Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech SPA-I and SPA-P Ammunition - FFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Someone Order a War?
Ammo.jpg

Intent: Shield Piercing Ammunition. SPA-I Ion Damage, and SPA-P Electrical Plasma Discharge. Compatible with multiple damage types and casing sizes. 6mm, 8, 10, 12, 14, 20, 30 and 40mm weapons. The larger varieties will often be used against larger targets such as vehicles, while a 40mm slug is usually a grenade size.

Development Thread:
Time to Make a Bang

Manufacturer: Fire For Effect - FFE
Model: SPA-I Ammunition and SPA-P Ammunition
Affiliation: Closed Market from Fire for Effect’s marketplace thread only, or a sponsored representative.
Purchase Thread

Modularity: Yes, the tipped round acts as an explosive tipped slug, or plasma acceleration chamber, using Ion or Plasma which can contain any ammunition a weapon needs depending on the gun, packed in below it, as long as that ammunition can be delivered in a slug.
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Detonite, Illyricum, Depleted Baradium (non explosive), Durasteel Casing, Light/Brittle Animated Metal Sealant, Phospha

Firefor_Effect.jpg

Description: A hard outer casing, but usually a soft inside. This is ammunition is built to pierce shields, modeled after the standard explosive slugs in circulation, then discharge whatever payload it carries. It has variable damage types depending on what is put inside of it. With a Durasteel Casing, packing whatever is inside of it, with a lighter, brittle animated metal sealant mix to fill any empty gaps in the casing, which then exits the ammunition’s harder durasteel casing to deliver the payload, or just shatter around it depending on the type of round.

This ammunition is highly effective against droids or circuits, but compared to an ion rifle and given the often smaller nature of the fired projectiles, has a much higher cost, it’s primary purpose is to be used to breach shields and deliver the weapon’s payload to a target, making it incredibly effective against shielded armor which is increasingly in circulation, or a target with a dual armor shield / personal shield system. Though the larger rounds will usually be reserved for being fired at vehicles, 30mm is nearly always an anti-material round, while 40mm is nearly always a grenade.

The SPA-I variant is more effective at breaching shields head on, a basic explosive ion tipped ammunition, using a phospha ignitable trigger to set off the ion charge by means of a micro detonite explosion, it then delivers its payload directly to the target using Illerium which creates less of a blast than detonite, and allows APR metal to be propelled in one piece if used, or further detonite to for example explode outward as an in an explosive round. Typical slug APR, armor piercing round, ammo is usually depleted baradium with none of the explosive potential, it is often cheap to buy up as it has no other common use.

The SPA-P variant is considerably more expensive. Dealing chain linked electrical damage around a shield, different to ion damge but devastating against exposed droids, vehicles or living targets. It models itself off both the Ion blaster using an acceleration chamber to ignite the plasma, and a plasma disruptor to send an electrical charge towards targets at range. Usually used in longer variations of the round (not just size length), giving room for the payload to be delivered to be inserted behind it, as the plasma accelerator takes up room too.

The SPA-P requires a longer range, to give the plasma acceleration chamber time to discharge, and drop away, otherwise liquid plasma will be propelled out of the round rather than an electrical discharge at the point of impact. A plasma disruptor can chain link electrical shots to more than one target, but given this is a very small sized accelerator in most of the rounds, it chain links electrical shots around an individual shield or target, unless someone is standing very close to another individual or vehicle, inside one for example. Large rounds like the 14mm, 20mm or 30mm variants might start to strike more than one target. Ion blasters use this acceleration technology miniaturized from starship engines, whereas the plasma rounds on a similar degree of scale, use it inside the round itself, miniaturized from plasma disruptors instead. This means a miniature sized acceleration chamber is in each round, making them highly expensive. Though excess rounds can half the time be recovered and the plasma acceleration chamber used again if re-manufactured, it still means nobody is carrying more than one clip of the SPA-P variant rounds on them at any one time in practical terms.

Both Types:

Another great benefit of this type of modular design is the fact it can be scaled upward more easily, to fit 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 20, 30 and 40mm ammunition, as the design remains the same, though the weapons themselves will determine the real pros and cons of the ammunition, being modular it can fit a variety of damage types in its casing, depending on what the weapon itself delivers.

Tamper-resistant

A simple but effective anti-tamper system has been built into each slug, to detonate on opening both through the release of pressure in exposing the Phospha trigger to the open air, and as a fall back through a micro switch on the bottom of the round, that will also ignite the Illerium if the casing is pierced. So that learning how the round is made up, even by use of a slug press let alone simple hand tools, is all but impossible. It’s not the hardest tech in the world to develop yourself, but mass producing these particular rounds listed here outside of the company will be near impossible.

Possible Payloads, dependent on the weapon the casing is being used on, the ammunition may or may not require further development threads for the more volatile and exotic materials, and of course the size of it is going to dictate what it can ultimately carry.

Concussion Grenades
Magnetic Biotic Grenade
Cold Grenade
Ion Grenade (double shield breakers for the SPA-P rounds)
Flash Bang Grenade
Cryoban Grenade
Acids chambers such as Xenoboric
Chemical canisters such as Spore B
APR Slugs commonly using Depleted non explosive Baradium
Detonite Explosive Rounds
Plasma Grenade
G-20 Glop Grenade

Strengths and Weaknessses will mostly come from the gun themselves, this isn't a separate product for resale as is, it'd need a specific tech sub for the round in question, or be sold as optional ammo as part of a gun sub.

Possibilities include but are not limited to:
A 30mm round isn’t going to hit personnel, hardly ever, and a 6mm round isn’t going to be bigger enough for a SPA-P acceleration chamber, or many of the possible payloads. The weaknesses for the SPA-I ammo in its smaller form is that it isn’t as effective as an Ion rifle shot per shot, but then it fires faster. Whereas the weaknesses for incendiary ammo will see it blocked by heat resistant armor. SPA-P is incredibly expensive shot per shot, meaning very limited amounts are carried, and it has a higher minimum range to be effective. There are various coatings which block corrosion for acid. More advanced damage types have their own problems needing to be cooled or heated inside the gun, while explosive ammunition additionally has a higher minimum range. Those are some examples of weaknesses of possible variations, to be further detailed on the individual weapons.

Further weaknesses for this type of ammunition

SPA-P Ammo has a higher minimum range and a longer casing requirement, meaning it won't fit smaller guns.
SPA-I Ammo is prone to facing ion resistant armors at times, being a more common damage type. Ion damage also doesn't effect organic matter much, except possibly to stun.

Primary Source: N/A

Canon Techs/Links:
Explosive Slug - Example
Phospha - Reliable Trigger
Detonite - Initial Explosive Force or Common Explosive Round.
Animated Metal Sealant - (Lighter Brittle Variety)
Illerium - Delivers APR ammo and often the rounds playload.
Depleted Baradium - Is often used in APR ammunition, it carries no explosive potential.
Slug - Showing Depleted Baradium as commonly used for APR rounds
Ion Blaster - Showing an ignition system in practice.
Accu Accelerator - Example of ignition system.
Plasma Disruptor - Example weapon for plasma discharge.
IRL APR Wiki - Further referenced in my design.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Draco Vereen"]

APR = Armor Piercing Round *Now noted in description.

Though it should be noted that how powerful or not the ammo ultimately is, is going to be down to the gun that fires it, this is to show development on the SPA Shield Piercing Ammunition system itself and list the possible types of round it could be equipped on, giving individual guns slightly more freedom when it comes to selecting a few damage types.

For example a 10mm sniper rifle round is likely going to be much more damaging than a 6mm assault rifle round in terms of APR potential, while a 30mm anti material rifle round is going to be a much larger ion or plasma charge delivered to a target. This will be down to the individual weapon.

To make sure I am not trying to sneak anything by you, i've added a note to the intent and the description that the larger ammunition is usually used against vehicles, 20mm - 30mm specifically is rarely used against personnel and 40mm is a usual grenade size.

Thought so, but had to clarify.

Sere Reene said:
Compatible with: Cryoban, Plasma, Ion, APR, Incendiary, Carbonite, Acid, concussive sonic, or explosive ordinance.
Really just remove this line. Other ammunitions or weapons don't effect this one.

Sere Reene said:
both through changing pressure, or through a micro switch,
Alright about this. Tamperproof isn't a thing, but tamper-resistant yes. A good EOD expert could still handle disarming it.
Furthermore this concept doesn't work. Change in pressure is a guarantee, its a bullet, a crapload of pressure is what fires it. Nothing is impossible, really. Though I do appreciate the Development you have put into this, the actually mechanism of its anti-tampering needs to be believable (I am not a scientist or expert by any means).

The SPA-I reads like a Tandem round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem-charge Which is cool, but it could use some edits. If a tandem round is what you are after then have it work like a very, very small Ion Grenade primary charge with an Ionite Penetrator. Does exactly what you want.
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/3179-mk-i-omega-boltgun-special-ammunition/there is an Ion Round down there somewhere.

The SPA-P round is designed to deliver an electrical charge much like this. http://starwarsrp.net/topic/15132-556mm-shock-slug/?hl=czerkathe workings are very different but the effects are almost Identical. If you could clear up the type of damage inflicted better.

Finally, if you could edit the SPA-I to say "more effective at piercing shields" that would be best.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Draco Vereen"]

Ammo Types:

Sure I have removed the line about ammo types, but to be sure its stated clearly, those materials will be used inside the round when it breaches a shield, that is what the slug is designed to discharge, like a modern day HEIAP round at the bottom in the links there, a tandem round, or the explosive slug in canon tech. The round is designed to breach the shield with the tipped charge, and then deliver its payload. Depending on the weapon used of course as to what payload that ammunition will be, or how effective it is, this design is supposed to be modular in that respect.

This is for the both the SPA-I and SPA-P ammunition types, though the SPA-P rounds are only going to be for longer (not bigger, longer) ammunition weapons. The SPA-P are supposed to be used very sparingly, so if an RPJ see’s someone rattling off clip after clip in PVP they can waggle their finger, while the SPA-I casings will be more common given that it’ll a single hit and a more common damage type.

Ionite:
Looks cool but that will make the standard SPA-I expensive too won’t it? If not I’ll happily switch for the SPA-I round.

Ion grenades have little to nothing saying how they are triggered sadly, else I would have drawn on it for inspiration. So rather than go with a an Ionite cap, I’ve got with a phospha trigger, which is reliable and often used inside explosive tipped round, in this case to trigger the miniature ion grenade to go off. This also doubles in making it:

Tamper-resistant:

I am always willing to edit or discuss the tamper resistant system on any sub, however I did check first with an admin in factory Q&A if an anti tamper system would make it anti tamper proof. I did that specifically to be sure of my ground, because I don’t want to dev complex systems with multiple dev threads and components, then have someone meta they are then producing the same product without putting in the same work.

Question and Answer page where I brought it up

As this is the first time anyone’s brought it up, (I think?) how about however much development went into the component parts and the sub, the same has to be done in reverse engineering the tech +5 posts? Added a line to the bottom, which makes just developing your own tech more desirable OOC anyway, if you are agreeable.

Pressure, not pressure exerted, pressured released, I’ve cleared that up in the description.

Anti tamper switches or just bolts are common enough in irl weapons, not rounds granted. While a breach in the casing of the round setting it off seemed plausible, especially with the explosives used, a micro switch seemed a plausible backup to ignite the material inside. This is because:

Every cartridge in existence has a pressure limit, in this case if the pressure is released, say for example when the initial explosive charges goes off to breach the casing, the explosive material detonates pushing out the ammunition inside. Thus is isn’t possible to for example to just pop the primer at the bottom and pour it out, or use a press to remove it, because the contact with air will ignite what’s inside of the round, or the piercing of the casing itself will push out the payload. That’s about the extent of my knowledge of rounds but I hope it makes sense in technical terms and I’ve edited the description further.

If it doesn't feel free to correct me and I'll put together something else.

[member="Sere Reene"]
Not the first time, but there are no rules for Reverse Engineering so it is at FJ's discretion. So stick with Tamper-Resistant remove the requirement mentioned. I know what you are going for, but again it is up to the FJ judging the new Submission. I will accept you explanation for how it is Tamper-Resistant.

Also OH, That is what you are trying to do... Makes so much more sens now. Alright, so knowing that these are the primary charges in tandem rounds and that those were the secondary rounds here is what I want.

I need you to relist those that are capable of receiving this modification (Cannon precedent links included) sorry, I misunderstood.

Second I want a clear solid weakness to this thing.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Draco Vereen"]

Done a few possible weaknesses for you, to be expanded on the individual weapons themselves.

Removed the tamper line.

Added notes about the individual weapons perhaps requiring further dev work depending on the type of round they are firing, in the more extreme cases anyway.

[member="Sere Reene"]
I mean, just one solid weakness directly pertaining to this sub. Something like a minimum Effective Range for the SPA-P's and making not the SPA-I's are useless or less effective against something.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Draco Vereen"]

There you go, added an addition section:

Further weaknesses for this type of ammunition

SPA-P Ammo has a higher minimum range and a longer casing requirement, meaning it won't fit smaller guns.
SPA-I Ammo is prone to facing ion resistant armors at times, being a more common damage type. Ion damage also doesn't effect organic matter much, except possibly to stun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom