Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strings Are Always Attached

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

"Uhhh....all sorts of stories. Sometimes Mama makes them up and sometimes she just gets a book." Makai thought a moment, wondering if he knew a story line Miss Ar-cen-now's. Juice glass went back up to his lips for more of the liquid as he did so. A small thought struck him and the glass went back down.

"Mama says back on Gala, there is a pretty mermaid who lives deep under the sea but is sad." Makai adjusted himself on the stool and continued on. "She is sad because she was sold to mean people and hasta live alone now. Mama said she escaped and hid on the sea floor, still sad 'cause she couldn't live with her family on Gala anymore."

"When she gets really angry 'cause more people got sold, Mama said she makes big storms" Makai's arms went wide, as if telling a tale about a fish. "With big winds and lotsa rain. The mermaid lady protects the regular people and the sea animals but not the bad guys. When they leave the storm is over."

"It storms where we live too...sometimes....I hafta help Daddy pull down the big metal things." Makai mimed rolling down large metal hurricane shutters on the house. "Just in case the mermaid where we live isnt like the mermaid from Mama's planet."

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

Makai Dashiell was positively charming; dimples and all. He was a treasure; watching him get so animated in his story was a breath of fresh air. No ulterior motives and simply just enjoying himself. Maybe that was just another reason why Danger was so taken with him, the genuine innocence of the youngling. That excitement, the ability to see the 'verse with a fresh pair of eyes.

Would her children have had that gleam in their own eyes? That joy? It was a bittersweet thought, one that would somber the woman but not wash away the gentle smile on her face.

"I wonder why the mermaid didn't send a message to her family... maybe that way, her family could come to her so she wouldn't be alone... Or perhaps your Captain Atlantis should try to be her friend." she would offer a thought for the young Dashiell to consider. Following that, she would ask, "Speaking of your ma... just where is she? Does she not enjoy coming to the Expo?"

"I don't think Captain At'lanis lives near her."

Makai spoke seriously, as if the cartoon character was a real person who had yet to master intergalactic travel. A small shrug graced his little shoulders at the mention of his mama, picking up the juice glass once more to drain it. Daddy said they'd be going back soon, and young Makai suspected his mama was at home.

"My wife.....prefers not to attend the expos. We're not....really a part of the crowd that frequents the shows and auctions." It was the most diplomatic way Judah could put 'we used to be dirt poor, hard to accept we have credits now'. Since Makai was downing yet another glass of juice, it was the perfect time to bring up business.

"Which is in part why I can't accept your gift for Makai. Thessa and I are working hard to raise him as normally as possible. Its likely he is going to be our only child, we certainly don't want a rich-kid-only-child syndrome developing. Its nothing against your generosity Miss Arceneau, just parental concern."

Danger would flicker that emerald gaze at [member="Judah Dashiell"], both brows rising up at the native of Saeucami. Rich-kid-only-child syndrome?

Well I'll be.

Her attention would drift back to Makai and she'd shine him a winning smile, "You hungry, Makai?" she's ask, straightening up to her full height as she would continue, "I've some fresh fruit you might take a shine to if you are hungry. Maybe even some muja berry muffins."

A short nod would follow with a 'Yes please.", his legs kicking and swinging as he would contemplate Captain Atlantis and his inability to master intergalactic travel. He was the epitome of childhood adorableness, and it was hard to not rustle the tousled dark curls of his hair.

"Give me a minute, I'll go get them with your daddy," she'd say, starting to round the bar to make some headway on over towards Judah. It was killing two birds with one stone; she had to get a platter of fruit and muffins and she can talk to the swarthy faced father a bit more privately.

"I'm sure he'll likely want a muffin of his own as well," she'd say a bit sassily, arching her brows in knowing and mild humor, indicating that the man should follow suit.

Were he not a married man, the redheads tone would have been missed. Innocuous. However, any male who had been married for more than a couple of years knew that tone. All women -- no matter their species -- had it. Judah had decided long ago that the female gender acquired this upon puberty, lying in wait, striking at all the worst possible moments.

Amusement colored his features and he tried to keep himself from chuckling. Reluctantly Judah forced himself off the overly comfortable sofa and started to follow Miss Arceneau. A quick stop at the bar and he poured Makai another drink, this time a glass of water. He didn't feel like dealing with an overly hyper son due to a sugar high. Nor did juice hydrate little half-Galans like water did.

"Sit tight buddy, don't touch anything."

[member="Judah Dashiell"] would find himself next to a sashaying Danger, mild amusement coloring her expression as she'd amble her way towards the far right of the room.

"You've piqued my curiosity, Mistah Dashiell," she'd breathe out in that voice that hung in the air like a temptation. Granted, she wasn't attempting to use any wiles, merely her good humor was showing itself in her drawl. "Now why is it that you are so keen on believing that owning a speeder company would make your child spoiled?"

A short glance would be shot at his direction over the bare curve of her shoulder, one auburn brow arched high. If it was one thing she learned from her pa, is that working hard and appreciating one's responsibilities and taking ownership of said responsibilities made the man -- or woman in this instance.

"It ain't material goods that makes one fall into any kind of rich kid syndrome, 'tall."

"Rich kid syndrome and material goods seem to go hand-in-hand, dont you think?" Judah wasn't sure why [member="Danger Arceneau"] was so hellbent on gifting this corporation to Makai. Or why she had taken such a shine to his son. The scruffy CEO was fairly certain Miss Arceneau gave a real smile when talking to his boy, none of those fake ones she passed out in her Expos.

"I don't want Makai growing up thinking the 'verse is going to hand him anything. He needs to know that companies, products, hell...life in general takes more than flashin' your dimples and holdin' out your hand. Sitting back and taking certainly won't teach him a thing at all Miss Arceneau."

On a bit of a roll now, there was only a slight pause before Judah continued.

"Besides, a three million credit purchase is excessive for a boy who just become old enough to tie his own boots. Three million credits...a company.... to a child you just met today at an auction? While we may have history Miss Arceneau, I doubt you would consider me one of your closer contacts."

"Being said, somethin' don't sit right with me about this."

That saunter would not hesitate; no, there was a rolling confidence in the swing of those hips that bled through years of working her way up her daddy's company.

A rather unladylike snort came from her in regards to rich kid syndrome and material goods going hand in hand. A brief flash of emerald would go darting over at [member="Judah Dashiell"]'s rugged face. One can see exactly where Makai got that little boy charm from; more so where in a few years the youngling would mature into.

"Y'know, my momma had a saying." she began, swinging her attention forward as they would near a table. It was carved body-wood, fine of grain and exquisitely crafted. Her hand would reach out, fingers skimming across the smooth sanded surface as she went walking by. There was admiration in her eyes, an appreciation.

"The attitude that you have as a parent is what kids will learn from more than what you will tell them... or what they own." Her head would swivel back to latch upon Judah's dark blue eyes, her gait slowing as she would near a plate of fresh fruit. "Makai won't remember what you try to teach him, Mistah Dashiell.

He will remember who you are."

She came to a slow halt, fingers drifting up to trace the edge of the wide mouth plate. "Integrity. Discipline. Community... Courage, Flexibility, Presence." she would chime each virtue and merit, "Grace, passion, and joy. A humbleness."

"All of these come from you and your wife. Not material goods." therein was her counter to his would be rich kid syndrome. "You can very well teach Makai the sensibility and discipline it takes to maintain said three million dollar Speeder company... more so when he realizes this is his own -- that it is a responsibility."

Granted, he had a point that she had quite literally, handed a company no strings attached to a youngling. But she also handed billions of credits to charity and orphanages.

Her lashes would lower the next instant, shifting a bit uncomfortably in regards to that internal acknowledgement. She would collect the plate in her hands.

How odd for the Queen of Trade to act so.

"It is a gift, Mistah Dashiell. Reckon one can see it as much of a learning opportunity as I did when my pa done the same to me."

Coming to stop near the entryway, Judah leaned against the framed opening. In essence, he was blocking [member="Danger Arceneau"] to suddenly leave and abandon their conversation. While he didn't consider himself an imposing presence by any stretch, his move to block the entry was more of a psychological one. One of standing firm.

His deep blue eyes watched Miss Arceneau closely, gathering fruit as she spoke. A pause before she collected the plate. Since he was seeing an entire new side to the redheaded powerhouse, it was hard to gauge what was a normal reaction and what was something he could press deeper against. Judah's gut was still telling him it had something to do with his son -- something more that lay beyond the realm of teaching a young boy responsibility.

"All very flattering Miss Arceneau. I...appreciate your words, your faith." A slight pause. "If I wanted to teach Makai responsibility, wouldnt a pet turtle be a much more effective and cheaper option? Especially at his age."

Judah shifted in the doorway, gaze leveling with hers.

"There is more to this than a mere gift, Miss Arceneau. This is.....This seems like you're trying to pay penance for something in your life. You keep skirting my point. While you are an extremely generous woman, you and I don't have a close business relationship nor do we have a friendship."

"Quite a number of business owners in your circle have children. Some are even trying to raise their young siblings. Yet you pick my boy out of all the youngsters you know."

"Miss Arceneau, I'm not an educated man, but don't think me a fool. There's more to this than you are willing to share. If you feel so strongly about Makai then I feel its only fair to give a better reasoning than responsibility."

He was unnerving her. Oh by no apparent means was Danger Arceneau the sort of woman that would be so easily perturbed; however, [member="Judah Dashiell"] certainly had a way about him that would feel as if his probing dark blue stare would pierce through the veil of her cordial facade.

Certainly did not bode well. Not well at all.

T’was easier to talk to a man whose interest lay on more southerly ventures than those who were pressed to focus upon the eyes. Windows to the soul, her momma would tell her. Ain’t no other way to tell truth from lie than there eyes. They’d rat you out like the light of Inari’s glow, revealing the skeletons you had been so keen on keeping out of sight and out of mind.

Blasted Salumecai farmboy!

Truth be told, she couldn’t quite be too upset with him. Wasn’t his fault. She just wished that he would be just like the rest of the men nine times out of ten would let things lie and accept what was and her generosity. The kind that wouldn’t ask questions and leave it at that. Say a thank you and be on their merry way some three million credit company later.

I’m not an educated man, but don’t think me a fool.

Oh it wasn’t that she thought him a fool; this long with working in their circles and dealing with the man told her enough that he was the kind to do right and honest by his trade.

A fool? Never. Although it would certainly be nice if he would stop looking at her with that thousand yard stare of his. While he certainly wouldn’t dwarf her, that presence of standing firm at the threshold certainly made her feel smaller.

Get yourself together Danger! she’d yell at herself, cursing under her breath as she’d glance away. That rather peculiar fluttering in her stomach came back, much like the times when she was a girl and she got herself in trouble with her pa.

Well, maybe she could fix this. Manage some level of damage control. Granted, once unhinged it was a struggle to go up that hill to gather her bearings again. That was evident enough by the subtle tremble in her fingers, one she attempted to hide by grabbing that plate with a knuckle white grip.

Penance? Guilt? Or merely a desire to gift upon a child she knew she could never with her own?

All that and more considering the last three years of her life. Granted, that was a hard enough series of facts to admit to herself much the less to someone else.

“I ain’t got no other circles with younglings of their own, Mistah Dashiell.” to a degree… well that is true. The only other would be Jorus Merrill -- apparently her company kind didn’t quite settle down and get to procreating, what with the time it would require and all that jazz. Not really a family friendly environment once you reach top.

“Can’t I simply desire to present a gift to a child?” she’d ask, all too determined to perhaps sidestep the man.

That is, if the star forsaken scruffy faced father would move!

It became clear to him that [member="Danger Arceneau"] wasn't used to be looked in the eye. Perhaps that was by design, using her womanly assets to distract the eye downward. Preventing anyone from seeing the real woman that laid inside. All a man (and many women) would remember was those peaks of flesh and a honey drawl. Clever.

Only a boy ogles breasts son. A man is interested in something much deeper.

Wise words of his father came floating back to him as his was registering what Miss Arceneau was trying to do. It had taken him many years to understand the meaning behind his father's sage advice. Advice that was working to his advantage in this situation, but to what end? Judah had no intention of making the woman uncomfortable to the point where it was cruel.

Yet wasn't that where he was headed if he kept pressing the issue? His keen gaze already detected the white-knuckle grip on the platter. If the redhead griped any harder it was going to shatter. Mouth quirked into a small frown for the briefest of seconds before going back to its neutral state. Cautiously -- as if trying calm a spooked baby nerf -- Judah reached out and took the plate from her before it did indeed break.

"No, not many around have youngsters."

A fact that kept Judah awake at night. Most in this line of work didn't seem to have time for family. Recently a weight had been on his shoulders to spend more time back on Ceto. He did, for awhile, when Makai was very young. Yet Salacia was itching to grow, he was needed to oversee certain aspects. Couple time constraints with the frustration of not being able to convince his wife to take more business trips with him....well....it wasn't exactly conducive to romance and family planning, being away often.

"You can give the gift, only if you help oversee the lessons attached to this."

A small voice would drift from the bar and lounge area.

"Daddy? I'm outta water and you said don't touch nothing."

Judah broke his eye contact with Miss Arceneau, wanting to say more about the situation but his words were cut short before he could even get started. Tray in hand, he went back out to where Makai was still sitting. The boy had drug out two small toy speeders out of his pocket, using the bartop for a raceway.

"You and Miss Ar-cen-now took a long time."

"Well, I told Miss Arceneau that you are a growing boy and eat like a starved bantha. So she had to look through her food stores to drag up more food to feed you. Said something about sendin' you a bill for groceries at the end of the month."

Thank Inari the Reviver for small miracles.

This one in the shape of one dimpled scaled cheek of Makai Dashiell. With the elder Dashiell breaking eye contact, Danger had a moment to breath and gather her bearings. It was just something about that fifty meter stare that was unsettling her. Normally, such a thing would have been brushed off, nothing too bad for her to handle.

In the wake of Alric Kuhn, she found herself with several chinks in her armor. Something she wasn't altogether too pleased about. What she didn't know yet is that this was just her maturing into another phase in her life. One where she was well realizing just what it was that truly mattered in the 'verse.

And where she stood exactly in all that; a very very solitary existence in the wake of the betrayal from the man she had considered her best friend and the man she loved.

Funny how that works, no?

Had Judah kept eye contact, he'd have seen the look of vulnerability that came upon her then. Even a Corseca Gem has their weak points; the shatterpoints that would break her apart if struck right.

The spider cracks were there, Alric had certainly hammered in a few. That knot in her throat grew and her shoulders would rise as she took a deep breath.

"Well that I can do," she'd say in all attempts to seem as if all was the norm. One would hope that a man of Judah Dashiell's caliber wouldn't press the issue further, for Danger wasn't sure if she could handle that.

It made her feel weak.

"Don't listen to your pa," she'd add, raising her voice so it would sing out towards the youngling. A side step would see her moving on by the elder Dashiell.

"Found some of those muffins for you though. Fresh baked this morning if I do recall correctly from the Expo."

By now, Judah had wised up enough to watch [member="Danger Arceneau"] out of the corner of his eye. A part of him wondered if her thought process was worried about what exactly he had figured out in her personality. If at all. Not that he would ever utter any word of a non-Trade Queen personality to the population at large. Obviously she had worked very hard to carefully construct a facade. Was he any other man, it was worth pouncing on.

The salvager would use this knowledge in a different way though. One not for greed and gain. Like anything in the 'verse though, it was going to take time. Judging from this encounter, short bursts of time.

"Thank you." Makai took a muffin and started to eat with all the zeal of a starved child.

His son was oblivious to the changed atmosphere, thankfully. However, Judah knew it was time to wrap up this little meet and greet for now. Miss Arceneau had won for now in gifting the company to his son. Time would tell if Makai would keep it, especially once he told Thessa the news. His wife already was intensely suspicious of Miss Arceneau and this would only had more scrutiny. Judah found it interesting she was jealous, yet this was his first true unofficial meeting with the redhead.

"Once you finish your muffin, we have to head on out. I'm sure Miss Arceneau would like to relax after a long day at the Expo and we've got to make the journey back home."

"'Kay. Miss Ar-cen-now, will you come visit me on Ceto? I can show you my scaly armor."

Now that was a surprise to hear from Makai. So much that a brief flicker of astonishment would ripple across her expression, not quite sure for a couple of seconds how to respond.

A smile would warm soon, however, curving upward with authentic delight at that invitation.

"Well now, I am mighty honored for such an invitation," her green gaez would flicker up to [member="Judah Dashiell"], a knowing look passing between them about this particular invitation.

"Reckon that will depend afterall on just how busy your pa and ma are." she'd add, reaching down to ruffle Makai's tousled black curls.

"Please?" Ice blue eyes swiveled back to the older of the two shaggy Dashiells. "I can clean my room even."

Judah glanced back to [member="Danger Arceneau"] for a brief moment. While things could certainly be a bit tense with a visit, he didn't think Miss Arceneau would take up the offer. Granted, she just made a very large gift to a small boy, but that didn't mean the woman was interested in spending her free time with the Tadpole.

"Of course. I think we can squeeze Miss Arceneau into the schedule somewhere, don't you think?"

A grin shot over to the redheaded woman.

"Really?!" Makai looked back to the Trade Queen. "You're really gonna come?"

"We did just invite Miss Arceneau over, I think she will follow up on it. Already looking forward to having you come on over. Anytime works for us, I'm sure you're the busier one."

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

Danger would bend down a bit at the waist, coming more level to Makai. She gave him a wide smile.

"Really, really." she said, using her finger to make a mark of the cross over her heart. "Cross my heart." she'd tell him, resulting in an instant beaming smile from the young Dashiell himself, dimples and all.

She'd straighten, before returning her attention over to his father. "It has been a pleasure Mistah. Dashiell. I do hope you enjoy the rest of the Expo and the auctions." she'd say in that honeyed drawl, a bit more of her self now.

Her hand would reach out to ruffle Makai's dark curls. "You keep out of trouble with your daddy, kay. Never know if Captain Atlantis is gonna be watching you, waiting to recruit."

"I don't think he visits the desert" Makai answered seriously. Was there a sandy superhero for this planet? He didn't know. Little body would find its way off the stool, carefully shimmying down in the manner only a small child could. Short arms threw themselves around [member="Danger Arceneau"] 's legs in a very brief hug before bouncing off towards his father.

"Always a pleasure Miss Arceneau. I'm sure we will be touch shortly."

"Bye Miss Arceneau. Don't for'et to visit me!"

Judah didn't have the heart to tell his son he didn't think that was going to happen. However....Danger would have to come in and check on her investment so to speak. The question now would be would he produce speeders or go in an entirely new direction with the company? Makai waved goodbye and the two men disappeared back into the non-VIP sections of the Expo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom