Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An extra set of redundancies (essentially adding more droid brains) would mean that both shipments of vondium would be needed on the first set. But miniaturization of droid brains (or computer cores) would be a welcome thing to do - and she couldn't thank the As-Aki enough for bringing that expertise here. Computer cores on battlecruisers or supercarriers would usually be taking up an entire bedroom or two, to the tune of two or three on the ship; Charzon realized that the As-Aki would give the same amount of functionality with computer cores big enough to fit inside a broomstick, albeit by using more of them, maybe a dozen or so.

"Your scale of operation is just what we needed: it will give the same functionality as our competitors at a fraction of the size"

"And spread out across more points on the ship, too. Thank you, Lyth" Marcia pointed out.

[member="Lyth Meran"]

Lyth Meran

Bullet with Butterfly wings.
[member="Charzon Loulan"]

" I thaught i screwed up for a moment there." Lyth said as she began dissecting a droid brain removing the personality subroutines.
" We did something similar to this with our 1st ship admittedly the ship was a mess but it wound up being a smart mess. removing the personality core gives you a cpu linking the brains literalu gives you more brains. the more you add the smarter the ship."

"That would mean one brain for each critical subsystem is probably best... weapon hardpoints have their own targeting computers, already devoid of personality subroutines"

"Marcia, that would mean one brain for the life support systems or two, one each for the sublight engines, one for the hyperdrive, and so on, so forth"

So what Lyth proposes is to take the electronics of a targeting computer, insert different programming that allows each of the droid brains to handle the load of what on other ships would be left to the computer cores, as if a cloud or networked servers, giving the ship more computing redundance. Charzon knew a little bit about the merit of networked servers, so she understood Lyth's logic pretty readily.

"That gives each component more smarts, so we got the hardware component pretty much completed by now. Is there anything you want from us on top of your pay?"

[member="Lyth Meran"]

Lyth Meran

" Nah. just keep us in mind if you ever need. a weird idea for a common problem on the future. " Lyth joked tapping her goggles.
then thinking about it she added.
"like i said we gave you a quote and we will stick to it. but we do have plans further down the lines. keep us i mind. look im sorry this isn't standard gear." Lyth apologized trying not to sound like she was fishing for work. after all Meran Mechanics was a start up company.

"Now that I know just how that weird idea works, the payment is almost there for you, it just needs to clear the bank"

Marcia reports that the software work is almost done for more segments of the ship's systems: life support was the first to be completed, alongside the targeting computers, and now the sublight engines. The hyperdrive component of the software was well on its way, and the shields were well on the way, too. And she was in no mood to write a thesis about AI because AIs requiring a thesis were often cutting-edge. Charzon didn't have the computing know-how to do that either.

"The trick is that you're wanting us to revert to a more primitive AI - even without personality subroutines, sufficiently advanced AI develop personalities on their own" Marcia warned Lyth.

[member="Lyth Meran"]

Lyth Meran

" you ever hear of a Kallsaki? its a sea-creature with 70 tentacles. each has a small nerve cluster to operate the tentacle independent from the other while the Kallasaki is in control. it's where i got the idea from. " Lyth admitted
" all we need is the interface and you are almost set to go."

"GUIs, oh GUIs, this is what will be used on the bridge once the ship is built. The interface must have several tabs, one for each sub-system"

Charzon knew that capital ship bridges are different from small-craft bridges. Often corvette bridges, especially light corvettes like the AT-AT barge she sold, were more like small-craft cockpits than starship bridges like those on supercarriers and the like, of which the ship on which it will be used will be mostly working like one. Charzon knew that sometimes the best solutions come from where you least expect them.

"There should be one droid brain specifically for the GUI on the bridge" Marcia told Lyth.

[member="Lyth Meran"]

Lyth Meran

[member="Charzon Loulan"] ( sorry i was trying to find an AI on the marketplace. )

" that was the plan anyway. there are a few Ai's on the marketplace. i'd suggest a Togroutan hooker programming. " Deran joked with a huge smile.
she was not verry good with people as she was with tech,

"Togrutan hooker programming? Might be a fine GUI for surveillance applications or security"

Charzon had one reflex in mind for AI, utilize that prototype of Hammurabi created by that Force-computer called Jessica, but it was too personality-prone to Lyth's taste. She had to respect the As-Aki sisters for their contributions to the computer core. But because the crowdsourcees were pretty numerous, there were enough crowdsourcees to become a good option for future computer engineering needs. Other components, probably not. That was a lot more complicated than assembling some computer geeks for a planet-wide crowdsourcing effort.

"We're almost done... looks like crowdsourcing was a success - we only needed 400 person-days of work!"

[member="Lyth Meran"]

Lyth Meran

" Truth be told i just find AI's to be creepy. Show me a hollo where they never tried to kill everyone?." Lyth joked.
" we will leave the choice of instalation up to you. but i recomend the Hammurabi Jessica model. it has a decent anti slice history as far as i recall. it should handel this load easaly. " Deran added looking up from her work building the device.

"Deran, how did you even get the Hammurabi in the first place? It hasn't been released yet - thanks to some bureaucratic problems"

In Charzon's recollections, the Hammurabi wasn't particularly noted for its ability to resist slicing, unlike some droid brains. While Jessica was treated back on Ringo Vinda (among the general population and at work alike) as people would treat a source of restricted material, Marcia was just a bystander. And, when you can pull out an AI out of thin air, that's obviously what was going to happen so long as Jessica was within Ringovinda StarYards or Ringovinda Systems property, and she was one of the most famous figures that resided in the hex. They accepted that, because the company mostly catered to the Republic and the Silvers, all three would make many enemies, especially in Sith space and to a lesser extent in Mandalorian space. And Jessica had the most enemies among the Design Triumvirate: she made more Mando enemies on Kashyyyk alone, who nevertheless refused to place bounties on her, than Charzon would ever hope to have.

[member="Lyth Meran"]

Lyth Meran

[member="Charzon Loulan"] ( did i screw up? Deran just suggested the thing. do you want her to have it?)

" Don't ask and i wont tell. ok? " Deran said tapping her nose. nodding to Kami the tiny bounty hunter.
" I prefer the term " Item reclamation agent" if you must know. it's up to you if you'd prefer a more.... legal alternative " She said tapping her goggles
" well the hard ware is basically complete." Deran said stretching her back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom