OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A cybernetic eyepatch for Starlin Rand.
- Image Source: Vera Tihonova (cropped by me) | "Dia Shala portrait"
- Canon Link: N/A
- Permissions: N/A
- Primary Source: Eye patch
- Manufacturer: Zhaerdra Tremain
- Affiliation: Starlin Rand
- Market Status: Closed-Market
- Model: N/A
- Modularity: No
- Production: Unique
- Material: Durasteel, specialized electronics
- Classification: Eyepatch
- Size: Large
- Weight: Light
- Energy: High
- Kinetic: Very High
- Lightsabers: Average
- ION/EMP/Electricity: Low
- Environmental: Very High
- Eyepatch functions like a cybernetic eye, featuring a small camera which feeds images directly to the brain.
- Includes nightvision, ultraviolet, thermal vision and zoom modes.
- Can connect to the Holonet, with a special map feature that allows it to function as a GPS.
- Eyepatch: While it is by definition an eyepatch, this device serves the function of a human eye via a small attached camera. The camera can switch between modes at the turn of a dial, from nightvision to thermal to ultraviolet, as well as zoom in.
- Virtual Reality: While he can't play video games on the job, the eyepatch can connect to the Holonet, particularly to work as a GPS and to read and send messages.
- Money Back Guarantee: The eyepatch can survive being dropped or struck (within reason) as well as exposure to the elements.
- Depth Perception: While it certainly helps to resolve the issue of Starlin's lack of depth perception, it doesn't completely remove the handicap. His field of vision on his right side is also slightly impaired, requiring him to turn his head in that direction in order to see completely.
- Lightning Bolt: Exposure to ION, EMP, or good old fashioned electricity can short out the electronics or even destroy the internal workings of the eyepatch, requiring it to be repaired.
After losing his right eye to the Amalgam during a duel on Krayiss, Starlin needed a replacement. A cybernetic eye was deemed too expensive for the young Padawan, who didn't like the idea of adding more cybernetics body parts anyway. With the help of Zhaerdra Tremain, a cybernetics enthusiast, an eyepatch was developed as an alternative.
The eyepatch is still a cybernetic and is connected to Starlin's optical nerve via wires (though the outer piece can be disconnected and removed at any time). A small camera is hidden within the device, receiving input and transmitting the data directly to Starlin's brain, where it is received as images would from a normal intact eyeball. As Starlin is wont to point out, the quality of the images isn't the same as in his left eye, and his field of vision is limited - but it makes up for these shortcomings by including extra features, such as the ability to switch between nightvision, ultraviolet, and thermal vision, as well as zoom in like a telescope and even access the Holonet to read news articles, send and receive messages, and look up maps. Nifty.