Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Shaka, When The Walls Fell

Calix of Thyrsus

C

fFyHxPg.png

I L U M
AFTERMATH OF THE INVASION
[ post theme ]

div-goldiguess.png

[ armor ] [ lightsaber ]​
Well, today had been a thing.

While his Thyrsian blood might have been sated by the thrill of the battle, the thirteen-year-old was struggling with fatigue as it seemed the boy's usually boundless energy had found its limit.

This was a victory for the Alliance, so why didn't it feel like winning?

The trails of the boy's tears became flecks of ice against his cheeks. His master had left to check-in with Alliance command, leaving the soldiers with the task of collecting their dead. A thankless duty that the young padawan joined. He'd been hesitant, reluctant even, but as the minutes had ticked by the afro-headed youth found himself restless and unable to stand by as the various soldiers began to take stock of the situation on the ground and undertake recovery operations.

At a certain point, he'd just gone numb to the sight of the bodies. Dead bodies. Frozen bodies. Bodies missing a limb.

He'd done all right, or at least managed to keep it all inside, until he came across a body without a head. He didn't do a good job keeping it all inside then. Instead, he'd stumbled a few steps away before he'd doubled over and puked into the snow.

The field rations tasted pretty bad going down. They definitely didn't get better coming back up.

But, at that point, some of the soldiers said that it was okay if Calix didn't help. He found himself seated on a crate, a thermal blanket wrapped around the shoulders of the obsidian-plated armor like a shawl and a hot cup of brown water -- was this supposed to be caf? -- in his hands.

Not the beverage of choice for kids, but the planet was a literal warzone. And warzones didn't have hot cocoa. So hot brown water was probably as good as it was going to get for the time being.

A fine, white mist appeared as the boy gave a sigh. Exhaustion was still sapping at him. The afro that framed his head scorched and burned in spots where embers had caught in the boy's coarse hair. Nicks and blemishes marked where the boy had weathered blaster shots and sonic grenades. Bringing up his left arm, he looked down at the gauntlet that looked as though it had been crushed. Flexing his fingers, there was a crackle of electricity as the electronics inside shorted out.

He'd definitely have to get the shields repaired.

"Some help over here."

Glancing up, the Echani silvery-blue eyes found a GADF soldier flagging the boy over. Setting the blanket and caf aside, the boy hopped down from the crate and made his way over to the side tunnel, where an Alliance crew was working.

The wreck of one of the Imperial drills was blocking the entrance to a maintenance shaft. "Debris blocking the entrance to this cavern. We want to check it for survivors, but it'll take hours to cut through that with torches," the GADF commander noted succinctly, gesturing to the wreckage before he looked back at the boy and asked, "You think you could, uh..?"

The boy just blinked. Looking at the wreckage and then at the soldier. "Me?" the Thyrsian chirped, pointing back at himself. He was being asked to help? "Yeah!" the boy uttered brightly, a slight spark of energy returning to him as he swelled with a sense of being useful again.

Planting a fist into an open palm, the Thyrsian craned his neck from one side, then the other, as he stepped up to the wreck. There was a mechanical whine, as the boy's hands gripped onto the twisted, warped metal. The power servos of his armor strained, the boy's legs struggling for a footing for a moment as the strength-enhancers took hold. The silvery-blue eyes seemed to turn a shade of yellow for a moment, a chill sending gooseflesh up his spine as a ripple of the Force passed through his body.

And the wreckage was lifted upward, as the young Thyrsian struggled under its weight before he turned his head to look back at the GADF officer.

The man's jaw was hanging open. "Well, I didn't..." the man began, before clearing his throat and simply commenting, "I 'spose that works."

Taking a step off to the side, the boy let the wreckage down. A loud crash echoed through the caves as it dropped back down. Breathless, the youth dusted off his hands as he turned to look back at the speechless soldier.

"Well, I just mean... I sort of figured you'd just..." the man stammered, finally holding up a hand and wiggling his fingers as he offered, "You know. The hand thing?"

The boy's Echani eyes just blinked. Then realization set in. "Oh," the youth uttered. Right. The hand thing. Jedi would hold up a hand and stuff just... levitated. "I don't really know the hand thing yet," Calix confessed.

He was, after all, just thirteen. That kind of stuff was probably more fourteen or fifteen year old stuff.

The soldiers passed him by, descending into the maintenance shaft he'd just uncovered, as they continued on with their task. Drawing in a deep breath, the blue-eyed youth glanced around as he wondered how everyone else was doing.

And did anyone else feel like a nap? Was that a thing for Jedi? He kinda hoped it was a thing.

Iris Arani Iris Arani | Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire | @GA peeps | @NJO peeps

There was one last thing that Jasper needed to do on Ilum. Calix had been on the planet during the invasion, and he didn't know where the Thyrsian had wound up after the battle. In a strange way, he felt invested in the boy's safety. The two had gone spelunking on Coruscant a while back, and Calix seemed to take a liking to him in a way that could only be described as admiration. He was a good kid, one who had a bright future ahead of him. If anything happened to Calix, Jasper wouldn't be able to live with himself.

He set off from the temple, his coat still draped over his shoulders and with a sealed container of soup in his hands, food that was being given out to survivors. Traversing the surface of Ilum was... strange now. It was cracked from the seismic activity, jutting out awkwardly, and rubble and wounded were gathered into bunches. It was a troubling sight, especially on such a sacred planet. They had won, but at what cost? The Empire had made off with plenty of kyber, and Ilum would likely take lifetimes to fully recover.

Jasper's worries were put aside when he caught a glimpse of a very familiar hairdo.

"Calix!" Jasper shouted to the boy.

He wasted no time running over to see if the padawan was okay, quickly scanning him to look for any injuries. Thankfully, young Calix seemed to be in good shape. A sigh of relief passed through Jasper's lips.

"I'm glad you're okay, kid," he continued, managing a smile. That was a weight off of his shoulders. "I was worried when I didn't see you back at the temple. Oh, take this," Jasper paused, handing Calix the container of soup. "I grabbed you some grub on the way out."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

There were so many more dead than she realized. War always had it's cost, but Iris hadn't realized just how large of a battle it'd been. What she thought was just a battle over the mine turned into a full scale invasion. And now she was here, helping to sort out the dead. And, hopefully, find someone who might've survived. That's the major reason she was here. As a healer, if someone had survived and needed medical attention, just being able to mend through the Force alone could save their lives.

Not that she'd found anyone yet.

She let out a sigh as she rubbed the back of her neck. Glancing over the bodies. Many weren't going to go back whole. Even dead people weren't spared.

Her gaze shifted towards the sound of moving wreckage. And she pretty hurriedly made her way over. Searching wreckage was one of the better ways to find survivors, right? She rounded one of the other now cold ruined ships to see Jasper. And Calix. She blinked, just for a moment. Offered a wave before scooting past to help search for anyone inside. She could already tell now that there wasn't anyone alive.

The colors were too dim.

Once inside, yeah. It confirmed it. Dead.

Iris popped back out, frowning a little. This was always the hardest part. And by the colors, Calix wasn't feeling too good about it either. Why was he here, anyway? A child shouldn't see this kind of carnage, right?

".. You two okay?"

Calix of Thyrsus | Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el

Calix of Thyrsus

C

[ armor ] [ lightsaber ]
div-goldiguess.png
"Calix!"

The boy's head turned at the sound of his name being called. As he did, he caught sight of a familiar face. The boy's expression softened as the older padawan ran up to him.

"Yeah, Master Sedaire wanted to check in with Alliance Command before we returned to the temple. In case there were still Imperials or whatever," the Thyrsian remarked, as Jasper commented about not seeing him back at the Ilum temple.

"Oh, take this," Jasper uttered, pressing a ration of soup into the boy's hands. For his part, the boy just blinked. Then, he gave a shrug. It wasn't hot brown water at least.

As the afro-headed youth took a sip of the offered meal, he caught a glimpse of Iris as she went by with a wave. She seemed to check on the maintenance shaft for a moment, then came back.

".. You two okay?"

"Yeah!" the boy uttered, forcing the enthusiasm in his voice. He didn't want to be thought of as the little kid, so he had to be able to hold up to these kinds of things, right? The false bravado was further distinguished by the sound of an electrical short in his armor, as a spark fired as the boy's shoulder seemed to give an involuntary spasm as one of the servos malfunctioned.

"Uh, well, my armors kinda busted up," the Thyrsian admitted sheepishly, before pointing up at his head as he jokingly added, "And I think my hair got shot or something!"

He probably needed to get out of the armor, but it was easier put on than taken off. Plus, the bodyglove was totally embarrassing.

"But other than that, I'm good."

That, a nap, some conditioner for his hair, a new afro pick, and more naps. Not necessarily in that order. And a scream. A nice, loud scream. For reasons.

".. You two okay?"

Iris's words as she came over to them were straight to the point, as always. When Calix responded as enthusiastically as he could, Jasper noticed. Trying to act mature was admirable, but there was more to maturity than bottling up your problems. Admittedly, this was something he still needed to work on. No time like the present.

"Not really," Jasper admitted with a weak grin. "It was brutal out there. I could've gone without that."

His tone became more somber, his smile fading.

"So many bodies..." the padawan lamented. "I couldn't stop to carry any of them back. They shouldn't have been left down there..."

Jasper turned to Calix, a warm smile spreading across his face. There was no use in beating around the bush. If he didn't say it now, then he wasn't a very good upper-classman. The duelist had a responsibility to make sure his younger peer didn't drive himself crazy.

"If you say you're fine, I'll take your word on it," Jasper told him. "But I feel like you're dealing with a bit more than singed hair." He paused, turning to Iris. "How about you? I saw you back there looking for survivors. You holding up okay?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

A lie. Iris could already see it in the colors around him. This level of violence wasn't something he should've been exposed to. No one should be. Her gaze shifted to Jasper, watching him. His colors. At least he was honest about how he felt. And seemed to pick up on Calix's lie all the same. She let out a breath as she nodded towards Jasper and stepped over. "This is messed up and no one should ever have to go home in pieces."

Blunt worked with her, when she was still learning. Not that she ever stopped. She flashed an all too exhausted smile towards Jasper, shaking her head.

"I'm tired. Very tired. But I'll be okay."

Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el | Calix of Thyrsus

Xi4RMtD.png

War. He was used to it, numb to it. He fell into the debriefing routely, giving off casualties. The remnants of the ever-present Green Devils squadron covered his six like a cloak as he sat amongst the rubble, participating in the conference call holographically. He stroked at his ash strewn silvery beard as the call ended and he stood. Without speaking, the squad fell in about him, and they stood together a moment, holding the gazes of each other. Julius reached into his armor and pulled a flask out, un-capping it and upending it to the ground, pouring out several mouthfuls before taking his own and passing it off silently to the next man. The chain of tags around his neck clinked silently, and his sharp eyes grew distant in thoughtful memory of those gone.

It was an old Corellian tradition to toast the dead. Usually with speeches or a poem or something in their memory. But he didn't go in for that sort of flowery show often, and the 'Devils weren't the type either. So silence greeted them as they all took a sip of a harsh homemade brew Julius had 'confiscated' from the squad some days ago, from a 'still hidden behind a vaparator on there ship. That had been another learning experience for Calix of Thyrsus , of the varieties of grey in between discipline in soldiery. That boy was a quick study, and great things were to come for him if he kept his head and heart in the game.

Speaking of..... Julius had left him with GA forces to help in relief and recoup. The experience would probably traumatize the boy, but there would be the moments after where he would take him under his arm and pat the padawan's shoulder and speak gruffly of duty and expectations of a Guardian. And he would also need to likely get the lad some new armor after that fight.

Coming up upon the lad and what looked like friends, he raised a clenched fist and spun a circle in the air after, third and fourth finger up, then back down before stopping. Silently, the squadron fell out and took up guarding, but restful spots, and he smiled at the lad.

"Calix, I've already heard you are acting quite the general. Must have had a good Master as an example. Our meeting with the Alliance is done. We're to recall to Corellia or elsewhere to recover until called for... But tell me, who are these fine people?"

Calix of Thyrsus

C
"Not really."

The boy did a double-take.

That wasn't what he'd expected Jasper to say at all. The words resonated with him. But, Jedi had to fight these battles all the time, right?

So Jedi had to be able to push through... right? There is no emotion and some such? It was all so very confusing. And conflicting. The Thyrsian wasn't even sure his brain was capable of trying to think about it. He just knew that Master Sedaire seemed to make it all seem...

...so easy.

So if Calix felt that it wasn't so easy, then that must mean that there was something wrong with him... right?

Iris seemed to agree with Jasper, remarking "I'm tired. Very tired. But I'll be okay."

Yeah, he definitely felt that.

The afro-headed boy's mouth fell open, a confession on his tongue when a single word silenced him.

"Calix."

Whirling around, the boy looked up as he the green-robed figure approaching. "Yes, Master," the youth uttered in answer.

"We're to recall to Corellia or elsewhere to recover until called for..." the grizzled veteran of many wars announced, even as the aged Corellian acknowledged the two other padawans with him. "But tell me, who are these fine people?"

"Padawans Arani and Kai'el, Master," the boy supplied, indicating each in turn.

Then, he turned toward the others and indicated the aging legend as he introduced the man as, "Master Sedaire of Corellia."

It was, at least, an excuse to change the subject. He swallowed his doubt as the youth fell silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom