Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solar Powered Ships

The intent of these ships is that there always in orbit or patrolling the Shadow Realm, meaning they are constantly being hit by solar rays (the panels) and are not leaving the system for any reason.

Would this be a doable? Would it be effective?

[member="Runi Verin"]

Makes sense, I looked at those....I might go sub something that does the job better though...seems a little ineffective for larger ships, but then again....i dont understand what 1 to 3 fuel cells a day mean....is that enough to keep the ships moving?

Also thanks for that link!

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.
[member="Romeo Sin"]

Combination of that and solar sails would mean that your actual fuel requirements should actually be minimal. Probably wouldn't be able to realistically get the highest of spec out of them, but I would personally create them so that they're languid until they need to be. Storing up surplus energy to be used in bursts and quick engagements.

Of course, you're always welcome to submit new tech to do the job, too.

[member="Runi Verin"]

Word, I think Ima try to make something efficient so that the ships wouldnt have to worry about reactors or anything, just the solar powered engines being a major weakness, considering they would always been around the home base, resupplying the ship wouldnt be an issue.
Im'a try!

[member="Romeo Sin"], there are a couple of different fuel converters out there besides solar to consider too. Solar is probably the obvious go to if you plan of having the vessels continually hang out in space, but the other two might work well if they based on a planet or in a different phenomena (like a nebula or asteroid belt).

Romeo Sin said:
Makes sense, I looked at those....I might go sub something that does the job better though...seems a little ineffective for larger ships, but then again....i dont understand what 1 to 3 fuel cells a day mean....is that enough to keep the ships moving?
The original context of the source material is for light freighters. Here's the actual quote from Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters page 42:

In-system, these will recharge a ship's system in about 15 days, while out-system it takes about 60 days to fully recharge the ship's power cells

[member="Gir Quee"] points out the biggest draw back to the idea (that I see).

In an area of heavy solar ionizing radiation, such as proximity to a star, this is likely extremely efficient. But if the ship moves into an area of very low solar ionizing radiation, such as the interstellar medium, you'd want some kind of back-up power supply I would imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom