasper sank his teeth into his sandwich, Jand inquired about how Jasper had wound up with the Jedi order. That was a long story.

"Since birth," he explained. "I was created from the genetic material of another Jedi. He left me on the doorstep of the temple and went off into exile and I grew up here. The rest is the usual."

Jasper didn't know what it was like to have a culture or people outside of the Jedi. He could only imagine what departing from his home was like, especially with how connected Jand was to the customs of his people. The padawan could certainly theorize what it must be like, but there was really no way to know for sure himself. It just wasn't an experience he could ever have. In the meantime, it was time he thought on the sandwich...

"I don't think this is the place," Jasper concluded after taking a bite. "The bread was a little sweeter, and had more of a spongey texture."

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer.png

Jasper clearly knew his share, when it came to the underbelly of Coruscant.

In some ways it was refreshing, Jand supposed, to see such a new and unique method of lifestyle on the city world. It was no secret that the Nagai had been isolated for much of his upbringing, he openly told others as much, and sought more information on practically anything. The comparison from droid parts to weapons or complex tools made some kind of sense, though the prospect of violence did caused Jand's grey eyes to glint.

"I see," Jand said with a nod, as he also took another bite of the sandwich. It tasted decent on further chewing. "I suspect most would not bother with a violent disagreement over food? That seems more appropriate to larger, more important dealings?"

Jand could have been wrong.

Nonetheless, the Padawan listened and ate, as Jasper started to tell his brief story. There wasn't too much shared that was uncommon, save the mention of being created from genetic material, and that factoid caused Jand to raise his eyebrows. He swallowed his mouthful and asked:

"Do you know who the Jedi was, the one you are made from? Or where your creator exiled himself?"

Curious.

When Jasper seemed to consider the sandwich wrong, Jand nodded and set his down.

"I see no point in finishing, if we are to taste more sandwiches, do you know which venue we should visit next?" Jand said as he stood and collected his items, to place them in the appropriate trash depository. "Also, I have noticed your markings on your arm in the past... do they hold significance to you?"

Coruscant, 1313

Jasper_divider_2.0.png

"You'd be surprised," Jasper shrugged. "People can get pretty heated over something as simple as a meal. Not everyone can go into situations with the same rationality the Jedi expect."

He had been threatened for less, frankly. Not much surprised him down here. With cartels and gangsters running unchecked, that's just how things were.

"Do you know who the Jedi was, the one you are made from? Or where your creator exiled himself?"

"I do," he responded. "Dude's dead now, but he was hiding out on Dantooine. Guess he wasn't really bothered by the Empire, or was unbothered cause he was old. Jastile was his name. Didn't know him. We spoke once and that was pretty much it."

Now the question was where to go next. He had to think about that one for a minute. Where had he been before the 'fight club'?

"I think there's a deli a few blocks from here," Jasper recalled. "Florbo's... something or other. I'll know it when I see it." His head cocked ever so slightly at the mention of his tatooes. "Oh, these? Had'em since I was... made, I guess. Probably a chain code. At least, that's my best idea-"

Jasper was cut off by the sound of blaster fire, followed by the shouting of startled civilians. The familiar rumbling of swoop bikes began to echo throughout the streets just beyond the glass of the deli's front window.

"Oh great," the young Jedi scowled. "Looks like the hooligans' from a few days ago are back. Well... duty comes first I suppose."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom