Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stand and Deliver

"You have to follow your own path."
Location: Ryloth | Time: 0820 | Objective: Meet a new Contractor
bluebanner.png
Business was good with Dynetech industries ever since they left the umbrella of the Techno Union. Of course their were the foreseen setbacks that came with their newfound autonomy but the company was still doing better than ever. Their main headquarters was in the process of being moved from Ryloth to another planet deep in Confederate territory. A planet where they would have more liberties with testing and be far from the eyes of the Viceroyalty. Asher Malvern, the president and Chief Science Officer had busied himself during the move. Not on the droll paperwork and meticulous day to day. No, the CEO and the board of directors could easily handle such things. Instead his time was devoted to the labs, where he was designing, engineering, and overseeing no less than twenty projects at any given time.

As the Chief Science Officer, most of his time was spent watching over his staff and checking in on their own projects. However that was not to say that the man would not task himself with a workload of his own. Currently, the main Research and Development building was pursuing three fields. The main field had been weaponry. Rifles, swords, and munitions were always in high supply, therefore assuring them a place in the Dynetech Research and Development building. Following closely behind the weapons of inflicting casualties were the tools used to defend against them. Several different armor skins were underway, most of which were slow coming and did not have any semblance of a project end date, to Asher's dismay. The final field held by Dynetech was oversaw by Asher himself and it was a bit of an "other" category among the three classes of production. In the final field things of all manner were produced. Everything from jetpacks to stealth field generators were being manufactured to give the modern soldier an edge in the battlefield.

Surprisingly enough that third field had an array of shortcomings that Asher had not foreseen. Chief among them was building a proper development and engineering team. Since their production field was so broad Asher did not have the luxury of hiring a full time team, instead he would merely contract out certain scientists and Engineers as he needed them.

That was what had Asher standing in the main lobby of the Dynetech Research and Development center. A small wing of the Headquarters facility, it was a large pristine interior that sat at the bottom of a hexagonal atrium. He pulled his glasses over his eyes before checking his watch. His new contractor still had ten minutes to arrive, but Asher was eager to get to work as soon as possible.

[member="Sebastian Thel"]
bluebanner.png

Sebastian Thel

S
The Twi'lek receptionist nodded to Sebastian upon his arrival, who smiled in return and turned into the elevator where she directed him with a wave of her hand. Holding a briefcase, he flattened down the front of his thin scarf, which he wore over a smart coat and suit pants with lace-up shoes. While working for another corporate power made him nervous, he only hoped the pay would allow him to set up his own workshop.

"Mister Malvern will see you now." The woman sitting behind the computer terminal called behind him. Looking over his shoulder, he nodded silently in acknowledgement and waved goodbye as he stepped into the elevator. Men in suits and lab coats stood on either side of him, along with a woman tapping away at a datapad. Arching his head up to the ceiling, Sebastian glanced from one side of the elevator to the other, before hearing the distinct ping.

The doors opened and everyone standing in the compartment filed out, along with Sebastian, who took a left turn in the direction of the Research and Development center. Upon entering two large, metallic doors, he stood before Asher Malvern and parted his lips in a coy smile. Sebastian checked his watch and saw that he was three minutes early, then lowered his wrist and glanced around the room with a curious tilt of his head.

"Hello Mister Malvern, it is a pleasure." In a quiet voice, barely traveling beyond his lips, Sebastian greeted the Chief Science Officer and stood perfectly still. He did not dare sit down before being offered to do so. "I'm Sebastian Thel, the engineer you contracted." He introduced himself while holding his briefcase with two hands. Having received copies of Sebastian's qualifications, Malvern was well-informed of his skill.

"I look forward to working with you on any of the current projects." Pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose, the small engineer avoided looking Asher directly in the eye. "I admit, weapons are not my forte." He spoke honestly, then internally berated himself for confessing his flaws so willingly. "That said, I am glad to to assist the company in branching out from the usual range." Instead, he offered his skills in designing devices beyond weapons.

[member="Asher Malvern"]

As the doors to the Research and Development center parted to reveal Asher’s newest contractor, a welcoming smile spread over the man’s face. “Mister Thel, thank you for coming.” Asher said, clasping his arms in front of his waist as he gave the man a quick glance. “Welcome to Dynetech Industries. Of course I’ll give you a full tour in due time.”

Digging into the pockets of his lab coat, Asher produced a small metallic code cylinder. The device would allow Sebastian to move about the Research and Development center as freely as he wished, with some few exceptions. Handing the device to Sebastian, Asher would gesture to the code cylinder port beside the pair of doors that led to the center’s inner workings. “You'll need this to move around, just insert it in the doors and you’ll be free to travel this building. However it will not allow you to travel the entire campus just yet.”

Asher smiled when the man said he looked forward to working on new projects with him, he seemed eager though there could be a slight bit of nervousness in there as well. Only moments later Sebastian revealed the source of that nervousness. Asher placed a hand on the man’s shoulder, rubbing a hand over his stubbled chin.

“I've contracted you to work outside of our weapons development team. In fact you'll be working directly with me on quite a few unique projects.” The older man explained, a twinkle coming to his eye from the excitement of the thought.

Asher would gesture for the man to follow behind him as he made his way to the before mentioned doors. Sliding his code cylinder into the doors, there was a soft beep before they swung open.

“Dynetech Industries is a weapons manufacturing company. However that isn't l we are. We are looking to expand into the medical field, starship manufacturing, and even nanotechnology in the very near future.” Adjusting the glasses that had slipped to the tip of his nose, Asher led Sebastian down a long main hall. The halls they passed seemed mostly filled with offices and rather quiet for the time of day. There was a small employee presence but most we're seeing to their own work in the offices.

At one of the halls, Asher paused and pointed to an office with a designation on it.

G73

“While you work here that will be your office. It has a holotable, a comm unit, and even a small cot in case you need to crash here for the night. No weapons, illegal drugs, or anything like that are allowed in the offices. The janitors come through twice a day, once in the morning and again in the evening. The main building also has a kitchen that will cater your lunches to the office, however they're a bit pricey. I'd just go out into the city to get a bite.” Asher seemed rather nonchalant as he spoke, almost as if he was not the owner of the company and merely another scientist.

“Anyway, you can take a closer look at it later.” The two continued down the hall until it came to a set of durasteel doors. Again, Asher would insert his code cylinder and await a soft click. The doors would fold into their hosts in the walls, revealing the main lab.

In pristine order and scarcely populated, the main lab seemed huge, especially for the size of the building. The length of the lab was at least a few hundred meters, and the width from wall to white wall could have been another hundred meters. The technology used within the lab was up to date and state of the art. Maybe not the top of the market, but surely better than most.

There were several different containment and testing fields throughout the lab and even more desks. Asher would make his way to the other end of the lab, where two white desks had been prepared, one across from the other. They were surrounded by an assortment of work tables and toolboxes. “This will be our workstation. For the most part we will do whatever we need from here.”

Sitting on the side of the desk, Asher cleared his throat before speaking softly. “Now. I believe we have the matter of finance to speak of. The position is a six month contract. For those six months you’ll make roughly sixty-thousand credits. Plus a contractual commission for every successful, marketed, project you contribute to. Along with that, you will be able to pursue your own projects and designs using Dynetech tools, lab space, and if I think it's good enough, finances.”

“Now, as I said you are free to create your own projects here and even test then. However if you want help with finances or marketing then that project will become a Dynetech Production and will be treated as such, with you being the primary control officer for it.”

“Well, Mr. Thel are you interested?” Asher asked, hosting a rather sly smile over his expression.

Sebastian Thel

S
The Chief Science Officer greeted Sebastian warmly, which eased the natural nerves he harbored about starting a new job. He offered only a coy smile in return and looked curiously at the code cylinder which Asher produced from his pocket. As the device was handed to him, Sebastian extended hand to gently wrap his fingers around the cylinder, his eyes widening as he held it up and observed every curve of the shape.

Looking up to Asher, Sebastian saw him point to the port in the doors where the code cylinder was to be inserted, allowing him to move around the facility with ease. When Sebastian revealed that he had little experience with designing weapons, or little desire to do so, Asher placed a hand on his shoulder. Although he winced in slight discomfort, he appreciated the gesture. Smiling in return, Sebastian turned around to follow Malvern down the corridor.

"Thank you, Mister Malvern." With a nod of acknowledgement, Bas spoke sincerely to other scientist, who reassured him that there would be other fields in which he could assist. "I have experience in designing droids and cybernetics, as well as star ship components." Cupping his chin in thought, he explored the idea of assisting in projects related to nanotechnology, an opportunity which intrigued him greatly.

"Although I would be most intrigued to work with you on any projects relating to nanotechnology." Holding his briefcase, which began to weigh on his palm, Sebastian walked as Asher took the lead, passing by sparse offices and the odd employee. They stopped at one office, the door of which was marked with a number.

"Oh don't worry, I don't know how to use a weapon and I've never used drugs in my life." With a slight chuckle, Sebastian assured Asher as he explained any items or substances which were prohibited in the office. Listening to Asher list the features included in the room, he nodded with a smile, expressing his appreciation for the hospitality of the company. The other scientist was down to earth and approachable, which Sebastian liked and he found his trust towards Asher quickly growing.

The two men turned away from the door and continued to walk down the hallway, where Asher directed Sebastian to two durasteel doors. When the doors opened, a pristine laboratory was revealed, which almost spanned the entire floor. Parting his lips as the sheer size, Bas tilted his head and looked around, all the while following behind Asher as he was to lead to their workstation. The older man walked around the side of the desk and sat down, facing Sebastian, who stood before the front.

Considering the words of the Chief Science Officer, Sebastian avoided his gaze as he looked at the wall, cupping his chin in thought while he listened. His eyes grew large when Asher mentioned the pay, which much more money than he had ever had at any time in his life. The job was entirely suitable for setting up his own workshop in the future and would provide the adequate funds to support his personal projects.

"Thank you very much for this opportunity, Mister Malvern." Pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose, the engineer smiled before pausing. "I am interested for certain." Sebastian nodded his head.

[member="Asher Malvern"]

Having anticipated Sebastian's answer, Asher clapped his hands together causing a loud clap to echo through out the lab. "Well, it's settled. I'll have the papers drawn up for you in a few days." He said, before pushing off of the desk and smiling at the man.

"Oh, but first. I want to show you something I've been working on. I could use your advice actually, if you're as good with droids as I hope." He said, turning over to the holodesk that he leaned on he started to tap into the device.

"So a while ago I had an idea for a new Droid. A utility droid, something small that could be used as a type of multitool and an assistant." It did not take long before Adron pulled up an image over the holoterminal. Floating above the terminal was a design for a small, nearly hand-sized droid. With an arachnid form and a thick, bulky body the droid seemed to be some small type of spider droid.

"The droid is small and compact, to where it could fold itself up to fit in your pocket. However, within it's chassis it hosts a series of miniature tools. A servodriver, power wrench, cutting laser, camera, laser pointer, and a few other things can fit inside." He explained, sounding a bit proud of himself with the design. "I can design almost anything....except software." He admitted, giving off a rather dry chuckle before he glanced over to the man. "It's been sitting on my datapad for years because I don't know how to create a droid brain or program it."

Asher pointed as the petite droid's body, taking notice of several joints on it's body. "I want it to be able to be used as a tool or act as an assistant. Well, what can you do for me?" Asher asked, arching a brow with a curious smile.

Sebastian Thel

S
The clap of the scientist's hands echoed throughout the laboratory and Sebastian stood patiently, smiling as he watched Asher motion towards the holodesk. When he asked for Sebastian's advice, the engineer turned his head towards the head and chuckled meekly, somewhat flattered that Asher would personally ask his opinion regarding one of his designs. Running a hand through his pin-straight hair, he followed Asher around the holodesk, where an image was displayed on the terminal.

"Robot!" The engineer chimed with glee as the graphics came to life on the holo-screen. The image of a tiny droid was displayed, which caused a wide smile to dent Sebastian's cheeks.

Gazing at the details with keen intrigue, he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and leaned in for a closer look. He listened to Asher explain the functions of the droid and set his briefcase down on the desk. Procuring his notebook, he slid a pen out of his pocket and clicked the end as he prepared to note figures. The design was very small, yet deeply intricate, which was exactly his taste.

"I really like it, I build very small droids myself." Reading the data projected on the screen, Sebastian expressed his fondness for the design and continued to take estimations. When the other scientist admitted that software was not his forte, Sebastian offered him a smile in return and raised his eyebrow.

"If you're having trouble with the programming, then perhaps I can be of assistance." The engineer said with a reassuring tone as he jotted down equations in his notebook. Cupping his chin in thought, Sebastian considered every function and postulated an efficient means of programming the design. As he wrote, several ideas came to his head, which he paused to elaborate upon to Asher.

"I can design a type of software which enables the droid to function as both an organization and a practical assistant." Sebastian spoke assuredly as he flipped the last page of his notebook. "By emulating the programming of an analyst droid, I can alter the function to organize the everyday itinerary of the engineer or civilian, as well as produce calculated results to any problems they may face, as opposed to the usual battle tactics assessed by an analyst unit." He said as he listed functions, rapidly organizing them into a compact set of programming.

"The programming would also enable the droid to use tools and assist at the owner's workbench." Setting the notebook down for a moment, Sebastian tapped his pen against the paper in contemplation. "Yes, I could refine the software to discern between practical application and personal organization, allowing the unit to switch functions when appropriate without the control of the owner." Sebastian said as he looked up at Asher, noting one last figure on his notebook.

[member="Asher Malvern"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom