Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private So Uncivilized

Inanna sighed. “I guess that means I’m the one with a dirty mind, then. You got me.

They didn’t have a whole lot of time to discuss a strategy, as the hunting party became visible riding across the dunes, using torches and other primitive means to light their way. But Cato seemed to agree with her plan, at least.

All right. Try to act more godlike.” She shrugged her shoulders, exhaling a shaky breath.

At first, she thought the alien figures approaching them were other Zaathri, and that the one in their tent had been enslaved by members of its own kind. But as the group drew near—numbering roughly half a dozen in total—she realized that these Zaathri were being used as mounts by another species entirely. She wracked her brain, trying to remember what they were called… the Shaal? Yes, that was it.

Upon reaching them, the party came to a halt. One of the riders dismounted, holding out a torch as if to get a better look at Cato and Inanna. The Shaal were more humanoid than the Zaathri, at least as far as being bipeds, but like the Zaathri they had hooves instead of feet. Their satyr-like appearance extended beyond that, with large horns growing out of their heads and long forked tails. This one in particular had leathery gray skin decorated with luminescent white body paint.

As they approached, Inanna ignited her lightsaber again. The group startled, panic spreading through them. It was the same sort of fearful awe she had sensed in the escaped slave. She was beginning to suspect that these natives either had seen a lightsaber before, or at the very least had heard of them through stories and legends.

Once the initial shock wore off, though, the Shaal who had come forward seemed a bit annoyed. “Oh great,” they groaned. “More gods.

Careful, Usul,” another member of the party warned. This one’s body paint was more elaborate, almost completely covering their horns. “You’ll make them mad.

Sighing, Usul adopted a more reverential manner, bowing his head and spreading his arms. “Divine ones, I do not know your purpose here. I only ask that you answer one question. I have lost the slave called Asra, but I know that he came this way. Do you know where he has gone?

Inanna hesitated. Figuring that merely turning her lightsaber on would freak them out, she hadn’t expected to get this far. Now they were talking, and she couldn’t understand what they were saying—but Cato could. Not that he could respond to them, but at least he knew what was going on and could act accordingly, right?

“You said it, not me,” Cato smirked a bit, before returning his focus to the task at hand.

“Easy enough,” He snorted, already subconsciously standing a little bit taller as if to fit the part.. The aliens approached in short time, soon revealed to be two separate species, which only flummoxed the Jedi further. Inanna ignited her saber, and Cato did the same, causing the party to startle.

Unfortunately, they did not run off completely. In fact, they reacted in a way that seemed to imply this wasn’t their first encounter with the (alleged) divine. Cato’s brow furrowed as he tried to figure out a way to convey his message, “Um-- No? No, we ah, don’t know where your slave is. Also, we can’t speak your language. Soooo if you could just get outta here and leave us all alone, that would be great, thanks.” With a combination of vague, low-effort gestures, Cato made an attempt to express this information. Barring that, he hoped that the clear communication barrier between them would be enough to make the natives just give up.

“This is just our luck,” Cato bemoaned, before sparing a glance at Inanna, “...You were probably too loud. Brought their attention.” Despite his deadpan tone, he was obviously joking. Mostly.

Hmph,” Inanna muttered. “I was going to say, if you want me to tie you up, you could just say so…

She stayed quiet throughout Cato’s speech and accompanying gestures. She didn’t have much hope that the natives would understand, but she turned to them anyway, hoping for the best.

Usul nodded as if he understood everything, though clearly he did not. “We do not speak your holy tongue, divinities. It’s not very well-suited to our voices—

Usul!” the one with the painted horns hissed.

What?” Usul asked.

It is our voices that would profane the language of the gods!

Oh, right.

Inanna could tell they weren’t really getting anywhere, but she didn’t expect Cato to start complaining about her loudness. The Shi’ido put her hands on her hips, her lips curling in a smirk. “I thought you liked it when I was vocal,” she retorted. “Besides, it’s not as if you’re perfectly silent. I’ve never even met any of our neighbors outside of Gurt, but thanks to you, all of them probably know my name by now!

As she was talking, the natives took a few sudden steps away from them. That sense of awestruck fear was back again in full force, too. Obviously they didn’t have a clue what she was talking about, but she thought they may have been reacting to the tone or volume of her voice—she was getting a little bit loud, ironically—and didn’t want to be too close to an annoyed goddess.

Hey, wait a minute…

Keep bickering with me,” she said, raising her voice a bit more. “Or at least, make it sound like we’re arguing!

"I thought you liked it when I was vocal,"

Cato curled his upper lip, somewhere between a sneer and an amused smirk, "Uh, yeah. I also like having a campfire in the middle for freezing desert but apparently that's a bridge too far." He seemed to mirror her, placing his hands on his hips, "Well it would be kinda weird if I was perfectly silent, now wouldn't it?" He clearly didn't have a proper retort beyond that, but after a beat he continued anyway, "And hey y'know what, our neighbors are all pretty nice people so if you're not gonna introduce yourself I might as well do it for ya!"

The natives were all quite taken aback by the sudden heated exchange. Which Cato only actually noticed after Inanna pointed it out, "Fine!" He said, "Since we're getting everything out in the open, you have this little tic you do with your nose that, for reasons I cannot explain, is super annoying." He brushed his own nose to convey. At this point it was hard to say if he was just fully committing to the act, or actually using the excuse to air out some minor pet peeves. The locals were certainly none the wiser.

Last edited:
I was hoping that if we didn’t make a fire, this wouldn’t happen!” She gestured with her lightsaber toward the natives, who collectively reared back. “But since these people came to bother us anyway, maybe we should just make a fire!” Force knew she felt a chill even now through her clothes.

Oh, it’s not that I’m complaining! Like any good writer, I like a little feedback! You’ve given me some of the best critiques I’ve ever had!

"Since we're getting everything out in the open, you have this little tic you do with your nose that, for reasons I cannot explain, is super annoying."

She touched her nose self-consciously, then glared at him. “Yeah, and that cute little button nose of yours makes you look like a twelve year old,” she jabbed back. “In fact, there are a lot of things about you that remind me of an overgrown manchild. You don’t have a real job, you dropped out of the Jedi Order, and your biggest ambition in life is apparently to be a comic book superhero. I’m glad you don’t play holo games, because that would make you too much of a little boy!

"Well clearly you weren't too concerned about attracting attention given all the noise we made," Cato waved his saber in a vague gesture, causing another wave of recoil in the onlooking natives. "I see no reason not to, now!" Part of him was tempted to go and grab a bundle of brush right now.

Cato pointed at her accusatorially as she touched her nose, then arched back as if insulted, "Button nose?!" He touched his again, "Yeah well then you're the one who proposed to somebody who looks like a twelve year old, so really this is more of a you problem."

He grimaced at the term 'man child', "Hey! Being a scrapper is a very real profession. What exactly is it that you for for a living these days? Mooch off the goodwill that I'm mooching off of from playing 'comic book super hero'!" He turned around and marched away a few steps, causing the nearest natives to retreat back. Cato then spun back around to add, "And I do play holo-games! Just not when you're around!"

"Well clearly you weren't too concerned about attracting attention given all the noise we made."

"I never thought I'd see the day where you're complaining about good sex!" she retorted.

"I see no reason not to, now!"

"Then do it!" Seizing a piece of dry brush with telekinesis, she tossed it at him. This display of godlike power was impressive enough to draw a few frightened gasps from the crowd.

"Yeah well then you're the one who proposed to somebody who looks like a twelve year old, so really this is more of a you problem."

Her eyes went wide, then narrowed. "Are you calling me a cradle robber?" she growled.

"What exactly is it that you do for a living these days? Mooch off the goodwill that I'm mooching off of from playing 'comic book super hero'!"

Inanna lifted her chin. "I'm a diplomat, you doofus. And I take care of the baby," she replied haughtily. "And don't you dare try to say that's not a real job!"

"And I do play holo-games! Just not when you're around!"

She was about to snap back when she paused, hearing hoofbeats again. Her gaze darted toward the swiftly departing natives, then to their tent, before sliding back to Cato. "Well, that was... interesting."

Last edited:
"I never thought I'd see the day where you're complaining about good sex!"

"I'm just saying, it's a double standard," Cato's expression twisted in perplexity, as if he couldn't really come up with a better term to use to convey what he meant. The dry brush bounced off of him with no reaction, but when it landed back on the ground he combusted it with the Force, drawing an even greater reaction from the crowd, "Fine! There! All warm and cozy yet?"

"Are you calling me a cradle robber?"

"Well I'm not not calling you a cradle robber!" His head bobbed side to side with tangible sass.

"I'm a diplomat, you doofus. And I take care of the baby,"

"Diplomat for what? You said yourself all the Maranatha stuff was done." Cato squinted at her, "Are you implying that I don't take care of the baby?" He opened is mouth to fire back further, when they both stopped and realized the natives had finally bolted. He sighed, and drooped in his posture slightly, "…Yeah."

After a pause, Cato shot her a sheepish grin, "I actually think the little thing you do with your nose is adorable."

The fire certainly was warm and cozy. She held out her hands toward the blaze, looking over at Cato. “What, this?” She did the thing with her nose, then laughed at the whole strange situation.

Cato, all that stuff I said… None of it actually bothers me.” In fact, she loved most of it, or at the very least didn't mind it.

Blushing, she glanced toward the tent again. “How about we just let ‘em stay in there for a little while? Until we’re sure it’s safe. We can… hang out here.” She looked at Cato with a warmth to rival that of the fire. “I love you.

Cato chuckled, "Yes, that." Hardly how he was expecting this night to go, but it was certainly… unique, if nothing else. When Inanna spoke again, he smiled, "…Me neither." All the little idiosyncrasies that made Inanna who she was, the kind of things that could only be picked up on after being together for this much time. He wouldn't trade them for anything. Perfect because of their imperfections, not in spite of them.

"Sure," He sat down by the fire, and offered a hand to bring her down beside him, "I love you, too…"

Taking Cato’s offered hand, she sat down beside him, simply enjoying his company and the warmth of the fire. As she watched the shadows cast by the flames, her fingertips idly tracing one of the many scars that littered his torso, she suddenly asked, “So, how do you like being a god?

A bit of levity before she continued on a more sober note. “I wonder if they assume all offworlders are deities, or if it’s just those of us with lightsabers.” She nodded toward the tent. “Maybe we could get some answers out of this one.

Cato sighed contently, pulling Inanna in close with an arm around her shoulder and folding up legs by his chest, maximizing whatever warmth they could gather. He sat in silence, watching the licking flames that danced off the burning brush, until she spoke. He scoffed, "It'd be a lot more fun if my devotees weren't a bunch of slavers who couldn't understand a thing I say," Too bad. Perhaps he could have simply demanded they stop, and that would have been the end of it, "What's the point of being worshipped if I can't tell them what to do?" He joked.

When Inanna inquired about the runaway they had helped, Cato glanced back at the tent, then back to her with a quizzical look, "Aaand how would you suggest we go about that?" As they had just established, it's not like the Zaathri would understand anything they were asking.

Last edited:
"What's the point of being worshipped if I can't tell them what to do?"

Good point.

At his question, Inanna groaned. “I dunno. I didn’t get enough sleep.” Resting her head against his shoulder, she closed her eyes. “Hey, wasn’t there a thing that Darth Revan did? With the ancient fish people—the Rakata? He took knowledge of their language from their brains, and gave them knowledge of his language, so they could understand each other even though they were speaking two different languages.

A beat passed. “Please don’t tell me that’s a Dark Side power…” It was. “Feth. Okay, how about we just give this dude knowledge of Basic? That way we’re not ripping anything out of his brain. He’s receiving something. And then you just keep spamming Comprehend Speech. Except maybe teach me how to do it so I don’t have to keep asking you ‘what are they saying?’

Cato was about ready to let it drop as wishful thinking, but then Inanna spiraled into a string of ideas that, while creative, were not necessarily simple.

Please don’t tell me that’s a Dark Side power…

"Uhhh-" His tone indicated that was the case without saying anything. She continued, forcing Cato into thought, "I meeeaaan, I guess it's… theoretically possible," He mused, though he seemed skeptical at best, "Not sure how I can teach it to you without really knowing how to do it myself, though." Cato snorted, apparently finding a bit of amusement in all of this, before standing up. He then walked towards the tent and opened it up, finding the Zaathri inside, easily startled by the slight disturbance.

He gave them an awkward smile, "Uh, hi," Then reached out a hand, "Just sit there and don't freak out or anything," Cato shut his eyes, and began forming a telepathic link in the Force between them, attempting to share his comprehension rather than take. It was a bit rudimentary in application, considering that he was essentially altering a power he was already not exceptionally well versed in. The only way to find out for sure if it was working, was to talk, "Testing, testing, one two three. This is your god speaking. Please confirm if you are understanding this message…"

How are you able to do it if you don’t know how—Aw, forget it. I’ll do it myself.” Or she would try, at least.

Following Cato to the tent, she focused on the Zaathri with the Force, trying to will herself to understand their weird whistling language. Since she could imitate virtually any sound she heard, ideally she would’ve been able to speak to the Zaathri in their own tongue—which made her inability to comprehend it all the more frustrating.

The Zaathri trembled before them. “Are they gone?” he asked, obviously referring to the slavers. “Am I saved?

As Cato spoke, he fell silent, enraptured. Cupping his hands around his ears in shock, he whispered “Yes! I understand the language of the gods?...

"Sorry, I meant the whole knowledge sucking power," Cato said, "Comprehend Speech is partly a telepathic thing. Almost like you're translating the mental intent behind their words, rather than the actual words themselves. Same result, just a more roundabout way to doing so. Can you… do that?" He understood Inanna's applications of the Force to be somewhat limited, so there was chance she wouldn't just pick up on it right away. As for his efforts with the Zaathri, there was a bit more experimentation involved. Effectively he was just reversing the capabilities of Comprehend Speech, offering his own mental intentions in a way that the runaway slave could then translate. It was a bit of a finicky process, like he was trying to find the the exact right frequency on an imprecise radio dial.

He was thus surprised when his efforts yielded the desired results, "Oh, well how about that," Cato hummed, glancing at Inanna, "You getting any of this?" After he beat he turned back to the alien, "Great. Okay. The slavers are gone, you're fine. Got a name, or something?"

Eh…” Inanna looked over at Cato. “Would it be bad if I said no?

She still couldn’t understand the Zaathri, though Cato now could. “I guess you’re just gonna have to be my translator,” she said.

Lowering himself to the ground, the Zaathri thanked them profusely. “Asra,” he breathed. “I am your servant, Asra… I owe you a great debt. Whatever you wish of me, I will fulfill.

"Ah well, maybe we can practice it sometime if you want," Cato said, nonplussed by his continued middleman role. What made him feel a little more awkward, though, was Asra throwing himself at their feet. He raised a palm, "We're just glad you're okay. Here to help, and all…"

Cato then turned to Inanna, disconnecting their telepathic link for a moment to whisper, "Should we like… tell this guy we're not actually gods?" It seemed a bit manipulative to let it go on, even if they weren't acting explicitly exploitative with said influence. Still, they could certainly get some use out of it. He turned back to Asra, "Although, if you wouldn't mind answering a question for us: You know anything about those big spires off in the distance?" He cocked his head in the direction hey were heading.

"Should we like… tell this guy we're not actually gods?"

Inanna shrugged. “If you want? That might be opening up a whole new can of gundarks.” It wasn’t exactly hurting anything if Asra went on believing.

Big spires?” Asra echoed. “You mean the City of the Muses?

It’s an entire city?” Inanna blurted. It had not looked that big from a distance—or maybe she was just too used to ecumenopolises.

No one lives there anymore. The ruins were abandoned long ago. But there are those who claim to have visited it. They speak of a malevolent presence inside that will ask for a sacrifice in exchange for a boon.

Cato shrugged, not really wanting to deal with the ramifications of upending someone's entire religious cosmology at the moment. Still, he couldn't help but be concerned about the idea of somebody using their false godhood in a more cruel fashion. Something to circle back to later, at best.

"For real?" Cato said, similarly surprised to learn that it was apparently a city. Though, as Asra explained, it had been abandoned for some time now, "A sacrifice…" He turned to Inanna with a knowing look. Her suspicions about her brother were seemingly not far off. "We're heading there at daybreak. Is there anything else you know or have heard? Anything we should know before going?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom