Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should there be a great force using purge?

Should their be a great force user purge?

• Total voters
Hear me out, I think this could be a good idea that makes me sound slightly hypocritical but heyo. What I was thinking is that we "purge" the force users of Chaos. You see, what I think this will lead to is firstly a great government that runs and controls the map, leaving only a few major factions around, such as The Hutt Cartel, Mandalorions and those. This might limit a few things, but I believe limiting is a minor downside. This will also mean that the force users can't walk around with a lightsaber, flashing force powers. This removes a major pet peeve of mine. Using the force in places with other force powers you know and trust is fine, using it in battle against other force users is fine. Using it on the sly to mind trick someone is fine. Using the force in a very noticeable way is wrong. This will stop force users using the force and carrying lightsabers with them in public, simple as.

I personally think it could lead to a great roleplay, even if it's only done for a few weeks or months. Force users would be hunted if they don't manage to hide and I think that would lead to great roleplay. This leads to them either being recruited into the major government or being locked away and thus have the perfect opportunity to roleplay and escape.

I don't suggest we get rid of the force users, no, just leave them like this for a while.

Discuss.

[member="Jardo Snow"]

Personally, I believe this would be terrible. Half of star wars is jedi and the force, its what people love role playing. Removing, restricting or limiting those intial steps will be met with hate and scorn, as well as a drop in interest in this site. Personally, I am against it

Expanding on my initial point, its basically discriminating against those that wish to play force users, no matter the alignment or writing style. You're hitting a huge chunk of the Chaos population, as well as many of it's longest running members

Mirrorverse dealt with this in an alternate reality. Netherworld saw the Force itself nulled and rendered somewhat useless for the duration of the event.

But this would never fly for a non-voluntary-event type scenario.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
No and why

Star Wars is the force, I mean one of the main things that sets it from other scifi at the time was... you had a group of people in the galaxy good and evil that could use magical power in a technologically advanced universe. Every scifi series has soldiers, has gangsters, few had hokey religions and ancient laser swords

As with most things suggested like this in the past on other sites, it will only lead to decline of the sites populace and make good characters disappear for no other good reason than "just cause".

People will go where they can play and write what they want.

Jardo Snow said:
[member="Tsavong Kraal"]

What about if we went with it, made it voluntary?
Were it to be proposed as an event, the story's premise would have to be good enough to beat out all the other ideas that would be floated.

Off the cuff, I just wanna be real with you and say this wouldn't get very far in the creative process. It's a bit played out right. Maybe later down the road, though.

Jardo Snow said:
This will stop force users using the force and carrying lightsabers with them in public, simple as.

Discuss.
No, for all the reasons stated above.

As an aside, I'm curious why you'd think that open carry of lightsabers is wrong.

We have 3 Jedi Orders (4 if we count JAN), the Obsidian Order, Jensaari, the One Sith, and the Primeval/Seekers of the Rift (though the Primeval is a religion not limited to Force Users). There are Jedi and Sith among the Mandalorians not affiliated with the above, and other independent characters, all free to roam about a galaxy where being a Force User is not a crime. We also have NFUs who use and carry lightsabers (I trained one of them as a matter of fact).

Using Han Solo as an example, it's clearly quite normal in the society to open carry a blaster. So why not a lightsaber? I'd expect that the general populace of the galaxy wouldn't even know what it was. Looking at the prequels, while the Jedi Robes usually concealed the lightsaber this was only due to hanging over the belt. Nothing in screen canon makes me believe that the Jedi made any attempt to conceal their lightsabers until you get to Rebels. And then it's only Kanaan who hides his lightsaber. Ahsoka and Ezra both open carry.

As someone who writes all of his Force Users as openly carrying, I find myself stuck on that one sentence in your statement and going, "why wouldn't they?"

If you take away anything from Chaos, or even suggest it (anime), problematic situations arise. We've even been attacked because of such things.

If you want to keep YOURSELF away from all the Jedi, Sith, ect, you may, but no one's going to be taking away all the Force users all the sudden. It would be... well. Chaos.

I knew something like this would arise eventually, and as much as I would love to hit that little yes vote, I ultimately have to hit the 'no'.

While there is so much more, so much, beyond just the 'Force' in Star Wars, too many people have forgotten this and have deemed it that only Force Users count. This is too often the case, and those few among us who run Non-Force Users are finding it difficult often to find that little niche that a Force User can't dominate and those are dwindling. If you even mention a faction or view point of getting rid of Force Users, you're often targeted and shunned because of it, just because you want to look at Star Wars in a different light.

When I watch the movies, I don't watch it because they have the Force. I couldn't care less about Luke, Vader, Palpatine, Ben or the Jedi. The Force has become a joke, a catch all for people to claim they can do anything because the Force.

Rewatch Star Wars and if you pay close enough attention, you'll see that it is not about the Force. It was just thrown in there as an after thought almost. Even Lightsabers (which in the original draft was an item to be used by everyone) was relegated as the weapon of Force Users.

When I watch Star Wars, I look at everyone and everything else that is happening and isn't beholden to the Force. To claim that Star Wars is all about the force is to say that Leia should have given up the location to the Rebel base rather than undergoing torture and the loss of her homeworld just to say it.

Saying that Star Wars is all about the Force is to essentially say that the actions of anyone other than Force Users doesn't matter, and to me that is a problem.

As much as I would love to vote for a site wide purge, I have to say no, because too many people view Star Wars as nothing more than just the Force and Force Users. It would create too much, and would likely result in a mass exodus just because people couldn't play Force Users anymore. People wouldn't be allowed to say they pull off some uber awesome move or technique because 'the force'.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Sor-Jan Xantha said:
it's only Kanaan who hides his lightsaber. Ahsoka and Ezra both open carry.
ehh I'd argue Ezra for technical reasons since his lightsaber is specifically designed to not look traditional. So him "openly" carrying it when it looks like a shoddy blaster and is used like that 50% or more of the time.

Also jedi had their sabers with their robes and the outer one could usually conceal it same way a jacket conceals a pocket on a shirt. It just goes over it naturally.

The rest I can agree with and am curious why it is wrong. By rebels and the empires time it was illegal cause jedi were "bad and evil" so hunting them down meant hiding it.

Matsu Ike said:
ehh I'd argue Ezra for technical reasons since his lightsaber is specifically designed to not look traditional. So him "openly" carrying it when it looks like a shoddy blaster and is used like that 50% or more of the time.

Also jedi had their sabers with their robes and the outer one could usually conceal it same way a jacket conceals a pocket on a shirt. It just goes over it naturally.

The rest I can agree with and am curious why it is wrong. By rebels and the empires time it was illegal cause jedi were "bad and evil" so hunting them down meant hiding it.
Perhaps. Luke, in Empire, is wearing his lightsaber on his belt and it's quite open.

None of my FUs dress like Jedi (no robes). I suppose I could put SJ in a black leather duster, slick back his hair, and maybe add some sparkles for added Twilight vampire effect... but, yeah... all my characters have their lightsaber on their belt, and there's just no outer garment that would cover it up.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
There should be ICly. The Force users on the site have given the other 99.9999999999% of the galaxy no reason to want them around. When every war and calamity is caused by a certain few organizations of supernaturally privileged individuals... Yeah. People tend not to act kindly to that.

OOCly, well... you've already encountered the resistance. It's not going to happen. (Even though the OP never suggested eliminating the Force, banning Force user characters, or restricting Force abilities.) You'd have to arrange for such a situation to be recognized sitewide, which is difficult in itself. And just look at the RPs on this site. An NFU is hardly worth a potato chip, but Jedi and Sith will expend massive amounts of energy and rack up a hefty NPC death toll just to 'convert' or 'redeem' a single Force user. It's ridiculous and reduces the Sith to baby-eating psychopaths instead of calculating engineers of control. And the Jedi hardly look any more upright, forgiving bloodthirsty Sith in exchange for "turning to the light"--but apparently none of the ungifted get a shot to repent of sins. It's not pretentious to point this out. It's common sense.

I'm not going to get any likes for this post (as if I cared), but popularity never equates with truth.

I must say, I agree with points made above, all of them are good points. I will try and answer as many as I can.

Sor-Jan Xantha said:
No, for all the reasons stated above.

As an aside, I'm curious why you'd think that open carry of lightsabers is wrong.

We have 3 Jedi Orders (4 if we count JAN), the Obsidian Order, Jensaari, the One Sith, and the Primeval/Seekers of the Rift (though the Primeval is a religion not limited to Force Users). There are Jedi and Sith among the Mandalorians not affiliated with the above, and other independent characters, all free to roam about a galaxy where being a Force User is not a crime. We also have NFUs who use and carry lightsabers (I trained one of them as a matter of fact).

Using Han Solo as an example, it's clearly quite normal in the society to open carry a blaster. So why not a lightsaber? I'd expect that the general populace of the galaxy wouldn't even know what it was. Looking at the prequels, while the Jedi Robes usually concealed the lightsaber this was only due to hanging over the belt. Nothing in screen canon makes me believe that the Jedi made any attempt to conceal their lightsabers until you get to Rebels. And then it's only Kanaan who hides his lightsaber. Ahsoka and Ezra both open carry.

As someone who writes all of his Force Users as openly carrying, I find myself stuck on that one sentence in your statement and going, "why wouldn't they?"
I'm more than willing to answer. I believe that a lightsaber is fine to carry around friends and those you trust. What I think people are forgetting is the amount of thieves around. Carrying a lightsaber in public is a massive risk, a risk people seem to forget exists. A blaster is something that can be bought, they are replaceable. A lightsaber is a hella lot harder to replace than a blaster, that's what I think people seem to forget, and that's why I think they shouldn't be openly carried in public.

Nima Tann said:
You mean another Order 66 for all the force users?

Nah, not a good idea. Would restrict so much than being fun.
I don't see how this restricts so much? It doesn't remove force users, it doesn't kill off the force users. The idea of it is that force users have too much IC power and from a perspective that power needs to be limited. I agree with Beowoof when he states "There should be ICly. The Force users on the site have given the other 99.9999999999% of the galaxy no reason to want them around. When every war and calamity is caused by a certain few organizations of supernaturally privileged individuals... Yeah. People tend not to act kindly to that."

I also don't see how it would restrict so much than being fun. I see plenty of fun within this, so yeah.

"As much as I would love to vote for a site wide purge, I have to say no, because too many people view Star Wars as nothing more than just the Force and Force Users. It would create too much, and would likely result in a mass exodus just because people couldn't play Force Users anymore. People wouldn't be allowed to say they pull off some uber awesome move or technique because 'the force'"

Did I ever mention how much I love reading your stuff [member="Amelia Sorenn"] ? You always make me smile, but even at times I have to point at certain things you write. I never once stated that we stop people using the force, that was never a thing. What I suggested is we make sure the force users don't continue using the force out in public without a valid reason.

Nima Tann

Master of Her Own Destiny
[member="Jardo Snow"]

It can be fun in an event, which would be something like this.

Galaxy is tired because of the clash between Light and Darkness, two sides of the Force, the war never ends because one side always remains and where there is Light, there is Darkness as well or vice versa. The people are tired of being in the middle of a fight they don't belong. So, one of them throws an idea. "What if we destroy both of the sides so we don't need to deal with these wars?" With a little spark, a whole forest would burn. So, this idea spreads like a virus from one Non-Force User to another, which would start a rebellion towards the Force, and whoever seen using this power would be a danger in the eyes of those people, and they would start their quest to hunt them all.

Something like that.

Yet, in general, it's not going to work. It's going to be very much drama if we do something like this, and would take away the freedom the forum provides to its users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom