Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Striving to Achieve.

Metis read through the the datapads entry for what seemed like the dozenth time, making new notes as she did so.

Although predominately a human based culture and society, there have been references and examples, of other species being adopted or in some cases pressed into service by Mandalorians. As long as an individual followed the Resol'nare they were widely and usually accepted into Mandalorian life. .According to the Resol'nare the primary Six Tenants of Mandalorians are: Education and armor, Self-defense, our tribe, Our language and our leader—All help us survive.

The Resol'nare consisted of wearing armor, speaking the Mandalorian language, defending oneself along with one's family, contributing to the welfare of your clan, rallying to the Mand'alor when summoned, and raising one's children in the Mandalorian ways.

Although further sub divisions and conflicts within Mandalorian culture exist. Most notably the divisions of Death Watch and True Mandalorians, as well as frequent conflicts between Clans. As long as one obeyed the Resol'nare's tenants they were and are considered Mandalorian.

Metis finished her thoughts on the basis of Mandalorians and considered adding more to it, particularly in regards to their distincitve armo and infamous Beskar metallurgic alloy. Then Metis noticed the time.

"Blast it!" Metis leaped from her seat in the Archives. "I'm late. My first lessons are today and I'm already late".

Today was to be her first lesson in being attuned to the Force. For although Metis had always had a sense of it, it forever seemed slightly out of reach, when she did feel contact with it it was sparing out best. The fact that the Jedi Master who had recruited her had dissapeared or possibly exiled (some sort of dissagreement within the Order) only added to the anxiousness Metis felt.

Metis ran along the corridors until she found the designated meditation room.

"I'm sorry I'm late Master, I was Studying and lost track of time" Metis paused realising that sounded like a made up excuse. "No really, I really was studying. You can check the Archives I Swear!"

Metis realised she was babbling and stopped awkwardly.

[member="Josh Dragonsflame"]

"There's no need to make an excuse or justify it to me. I'm sure you were using your time for whatever end might best suit your training in the long run."

He had stopped her before she could make anymore excuses, after the initial rambling. She had shown up, and wasn't terribly late. So it was no big deal, and he had found something to do in the meanwhile. For she had caught him in the middle of sitting on the floor trying to build a droid.

It was still in the early stages, but it had been a good reason to stop procrastinating on it and actually work on it seeing as she was late. He would have to go back to his ship to continue had he gotten very far, but this early he was able to just use the tools he kept on-hand.

"Studying to enrich the mind... Or recreation to rest it. It matters not the reason, so long as it was useful. And so long as you don't keep me waiting -too- long. Or I would have just left."

Placing his tools and in-progress droid to the side of the room, he dusted himself off to face her.

"Before we begin, tell me a bit about yourself."

[member="Metis Athena Elpis"]

“Oooh umm well I’m former Handmaiden of Naboo, my father is a Professor at the University of Theed. I have knowledge of Engineering, Anthropology, which includes quite a few cultures of the Galaxy, though I need to brush up on my history.”

Metis stumbled as she tried to think of anything else she could talk about herself. She had always been more than a little socially awkward, something that had halted her advancement in Naboo politics and social circles. Though it hadn’t prevented her advancement in other areas.

“I’ve been a Handmaiden since I was 12, I’ve studied Echani and Teras Sai Martial Arts with an emphasis on unarmed and blade work styles. I have knowledge of most firearms including Slugthrowers. My favourite Blasters would be in DC series, though my preferred projectile weapons would be Verpine Shatter Rifles. I am a capable pilot, I enjoy Nubian models of course but also enjoy tinkering with standard freighter models from the Correllian Engineering Company”

Metis realised that she had effectively described herself as a militant know it all. She hurried to address her mistake.

“I have been involved in diplomatic, relief and aid mission to several worlds as well. Often being in charge of the logistics of such missions”

Metis paused.

“I was recruited to the SJO by Master Matsu… before her.. disagreement with the council. Not that I have any resentment to the Order for that. They Generously offered a place here to study until I found my way in the world”

An Echani Handmaiden? That was most certainly a surprise. They were rare in the known galaxy as far as he knew. He would have to find time to ask questions about the matter later seeing as she had piqued his interest. She was also from Naboo it seemed. That made him smile gently.

“I was raised on Naboo for a bit” He admitted. Technically he had multiple planets he could call home, but Naboo was the only one he could remember vividly.

“I was also friends with the late Queen Feena. If you see the family again, give them my continued condolences and support.”

He was also half Echani, but that didn’t seem like it mattered worth mentioning. As Kat indicated, while he had copied some techniques and aspects of their hand to hand fighting style, he did not fight like an Echani. He did not think like an Echani, he did not live like an Echani. So did it matter at all that he was Echani by blood?
Though it did allow him to notice one thing. Her hair – unlike most full blooded Echani, especially the ones who became handmaidens, her hair was brown instead of the customary silver and white. Josh’s own hair was blonde, but he was only a halfling. And his hair was still lighter than his father’s despite inheriting his hair coloring over his mother’s, so he was surprised that there was no influence he could see in her appearance at all. Had she not told him, he would have never guessed her for Echani.
She had quite a bit of experience behind her. He was curious just how much of it would suit her on the field. Most experience was good experience, though. Though he frowned when she brought up Master Ike, and he bowed his head slightly.

“It’s unfortunate, what happened. And while I doubt it will make you feel any better… The methods and code of ethics presented by Master Ike have been against the ways of the Jedi long before the time of the Silvers. It was not something we wanted to do, but… It was necessary” He spoke up. “Master Ike was my Master, so it wasn’t easy, to say the least. But I hope at the least, my own history will allow me to teach you in a way that is at least somewhat familiar to you.”

He decided to start with questions, from there.

“If I may… Your hair. You mentioned being Echani? Or was it just the training? Echani Handmaidens, who are typically full-blooded are usually ashen haired.”

This did have a practical reason, of course, for him asking. She was not his only Echani student, should she be one. Kat knew the Echani fighting style better than he did, she might be able to assist in her teachings. At the least, Josh would know right away to accommodate for her just as he had been trying to for Kat.

Metis smiled when the Master revealed he was from Naboo and had known Queen Feena.

“I will Master”

Metis was relieved that she had met something who had some experience being raised on Naboo. Metis was grateful for the training the Silver Jedi Order offered, she was also more than a little homesick. She missed her father and the university of Theed. She even missed her mother despite the fact that they had always had more than a little contension within their relationship with one another.

Metis focused back to the present as Master Dragonsflame addressed Master Ike’s dismissal from the order. The few interactions Metis had had with Master Ike had been pleasant if a little formal, though she suspected that was the norm for most beginning Master-Padawan relationships. She couldn’t speak to the methods and ethics of her briefly former master, but she was sure that the council had had there reasons for their decision.

“Of course Master, I’m sure the Council had there reasons.”

Metis grimaced as her Echani heritage was called into question. Metis had been raised by her mother an Echani Handmaiden who had come to Naboo to train the Naboo Handmaidens, not dissimilar to a Teachign Exchange Program at the University. Although Metis had always strived to achieve, and had sought to make her parents proud, the strict regime of training her Mother had put her through had caused more than one argument. Still Metis had followed in her mothers footsteps as best she could by becoming a Naboo Handmaiden. Evantually her mother had accepted Metis needed to follow her own path, and Metis suspected her mother had even arranged for Metis coming to the attention of the Silver Jedi.

“My hair comes from my father. My mother is an Echani Maiden, Master she taught me everything she knew about being a Handmaiden. She had come to Naboo to study and train the Naboo order of Handmaidens, and had met my father a professor at the Theed University. She stayed on Naboo as a councillor and trainer for the Naboo Royal Household of Handmaidens. She taught me Echani Martial Arts and Philosophy, though I myself don’t always agree with the latter, the former is quite effective.”

Metis instinctively chafe at any society that was inherently bias against anyone else. Including Matriarchal ones, as much as she did patriarchal or xenophobic philosophy’s. If Metis was being honest with herself, she found more than one thing to agree with Echani philosophy. She did find more grace with the use of bladework over blaster fire, and although she was only half Echani, Metis found elegance in the Echani combat ability to read or almost communicate through fighting. It had been more than one occaision that Metis and her mother had communicated during their arguments, although it was another matter to say that it had helped to resolve said arguments.

Listening intently, he thought back a moment on his decision to immediately ask new Padawans form more information about themselves in their first session with him. It had been a new, experimental practice. He was still debating whether it was a waste of time, or valuable insight that would be able to better his teaching by leaps and bounds. Thus far, as he listened to the Echani speak, he felt as though the experiment had gone quite well. He was able to gleam quite a bit of information on the Padawan, and he was able to at least start on devising just how he wanted to teach her. Of course, this would still pave the way for more questions for him to fire her way. But that was a good thing. The more he could find out about her this early on, the better he would be able to work with her needs and preferences to train her the best way that he possibly could.

So she was Echani, or well, half anyway. But very much, unlike himself, taught in the Echani ways, and as a Handmaiden. Believe it or not, he would probably agree with her when it came to her misgivings about the dated and impractical hierarchy of races such as the Hapans and the Echani. He liked to consider himself living proof after all, of what an Echani man could do.

“A Halfling, then. Neat” He responded, before deciding to give a curt answer as to his inner debate earlier, deciding that with her absence of proper figures, something to relate to may be of use to her. “Same” He spoke casually, before he moved on.

“I have an Echani Padawan who I am attempting to learn the ways of in order to better accommodate for her and other Echani Padawans I might take in. As you are an interesting case, would you be more comfortable with the typical style of training, or would you wish for me to pursue catering more to someone raised in the fighting style of an Echani?” He would inquire. He was nothing if not accommodating, because he knew that going the extra mile could make a huge difference for a Padawan’s future career as a Jedi. It all began at Padawanhood, this was the most important time in her teachings. And he needed to be a big part in that. That was his duty, his responsibility. And he was going to do it as well as he could.

Metis looked at her Master with surprise when he admitted that he himself was half-Echani, or a halfling as he put it. Part of Echani culture was a certain amount of elitism and the frowning of interspecies relations. It wasn’t necessarily the most pronounced of their prejudice, but it was certainly rare enough that it was uncommon to say the least. Personally Metis found it somewhat ironic given the theories that Echani came about as a race and species due to Arkanian genetics scientist.

Metis returned to the present as Master Dragonsflame informed her of his experience with Echani specifically the padawan whose ways he was willing to learn. Metis was further surprised as the Master offered to accommodate her training with an Echani focus.

Metis hesitated as she thought through the idea of what type of training she should focus and proceed on. She did have a basis in Echani martial arts, perhaps it would be beneficial to continue through that training and find a basis or cross between Echani and Jedi training.

On the other hand Metis was dedicated to learning the Jedi ways and perhaps a more traditional approach would be more efficient in the long run. After all if she used her Echani heritage, knowledge and culture it might affect her training in other Jedi arts as well, which could further limit her leaning and knowledge of the Jedi.

Metis frowned at the conundrum, she didn’t have a firm enough grasp of traditional Jedi learning to be able to grasp how her previous experience could either be an advantage or disadvantage, and if it was so either way which aspects they would be.

Metis decided to the best way to learn what those were was to ask.

“Which do you think would be more efficient Master? How would my Echani training enhance or be a detriment to the Jedi arts? Not just saber training or martial fitness, but would it impact my learning of other aspects of being a Jedi such as the Force?”

Metis paused.

“Echani training puts an emphasis on reading body language, but it is also very militaristic in nature. Even Echani art almost always seems to have a martial element.”

Metis added her concerns.

“I imagine such warlike emphasis isn’t in keeping with the Jedi ways, which from what I’ve learnt is much more focused on diplomacy and balance.”

Metis rounded out her query.

“To put simply Master. Which approach to you think would be best?”

Josh was not knowledgeable of the elitist aspects of Echani culture not their frowning upon half-breed Echani. And even if he was, it wouldn't matter to him. He was who he was, and his parents had chosen to love who they wanted. There was no shame in it in his eyes, and those who frowned upon it could keep it to themselves. If they voiced it? Maybe he'd laugh. Maybe he'd go the "militaristic" route the Echani loved so much and slug them between the eyes. We'll just have to see.

Metis would voice her concerns of how the Echani way might conflict with Jedi training, and he supposed he understood her concern. "To be quite honest with you, I'm not sure" He admitted. "My other Padawan, Kat, refuses to even slightly budge on her Echani ways even if they overly rely on emotions and refuse to hide anything from their opponents even when it may be a disadvantage. Yet she is skilled in battle, I can't deny that either. So in the end, I have needed to undertake a project of trying to make it work. I can try the same with you, or teach you in the way I'm used to primarily. Whatever your preference will be, I'll do what I can to try and make it work.

Because at the end of the day, it's about what is best for you. Not what is best for most Jedi."

Metis frowned at her masters answer. She had been hoping for a conclusive answer to her query and more imporatantly to her own uncertainty in particular. Metis thought the problem through the same way she would any other by attempting to go through the potential solutions. She had a strong basis in Echani Handmaiden Combat, it would be wasteful and probably unhelpful not to use it to the best of her ability, particularly given the relative delay in learning the Jedi Arts and that of the Force. Using her knowledge, experience and inherent intuition of her previous training would be beneficial and logical. Therefore despite her own reluctance and mixed feeling on the subject, it was probably best that she use her abilities as best as she was able. Metis sighed and addressed Master Dragonsflame.

“I think it would be best to utilize my Echani Handmaiden training, as best as I… as we are able. I have a strong basis in it and more importantly it could prove difficult to retrain my reflexes and physical abilities to confirm with more traditional Jedi training. Especially given the relative lateness of my training in the Jedi Arts”

Metis answered given voice to her thoughts.

“The Echani Handmaiden training puts an emphasis on body movement and coherence as well as reading an opponent. I’ve always thought it more akin to learning a form of dancing, one well choreographed from one movement to the next… it’s a flow of movement rather than abrupt physical blows or strikes. Ideally it’s a sequence from the first move to the last, ever flowing never stopping until the fight is ended itself.”

Metis described her experience as best as she was able to relate it. Even using words to describe Echani combat was in and of itself anathema, as it was essentially its own language one expressed through body language movement.

“I Hope that helps Master”

@Josh Dragonsflame

He understood that she would be disappointed. And he was ashamed that he had. But unfortunately, the Echani ways were still something he was learning. Much of their custom aligned with the ways of the Force... Yet also conflicted much with the ways of the Jedi. He thought back on his conflict with Kat a moment as he listened to Metis give a briefing on her impression of the Echani style, and made her suggestion. He paced around a bit, considering what had been said.

"My Echani Padawan, I sparred with her in our first class" He admitted as he reflected back on it. "Her battling technique was good. Her reflexes and impulses allowed her to deflect surprise blows. But she relies on and uses her emotions far too much. There is a physical and mental aspect to battle... And one influences the other. She over-used, and overly relied on that emotion. While there is no harm in using it in moderation, even I do it... It made her too easy to read, and were someone to try... Likely too easy to manipulate and make her even more predictable. She disapproved of my keeping myself guarded mentally in order to make myself harder to read and be taken advantage of. While I disapproved of her throwing herself, body and mind both, at her opponents.

But the fact she did manage to guard my attempt to use my refusal to show my hands, to my advantage... Says that there is much to the Echani ways that I do not understand. That is why I posed this question, as there is much I don't know... And I do not yet have an answer as to if the Echani ways can co-exist with the Jedi arts.

But..."

Something about all this had given him an idea, as his pace and footsteps quickened a bit.

"But, but, but... If we were to attempt to do just that... Find a happy medium. Find a way to meet a middle ground and make the two styles compliment one another instead of clash? It might be something we could do."

He stopped and looked to her then.

"What do you think? Would you like to try and find a way to make the two styles work together?"

Metis chewed her lip with minor anxiety and nerves, her face and her heart fell as Master Dragonsflame detailed his experience with the Echani arts in regards to another padawan. Metis was a little crestfallen as it sounded like Master Dragonsflame disapproved of the all in nature of Echani fighting, to throw your skills against another in an all or nothing fight, where in you learnt about your opponently intimately through combat. It sounded like to Metis that such a fighting style was incompatible with the Jedi arts and ways.

Metis chided herself internally. It was foolish to think to believe that somehow the Echani side of her would be compatible or even useful to the ways of the Jedi. She was a padawan now and was expected to learn like one, which meant adjusting what skills, knowledge and abilities she already had, perhaps even abandoning them all together.

Metis head jerked up as Master Dragonsflamme continued with his thought process. A medium! Yes that sounded promising.

“ I would like that very much Master Dragonsflame. It would mean a lot. I do not wish to abandon my Echani training, so if it would at all be possible I would welcome the challenge of combining it with the Jedi arts.”

Metis paused as she considered her next words carefully.

"Älthough I am new here at the Academy and indeed to the Order itself, I have managed to do some research into Jedi combat”

Metis realised she was sounding as if she thought she already knew it, an arrogant little know it all.

“Not that I have practical training of course, Master… just a few articles and essays on the subject, from what I understand the forms Jar’Kai, Makashi and Soresu are the most similar to Echani combat…”

Metis paused as she attempted to explain why she thought that might be the case.

“Echani ritual firebrands are often duel wielded using both hands in conjunction with each other thereby complementing each other, each sword and sword hand in tandem, a link if you will. Which I feel would do well with Jar’Kai”

“Makashi is described as the duelist form designed to fight other swordsmen, it’s emphasis on refinement and bladework as well as engaging an opponent with elegance reminds me of Ecchani philosophy of learning and understanding your opponent through their martial prowess.”

“Soresu is from what I understand of it as a barrier of blade always deflecting and reflecting your opponents attacks whether they be from blaster fire or another swordsmen… I think this would be an area I would need to focus on as I am untrained in deflecting blaster bolts, although I’m quite skilled at ducking and finding cover”

Metis said the last with a wry smile.

“Perhaps if we were to adapt those styles accordingly a medium as you put it could be achieved?”

He didn't disapprove of their methods exactly, nor did he think it was impossible to find a medium. But it certainly wouldn't be easy. "Over-reliance on emotion and throwing oneself at the opponent has been the rise and also the downfall of many Sith. It is their calling card to the point that many have learned to prepare for it. Which is why it is uncommon for Jedi to use it, not to mention how easy it is to become absorbed in that sort of thing."

He listened to the suggestions she had for a medium, and he nodded his head in turn. "Makashi and Jar-Kai are styles that I know very well, and I have the right knowledge of Soresu. I think we can make that work" He agreed. With that, he would hold out a hand toward the rack as two lightsabers flew between his fingers. Tossing them to her, he drew his own lightsaber.

"Shall we start with a practical exercise, then?"

Metis was a little shocked and embarrassed that she was being compared to Sith. Her first combat training session and she was already being described as having a correlation to the Sith. She hastened to correct her master.

“I have no desire to fall to the Dark Side, Master… I didn’t mean to suggest killing was something I’d enjoy” Metis paused in her stammered speech. “I just don’t want to disregard the training I already have”

Metis was relieved to here that her Master was experienced in the styles that she wanted to learn. Metis was fortunate to have such an experienced Master train her. Metis caught the two lightsabers thrown to her on reflex. Getting up Metis did some basic stretches and centred her mind on the discipline required for learning the lightsabre forms. Metis knew that in order to not be consumed by emotions whether they be passion or fear, a disciplined mind was important. As her Master had just said Over reliance on emotion had been the rise and fall of many Sith. A Jedi’s path was one of stoicism.

“Yes Master. I’m ready to begin

He realized quickly his error, and he would bow his head lightly. "I was speaking on a practical basis, regarding the way I have seen the Echani fight. Not the use of the dark side per-se, but the way they handle their emotions in battle.

But I understand that perhaps my wording was too harsh and too reliant on what seems... Practical. My apologies if I have caused you undue stress, that was never the intention. And I have no doubts about your capabilities to resist temptation."

He would have to make notes on how to better word these things in future. He didn't look down the Echani style or think little of it, after all. But adjustments would be needed to best protect herself as a Jedi. The reason why was something he explained soon after.

"The reason I wanted to bring it up, is should you fight Sith, and most likely you will. The style is similar enough for them to know it well. A good deal of our adjustments should go to making you harder to predict. That will increase your odds of success against that sort of opponent. Does that make a little more sense?" He inquired, hoping that helped. "Not that emotion can't help. I use it. But... You gotta know when to play your cards" He added, a small smile crossing his face. "Look at it like a game of Sabaak. What cards you play and when... And ensuring the opponent doesn't know until you play it... That will be key to success in Sabaak... And in battle.

With that, it seemed they would be ready to begin. He nodded his head as he brandished his blue blade.

"Come at me when you're ready. Just fight as instinct tells you, keep calm, and I'll instruct you best I can as we go."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom