Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ship like this, be with you 'til the day you die...(PM for Invite)

Mandalore_system.jpg
Ijaat was bone tired... No, tired as a dead strill, or even worse... It seemed like no matter how he slept, or what he did, he was always on the ragged edge. But time had made him realize that, with his deal with ArmaTech, he had been trying to run his company much like he always had when it was a custom armory dealer. Sadly, that was just not possible anymore really, or healthy. Things were advancing too fast, and so he had begun to hire more apprentices, begrudgingly admitting the old crop of them were more than capable of running their own divisions or projects on small scale now, after almost seven years, some of them even keeping the place afloat while he had disappeared into the Netherworld.

So the time had came for Ijaat to return to his roots after the recent delegation of duties and projects. Rather than everything flowing through him, he would begin to work on the bleeding edge of personal armor and weapons, specifically with beskar and other high end materials. But to do that, to secure more mining contracts for more materials to work with and diversify with (not everyone was worthy of the Iron of Mandalore, after all) regards to who he could sell to, he needed something he had never really had a need for: a ship. And a rather special, unique ship. More so than the little patrol crafts he barely managed to not wreck all the time.

So he had searched first for the best ship minded person he knew, an old contact named Jorus.... But Jorus had seemed to be away, for weeks... So he had sought out the other underground contact he had in his books that might be able to help with ships of such a design. Coren Starchaser. He only knew the lad by reputation alone, but that was favorable enough he sat waiting in a dry-dock bay with a dataslate in hand, dressed in a casual workers set of clothes one might find on any blacksmith or factory worker, down to the leather apron rolled up in the small of the back.

Though, if one looked close enough, the leather apron was terentatek hide, cured to be unbelievably tough. His hammer at his hip, a heavy strikers maul, was carved hjarma stone with beskar banding and keying all about it, and the haft being carved and treated veshok wood. The clothes were cotton, true enough, but a fine count and blend of rare Tusken Cotton, that felt nearly as smooth as raw silk in its own way. The boots were rancor-hide with bone accents of the same animal, and an impossibly ancient sword rested on his left hip, it's presence alone seeming to cast an odd aura in the Force if any cast their senses around it.

For now, he waited, and hoped, that Coren would come.

[member="Coren Starchaser"]

The Mandos had made some pretty interesting starships. His D-5 Mantis was no different. The Tiburon was Coren’s standard attack and strike vessel, and really his mode of transit until the Tachyon Rising was ready for launch again. Csilla hit the vessel hard and he needed to make sure his crown jewel was in tip top shop. Besides, the Mantis was… she was comfortable. All the creature comforts and unlike the Rising had Underground IFF. Something that would bounce the ship to being registered at Ord Mantell, but if the right scanners found her?

They’d know.

And with Jorus Merrill out on his own quest for a bit, Coren was doing his best, along with Khaleel and a few others to keep the Underground running smooth. Stepping up as best he could, was what Coren was doing. Not forgetting his other tasks, but taking the strikes in on One Sith space between making lesson plans and navigating around some fething planetoid in the Unknown Regions that might or might not have Kaiju living on it.

But right now? He was coming out to Mandalorian Space. Word from one of the Underground supporters about a ship construction. Coren was working on forming a list of recent shadowports and places for Underground cells to retreat to, and seek cover, so any ship that was reaching out to them that was big enough? You can bet he’d be looking to see what he could do to help.

He pulled the Tiburon into the mentioned hangar space and stepped from the vessel after powering it down. Corellian bloodstripes on his denims and a flight jacket over a Henley shirt, Coren looked very much the spacer.

Turning to look at the large construction, he nodded over to it. “She your new ride?”

Needed work.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Ijaat shook his head ruefully a bit and smiled, the shake turning to a guilty nod as he scrubbed at his black hair. The thing was barely a chasis, and it already apparently wasn't too good looking. But, if he were honest, he was a weapons and armor designer, and this was his first foray into ship building. Somewhere in the little ear-comm he wore, he heard Geoff chuckle, and shook his head, a brief consideration of what it would feel like if you could strangle a being that was essentially numerous lines of ones and zeroes and not really alive or physically present. But he needed Geoff way more than he could admit. Right now, he was keeping him sane and moving. Ijaat just had to get away from people so much. Or have a better way to than the island.

"Yes.... This marvelous wonder of technology and machinery you see before you is my ship. Or, well, it will be.... It's really more an outline, or a concept, and not really the final product... There's a lot of stuff I want in it, and well... See.... I don't build ships.... At all... Ever.... I can barely pilot a speeder. So my idea and the execution of it have hit some snags... Major snags if I'm honest.... There are some features I just can't seem to reconcile, and when it gets to things like hull plating, I just think too much like a footsoldier... So I think Geoffery here can explain it best..."

Tapping the data pad, he slid it to Coren with a free hand, the other shifting to his personal wrist data-pad Xander had gifted him with, slipping on the shadez the man had also designed, and instantly having a direct line to Geoff. The small speakers he added to the device on his wrist boomed with a cultured, lilting and aristocratic accent that belonged to his A.I. Ijaat held the screen up to reveal a blue holographic looking face intently staring at Coren from the projector screen, Ijaat's gaze with the shadez providing sight to the marvelous being he had somehow created.

"Ahh, hello sir. I am Geoffery, the Artificial Intelligence unit and true brains behind this operation... That datapad contains my original files for a 350 meter or so ship/station that Ijaat has extensively altered and subsequently mucked up. I am at a loss currently as to the best design, and so we figured a third opinion might be best for the matter. Do you have any particular input just from the brief schema overview I pulled up for you?"

Now Coren understood what made a ship. Man was a pilot, born from a Jedi ExplorCorps member with a penchant for outflying Jedi Aces back before the situation (as it is being called bcause we’re translating Order 66 to Chaos time frame) as it was called happened. Then Coren was on his own, flying his beloved Tachyon Rising, which, yes, it was a Ford F-100 out maneuvering Ducati Streetfighters. At least the man in charge here knew the ship needed work.

Coren ran a hand through his hair at Akun’s admission that he wasn’t a shipwright. Coren was… well he kept the Dawn Treader flying for a while. At least that was what the datacrons said. “What are your issues?” Coren quirked up an eyebrow. That was a frigate, the skeleton of one, at least. Could do a lot of work to make that a pretty good ride. Of course, he’d want to use it to house refugees and Underground members when it could.

Not all the time, just when it was needed.

Right, of course, someone else. But an … AI? That was not expected.

“Yeah, us orgos always muck up the words, huh, Geoff?” Coren grinned. He could charm most things. Typically. Coren looked at the output on what the schematics were looking for. “I can probably help you work. Whats your wallet looking like for the operations?” Avionics and all that? He knew people who knew people. But he also knew what was needed.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

There was a hmming sprat like noise from the speaker of his wrist-unit, which passed for Geoffery laughing, though Coren might know. Embarassingly enough, the files from ArmaTech and Gotal'Veman came up, privately he owned enough to make a ship. Combined with the Stipend from Draco's company, and he owned enough to do more than make a ship, he could easily make on the likes of which the galaxy had never seen or heard or before. The numbers that blinked, stayed steady on the screen, and then flashed away were a fair bit more than anything you would need for a ship privately. Granted it wasn't infinite, but Ijaat was certainly more rich than he had ever been.

The image of Geoffs' "face" came back to the screen and cocked an eyebrow to Coren, smiling in a very pleased way. Likely Geoff had been investing some of the money in stocks and trades and bonds of various governments, he had turned over the accounting and such to the AI as soon as it had seen the state the books were in when kept by Ijaat alone. It was not a question of capacity or ability for Ijaat. He just really didn't care about how much he made, more that he got to do projects that challenged his boundaries and pushed him to do more. With Geoff, that was certainly happening a lot more often.

"I am of the mind that figure should be enough to fund almost any sort of ship we need... Now... I was also of the opinion we change several key features, adding of course beskar plating to the hull for durability, and maybe a few sensory packages. The nav section will be a sore spot, but being that we lack much experience in the Outer Rim we're hoping enough money could buy star maps and hyperlane routes from various companies and cartels to fix some of that... What were your thoughts, Mr. Starchaser, if we were to start fresh on most of this?"

Alright, so… money wasn’t an option here, now was it? Good. That made it a bit easier. Sure, Coren was part of a paramilitary group who had to hodgepodge their fighters until they got involved with the Fel Imperium and then the Fringe Federation. With the TIE Exalts in fair condition and most less than a year or two old, the repairs were simple and clean. Not having to keep aging TIE/Ads flying by duct tape and the repair crew’s hopes and dreams. “Got a bit of funds, then.”

He looked at the desk and made a nod to Akun that he was going to sit. Needed the holonet terminal, just in case he wanted to make a list of products. Some of it was better homegrown, and lately, especially working with Merrill a fair bit, Coren was learning… or re-learning the finer points of avionics construction, and setting up navigation systems. Levantine Frontiers Corp and the Astro Academy helped him there.

“Well, the hull, that’ll be all on you and Akun. Beskar’ll be heavy, but if we’re in space.” He tipped his head to the side and shrugged. “Best I know for the sensors are…” He typed a few words through the holonet and pulled up a few packages. “I’m a fan of Santhe and Silk for most of their systems… At that point its really a matter of preference. As for navigations… Baobab Astrography has great maps, Silk again for systems… Or we can assemble our own.”

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

"I believe we can handle the beskar... I was thinking a moderately sized plating actually, to counter-act just such weight issues... Santhe and Silk is a welcome addition, but most of their high end systems are sold to only certain clientele which Ijaat and I might not be regarded as a member of, if I am honest. Assembling our own for maps might be a good side project, but we'll want to make sure to have something with good hyperouts for escaped and hiding... My employer there is quite interested in keeping, specifically, away from the One Sith for a good long while. Is there a particular package you would recommend out of this for an exploration vehicle that may not always be adherent to local codes and laws?"

At this Ijaat grunted and drained the mostly full tihaar glass in on pull, quite a feat, and nodded to Geoff and Coren.

"All that sounds well, except for the employer part. I don't pay you Geoff. Also, what are we doing for a hyper-drive? I want a get-out-quick call even if this beauty is a bit heavy"

"You pay me sir, you just don't notice it. I told you, you are terrible at book keeping."

Blinking, Ijaat snorted something that seemed like he was questioning why an Artificial Intelligence needed money and proceeded to re-fill the glass of tihaar he had on the table.

"So, hyper drives?"

Coren had no mind for armor and armoring of a ship. What he had a mind for was keeping a ship light and keeping it out of fire. He was fast, and hit hard. Beskar was slow and still hit hard. He’d let Akun and Geoff here hand those parts of this ship’s construction. “For maps, Baobab Astrography, Merrill’s little project, offers some of the best. Between that and the Sanctum, you can get just about anywhere.”

One project he knew he’d want to help with was expanding those maps. It was how he worked, he was a trailblazer, a navigator and someone who could put it all together. Blame the Force. No other gifts, but that? That he could do. “But as for a package. Silk offers their Silkworm Nav package. That one is installed on two of my personal vessels. I swear by it.” Like all of Silk products.

“Hyperdrives? MandalHypernautics can’t help?” Or whatever they were called. Two companies, right? “Aside from that I can see what’s laying around Actual. We did just work on a project to start building new drives. Most companies are able to get you to point seven. I dunno what this ship will be able to clock though." She was looking big.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

"The 500 Series HyperDrive from MandalHypernautics would be a good fit. Very fast, with a suitable backup. Scanning the report, the SIlkworm Nav does seem quite suitable, I like the secondary lanes and the alternate routes. Just what we need in this vessel really.... Now as for armaments? I don't want too much on it, to avoid Ijaat's penchant for shooting first... So... Moderate aramemnts and rely on armor?"

Geoff rambled on as Ijaat listened, stroking his goatee and pondering, trying to listen and learn as he could. These two obviously knew what they were on about, and he trusted Geoff with his life. And this Coren seemed to be trustworthy enough.

Coren had been working in and around starships most of his life, definitely all of his adult life. He hadn’t built many, but he had ideas on their construction and a pattern when he was outfitting custom vessels. He really should be getting into this on his own, setting up the Dawn Treader and a few other places as a workshop. Hyperdrives and engines, they were the first place he spent time and effort. Next would come weaponry.

“If you’re worrying on a personal vessel, a mobile home of sorts… weaponry should be a last defense. A ship should worry on speed, and armoring for its protection. It’ll bog down an processor to run a larger ship’s weaponry without organics, no offense meant, Geoff. I’d focus on anti-missile and anti-starship defense. Quad lasers and the like.” Simple, and effective. “Maybe a pair of turbo lasers… Unless you really want the firepower.”

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

"No offense strictly taken... Though.... I could likely pilot something approaching a star destroyer with droid crew, but it would not be optimal performance, and i'd be only able to do that.... Ijaat based me off a flash cloned and genetically engineered brain from his own mind, and then genetically enhanced to be even smarter, then neurally mapped.. To say I am a genius at STEM subjects is redundant, since he already is. But optimal performance is best."

Here, Ijaat shifted uncomfortably and waved at Geoff dismissively, then turned to Coren, eyeing him and then Geoff. He hadn't intended for either part of that ramble to be common knowledge. Not how Geoff was made and based from Ijaat himself, or that Ijaat was a genius in IQ and ability, he preferred to keep such hidden, and hide behind the smithing he loved.

"No... This is a research vessel primarily. I am enough of a weapon on my own two feet to be surrounded by too many on my home.. She won't be lightning fast, not with beskar, but we'll thin it to give it as much protection without trading off too much speed. And like I said, a fast hyper drive, so when the time comes, we are up and going before they can catch us... Stealthed ships will be my real Achilles's heel I suppose. And interdiction fields.. Any suggestions there, Coren?"

Coren nodded. Some AIs were spec’d for certain things. “Well, with a droid crew… then I can see the ship being handled strictly by you. If it was just you running all the systems, I’m… Not doubting you, but I wouldn’t want to overclock anything. I prefer redundant systems, is all. I know a few systems that are able to operate on a lesser droid brain, automatic targeting systems and the like. Might be of use for the ship.”

As for the counter to the weaknesses the ship would be having? Coren had a few ideas. “Are you familiar with crystal gravtraps? A bit expensive. And there is a ship that Iron Crown put out that can break interdiction fields… I just can’t remember what its called.” He opened up the holonet and started looking through the starships that were out in Fringe space.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Geoff stayed mostly silent, the image closing it's eyes as if in concentration. Ijaat, in response, nodded and leaned forward, touching the projector base that Geoff floated above with his fingers, again, a slight wince and hissed breath as the fingers turned gold and he closed his own eyes. It was a rather bizzare gesture, but lights flickered on the projector, which if Coren was familiar with would indicate input and output signals from an external source even though it was not visibly connected to any wires. After a few moments, Ijaat opened his eyes and nodded, though the gaze in them was distracted and kept straying to where Geoff hovered, and the touch was never broken.

"A crystal grav trap might be quite helpful... Can it detect cloaked buildings or facilities as well, if the ship gets close enough? And an interdiction breaker? I was not aware that was even possible! Well, theoretically it is, but I hadn't realized someone had bridged the logic gaps and made one. I certainly can't seem to find anything on it, though I don't really know what i'm looking for admittedly...."

Coren was… familiar with the workings of gravfield traps. He never employed them on his vessels, though he was fairly confident a few Fringe vessels did use them. It was a matter of creating one. And the same with the interdiction field.

Hyperwave Inertial Momentum Sustainer.

He was watching the interaction between Geoff and Akun, idly while typing on the terminal. Searching the HoloNet.

“So, its Bakura tech, the hyperwave internal momentum sustainer. Its… rare. But…” He turned the terminal so that Akun could see what he was looking at. “Between that and the gravfield traps, you’re going to be pushing a helliciously large amount of power from the ship systems into detection and evasion. Might have to work on power systems here too…” Had he known what he was after, he might suggest that Akun just scrape the ship and move onto a Star Destroyer analog as his personal home.

Though he expected the engineer had something up his sleeve.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Ijaat smiled, and motioned to Geoff's image, with a wink, and readouts switched to display a Tenloss manufactured string of reactors, the L-Harc. He nodded and turned it so Coren could see better and waited as tech specs scrolled and flashed past.

"That is the first idea I had, but my benefactor in ArmaTech was also working on a similar style reactor powered by Isotope 5.... Little more unstable, but definitely high yield... Think those would work in linked chains?"

Gesturing again, the readouts moved to the side, and a sketch, as if Ijaat were drawing with a holo-quill, began to appear in mid air. It showed a network of the L-HARC reactors, at least one for every forge and work or research room, sometimes several. Each silenced and buffered to where she would purr like a kitten when running at regular levels.

"That should keep the drain from being too much for the most part, right?"

Coren was often used as a consultant for companies like Silk Holdings. Dealing with the engineers was one thing, but freelancing? Something else. He knew that they knew he needed to go about his process the long way. For Ijaat? He wasn’t sure what the man had dealt with before. Coren took his steps to get where he wanted to go, to get his point across. But, right, Ijaat was everything the Corellian was expecting.

“Isotope 5? Huh…” Rare. Still, he wasn’t going to futz around with that sort of tech. The Tenloss work though… “As long as you’ve got something stable, remember, you’ll be getting shot at, maybe.” Most likely.

When he saw the sketch, the lay out, Coren nodded. “That’d do it, able to route power around, just have to be good at managing the overload, or the vacuum if one section goes offline…” But it would work.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom