Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Show Me

Dromund Kaas, Proving Grounds

She had been mostly hands-off when it came to the education of her apprentices as of late. Alina had been venturing out as any ambitious young Sith coming into themselves was want to do, while Quinn was doing things her own way. Taeli doubted the Echani would want direct tutoring at this stage, rebellious as she was feeling, but Taeli wasn't worried about her at present. The Varanin girl needed some freedom, well perceived freedom, to make her own moves.

Which left Taeli summoning Alina to Dromund Kaas... as she was both curious what she had learned and experienced, and to provide more detailed instruction. Standing in the center of part of the proving grounds at the academy on Dromund Kaas, Taeli waited for her. The young woman had been very active in her travels and interactions, expanding her network and abilities Taeli was sure. Whether or not it would be enough to pass her test would remain to be seen.

A sparring session was called for.

Alina Tremiru Alina Tremiru

o1yfhSr.png

A lot had changed since Alina had last seen her master. So much, in such little time. Loosing her arms, regrowing them. Learning from the budding Sith groups across the galaxy. Learning from another master. The freedom she'd gained from learning how to better use the Force had only made her more hungry to learn more on how it worked. She couldn't use alchemy or sorcery, but to know how it worked gave her an edge against her foes. Learning how anyone used the Force gave her that edge.

She answered the summons immediately. Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf was her master, no matter where the young woman went or what flag she might fight under. She stepped into the proving grounds with her new sabers and her armor. There was no doubt in her mind that there was going to be some kind of battle. That's what the proving grounds were for.

"I've answered your summons, master."

"You've grown," was the reply from Taeli, the Sith lady slowly circling the apprentice. Appraising her, studying her, analyzing her. "I can sense your confidence in your abilities has grown. I can sense... a changing has occurred within you, physical and ethereal, that your touches with battle and war have shown you more paths to follow. Blood follows you now, a stained shadow on your spirit. You've taken lives, ended those that would seek you harm... and yet not all who have harmed you have met your vengeance yet."

She came to a stop facing the younger woman again.

"I do hope that your sojourns have brought even greater understanding and power to you, my young apprentice," she continued. "I've always felt that we Sith can learn so much more if we branch out where we seek knowledge. A true Sith knows that any knowledge gained is another weapon they can use against those in their path."

Her hand shifted, drawing her lightsaber and igniting it. Crimson light danced across the proving grounds as Taeli drew her saber up into a Makashi salute before bring it down to her side.

"Show your Master what you have learned. How you have grown."

o1yfhSr.png

Faintly glowing yellow eyes watched Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf as Alina listened. She had no intention of hiding the fact she'd gone to various other groups, but it was good to know her master applauded those efforts rather than want to punish her. Then again, this could be it's own punishment. The staff in Alina's hand ignited as she brought up her pike, giving a small nod. Knowledge was one thing, but practical application was far more important.

She took off like a bullet. While she'd of preferred taking her master by surprise, she knew all too well that she wouldn't be able to in this situation. Hit hard, hit fast. The most she could hope was that the speed in which she closed the distance might catch Taeli off guard. She wasn't daring to hold back, either. Everything she learned with Matukai to channel her passion into her body was brought out in that single thrust.

She waited for her apprentice to make the first move, and wasn't disappointed. The blonde launched herself forward, lightsaber pike poised for a thrust, moving quickly. Impressive, and she didn't sense the Force at work as she expected. Now she was curious at how Alina was rushing so fast, but that was a mystery to be solved later. The girl also understood another important thing; she needed to strike as thought she sought to kill Taeli. Good, very good.

In the moments before they clashed, Taeli subtly shifted her stance and deflected the thrust away with a flick of her wrist, a typical Makashi movement to deflect and redirect attacks away, never to take the full force of the attack against their guard. She felt more strength behind the strike, augmented strength as well as speed? How very interesting.

"You understand reach is important, good," Taeli said, carefully giving ground as she did, her blade positioned to redirect any strikes to come. "Use the advantages your body gives you. You're larger than me, physically stronger than me, have a further reach than I do."

She wasn't about to spoil that Alina wasn't the only one that had a lightsaber pike at their disposal, but as was her nature, the secret would remain so unless needed. From Taeli's free hand, a small ball of Force Lightning appeared and was tossed as though it were grenade.

o1yfhSr.png

Alina kept up her strikes in a constant stream of motion, not daring to halt her momentum after the first strike. Any lapse in concentration or movement would end poorly for the young acolyte. All parts of her pike were used, the songsteel halt offering a good bludgeon as she twirled the weapon through the air. It was obvious by the aggression in her form she'd taken up Juyo, but there was a deeper martial arts to how she used the polearm.

Without missing a beat she brought the bladed edge around as the grenade was tossed and quite literally cut right through it. Much like a thick eraser dragged through a drawing, severing the Force within it before the blade once more swung towards Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf . Alina knew all too well that even that second of focusing elsewhere could be taken advantage of.

Juyo influence, but more stylized. Unique to how she handled the pike, as many Juyo users would not be able to get the necessary power they wanted from quick thrusts and sweeps. It was more a fusion of Juyo and Jar'kai, she pondered even as she countered and deflected or redirected blows from the blade or the handle.

She sliced through the lightning grenade neatly, trying to keep the pressure on her Master. She understood that her superior physical skills would keep an opponent like Taeli, one more suited to Force abilities than the martial skills, on the defensive. But that was Taeli's style to begin with. She preferred to stay on the defensive until she had learned her opponent's capabilities, understood them, studied them, analyzed how they reacted to certain obstacles. She was clinical where others might not be.

Such a heavy focus on offense though could leave one vulnerable to quick surprises, especially with the focus necessary to keep Juyo's strikes coming as an unrelenting machine of battle. Case in point...

As the blade came in for its latest sweep, Taeli's free hand came towards it... and caught the blade. Tutaminis was a useful ability for Jedi and Sith to learn, but it took a powerful Master to absorb or catch concentrated energy like a blaster bolt or lightsaber blade with the skill. It was only for a moment, but Taeli's blade came up under the guard to point at her apprentice's chest for what would have been a kill strike.

"Never assume your opponent is distracted and are not merely feinting you," she remarked, disengaging a few steps so they could reset. "While I am not a master of martial talents or multitudes of lightsaber forms, I will teach you something more useful." She brought her lightsaber back into the traditional Makashi guard position. "Again."

INGA2ts.png

Everything came to a halt as she felt the heat of a saber pointed at her chest. It turned out to be quite a surprise as her saber stopped midair. What stopped it? The crystal, to her knowledge, produced a blade that could cut through the Force itself. What hadn't she taken into account? She gulped, half expecting to be cut by the blade. But quickly accepted the disengagement with grace. She pulled her pike back, twirling it in a hand as she listened to her master.

Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf had much more knowledge than most Lords, as Alina learned. It was why, even after joining the other Sith groups, after cutting down the imagery of the Empire under the guidance of the Worm Emperor, she still remained loyal to her. She wanted the knowledge. Everything. She couldn't use the knowledge directly, but she could teach others. And, more importantly, knowledge was power.

She gave a swift nod before diving right back in. Everything she did was the exact same, the blur of movement, the single, solid thrust. All up until the last second, where she suddenly twisted herself to bring the haft of her staff instead towards her master's legs. Using the length and reach to her advantage. Anything she could, really.

As Alina came in again, Taeli would shift her stance ever so slightly, her blade coming up into a different form. While she was an expert at Makashi, building upon her years of fencing before her life as a Sith, she had found another form much more suited her personality and her style. Soresu, the form of defense, was not one many Sith employed. It was viewed as too passive, not suited for the dark side, but she had always disagreed with that stance. It embodied one core concept of the darkness that some forgot; the darkness was patience... even stars eventually died.

The thrust came... and at the last second, the hilt came for her legs instead. Clever girl, and against other opponents, a useful tactic that made use of her superior reach. But, Taeli had a surprise of her own. The hilt of her own lightsaber extended, the phrik impacting against the songsteel in a dull but pleasant clang. Behind the red blade of her revealed lightsaber pike, Taeli smiled at her apprentice, and then twirled away to break the point of contact.

Spinning the pike like a baton, she positioned herself a few steps away again, saying as she did, "Always keep a few surprises in what you carry into combat. It can sometimes mean the difference between an injury or gaining a valuable chance to strike a momentarily stymied enemy."

She let out a whistle and from her shadow, three raven shaped shadows emerged to fly around her. Sith familiars were a small application of alchemy and sorcery, but they could be quite useful in other ways.

INGA2ts.png

A staff? Alina blinked in surprise as her trick met one of Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf 's own. Then grinned. She snapped back away from her master, taking a moment to re-observe her master's stance and weaponry. And the new arrivals. She recognized them immediately. Familiars. They could take different shapes, but with her families background she could see it. And she knew exactly what that meant. It made her that much more excited for what was going to come next.

She kept her distance this time, idly twirling her staff to keep herself from feeling to anxious. Surprises, huh? Perhaps that was the lesson to be learned here. Though, with all she learned there were some surprises she could give her master. The Familiars made a great test subject for what she wanted to try. She could feel the Anima running through them. Not blood, but the Force, twisted and dark. The flow they had. If there was just the one, she'd of done what she was planning right away. But there were three.

And Taeli herself.

She brought her blade around once more, in a smooth arc. Letting the red blade carve through the air before she rushed back in. She brought the blade around, looking like she was about to go right back into striking against her master, only to leap up at the last second, towards one of the Familiars. Her only hope was it would be surprising enough that she chose to attack them first. She reached out into that flow, her yellow eyes narrowing in a focused rage. Then tried drained them. Ripping the Anima from the creature to bring to herself.

There was the slight hesitation, that blink as she disengaged, retreated to study the familiars and the revelation of her Master's weapon. Taeli watched the girl, analyzing. She was excited, the increased twirling as she kept her distance displayed that, but for why? Interesting change. Then she launched herself forward, appearing to attack her again... and shifted to assaulting the familiars.

Taeli watched, fascinated, as the girl drained them of their power. Not a true Force Drain, something else... it felt different. A clatter of crystalline bones, all that remained of the three familiars, hit the floor as Taeli looked at the younger woman, flushed with energy stolen, with some pride.

"Impressive ability dear, but more... biologically gifted than a true talent," she remarked, her purples eyes examining her apprentice. Yes, she could see the change now more clearly. She hadn't the chance to dissect a Sangnir before, but she had heard the tales. It would appear her apprentice had really been broadening her horizons in her search for knowledge.

"However," the pride changed slowly to a neutral expression, "this is how you do it properly."

And a burst of sickly red-orange energy ribbons erupted from Taeli's hands to latch onto the apprentice, to drain away what she had taken and a little more, to show her what a true application, if smaller and less powerful than a full Death Field, of Drain Life could do.

INGA2ts.png

It worked better than she thought. Alina had only expected to get one of those familiars, but it seemed showing this new trick of hers gave Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf enough reason to let her continue. "For the first time I can feel the Force." She seemed plenty proud of herself, though the pride turned to anguish once the orange tendril reached into her very being. She yelped in pain, dropping to her knees as her essence was drained.

She couldn't let this happen for long, though. She ripped her blade up, letting the saber sever the connection as she tried to push herself up. The hollow feeling it left wasn't something she liked at all. But the power was there. The Anima that was drained. She could tell how. Even with the pain in her eyes the slight grin returned once she was standing again.

Alina might not be able to do it the exact same way, but there was something she could take and make her own.

Taeli watched as the blade struck through the tendril draining away Alina's life force, severing the connection and allowing the girl to recover. She would give her apprentice that time, fascinated as she was by the blade. Tutaminis had stopped it, but it had pierced through the draining energy. How very interesting, and it fit the girl's evolving theme. She could slice through conjured manifestations of the Force, and deaden the Force within her opponents, but she did see some flaws. Tutaminis was channeling the energy already present, and it had stopped the lightsaber blade, so improvements would be needed in time to stop channeling as well as conjuring.

But that brought an interesting question to her mind. How effective would it be against a Sithspawn? A theory to test at a later date for the younger woman. For now...

"To experience the emptiness of the Drain Life technique is to learn how to use it," she explained from afar. "As with Force Lightning, to feel its effect allows the victim to use the power themselves in time. That hollowness will never be filled, not completely, and it can become a hunger that can consume even the strongest of Sith if they do not control it themselves."

Much like the passions the Sith used for their powers. One must be master to their emotions, to their pain and experiences, and not a slave to them. It was a lesson she had learned the hard way, and it only made her stronger... more determined.

"I would believe, with what you have become, it will be quite useful, but also doubly so more potent a test of control. Now tell me, apprentice, about your travels and the other Sith sects you have interacted with."

370d9lz.png

Well that wasn't a fun thought. Missing a part that she'd never get back. Already it reminded her of her arms. While she got those back, it was unlikely she'd be able to put back what was taken. Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf wouldn't just say such carelessly. No, it didn't just remind her of her arms, but the hunger for blood she felt when she healed them. Not as strong, but still similar. Anima, then? Another thing to try and control. Such was the life of a Sith who wanted to be more than a weapon.

"The two groups I've been in contact with are of course The Lords and the Warlords. The Lords, far more. I've met the Worm Emperor and his dark council. He had me.. Break some of the chains I shouldered. The Rule of Order has kept the Sith strong for some time, but I don't aspire to be the servant of another forever. I've met many of their acolytes and measured their strength. Strong. The harshness of the training there has it's benefits. I've also met with some of their lords. Darth Maliphant knows I cross between the factions, and I plan to take whatever I can from him. In exchange, I tell him everything I learn about the Empire and the Warlords. Well, the information I choose to give, at last.

"The Warlords are.. Different. I've not done much with them, but the armies they command are impressive. They have.. Houses. Clans. Fiefs, or such. Ruled by a Sith with others below them. It's similar to the Rule of Order, but with more than one Order. I've no idea how it works to climb the ranks there. At least with the Lords it's as simple as outplaying your fellow Sith."
She paused her rambling before her face scrunched up in annoyance. "They also call those not of a Lord rank 'Broodlings'. Far too edgy for my taste."

And this was one reason why Taeli had no issues with her apprentices traveling abroad, learning from different sects, acquiring knowledge. They became valuable fonts of information, and as long as they remembered their loyalty to the Lady of Secrets, she would never cut off such journeying. Alina's ambitions were growing quickly, far faster than Taeli could even have hoped. The younger woman's desire for knowledge reminded Taeli of herself almost two decades ago when she had been taken to Coruscant and began her own tutelage in the dark side.

She listened in silence to Alina's answer, and like the apprentice, Taeli's nose scrunched in distaste at the mention of what the Warlords called their acolytes. Broodlings... sounded like some second year Sorzus student's alchemy project. It did sound like a hybrid system of feudalism and the old Sith power bases, and she was well aware of the Worm's rhetoric.

"As long as you share tidbits you think I might find interesting from the other factions and from Maliphant and don't reveal my own plans, I have no issues with your continuing to associate with the other sects," Taeli said, slowly circling again, twirling her saberpike in thought. Taeli herself was very much interested in learning about the other sects, for a variety of reasons, and all of them tied to the unchaining of her own ambitions. "Tell me more, Alina. Tell me of your travels."

370d9lz.png

There was a massive relief that Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf hadn't struck out at her for her admission to crossing the lines between Sith. Which she kept internalized. The fear of punishment was a quick way to receive them. Alina had only sought out knowledge, and there seemed to be nothing wrong with that to her Master. Her brow furrowed slightly. More? What more did she really have to say? Most of it was boring, really. Though there were a couple moments that might not be considered boring.

Moments she didn't exactly want to share.

"I've met several Jedi now, in their territory. They believe I might be swayable to join the Light. I care not what they think, but the information I've been able to gleam about how the galaxy views the Sith. Most see us as naught but monsters. With some other Sith, such as Vulcanus," She couldn't hide the hate in her voice at the name. "It's not too surprising. The galaxy does not fear us. They only see us as something that needs to be purged. Some don't care, but enough band together. This mess of wars we're in is a result of it."

Really she was trying to avoid the subject that influenced so much of her life now. But if Taeli found out on her own, what would that mean for Alina? She took a breath, her gaze falling to the ground. It wasn't shame that had her so nervous. Fear. "After Bastion, I lost my arms. I scoured everything I could find so I didn't need the cybernetics. And I wanted to do it on my own. Or at least with my own power. Ali and I found the Sangnir and together we became them. Regrew what was lost." There was more to it, if it wasn't obvious by the nervous drumming of her fingers on the staff of her saber. What Darth Strosius Darth Strosius and her had was exploitable. The less that knew, the better.

"He and I are.. Together."

The Master took in what the Apprentice had to say, studying it in her own mind as she continued to circle the proving grounds. The revelation that some Jedi believed Alina could be pulled over to the Light was interesting, but Taeli did not sense any real purchase of the light side within the Sangnir. Still, it was an avenue Alina could learn to exploit in time. That Alina also shared her Master's... distaste for Vulcanus and his Graug was highly amusing, but the second admission was more interesting.

She could appreciate the girl not rushing back to her after losing her arms. She would have had the answer, her scientists had developed a regenerative treatment that could have regrown her arms, but she wanted to prove she could solve the dilemma herself. An extreme solution, but a solution nonetheless and one that was... appropriate. And a lover as an added bonus.

"It is good to hear that some Jedi still have that desire to redeem every being they meet," she said, amusement coloring her tone. "That perception can be useful, Alina, so long as you remember what you are deep inside and can successfully mask your real intentions and thoughts from these Jedi."

Silence would hang for a moment, Alina knowing that Taeli was going to address her last admission but not knowing whether it would be good or ill. It was an exploitable weakness, but it could be strength. It could be a source of crippling or a struggle to emerge even stronger than before.

"Passions and connections are to be commended, so long as you don't allow them to dominate you," she replied slowly. "I don't condemn your relations, far from it. Embrace what you are feeling, and you will find a new source of power no matter how it goes."

She would leave one last thing unsaid as it was a lesson all Sith needed to learn first hand, and only that could happen between those with close connections. It was the way of the Sith to be treacherous, and as anyone could tell you, betrayal always comes from within.

370d9lz.png

"Masking my true intentions is something I'm still not sure on how to do, but they seem to like the idea that I'm a damsel that's been lead astray." It was a fun guise to adopt, but it was just a guise. She knew of abilities to hide her alignment and guard her mind. It was why she kept a Taozin amulet on hand. While it didn't hide her permanently, it did stop her from being found out immediately. But what she said was only to fill the silence. Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf was purposely making her wait.

Thinking up a punishment, then? Every moment of silence filled her with more and more dread. Only because she wouldn't turn her back on Alisteri, even if that meant her Master would decide to kill her.

To her surprise, no such thing happened. She was.. Complimented? Alina stared at her master, utterly confused for a moment longer. She hadn't even thought of the power behind such a connection. It was a form of passion, though, right? The nervous demeanor turned much brighter as she even let herself smile. She wasn't even thinking about the idea she might get betrayed.

She was just happy.

"Thank you, master."

She could feel the happiness rising up in the younger woman, and a great deal of relief. She had been worried about what her master would think of such a relationship, worried that her master might demand something of her that would cause her a great deal of pain. Taeli was certainly not above making her apprentice face hard choices, but she wasn't going to be unduly cruel... unless it became warranted. But Alina had shown herself capable and resourceful, shown herself to have ambition beneath that shy exterior that had worn away.

And besides, a relationship with another acolyte was not as exploitable as other connections could be.

"I have no reason to be against Acolyte Haxim and a coupling between you two could lead to some powerful advantages for you both. You've done well, my apprentice, thus far in your education. However, I sense a deeper desire within you for something," she said, her pacing coming to a halt to face the Sangnir. "Giving voice to your wants and needs is half the task of claiming them, so speak up, my dear. What are you desiring?"

370d9lz.png

Her wants and needs? Alina herself wasn't entirely sure what they all were herself. At least, not what she thought was achievable. The young Sith's brow furrowed in thought. It wasn't a far leap, truly, to figuring out where she could start. But simply voicing it aloud was far more troubling than she expected. Another moment of hesitation as she clenched her fists.

"I want to take the Tremiru house from my mother. Make it's guard into my powerbase. Then grow that until none can challenge me."

Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom