Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticks and Stones

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

"Reckon it is a pretty simple solution."

Her voice, while edged in growing emotion, didn't rise an octave. Instead her emotions revealed themselves in the flush of her face, the slight trembling of her hands, and the way she seemed to latch herself to a single position as if she didn't dare move from it. Likely to prevent her from getting too animated. She knew herself. Knew things could get ugly.

"Pretty easy to see." her lips pursed. "But that only works in so far when the woman in question is actually there to do the things that need doing."

She was specifically talking about his absent wife. In as long as she'd known him, Danger had yet to see scale or hair of her. What sort of mother and wife leave their family be behind?

"Yeah, I hadn't thought of that before. Let me find my comm and give her a heads up that its time to come on home."

Rarely heard sarcasm dripped into his tone. He knew his wife needed to come home. He hadn't heard from her for months on end, a large part of him expected that she had died on above some backwater moon. It was hard to swallow that he could very well end up a permanent single father, a widower. [member="Danger Arceneau"] was reminding him of how very real the possibility was.

Picking up his suit jacket, he shrugged it onto his shoulders.

"As lovely as this evening has been, its best I get going. Thanks for everything."

“Since when is it your responsibility for the actions of others?”

Danger knew she shouldn’t say it. Knew that she should stop. He had already drawn the line and began to withdraw by taking his jacket and slipping it on.

“Since when are you the one who is supposed to remind the woman what it is to be a wife to a husband and a mother to your boy?”

It was just so… simple for Danger.

“Judah, for kark’s sake… look at yourself.” a gesture came, and she slipped from her perch to take another step towards him. More emotion bled out. Her frustration. Her worry. All of her concern for Makai but also for Judah himself.

“You’ve lost weight. You barely sleep. You join these sessions with your mind half elsewhere, and then leave Makai with me while you throw yourself into your work.”

Her throat began to work.

“That ain’t being a family. That ain’t pullin’ each other’s weight to build the other up. At some point you gotta go enough is enough.”

At that moment her hand went reaching out to catch his upper arm.

“Judah, you are a man any woman would cherish, with a boy any mother would love. Don’t sell yourself short.”

Jaw clenched under the smattering off dark scruff. Normally he was a patient man. Easy going, even tempered. However, [member="Danger Arceneau"] was digging under his normally calm demeanor, burrowing relentlessly deeper until his patience was starting to fray, his normally good nature starting to wear thin. He didn't understand why she was putting him through the emotional wringer. Makai was one thing, he could understand her need to be protective of the boy. Could appreciate the concern.

Going after the personal relationship with his wife, the inner workings of his family, that was just rubbing salt deep into unhealed wounds. As much as she probably was trying to help him, it felt like a cruelty.

"There's a lot you don't know. A lot you don't understand."

It wasn't his place to explain it either. Private life remained just that, private. Makai complicated things slightly in that regard but he attempted to keep his relationship between himself and [member="Thessa Kai"] .Even if he did try to explain the inner workings of his life, he didn't expect Danger to understand fully. She had on Makai-colored lenses rather than looking at the larger picture.

Rough calloused hand would come to remove hers from his shoulder.

"I ain't never been one to believe in divorce and I'm not about to start now."

Judah had to escape, had to get some breathing room. Hopefully Danger would let him continue his path to the door but with the Trade Queen one never could guess her next move.

Her hand fell to her side, curling into a tight fist.

Judah wasn’t the only one upset now. No, she was also feeling, a gut twisting that burned deep in her belly.

There’s a lot you don’t know. A lot you don’t understand.

Well he wasn’t the only one with his own secrets to keep.

Her lips drew into a straight line, and she lowered her eyes. What else was there to do? What else was there to say? She’d crossed a line and she knew it. But she couldn’t keep silent. It was a rare time indeed that the Queen of Trade would throw herself out there just like she did.

In all likelihood it would be the last.

He didn’t seem to understand where she was coming from. Where she saw things from the outside going in. Then again, who did?

It was all so convoluted.

So no, she didn’t stop him. No, she didn’t hold him back or do anything that would warrant him to say.

Instead she simply gave a weary sigh, her shoulders sinking. Lowering her gaze, she brought her hands to her face and rubbed it in her frustration.

Were he to leave, then the only thing left were the curt sound of his retreating footsteps and then the slow hiss of the door.

Judah had watched [member="Danger Arceneau"] wearily rub her face, either in defeat or frustration. If she was trying to convey something to him it wasn't working. The fact she had all but pushed him towards divorce was a bit surprising and had caught him off guard. Gunning towards his wife didn't help either.

He stopped up short and turned towards her, arms crossing across his chest. There was a fair amount of distance between them and he remained by the door. It was perfect for an escape, exactly where he wanted to be in case things quickly went south once more.

"You want to talk about Makai, I'm fine with it. Everything else is off limits."

He was doing this for his son. Makai adored the woman. If he left now there was going to be an irreparable wound that the boy would pick up on. It was going to be uncomfortable. He was probably going to grow even more angry. Yet if it meant keeping the Tadpole happy in some form, it was worth it.

Danger was halfway at plucking the hair comb of her hair to let it fall when she heard his voice. Her arm froze, the glint of silver from the three pronged haircomb flashing for a moment under the light. Truth be told, she had expected him to leave. To walk out that door and leave it at that.

That he remained stunned her. Slowly, as she felt the lax weight of her hair fall around her shoulders, Danger lowered her gaze. She didn't turn to face him just yet. Things were stretched as tight as could be and the way the air felt about them, it could snap at any given time.

"My comments weren't meant to pour salt into your wounds Judah." she finally breathed out with a weary sigh, taking the hair comb in hand and tightening her grip. "They were only there to suggest that perhaps it was time your wife decided on where her priorities lie."

Green eyes went flicking out towards him.

"You aint' the sort to quit, Judah. You're the sort to fight for what you care for." the woman seemed tired, worn. Her expression told of experiences that said she knew and understood the position he was in. One she didn't want to see him or Makai suffer for it.

"That will be the last on the subject of your marriage. As you said... that is a subject yours and yours alone." feth she needed a drink. And a smoke. Something to keep her busy.

There was a silent promise that he planned on remaining more level-headed during this conversation. To try not to jump to conclusions. Have a two-way street. Such a thing was difficult. Thessa had always joked it was due to his upbringing, too many one-sided conversations with nerfs and not enough with real sentients. That the farm wasn't conducive to the rational exchange of ideas.

In a way, she was right.

Danger had a few good points but they were somewhat moot. There was no way to contact the mermaid anymore. He had tried countless times and spent countless hours trying to 'fix' a comlink or holo signal to boost it further. Any actions to bring Thessa home if she was alive were impossible. He was fighting a one-sided battle.

There was no reply to the marriage subject, of her dropping it. If she had said her piece and gotten those last lines out of her system then so be it.

He was incredibly tired. Hunger gnawed at pit of his stomach, a dull ache stretched across the back of his head. Absent mindedly, hand went up behind one of his ears, as if trying to rub the headache away.

"Back to your original subject....I have no doubt Makai blames himself. He doesn't understand how she can be away for so long....but....as you know, I've changed much of my schedule to be with him. I work nights at home now so we can be together all day."

"He's been hurt and as much as you want to fix it, this is something thats going to take some time on his end to heal."

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

[member="Judah Dashiell"] would speak his peace while danger ambled her way over to the table. There she set down the silver haircomb, her right hand threading her fingers through her hair to loosen it from its twist. She didn't glance over to Judah's direction, but she figured that he wouldn't mind taht too much.

If anything, since he arrived he'd had the look about him that said he wasn't too keen on being watched. When Judah began to speak about time healing things in the end, Danger couldn't help herself. A soft half snort came, a "hmph." that said she doubted otherwise. This had more to do with her own experiences and how time didn't heal the wounds. No, they still festered.

"I'll worry none the less." she told him, however added, "But I'll be there for whatever he needs."

That was a promise. Danger did not intend on parting from Makai's live unless she had no other choice in the matter.

Mouth would quirk in a half-smile at [member="Danger Arceneau"] and her opinionated 'hmph' of displeasure. Part of him could understand. If he had been in her place during the last several months there would be an entirely different light on the subject. Ocean-blue gaze would watch the Trade Queen take down her hair, a weariness in her movements. If it was from their conversation or something in personal life he couldn't say.

Silently, he would cross the room, back to her side.

"I suspect you will continue to worry..."

There was a long pause. Eyebrows knit together as if he was thinking, the same gesture Makai often did. He wanted to clarify something, let Danger know where he was coming from. It just had to be worded differently than his previous statements of the night.

"No father wants to see his child,his son suffer, to go through any emotional pain. Don't think I haven't noticed. Don't think it doesn't keep me awake at night.....its hard to mesh that with the reality that the mother of my only child is causing a large chunk of it."

Danger drew in a long breath. She knew that admitting that aloud took more gumption than most could give. Fingers went raking through her hair, and after a moment, gave an incline of her head. It was her concern about the younger Dashiell that made Danger so vocal. For a woman who had lost two children, seen one whose mother was seemingly not actively a part of her child's life by choice cut Danger to the core.

How any woman could seemingly abandon a son like Makai set her blood to a slow boil. All it showed was that Mrs. Dashiell took her life for granted. That she did not appreciate what she had. That she set others or whatever else first before her family. That a woman could do such, after what Danger lost, simply painted Thessa Dashiell as the villain of it all.

Danger didn't know the entire story, only what she herself saw and what she gathered from Makai. But what compiled the image as a whole wasn't one that placed Thessa in the best light.

"I'll do right by Makai, on that you have my word." Danger would tell him, green eyes rising to meet Judah's. If he wanted to discuss his wife now, that was all his prerogative. She had said her piece, and some of which Judah did not want to hear at all. As it was, they managed an amicable peace for now.

Another exhale and Danger withdrew her attention from Judah, panning the suite, it settled on the bar. Definitely a drink in order.

"He... just asks many questions. He has many concerns." her lips drew thin, her amble taking her towards the bar. There was no tempting smile there, instead there was merely a concerned weariness.

"Much of which he blames himself for."

As Danger meandered her way to the bar, Judah took the opportunity to settle down in the armchair in the corner of the room. Eyes closed for a moment as he continued to listen to her speak. He hadn't expected this to occur in the slightest. Makai, being a little boy, no doubt shared some information with [member="Danger Arceneau"] or felt a pressing need to ask her questions . Judah was grateful Makai could confide in the woman, despite the mild amount of tension between the pair.

Eyes reopened and he thought for a long moment.

"I imagine most children would blame themselves....Makai is no different. I...uh..."

Starting to flounder, he finally gave up. He was too tired to try to find a better way to phrase his statement, too tired to care if he sounded like a total idiot.

"I don't know what to do.....I'm doing my best. Its all I can do for him at the moment."

Danger came to a stop by the bar. There she stood there quietly for a moment. Her hand came to rest along the neck of the glasteel decanter, her fingers flexing so that her knuckles turned white. There was that knot in her throat again, that sense of urgency and a need to do something, anything.

Maybe it was just her mother hening ways. Danger had always been a caretaker. Some may not agree with her ways like with the Companions or with Saffron and Ashiin, but it was what she could do with what she had available at her disposal. The 'Verse was a cruel place, she learned that too well a decade ago. Sometimes, one could only do with what they had. Had to grit their teeth and move forward.

She desperately wanted to take care of Makai. To ease his worries and woes. To simply see him smile and enjoy his life. That wasn't to say she was set on spoiling the half Galan, no she had too much of her grandaddy's sense to do that. One had to earn their lot in life, to realize that nothing is simply handed down. Judah seemed to be of the same mindset, but he'd gone to the lengths of simply sheltering him.

Sometimes you had to let younglin's go out into the 'Verse and experience things.

"He simply wants his pa, Judah." she finally said, cheeks blowing out as she took the decanter and a low ball glass. She didn't even bother with ice. She was taking it straight.

As an after thought, her query came over her shoulder. "Want anything to drink?"

"No thank you."

He never was one for drinking. The back garage refrigerator there were a few bottles of ale, mainly used when various Salacia employees came over to discuss business. There would be a rare time sitting by the pool or when he was working on something to crack one but never a need. Every time he downed hard liquor in social situations it was a struggled to keep the grimace of his face. It was merely a matter of not being used to the taste.

"I am there....I'm the only one there. Yes, I'm here away from him now for roughly two days. I love having him with me and would have brought him along however I needed some time to sort things out alone. Beyond the boring business meetings, I really just needed a day to drop the facade and wallow in my own misery."

"You don't have to worry, I'd never be away from my miniature shadow for long. In fact...I should probably head back early in the morning."

It was the strain in his voice. The way he expressed a complete loss of what to do and where to turn that struck Danger. Staring down into the molten amber of her drink, she gently began to rotate her wrist. The liquor gave a slow twirl within the glass, and the redhead gave a sigh.

"That would be the best course of action," she would sigh out, her back still to him as she set down the decanter back upon the bar. "Makai just wants to spend time with you, Judah." really, what a younglin his age so desired.

"I reckon he is feeling a bit self-conscious and with the Mrs. elsewhere." there really wasn't any other way to say it. It was what it was. Thessa was elsewhere.

"And likely worries that the same may happen with you." Danger took a deep breath. Turning around, she flicked that emerald gaze over to Dashiell. Her slow gait brought her over towards the acceleration couch, sitting down, she draped herself upon it.

"That's all I reckon you can do. Spend as much time with him. Talk to him."

"At his age, every son wants to spend time with his father. To emulate his Pa."

Judah had remembered that age, following his own Pa around like a lost little puppy. Trying to do the things he did, mimicking actions in his own way. He could see Makai doing it sometimes. He suspected as the boy got slightly older it would only increase before tapering off in Makai's teenage years.

"With Thess gone, of course he's going to worry. If I was in the same position as Makai right now I'd be worried about being abandoned too. We spend all sorts of time together but I'd suspect no amount of being together is going to make the fear ago away. Not at first anyways....not until he sees me leave and consistently return."

He reached up a wearily rubbed an eye.

"If I leave within the next hour I can get to Ceto by breakfast, Maramere is quite close." There was a slight pause. "I'm not the only one he has a hankerin' to see though. If you can spare the time in your schedule, you'll have to stop by and see him."

Danger would cross her left leg over her right. A deep breath filled her lungs, her back resting against the softness of the couch. Arms spread wide, using the arm rest as a perch.

A nod came at his mention of leaving within the next hour. If anything she could make apologies for him with the rest of the Techno Union. However, her eyes went widening slightly at the invitation to stop by his home on Ceto.

That was a first. Her fingers lightly would press against the low-ball of her whiskey glass.

"I would love that." Danger said quietly. While the statement was coated with the soft drawl of her voice, it was said with genuine pleasure. It was in her expression, the slight upward cant at the right corner of her lips. In the slight crinkling of the crows feet at the corners of her eyes. It was the expression of a woman who greatly appreciated and was touched by the offer.

Being with Makai was a pleasure that Danger would be willing to completely arrange her schedule for.

"Happy to hear. He's been begging for you to come for some time now. I'll give you all the information to find your way over."

Judah figured she had business to finish up here at the conference. He himself was already here for the island deal but it had been closed via distance, signed and credits transferred as he had waited for the dinner that never came. Ceto was(slightly) out of the way and he wasn't sure Danger would have the time to rearrange her schedule just to visit a little boy.

Either way, he didn't have any plans in the next couple of weeks. No business trips. No real plans to take Makai anywhere. Research could easily be done on Ceto as it could any other ocean world, the only advantage offworld was to keep it away from prying eyes.

He pulled the comm out of his breast pocket and typed away before sending a message to the woman across from him. It was the directions and address needed to find the home. Just in case she really was coming....

"I'll keep your visit a secret from Makai. I'm sure he'll love the surprise."

Slowly, he rose from the chair and straightened his jacket in preparation to leave.

"Have a good night Danger."

All matter of decorum called for Danger to rise to her feet, set her glass down and escort him to the door. It was expected of course. It was what the perfect hostess would do.

However, the weight upon Danger's shoulders seem to just sink her further onto the couch. It had nothing to do with Judah. Or maybe it did. Perhaps it was just seeing the honest way that a man would do so much for his child. To see the care and concern that Judah had for Makai.

It made her wonder.

It made her realize just how alone she was in the 'Verse.

No child. No lover. No Family or Kin. The irony of it considering all that she did have was rather glaringly mocking. But what did it matter at how much she had if there was no one for her to share it with?

With a deep breath, Danger dug deep, gathering that intestinal fortitude. With a cordial smile, she drew herself up to her feet.

"Good night Judah." her throaty singsong would float over to the man. Quietly, she sat down her drink. Ambling behind him, she did as she was expected to do.

"Give my love to Makai.... I reckon I'll come round soon."

"Don't worry yourself trying to fit in coming to see us in your schedule. If it works out, it works out."

It wasn't as if Makai was never going to see the woman again. There was the question of when, as the boy seemed to question him often about [member="Danger Arceneau"] .Judah couldn't blame his son. Danger seemed to dote on the boy more than any other in the galaxy did. Took a real interest in his hobbies and thoughts. It wasn't typical. In fact most instances it made him pause.

Not that he didn't appreciate it. Judah merely found it odd that Miss Arceneau had picked his son out of countless children she came in contact with. Plenty of business owners had children around them, Judah had seen a few here and there. To become so attached to his boy? Well, that remained a mystery.

"Goodnight"

Closing the door behind him, he tiredly moved to go pack for the trip home to Ceto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom