Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Striving to Achieve

Metis nodded her understanding. “Of Course Master, emotions in battle can be at times a distraction”

Metis felt embarrassed by her Masters apology, her training with the Handmaidens, was relatively strict and formal, like much of life at court on Naboo. There were protocols, etiquette, propriety. Particularly in regards to rank. The idea of someone of higher rank let alone a mentor apologising to her was an anathema.

“No need to apologise Master. I wasn’t questioning your intent. I was just trying to assure you that I knew of the risks.”

Metis prided herself on her discipline. It was as crucial opponent to both Nubian and Echani ways . Emotions and combat were dangerous without proper application of discipline and control. In fact one couldn’t learn how to fight in combat without due discipline, if only during training exercises. Any decent warrior required hours of training each day to own and master their craft. Going through movements, kata’s, sparring. All in the daily life of any warrior- of any Jedi worth the name.

Metis listened to her Masters instructions with intent. Considered it and acknowledged the wisdom to what he said. Predictability in combat could get you killed. If she were to fight any Sith which as her Master said was likely she would have to use unexpected tactics. When it came to lightsabre combat from what she had read. Sith received much the same training as Jedi only if anything more lethal and usually without honour.

“I understand Master. I wouldn’t want to be predictable in battle against anyone let alone a Sith.”

Metis smiled in amusement as her Master compared combat to Sabaak. While by no means and expert she understood the basic principles of the game. Using psychology as much as what you’d been dealt or have in reserve to win the game.

"I understand the principles of the game, though I am hardly an expert"

Metis frowned in concentration as Master Dragonsflame commanded her to attack. Keeping in mind the advice he had just gave she kept her emotions in check and tried to think up a strategy of moves to catch him off guard.

Metis launched herself at her opponent with a thrust, before spinning on her feet like a ballet dancer and flicking her wrist in an arc to change the thrust from aiming at centre mast to going for nick of the throat. She didn’t over commit the blow relying on the speed and accuracy. As well as the fact that if the blow landed she would need to stop it in time before it pierced the skin or worst an artery. Metis knew that it would only take a pound of pressure to pierce the skin.

Josh Dragovalor Josh Dragovalor

He smiled lightly as she drew her blade. He waited patiently for her to attack first, waiting until the last moment before gingerly hopping back, tapping his lightsaber's tip to the side of hers to restrict her from attacking again too soon. “There is a time and place for everything. Makashi involves getting your opening and then putting on the pressure, keeping the advantage firmly in your corner in a lightsaber duel. While this is an experiment…"

Suddenly the emotions flew. Powerful feelings of excitement and passion for the fight coursed through him as he channeled his passions to aggressively bat her lightsaber back, attacking with a flurry of blows aiming at every which way, every body part on her upper body he could aim at, though focusing more often than not on the shoulders. The moment the aggressive flurry ended, he hopped back and let out an exhale, bringing himself back to base as he circled her.

"This I think might be where that time and place holds merit... Where you can channel that emotion and fight the way you know well. Just make sure to keep an awareness of where you are at all times. Learn to know when the advantage is lost and when to change track. Your opponent shouldn’t be able to predict you until you’re already on top of them. Keep them guessing until then.”

Metis Athena Elpis Metis Athena Elpis

Metis was trying to concentrate on combat while her Master delivered instructions. Keep up the advantage. She was suddenly put on the defensive as Master Dragonsflame unleashed a torrent of flurry strikes. Metis reacted on instinct and struggled to keep up. High guard, low guard, mid thrust, parry, reposte. One move flowing into the next, an endless stream of moves going streamlessly into the next. From an outsiders perspective it would appear almost like a dance, like high end choreography, you only saw on production holo vids.

Metis felt the flow of the force move through her, guiding her actions. Metis also felt her own emotions start to rise. The thrill of the fight, the joy of battle, the adrenaline of risk. Metis did her best to start and stay in a meditative state, as her training focused on.

Metis heard her Master’s advice as if from a distance or the way one would when listening to an audio device you weren’t concentrating on. Like when she was studying and had on her favourite track.

She channelled the emotions and by extension one step further to that of the Force. She was dimly aware of where she was and whom she was fighting. Metis recognised that she was getting lost in the cadence of the duel.

She struggled to hone in on her emotions, her abilities to concentrate and be mindful of her situation. Metis reigned in what she was doing and feeling, pirouetted and broke off contact, settling in a mid guard stance.

“It… is difficult to show restraint in battle, particularly once you have gotten into a rhythm. Master”

He smiled softly at her words and nodded his head. "I understand. Especially with your culture, it might be a little harder. But you'll do fine, I'm sure. Just keep calm. Being a Jedi isn't about suppressing your emotions and your feelings, as some people might tell you we're supposed to, based off Old Republic Jedi creeds" He explained as he gingerly continued to circle her, waiting for an opening to try and break her mid-guard.

"It's about controlling it. Use it when it's right, and don't when it's not. Being a Jedi on the field of battle is about being in complete control of yourself and your actions. You bring up rhythm... Indeed this is a dance. Consider this a dance with a tempo, a rhythm that you control. You dictate it. Make this -your- dance, Metis. And to do that, you need to remain calm and in control of what you do, your movements and your pace. There is a time and place for everything... Does that make sense?" He inquired.

While the battle was at a stalemate, he contemplated either letting her make the next move, or to see if there was a chance that in the stalemate, she would drop her guard.

Metis focused on her breathing as she tried to maintain balance, an almost meditative state, while still being aware of her surroundings, location, her own physicality trying to relax her muscles so as to be able to move rapidly within a moment of it being required.

Metis nodded in understanding at her Masters words. It was about control. Control of oneself allows you to control the conflict and the combat against your opponent. Metis frowned in consideration at her Masters words. Make it her rhythm, her tempo her dance. It was how she was taught to consider not only fighting, but many other aspects of her life. From strategy to politics, being able to sense the rhythm of the task, being able to read her opponent and respond with agility. Whether it was a physical task or a mental task. Block, reply, strike at their weakness.

While this was going on in her mind Metis had been holding a centre guard, maintain awareness of where she was. It was multitasking at the highest level, another aspect of her training.

Metis pivoted on her feet her right foot leading on her toes, while her left foot centred on her back foot providing support and allowing her to shift in direction or step back or forward as necessary. Metis launched her lightsaber in a thrust, allowing her wrist to be firm but fluid to parry into a riposte if required.

He allowed his words to take their effect and allowed her to make the first move. He waited carefully, patiently as he watched her make her move. Now that he had given her instruction, it was time to start the dance for real this time.

Josh struck roughly when she did, slapping her lightsaber to the side before moving inward, unleashing an aggressive myraid of blows that mainly targeted her arms and wrists, forcing her to dart her lightsaber in the way. He was intending to try and wear her down, as after a few blows he would spin to the side and strike once with a sideways slice, aimed at her shoulder. Hit or not, he cooled himself down as he darted to a sliding position and moved to behind her, aiming another slash at her back as he tried to keep her on the defensive.

While the intention was to tire her as a combat strategy, he also wanted to test her ability to keep her cool and keep focused when she needed to be, even when the opponent was being aggressive.

Metis stayed light on her feet as she was put on the defensive, turning her wrists constantly, maintaining the right bend in her elbows so as to maintain a constantly moving barrier, blocking her masters onslaught of rapid strikes. Metis was hard pressed to keep up, concentrating almost entirely on defense. Metis fell in to the rhythm of the fight. Which proved to be a mistake as a spinning side swipe grazed her shoulder. Metis gritted her teeth at the zap she felt. While not particularly painful or even creating a wound, it was frustrating as the zap proved an effective reminder and lesson.

Metis didn’t have time to dwell on it as suddenly her master was behind her. Acting instinctively Metis ducked and rolled forward out of range. Spinning to her feet in a defensive guard. Metis was frustrated but reminded herself to steady her breathing as she studied, her opponents body language preparing for the next strike or flurry.

Metis frustration boiled over. Enough of playing defense. Metis launched a thrust at centre mass, twisted her attack at the last second to aim for a sun djem or cho mai disarmament.

The wound she suffered, as small as it was, seemed to strike a nerve. While she steadied her breathing, it didn't take long for her frustrations to boil over. He recognized the technique she was about to attempt as well, and he would frown as he brought his saber up just in time to avoid it. While he frowned upon the ending, she had overall grasped the point of the lesson, which constituted a success. He motioned for her to back up, and he did the same.

“Good. I think you’re starting to get it down. Keeping your calm to weather the storm, then allowing emotions to flow after waiting for an opportunity to counterattack. I think we can wrap up for today” He spoke up as he deactivated his lightsaber.

“I do have one major piece of advice though. You used frustration at the end, I could sense it easily enough. You remember my lecture earlier about how emotions can be a weakness for the Sith? This is why. Yes, frustration, anger, hate, all very strong emotions… All capable of making one powerful. But the thing that makes it a weakness? Once you let it flow enough… You can’t control it. It controls you. Which in your case, would completely throw off your strategy. Or in your case... Cause you to act out the way you did. Jedi should only resort to dismemberment when they absolutely have to, no other choice, and even then it's still frowned upon for the lasting effects. It's just not something we do, you know?

Most importantly... When you are under pressure is the most important time of any that you are meant to stay calm.”

He smiled gently. Sure, she had gone for a dismemberment out of frustration -- very poor form for a Jedi. But he didn't see use in scolding her when she had gotten the idea of the lesson down so far. So all he did was remind her of what was good, what was bad, and what needed to be done.

“Luckily there are alternatives that are easier to control. While you can certainly find something that works for you… Mine is passion. Perhaps not in the same way the old Code talks about, mind you… I think about this place, this Order, what I do… The people I want to save. The students I want to teach. And how much I yearn to keep doing so. I think about my partner at home, and my son, Jason… And how passionately I want to make this galaxy better for them, so I can raise Jason in peace. So he doesn’t have to train himself in the Force to hide, or to defend himself, as I have. My passion is what I fight for… And I channel that and let it fuel me when the time is right.”

He clasped his hands together. “Your homework will be simple. Consider what you can channel efficiently. As someone who’s studied the Echani arts, this might not actually be hard. So I want you to also consider timing. When is the right time to be calm, when is the right time to channel these things?

With that in mind, before we wrap up, I want to know your own opinion. Does this seem compatible with your current style? This gives me a chance to go back to the drawing board for next time if I need to.”

Metis grunted almost groaned as they paused in their combat. She was frustrated, that much was obvious even to herself. The problem was she was frustrated with herself. Metis prided herself on being a star pupil, both in academia and in more physical training. Even as a child she had shown a competitive streak with something as simple as dancing. In many ways Metis herself was her harshest critic. Any time she failed, or even came second she took it personally.

Metis steadied her breathing as Master Dragonsflame delivered his own critique. Metis blushed in embarrassment as she was reprimanded for allowing her emotions to bleed through at the end. Metis agreed with the reprimand. In addition to having a highly comepetitive streak and desire to succeed in whatever she did, Metis recognised the need that knowledge and power were only so useful if you didn’t add important factors such as wisdom and discipline. All of the above was crucial as an Operative, particularly Jedi.

Metis felt a flush of guilt as she realised she had resorted to an extreme method when she had attempted to disarm her opponent. Though she felt some confusion as well. She recognised that Jedi as a rule, tried not to cause harm even to their enemies if they could avoid it.

Metis frowned in thought.

Metis listened patiently as her Master described his motives and principles. Metis recognised the personal nature he had with his actions. A clear driving force behind his beliefs, why he fights and who he fights for.

Metis was unsure if she had anything close to that conviction. She had political views of course. Equal rights, Medical availability, right to choose ones own lifestyle, protection of life and to fight those who would oppress or reign tyranny. But all of those were relatively general beliefs. Metis driving force was as she had just been reflecting, succeeding in acadamia and combat. To excel herself to the limit. Gain knowledge power and skill, hopefully to serve the good of people in general, but ultimately to improve herself nonetheless.

“I… am unsure.. I have such convictions. I want to learn, explore and expand my knowledge and skill. Hopefully to help people as much as possible… but I lack.. your passion as you called it.”

Metis came out of her self analysation of her motives concerned. Nonetheless she shook herself out of her reprieve at the word homework. It was one of her favourite words.

“I will meditate on it Master”

Metis considered Master Dragonsflame’s question.

“Master… it’s just… in my previous training both as a Handmaiden and Echani we were taught never to assume an opponent didn’t have lethal intent, especially if they had a weapon. While capturing them if possible was a bonus, it wasn't a priority unless ordered otherwise. If you’re in a lethal combat, to fight to win. In other words to be ruthless.”

“I suppose I’ll have to learn to adapt my fighting skills in restraint further. To follow the Jedi Way”

“So far the training seems compatible Master. As we have noted I need to hone in on not giving in to frustration. I’ll also need to adapt to be less… brutal. I feel with the right training these aspects can be worked on.”

@

He listened carefully, calmly, as she would explain her situation. He pondered it a moment, before he would give the best answer he could. "Well, you want to learn and get better, you strive for excellence... With that goal of helping people being sort of there. Perhaps what you lack is a clear goal. Helping people... Perhaps that's something you can put your focus on. For a Jedi... Striving to be stronger, to be more skilled, to gain knowledge... That is a goal for all of us, but there needs to be a point, right? Something that motivates us to strive that high. That desire to help people may just be what you need to focus on to truly move forward."

He shrugged his shoulders. "My reasons are not only personal either. It's true that I fight for the sake of my family, but... I also fight so that other people can one day have the peace that I seek for myself. Letting monsters like those in the Sith Empire, or even just your run of the mill gang run roughshod, destroying lives... If I were not a Jedi and capable of defending myself, but I still had my family, they wouldn't be safe, would they? I have watched... So many lives be destroyed. Just recently there was that business on Eshan, from the same kinds of monsters I fight. I fight to prevent things like this again."

He cocked his head. "Something I learned during my time as a slave..." He trailed off. That was not a subject he brought up very often. It was a touchy subject. But if it would help...

He would pull down the collar of his robes to reveal a scar on his neck, that looked like it had been from the lasting imprint of a spiked collar.

"... Is that if we don't go out of our way to help those people, protect those people, save those people... There aren't many others who will. So that's my motivation. That's what keeps me training. That's what keeps me striving for excellence. That gets me out of bed, and keeps me away from my family so that even if I am risking myself... There are a lot of Jasons out there who won't be without their families because I did. And to make sure that happens... Even as a Master I continue to strive for knowledge, strive to be strong, strive to improve in every way I can. That is what has gotten me this far. It did before I had my family... And will until my last day."

A motivation. Something to will one forward, something to guide them... That was the key to true passion.

"As for your past Echani training..." He trailed off. "It makes sense. They taught you to fight and to defend yourself in the most effective way possible. They wouldn't have thought of teaching you how to prepare for the sorts of situations that Jedi get into. But while it is right to treat every fight seriously... Remember that not everyone you fight is going to be a monster. Jedi are not always seen as heroes or saviors or anything like that. Some fear us. And some may even strike out from that fear... Or be manipulated to be by the monsters we fight. Some have their own backgrounds. Some have reasons for fighting that don't make them monsters."

He let out a sigh. "Thing is, we don't always know. So crippling everyone we fight is not ideal. Being a Jedi isn't easy. If it were as simple as just killing or crippling everything that stands in our way, well... We have the firepower, perhaps our job would be done by now. But if we do that, then we're not really that different from the Sith, are we?

On top of that, there's always the chance that someone can make a change in their life. Take off an arm on a bandit, you might well rob him of a way to provide for his family in a more honest way. Prosthetics are expensive, after all. Not everyone can afford them."

He had talked long. He was a little winded. But if it helped, then he was happy. She was the type to want to know everything about a subject that she could. Giving her knowledge of just what she was trying to figure out might be the best way to help her through it.

"Does that help your understanding at all?"

Metis was anxious at her confession of her militant mindset, she hoped Master Dragonsflame wouldn’t be judgemental of her previous training experience. Metis would need to adjust her thinking and her training to be that of the Jedi Way. That thought just occurred to her as Master Dragonsflame gave his advice. Too fight to help people, to fight with a purpose. Metis saw the good in that, though she wasn’t sure she could live such a pure life.

Metis wasn’t intentionally callous about life or its value, her Nubian side respected all life, but to her Echani side combat was combat.

“The way I was trained, what I had fought for, looked out for, was your planet, your queen, your mission, your fellow comrades and yourself. In that order.”

Metis gathered her thoughts.

“There are always more monsters, to fight whether they be Sith or even the more recent rumours of the Brynáduls genocides. Even the Echani a strong society of warriors can be defeated as you just mentioned. Living my life one military combat at a time… is a dangerous path. I recognise that”

Metis glanced up with shock as her Master divulged his past of being a slave. It was brave for him to admit it, most warriors liked to think of themselves that they would die rather than be captured or turned into a slave. Too admit that you had been one would be viewed by some as a weakness. Personally Metis just admired Master Dragonsflame more, it took a greater strength to survive such an experience, especially with the result of being as benevolent and generous as he was. If he could look at combat with care for his enemy after going through such trauma, shouldn’t she strive to do the same?

"Thank you for sharing that Master. I know it can't have been easy to say let alone to live through it , your brave to have survived it and lived to tell of it"

The idea of being concerned your enemy’s well being was… difficult. Metis frowned in consideration.

"As a handmaiden we were taught diplomacy was always preferred, but once negotiations turned to aggressive negotiations, victory and survival were paramount."

“Sparing someone in combat, someone trying to end your own life... that is… a difficult concept to accept. The idea that your opponent might have a livelihood at all after the battle at all is…alarming to say the least. To have empathy and sympathy for an enemy to the point that they might have a family one day in the future… I’m not sure I should do that in combat… it seems like a distraction at best a potentially fatal one at that”

Metis tried to adjust her feelings to meet her Master half way.

“The way I was taught. You could be expected to respect an opposing combatants, skill and ability, in fact that was crucial to survival. One could respect there courage and honour if they had it. One could even strategically look at a battlefield or even a war with the objective in mind that peace was the desired aim after the war was won. That was a key facet of Naboo philosophy, they would have wiped out the Gungans millenia ago if it wasn’t. The Echani part of me can’t help but think cynically that the only strategic advantage of ending a war was to put Eshan, my people in a position of strength and power.”

Metis sighed with resignation.

“Of course the Echani way may have had something to do with their recent plight. At the very least their reputation makes them a target. At worst their isolationist militant policy makes them vulnerable”

Metis considered the philosophical conundrum.

“The Echani part of me might be able to discipline myself to live for the mission. The Nubian part of myself could live for the betterment of others. Perhaps there was a way for the two parts of her to be reconciled, to find a balance with her two sides, within myself.”

“Balance? Wasn’t that the goal of all Jedi?”

“My mission is to help others, not just through combat, but through knowledge as well. Mission parameters including helping those I fight.”

“I think I may be able to live by those guidelines Master.”

His past was what it was. If it could be used to help his pupils and thus help others from suffering the same fate -- then so be it. After she had finished thinking on it and seemed amenable to the idea of trying these tenants, he slowly nodded his head. She had said a lot, and it was a lot to take in. But he did try and address all of it as he could.

"Thinking of all, whether they be friend or foe, and only taking life or taking away means to life when there is no other choice. That's our job. Being a Jedi has never been easy, and it doesn't get any easier. To be a Jedi is to take on a burden, a challenge, yet a necessary one. Our job is to bring a compassion to the table just as strong as our blades, that others will not. Someone needs to stand up and do so, or nobody will. That's us. That's our role. To protect, even when we are misunderstood. To protect, even when we are pushed against the wall. Even if we can't guide the rest of the galaxy to better times, at least we can make things better for some people that need help. With the hope that a lot of little things will one day lead to bigger things."

He smiled softly. "It's true that it's a burden, might even seem a distraction. Balancing all of that is far from easy. But that's why we train. We train to overcome it. For a Jedi known for their compassion is a better Jedi than the greatest bladesman of all time. Course, being good with a sword so the extra baggage doesn't weigh you down, helps a bit" he remarked with a small laugh. "But it sounds like you get the gist of it. Putting all those philosophies of yours together into one, to form a whole."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom