Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strings Are Always Attached

[member="Danger Arceneau"] | Tatooine, Post SSB Auction

It had taken Judah some considerable time to pry Miss Arceneau away from her guests. Pulling ears off a gundark might have been a more pleasurable and easier experience in fact. Everyone wanted to talk to her. Business, gossip, vapid greetings. Judah had to speak to the woman though. Frankly, in his opinion, his life and well being depended on it. By now, Makai wanted to be picked up. The fun was over for the kid and the boy was probably looking forward to eating. Or in the case of the Tatooine heat, staying indoors and sitting in a bath tub. The hazards of having a child with half of its genes coming from an aquatic humaniod.

Finally reaching the redheaded powerhouse, Judah smiled warmly.

"Miss Arceneau, a pleasure to see you again. I was hoping we could speak? Its about the auction. Perhaps somewhere with fewer prying ears? I'm afraid I don't know the area but I am sure you have some recommendations..."

The smile that would grace Danger's lips would tense but for a fleeting second, barely there and just as quickly gone. The Queen of Trade had her torso facing the Salvage Giant, and by all intents and purposes, gave no indication that there was anything within the depths of her eyes that would hint of a turmoil therein.

Especially at seeing the young boy that [member="Judah Dashiell"] carried in his arms. His tiny face would incline towards his father, and it was at this distance that the uncanny resemblance would be striking to see. There were telltale signs of the woman who'd bore him, but that mop of hair was clearly Dashiell thorough and through.

That tightening in her heart grew, and for a second Danger had to tear her eyes from the child to meet the blue of Judah's eyes. For a brief moment, memory would jog of another pair, but that man wasn't the one standing before her.

With a cordial smile that would slowly draw over her lips, Danger would shine her best sabbaac face at the swarthy visage of the farmer boy turned corporate.

"Away from prying ears?" her brow would perk, questioning. It wouldn't quite dawn on her that he'd be so keen on talking to her over the matter of a corporation she had signed over to his son.

"Well... I hope nothing is to your displeasure Mistah Dashiell; Incom starfighters was it not?"

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

"Oh, no Miss Arceneau....I'm not here to inquire about a refund. I didn't think that was possible at an auction." Brows knit a little in confusion over the potential of requesting an exchange of credits. It seemed odd to him. Maybe it was something to note at his next auction, a no refund policy.

"We can settle business here if you so desire, I didn't mean anything negative."

Judah struggled to address the situation delicately. Offending Miss Arceneau wasn't on his list of 'to-dos'. Neither was getting a divorce from [member="Thessa Kai"] , which seemed highly possible in light of the recent events. Coming home and giving the news wouldn't go over well. Judah wasn't too keen on discussing his wife's jealousy about their business relationship either. After a long pause he broached the subject.

"Actually, I'd like to speak to you about the gift you gave to Makai. I,uh, feel its perhaps extremely generous....especially for a boy so young yet."

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

Pique would turn into a dawning awareness. A slow lift of her brows would be followed by an acquiescing nod. There was no denying that Mistah Judah had a sense of being rather uncomfortable about the situation; being in the business as long as she and with the type of business she ran, there was no mistaking the shift in his feet and the struggle to find the right words.

She had to give him credit for that. There was an air of genuineness that would linger 'about the man; for all his wealth now, he didn't turn into a flashy show that most of new money tend to do. No, there was still that manner of humbleness that would radiate from the man. Of conviction.

It was a trait Danger could respect.

A quirk of faint amusement would curl at the corner of her mouth; one of the first true signs of genuine emotion evoked in the evening. Truth be told, while Judah was all fine and dandy, she wasn't too keen to start getting into the nitty gritty on the why. Most folk would have walked off and taken the company without a second glance.

Not a Dashiell. Inari save her from honorable men.

A deep breath would lift that magnificent bosom of her as she'd mentally brace herself. While he'd talk to her just fine, her eyes couldn't help but keep trailing back over towards Makai.

"Hey there sweetie," Danger would coo out with more genuine warmth than most men ever heard from the woman. A hand would reach up as if to tuck the wayward dark forelocks that fell over his temple.

"You looking mighty peaked there." her eyes would narrow down upon the slightly dry skin. Concern would furrow her brow. "How 'bout we get you something to drink, hmm?"

A spare glance would dance over towards Judah, "Maybe for your daddy too?" came a questioning quirk of a brow. Silent words would suggest that if he wanted that quiet venue, he was about to get it.

"'Kay"

Makai nodded slowly, tucked into his father's side as he answered the redheaded woman. His gaze kept flicking back between the pair, not fully understanding what they were chatting about. Judah shifted him slightly, curious that Miss Arceneau kept looking back to the boy. Perhaps the other was trying to figure out the parentage of Makai. The scattering of glistening blue-green scales against his tanned scales always brought a few glances, especially when Thessa wasn't with them to fill in the picture.

"It appears we are joining you for drinks then Miss Arceneau. Let's hope Makai doesn't bore you with talks of the Captain Atlantis cartoons. I doubt you'd get such a holochannel out here in the sandy depths anyways."

A brief smile and Judah nodded in the direction of the bar. There was always one close by, never been to an SSB event that didn't have some type of libations flowing.

Her smile would only warm. "Well now, what girl could say no to a tale such as that?" she'd drawl out in her sugary drawl, but there was no provocative overtones to it. No, instead, it appeared to simply be a throaty rasp more attune to the laid back southern style of those who've lived their lives down the Mara. Akin to the spacers who make their living with honest work.

What an odd thing to come from a woman who would emanate a distinct level of classic charm.

There was no missing the tiny scales that would kiss Makai's skin; Danger found herself thinking that they were adorable. Again, another tightening at her heart, a pang of sorrow edged in bittersweet.

Would Fiona be just so?

Melancholy thoughts would be brushed to the side with a mental shake. Another time. Another place. Another life. The dead stay dead and there was no bringing them back.

No matter how hard one wished it to be otherwise.

"Well then, how 'about you and your daddy follow me, hmm?" she'd shine a sunny smile that would brighten the Queen of Trade's heart shaped face with an almost motherly glow; one that would subtly be edged with the kiss of a sorrow only another mother who had suffered the loss of a child would know.

A small beckoning hand would wave at the man and his progeny. "Ain't far t'all..." by far she meant up stairs to where the VIP suites would allow them a measure of privacy. Few ever would cross those floors, but this was Danger's territory.

"So what is this I hear about one Captain Atlantis, mmm?" she'd ask the boy, gracing him with a fleeting smile over her shoulder, watching Makai perk a bit at that.

The walk should Judah so choose to follow, would take them weaving through the patrons of the auction, headed just off towards the right where Darkwater security and that constant red rope cut off would announce that none other than special guests could pass on by.

"Umm...Captain At'lanis he-he goes under the ocean, he lives there." Makai paused, growing a little excited. "He's got a big stick with three pokey things" The boy spread his arms wide, trying to demonstrate the size of the trident-like weapon. "...and scaly armor, but not like mine or Mama's scales. Sometimes he has a giant squid help."

"Mama says the squid we eat at home isn't Captain At'anis' squid, so its okay to eat. She says it comes from the bad guys lairs."

Judah couldn't help but chuckle at the solemn statement Makai gave about squid. Leave it to his son to worry about eating a cartoon squid off the HoloNet. They weaved through a part of the auction house floor Judah had never seen. If he and Makai were sitting in a nice area before hand, their current location made their original seats look like the slums. Ropes and security lay thick everywhere -- for good reason. The auctions brought all affiliations.

Once they had passed into the VIP (and ultra secret by the looks of it) room, the guards moved in to cover the door as soon as he passed. Judah wondered how many men had their hopes and dreams die in this room. Miss Arceneau was a very alluring woman. He knew the looks others gave her, no doubt there was always a man vying for her hand.

The corridor would lead off towards an opulent turbo lift, with Danger actively engaged with excitable chatter with Makai. One would wonder if the woman was making some kind of play, some sort of reason to the manner she would beam at the young boy, the brightness and laughter in her eyes.

However, there was no denying that glow that would radiate. No, it was genuine interests. Who would have figured that a boy would garner this much attention than a man full grown.

"The bad guys lairs eh? Sounds like your momma knows good and proper what happens to bad little squids," she'd tease, green eyes dancing as she'd gesture for Judah to step into the turbolift.

Amusement would flicker over her eyes, " So tell me about Captain Atlantis scaley armor... " she'd grin, a finger brushing to hiss the door shut behind them. Another press of the button would start the lift, causing it to shudder for a second before that funny freefall feeling would settle on their stomachs.

If Judah wasn't an acquiescence of Miss Arceneau, he would be worried right now. Mysterious turbolifts, roped off areas. It was like in the HoloDramas where the evil doers go to get shot and killed. However, he didn't expect the redhead to do any poisoning or shooting, at least towards the Dashiell men.

"The scaly armor helps him not to get hurt from bad guys. Captain At'lanis got it when he beat up a big ol' sea monster 'fore he was really Captain At'lanis. Then he started to save all the people in the underwater cities, 'cause bad things were happenin' to 'em. I got scaly armor for Life Day, but Mama says I can't wear it in the pool. She says 'cause there's no bad guys in the water to beat up."

"I think I cleared all the bad guys out of the pool before you were born. Your Ma kept hassling me about it, knowing you were going to come out and start fightin' for justice."

"Guess so. 'Cept my scaly armor ain't real....maybe thats why I can't wear it in the pool?"

A soft chuckle would come bubbling forth, the curvy woman leaning against the wall of the turbolife as she would waterfall her attention on the youngest Dashiell. He had a cherubic face and the most adorable smile. It lit up his entire face, his eyes turning into tiny mirth filled slants. There was an energy about him that only a child could have; that only that innocence could glean.

Time would slow, and for a second it would appear to Danger as if the rest of the 'verse would start to get fuzzy around the edges. Her sole attention was on the child, watching the subtle nuances of joy wash over his face, the excitable gestures of his tiny hands. He was big for his age, she supposed. But there was no denying with those baby blues, Makai Dashiell was gonna lead a tangle of broken hearts come of age.

"It ain't real?" there was a feint exclamation of shock. "Reckon that's just a matter of opinion." she'd grin out at him. "Maybe the bad guys see you in your scaly armor and are just too dang yella bellied to go wandering round your pool."

Three floors up and the lift would come to a slow halt. There, within the feline emerald of her eyes would spark a certain mischievous air.

"You ever been to Morje, Makai?" Morje, the homple planet of the Kraljica. It was an oceanic world located in the Unknown Regions, largely covered by oceans, with many volcanic islands dotting the waters. It is largely unknown to the galaxy, yet contact has been made in the past through marooned ships and pirates -- and now Arceneau Trade.

The hiss of the turbolift door would draw their attention, and that's where the exact nature of the VIP suite would span into a large room. A balcony would overlook the distant dunes.

"Maybe" Makai was quiet for a moment. "Scaly armor don't feel like my scales...but....my scales get hurt. Scaly armor can't."

His brow furrowed in concentration at the mention of a planet. Makai wasn't sure what planets where were. He lived on Ceto. Daddy said that was far down south in the galaxy. Finally, small shoulders shrugged at the name of the planet. Makai couldn't tell one way or the other if he had been there before.

"I dunno."

"No, you haven't. I haven't either.....at least that I am aware of."

The turbolift stopped and Makai's eyes went large. He squirmed a little and Judah set him down but not with a warning look. Judah didn't need to be handing over his cred account information in exchange for a broken piece of antiquity. The room had Miss Arceneau stamped all over it though.

"Nice view. Reminds me a bit of my boyhood."

Twin brows would arch at that bit of information over at the elder Dashiell. "That so? Where's home then?" she'd ask, turning over to Makai with a wide grin.

"Want to help me pour your daddy and me something to drink?" she'd ask, extending her hand out to him. Well now here was a moment held with baited breath. Would the child take the hand of the Queen or would he leave her hanging. How curious of a scene.

What choice lay therein?

"Saeucami,I wouldn't call it home anymore though. Granted we had a bit more greenery....the planet was dotted with oasis' that folks lived in, including our family. Real hard life to live."

Judah wasn't sure what to do since it seemed Makai and Miss Arceneau were suddenly best friends. That kid was a charmer. No doubt he would have his hands full as the boy grew older. Looking around, the salvager turned CEO picked the seating area by the expansive view of the dunes.

Taking Danger's hand, Makai shrugged a little, following where the woman led.

"Kay. I wanna drink too.Its all sandy here but not like beach sand. What happened to the ocean?"

As that little hand would trustingly slip into Danger's own, her heart gave a backflip. Makai Dashiell had no clue just how much that meant to the Queen of Trade, that simple gesture. Her smile would only grow wider, and with every second that would tick pass, a bit of that armor of sultry facade would start to fade. Warmth would rise to soften her features, the woman chuckling at the youngling as she lead him over towards the bar.

"Saeumacai is it?" Her mind would draw back to what she knew of the planet. A little backwater world, but there was some promise in trade there. "Well, reckon s'long as there's family, it is always some kind of home, hmm?" she'd muse aloud, turning her attention to answer Makai's question.

"Well, that's a tale most folk wonder about," she began, bringing the young boy up to the bar. There she would help him get on top of a barstool, having him settle down. "Everyone has their theories... The Tuskens say that Tatooine was filled with vast oceans and seas, as far as the eyes could see -- running from the Western dune sea onto the East.

Water was plentiful, and there were mountains and plains and thick jungles where the Wastes now lay."
she would round the bar, moving over to gather three clean glasses. "But the people did not respect the land; they would tear into it without consideration.... so the gods grew angry... and from the sky," a finger drew up to the heavens in emphasis, " rained down their judgement.... taking from them the oceans that they had once blessed this world to give life."

Makai settled onto the bar stool, one legs underneath him for more height, almost as if he was kneeling. Ice blue eyes took in the various bottles and jars on the bartop. He kept his hands a respectful distance away from all the glass but was quite taken with them, at least until Danger started speaking.

"Oh." Little driftwood colored brows knitted together in confusion for a moment. "Like when you get sent to your room for being bad? Only no water."

"That's not fair."

A soft chuckle would come wafting from Danger's direction. She gave a nod, bending over to pluck a bottle of juice for Makai. Straightening, she took a step over just on the other side of the bar where the adorable young boy sat at.

"I thought the same," she'd say in soft confidence, popping the lid from the bottle and pouring him a drink. " But see, there was one of the gods who was real sad that this happened. She didn't think it was fair. Every morning she would look down on Tatooine and would be so sad, that she would cry."

And every night, just after the twins suns would sink into the horizon, her tears would turn into mists, rising up from the ground and providing the desert and her people with water. " Danger spoke of one of the many extraordinary features unique to Tatooine was the mysterious mists, which rose regularly from the ground where desert sands met cliffs and mesas. Various theories of this moisture's origin were disputed by meteorologists and geologists, like water suspended in sandstone veins beneath the sand and complex chemical reactions which made it rise when the ground cooled, then fall underground again with the double sunrise.

Scale-speckled hands reached out and took the glass, looking at the juice before experimentally taking a sip. Involved in the story, it didn't take the shaggy haired half-Galan long to drain a little over half the juice. Given the chance, there would be no doubt Makai could drink half of Miss Arceneau's water reserves without blinking an eye.

"If she cries a lot maybe the sand will get covered up forever again." Raising the glass once more, the last bit of liquid was drained and Makai set the glass back on the counter top. "Thank you Miz...Arc-en-now." Makai was pretty sure thats what Daddy called the redheaded woman.

"Is it okay to have more? Or will the lady have to cry extra hard?"

A genuine laugh would soften up Danger's features further, the corners of her eyes crinkling and a glow coloring her cheeks. She would prop herself forward, chin coming to rest on her palm, elbow braced on the countertop.

"Haha, she won't need to cry more, Mistah Makai." Danger would assure the younger Dashiell, pouring him another glass. "You may have some more." a crooked grin would perk the right side of her mouth.

"I'm sure she won't mind," a glance would drift up towards Judah, mirth twinkling in her green eyes. "I'm sure your pa has other stories like mine about his home planet."

Judah stretched his legs out in front of him, watching from his position on the sofa near the wall of windows. Miss Arceneau had taken a real shine to his boy. Not all of it could be chalked up to the natural Dashiell charm either. To say he knew Danger well would be lying. Judah knew little about the woman, perhaps because Miss Arceneau seemed to keep herself at arms length.

Until now, anyways.

"My stories are incredibly boring. Mainly about little boys who are guests that drink the owner out of house and home."

Makai set down his glass again, drinking more slowly this time.

"Daddy's stories are pretty boring. Mama tells better ones, she uses funny voices."

"Is that so?" Danger would ask with a curious arch of her brow at Makai. Amusement would go dancing over her face, "What kind of stories then?" came her query. She set the bottle of juice down and brought out a glass for herself.

The juice would soon fill her own glass as the Queen of Trade was all ears for the youngest Dashiell's elaboration. It was easy to see that Danger was enjoying herself, just quietly making conversation and learning more about Judah and his son. About his mother and how his parents were raising him. It was all in between the lines you see.

Parenting wasn't about what one tries to teach their kids. The attitude you have as a parent is what kids will learn from more than what you tell them. They do not remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.

It was easy to see that this was a lesson Makai Dashiell was absorbing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom