Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Shin'i Targeting Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create an fluff item that explains the abilities and limits of an advanced targeting computer that can be placed on the larger Asahian ships.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Tanaka Orbital Shipyards
Model: Shin'i Targeting Processor
Affiliation: Asahi
Modularity: None
Production: Minor
Material: Alusteel, plastic, and other advanced computer processor parts.
Description:

With the advent of heavier weapons and longer ranges brought about by the re-connection with the rest of the galaxy, a better targeting computer was needed. Rather than purchase the devices from other providers, Tanaka Orbital Shipyards used the few they managed to purchase quietly to reverse engineer the design and improve upon it.

The Shin'i Targeting Processor was the resulting product. Capable of calculating complex combat algorithms and plotting long range fire by using a powerful datacore and processor, the Shin'i is fully capable of equaling most known targeting computers on the market. The processor can target, with a relatively high degree of accuracy, objects moving on variable approach vectors, evasive maneuvers, complex trajectories, and various other maneuvers designed to elude target locks. The processor can also achieve target locks in a relatively quick time span, allowing it to provide accurate fire as fast as possible. Finally, with the advanced targeting ability, the processor can extend the effective range of the guns linked to the processor, though never beyond the maximum range of the weapon.

The processor does have faults, however. Because the processor is just that, a processor, it lacks the easier interface of a droid brain. Also, because the device is fully controlled by (presumably) a human being without droid brain assistance, the targeter is prone to human error in targeting alignment. Also, while the targeter is capable of tracking and achieving target lock most known evasive and hard to target maneuvers, the device finds delay in targeting extremely complex maneuvers. In essence, the more complex the maneuver (ie. combining various maneuvers at the same time), the longer it takes to achieve target lock. The Shin'i is also prone to electrical damage and while it's location on or near the bridge (depending on the design of the ship) is highly secured, direct ion or EMP damage will disable the processor as will any catastrophic feedback through the power feeds to the device and/or bridge. Also, due to the production limits on the processor, the Shin'i is only found on ships of Light Star Destroyers and higher. Finally, the Shin'i is designed for and only attached to the capital grade weapons on board the ship as it is not capable of the near instantaneous plotting requirements of close range, anti-starfighter/anti-missile interception trajectories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom