Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sith Alchemy and Restricted Materials

EmKay

I'm simply curious if you allow for Force Imbuing and Alchemisation of materials on the restricted items list. I'm developing ideas for personal items, and I'd like to know my limits. Thank you.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Atretes Rhoujen"]
We do, but those definitely require some substantial dev threads. I have a Force Imbued Beskar sword with one alt that took me a detailed dev thread and another character has three songsteel blades, all alchemically treated. That was all done in one thread with [member="Rave Merrill"] and was done in poetry and was about 70+ posts lol Fun times :p

In short, yes, you can, but expect to be held to a higher level of effort than a standard Force Imbued or Alchemical weapon.

Also you have to consider the compared attributes of both put together. Sith swords are known for being nigh indestructible, while Force-imbued swords can only retain their higher resistances when used in conjunction with the force. A force nullifying object can get rid of that resistances and make it become just a simple blade. So if you use both on a sword, you will have to find a happy medium between all of these different attributes.

[member="Popo"], I thought you could with in mind that if both were done at time of forging, and were both done with the Dark Side of the force? Looks like I learn something new everyday.

EmKay

[member="Popo"]
So... wait, your development thread was poetic for the entire thing, does that mean that I'll have to do the rhymed duel to unlock songsteel and then do the forging thread in that form as well, or was it more preference and/or killing both birds with one stone and/or something else?

[member="Rave Merrill"]
How serious? The problem with this forum is that it seems like you guys rely on post counts quite a bit, and I like to write long posts. So let's say... for an example, I've heard about there being a 'ten post minimum for training threads'. I'd much rather write two or three really long posts than ten posts with the same content broken up.

Also, can you specify what kind of reasons one would need? As [member="Dante Zankar"] said, it'd probably be more than simply "because I can do this so I will hahaha", but I mean some characters are on an unending quest for more power, others simply like to be prepared for any complications... it seems like a reason is a rather shaky subject.

Atretes Rhoujen said:
it seems like you guys rely on post counts quite a bit, and I like to write long posts

Atretes Rhoujen said:
'ten post minimum for training threads
No such limit exists anywhere in the rules, though I've also heard people erroneously cite many other post- and word-count-related 'rules' that aren't in there anywhere. The closest equivalent is that any thread submitted as development for a Factory submission needs to be at least ten posts, which is something of a bare minimum when some people stretch their threads on for dozens or hundred of posts. Even then, though, what matters above all is quality. Those who submit cursory ten- or fifteen-post threads as Factory submissions' dev threads tend to get disappointed.

When I told Dante he'd need a reason to combine alchemy and Force-imbuement, that was because, frankly, it's a useless and redundant thing to do unless you're after some very specific edge-case combination of their attributes. I can think of three subs, two by me and one by Isley, that combined the two, and all had serious development threads behind them and were for specific purposes. I was addressing Dante's subquestion, and that's what I meant by 'you would need a reason' - the reason being some kind of result where the combination of alchemy and Force imbuement by a master of both skills could produce a special effect. In the vast majority of cases, such a combination would be unreasonably difficult and give no worthwhile bonus. As for your original question, if you mean 'can you alchemize beskar' or whatever, certainly - within reason. I dev threadded and created a very, very powerful Sith sword whose metal isn't primarily or significantly alchemized for strength, because it's already songsteel. All the alchemical focus was on the sword's 'enchantment,' which was for a specific purpose.

Hope that answers your questions; if I wasn't clear or you'd like more detail or to do a followup, just tag me.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
That was a situation of killing two birds with one thread. A duel between smiths to forge swords, both smiths being Force Users. We did the entire thing in poetry to achieve the Restricted Material requirement for Songsteel. Actually, it was a huge amount of fun to do, eh [member="Rave Merrill"] lol!

EmKay

[member="Rave Merrill"]
I'm the investigative sort, so consider yourself tagged!

As you can probably tell by the questions I've lobbed at [member="Popo"], I'm in the process of plotting out getting Songsteel. So I'd like to get these clarifications kind of... out of the way.

As I'm beginning to understand, I think, Alchemy focuses on what the user desires, correct? So since Songsteel is already amazing, I would "simply" be able to imbue it with the deflection qualities and other things I'd want in it? Without altering the subatomic levels and strengthening the material or something.

Also, is it possible to create a nexus in the Force without it being aligned dark? I see a lot of mention of Sith Masterwork Swords being dark side nexuses, yet I never hear anything about simple neutral, Force nexuses.

The way I read the sources, it seems like the ability to reflect, not just block, blasterfire is pretty integral to the same sort of, well, bone-deep alchemical transformation that toughens normal metal into alchemical metal.

The nexus thing is something that hardly ever gets approved, and the submitter better be a Master-level character with a serious background in alchemy. I suppose it's possible to make a Just Plain Force nexus as part of a blade, in any number of ways, but I'd strongly suggest getting an experienced crafter to do it for you, or waiting until you hit Master to try.

EmKay

[member="Rave Merrill"]
This actually leads into my next question. Is it possible to make a more basic-quality alchemised blade now, and then improve upon that same sword later with more advanced knowledge? Or is it a process of 'done is done, if you want a better one you have to start from the beginning'?

EmKay

[member="Rave Merrill"]
What do you mean 'most', and what's the long answer? If you don't mind my continued inquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom