Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ships of the Line

Triter Zone

The Littlest Space Pirate
Ahoy, spacers.
I've been drafting tech ideas for our faction of late, and have had one on my mind in particular. As we're going to be a primarily spacefaring empire, it would make sense for us to develop strong warships of indigenous design and construction.
Some of you may already have seen one of my latest tech submissions: trikiirium, a new take on an old type of starship armor. Though available on the open market, the intention for such a metal as this should be plain to you.
We're going to put putting together some armored hulls.

Obviously, the construction of these warships is going to be quite a ways off; we'll need to expand our capacities considerably in order to manufacture anything so large and complex. That being said, it's never too early to start planning.

P03j6mbo.gif
I made that animation myself. You may all be impressed.
This is the first capital-class "ship of the Line" which I envision. It's a frigate, a little over 300 meters in length, with 8 rows (4 per side) of heavy blaster cannons. You'll note the slender lines, over-sized engine pod and cylindrical central section; the concept behind this design is a fast attack ship and commerce raider. Plated in heavy trikiirium armor, she can perform close passes on enemy warships, raking them with her volley-firing blaster cannons at ranges too close for shields to be effective. Against smaller vessels, she can deploy a full squadron of starfighters, and that big forward pod is a heavy tractor beam; get caught by that thing and you aren't going anywhere fast.
There are probably also concussion missile launchers and a few ion cannons. That center section also contains the sensors, shields and power systems of a ship three times her size.
You'll also note the symmetrical design; front and rear hull sections are mirrored, aside from certain details which are themselves modular. The whole ship is meant to require as little variation in parts as possible, making it easier to construct and/or repair. She will be much easier to mass produce than some of her contemporaries in other factions, and will have some advantages on them besides.
Simplicity is its own quality.

I wanted to post this as a showcase of what I want our faction's indigenous ships and other tech to be like. It should be simple; think of ways cheap things can be used to greater effect. Even basic devices can be devastatingly effective in the right hands, and we intend to be the right hands.
Novelty has its place, of course, and it's an important place, but it should be designed with what I mentioned in mind.

I'd also like to know what you all think of this. What kinds of ideas do you have for our faction's fleet and other tech, either in the future or closer to the present?

The Talatheen Amalgam

Lord Cross; Laodicean Brothers Eternal
[member="Triter Zone"]

First: Can we submit all of our tech subs with beautiful and animated pixel art? I love working with that medium during my spare time to unwind from writing.

But, all that aside, cheap things being used to greater effect - a brilliant idea and one that will reflect not only on our own creativity as writers, but upon the faction's "character," per se. Are there particular materials you wish to use for tech subs - perhaps for merely aesthetic reasons, to leave our coloring or appearance more uniform; maybe you would prefer a particular style of technology? There are thousands of cultures with their own niches within technological development - do you intend for us to borrow from them, perhaps any in particular, or if our tech designs should be entirely unique?

But beyond where appearance and aspects-largely-unrelated-to-function go, do you have a plan for what we require technology-wise? You're plowing ahead with subs, I've been keeping up with them to the best of my ability; do you have ideas of what roles you want your tech to fill or are they simply born as individual creations?

Also, are we (non-OOC staff) permitted to submit tech for the faction? If so, would you like us to submit our drafts for review?

Anyway, fantastic work sharing your visions - its a talent that allows you to stand out as a leader - and a special congratulations on the animation, it looks fantastic!

(P.S. Sorry for the carpet bomb of questions.)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Triter Zone"] - That pic is awesome and makes me want to play FTL again. :D

Also. Such a design is excellent and well thought out. Bravo. I'll list my personal fleet preferences but keep in mind, they ain't no Larraq, Popo, or Ayden formations. So, grain of salt yeah.

• Capital Ships - Big Beefy Uber Long-Range Guns x1000
  • Fleet Carrier - Thousands of Intercepters which defend the Capital Ships.
  • Cruisers - Multi-mission roles and mostly PvE stuff. Needs lots of shuttles and science gear.
  • Frigates - Stealth Bombers or Anti-Fighter Missile Boats.
  • Starfighters - Anti-Capital Ship Torpedo Bombers mostly.
  • Interceptors - 360' swivel gun repeaters for Anti-Starfighter duty
  • Bombers - Never use them.
  • Drop Pods - Ship-to-Ship penetration.
  • Cheesy Fancy Stuff - ECM Boats, Sensor Masking Nets, Droid Firewalling, A.I. Wireless Hacking, Battle Meditation (Jedi), Krath Illusions (Sith).

___

[member="The Talatheen Amalgam"] - I'm not Triter but, I'd say YES to anybody submitting ships. And NO to requiring drafts or reviews. :p

Triter Zone

The Littlest Space Pirate
[member="The Talatheen Amalgam"]

Lovin' the questions!
For the pixel art; yes. GODS yes. Love to see that kind of stuff. Not saying you can't use cool pictures you find, but if you can generate your own art for a submission, that's preferred.

For style and aesthetics, I would say we're looking for something of a "pirate" theme in our tech, if you can find images and ideas that aren't just impractical or overtly anachronistic, if that makes any sense. Needs to be high-tech, not steampunk.
I was looking at this armor, for example; you'll note the details of it. Shame it's sort of the wrong color, but maybe I can get that changed. As for color, the faction colors I'm envisioning are dark green and silver or white. If you can help it, that should be reflected in any images.
Oh, Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon-style stuff also works, if it doesn't just look silly. Same for sci-fi art from the 1980s.

As for the plan, I'm afraid there isn't quite one yet; I'm mainly making things that we'll conceivably need. The general rule is that stuff should be practical and, preferably, simple to make. The Sith have resources to burn on eighteen million different kinds of power armor; we don't, yet. If we must have it, best to make it one that's either very cheap to build and does its job reliably, or is suitable for all kinds of roles. Preferably both, if you can swing it.

As for submitting tech, feel free to have at it! All I ask, though, is that if you're iffy on a concept fitting in, send me a PM with the image and a brief note on what the thing will do (doesn't have to be long at all), and I'll let you know. If you want to surprise me, that's fine too, just make sure your concept and your writing are of good quality.
That, I'm certain, shouldn't be hard for any of you.

[member="Karen Roberts"]

Useful information here! At some point, I suppose I'm going to have to come up with a post on the fleet and the Order of Battle, as well; and I'll certainly bear these ship concepts in mind for future submissions.

[member="Triter Zone"]

In the mean time, Justice Shipping has a few hundred war ships (Most are blocade busters, but eh, it'll do) and a few min star destroyers that can be leased out and used for the empire, all I ask for is a thread to say you hired them out ((so that I can buy more when I use said thread to level up Justice shipping ;) )) and for you to tag me in said threads that they are used. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom