Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine-Cover-icon.jpg

Mine-Cover.jpg

Credit: This Guy

Intent: To create a low tech variant Space Mine (canon tech) with elements of multiple more advanced mines to be deployed by small spacecraft.

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Strill Proton Mine
Affiliation: Hyperion Security, Mandalorian Navy, Open Market
Modularity: None
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Durasteel, Duraplast, Proton Core, other materials.

Description:
Seeking to design a new line of naval weapons, Mandal Hypernautics looked to existing Space Mines for inspiration. Looking for a cheep and inexpensive option, CEO Rygel Larraq instructed engineers to develop a contact mine that was as as mass producible as any other, but that could produce the same results as the more complex seeker and sleeper mines. The result of this program was a simple and elegant technological work of art that helped to put Mandal Hypernautics on the economic map. In place of the expensive repulsor engines in place on seeker mines, the Strill Proton Mine simply magnetizes the surface of itself and lets itself get pulled towards whatever object triggered it. In place of the complex sensors of proximity mines, the Strill Proton Mine possesses a simple gyroscope connected to a small magnet. Whenever a metallic source comes close enough to the mine, the small magnet triggers the gyroscope and activates the mine. Until this activation, the mine is completely inert. While this does not give them nearly the same level of stealth as a typical sleeper mine, it did cause sensors to automatically register the mine as an asteroid. And thanks to the lack of electronics bleeding a power source these mines can operate indefinitely until triggered by a closing magnetic source.

The Strill Proton Mine is typically deployed by fighter-bombers or other small spacecraft. The mine is a little bigger than a typical Space Mine and can fit in any bomb bay designed to carry the Proton Bombs. The Strill Proton Mine uses a small, clockwork timer to delay arming until after the spacecraft that deployed it is out of its effective radius. This delay is typically 5-15 minutes. The small size and lack of energy or electronic emissions from the mine makes it extremely difficult to detect on sensors. The mine is extremely simple and relies on gyroscopes and magnets to detect a target. When any ship, friend or foe, comes within range of the device a tiny magnetic inside the gyroscope is drawn towards the metal of the starship. At this point built in power cells bring online a powerful electromagnetic field that magnetically charges the entire mine and activates other nearby mines. Now magnetically charged, the mines drift towards the starship in question until they make physical contact with it. Once contact has been made, the mine detonates with the Proton Bomb at its core.

The Strill Mine is a blind-fire weapon. Meaning that it cannot differentiate between friendly and unfriendly targets. It simply activates whenever a suitably sized source of metal gets close enough to it, and moves towards it. Their targeting system cannot be jammed by conventional means thanks to the simplicity and artistry of its targeting mechanisms. Furthermore, Strill Mines are incredibly hard to detect as they do not emit any electrical, electronic, or other signals that would register on most sensors. The mines are to small to be picked up by gravity detecting sensors and barely register on magnetic sensors. At close ranges, the mines will sometimes register on sensors, but in their inert state they simply register as small asteroids. Even magnetic sensors simply register the mines as small, metallic asteroids. However, it has been noted that some advanced scanners can detect the inert protons at the core of the mines. These type of scanners are designed for surveying asteroids for rare metals to be mined, and are almost non-existent on military craft. Once they activate, however, the sudden burst of electromagnetics and bleed-off of Proton Energy are easily picked up by sensors. This gives any ship that has wondered into the minefield a brief opportunity to take action as the mines drift towards the ship in question. Due to the magnetic detection system, larger ships will activate the mines from further away than smaller ships will. Which gives larger ships more time to react. Smaller ships, like corvettes and gunships, are significantly threatened by these mines. Due to their much smaller profile, they do not typically activate the mines until the vessel is too close for point-defense weapons to be completely effective. The mines must be precisely placed in a grid formation for maximum efficiency. While the mines typically do not set each other off, they will trigger themselves should they drift within 2 meters of each other.

Classification: Space Mine
Size: Ship/Starship deployed
Length: 2 meter
Weight: 1 Ton
Effective Range: 35m explosion radius
Damage Output: as much as a Proton Bomb

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
1) How does it avoid detecting other strill mines?
2) How does it differentiate between friend or foe?
3) What are its weaknesses? Can I jam them? Can point defense target them or is it manual acquisition only?
4) How damaging are they? Are the inconveniencing, threatening, or devastating?

1) the mines do not create a strong enough magnetic signature to trigger the gyroscope unless they drift within 2 meters of another mine.
2) it doesn't
3) they cannot be jammed. Because magnets. Once you know they are there, you can scan the area to try and find the rest of the mines and target them with point defense. They emit no electronic signatures until they 'activate'. By the time a mine 'activates' and given the time it would take to target the mines, most point defense would have a lot of difficulty targeting them.
4) that depends on the ship in question. It does damage exactly as a proton bomb would. So... About 5 proton torpedoes worth of damage? Maybe? That really just depends on how much damage a proton bomb does typically.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Mkay. Go ahead and add those answers to your description, clearly list both strengths and weaknesses of the mine, and increase to length/height/width to 2 meters so that the size to weight ratio is a bit less wonky and we'll go from there :p

@[member="Captain Larraq"]

I'm not comfortable with how undetectable this seems to be. Change it so that it can be sensed when at close range but slightly before activation and I'll allow it to pass.

That's not what I asked for. You're wanting these things to be mass produced, powerful AND undetectable save for a MINUTE number of ships? To reiterate what was asked for, make it so that scanners can pick up on them properly when they're in a close proximity. It won't ruin the integrity of the product to do so, simply make things fairer where aspects such as PVP fleeting is concerned. Otherwise we'll have reports of powerplaying flooding in.

It's not that the mines can't be detected, it's that the computer does not identify them as a threat. Until triggered by proximity, sensors detect them and register them as small asteroids. The only sensor system that can't detect the mines is a rare and expensive type of sensor that detects gravitational fields. And I even added that -some- sensors can detect the proton core with active scanning. Similar to how a submarine or naval ship can 'ping' sonar to try and find a target. It's just that active scanning gives away your position, expends energy, and is not -constantly- done.

@[member="Darth Kyros"]

That is my point; they're not identified as a threat up until they're about to go kaboom or someone just so happens to have special sensors - part of non military ships - this can and most likely will get abused during fleeting, I'm trying to avoid future strife. This is not a bartering system, please amend it.

The changes made are not what we agreed upon, after half the Factory chat assisted you in what to do with it. I am not arguing this one any longer, all you've done throughout is fight with me on it. As such this is being denied. Second Chance it all you like but I'd make the changes we asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom