Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Shadows of the Past

He didn't know why he'd done it.
Perhaps he really had left his mind behind in the Dreaming Dark. Perhaps all sense had fled him. He'd been in a relative haze ever since the events of Coruscant, a haze which had forced his body into autopilot. Having commandeered a ship, from Force knew where, he'd flown off through the stars wherein he found a modicum of peace. Silence in that endless void, deafeningly loud in many ways.
He couldn't remember why he'd reached out. He couldn't remember why he'd chosen him of all people, but he had. It wasn't until he reached that orange planet, from whence he'd last been sucked into the Nether, that his senses began to return. That the numbness waned, and a fierce rage began to boil beneath the surface. The orange planet, where once he'd called home. Korriban. Why was he at Korriban?
The ship lowered through the atmosphere, heading toward the destination point... Maybe in his out-of-body state he'd been too afraid to face this all alone. Maybe that's why he'd reached out to Alisteri. Maybe that was why he'd asked him to come. Why Alisteri, though. That was the question. There were so many others he could have tried to contact. Quintus, Melydia. Heck, even the one who had introduced the pair, Alina, might have been the better choice.
Truth be told, Arcturus was afraid that they wouldn't answer. That his fears would prove real. That they were dead in a ditch somewhere...
Clearly his subconscious had wanted it to be Alisteri. A familiar face, yet someone whose rejection might not have stung so much. He had been meaning to reach out to the other Acolyte again long before the fall of the Eternal. Long before the Nether had claimed him. There'd always been so much happening though. One day, he'd said. Next time, he'd said.
How about now, Arcturus...
Though his ship had landed before the Academy he'd called home, the boy didn't disembark. Not yet. He waited, waited for the arrival of the other.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The Fall of the Sith had taken much from Alisteri, a home, stability, plenty of friends and allies, and of course most of his time and attention. Surviving the collapse of an empire and the consequent advance of its enemies was hard enough alone, and he had his cult to look after and safeguard as well. Even when he was eventually contacted by the new empire of the Sith, he kept to himself and kept his cards close to his chest.

Trust was hard enough to come by in the Sith, let alone in such a desperate situation as they now found themselves in. Being hunted all over the galaxy did not breed as much of a communal mindset as one would hope. Survival of the fittest prevailed in the Sith, as it always did.

His seclusion from the rest of the Sith, instead choosing to dwell with his cult instead of residing with the rest of his order, hadn't often been disturbed by others. Usually he was drawn away due to a summoning from the empire, or due to his own ventures to scavenge and attempt to gather allies for his cult. So when he received a message addressed to him personally, his curiosity was naturally piqued.

Arcturus Thesh. And here I thought you'd been claimed by the war. Had been his immediate thought, but there was no hesitation in his mind as he set off to one of the ancient Sith worlds. To Korriban he went, alone and expecting either a trap or a familiar face. Either would satisfy his curiosity.

The small cargo shuttle broke into the atmosphere of the old world, speeding through the chilling dusty winds as Alisteri made his descent towards the temple that he had been called to meet at. Tension and excitement both coiled within him as it came into sight, and with it a vessel already parked and awaiting him. He idly wondered if Arcturus would rejoin with the Worm and the rest of the Sith in the nebula, as he had reluctantly done himself, or if the other intended on something more bold.

Alisteri had a feeling his wonder would soon be answered.

The shuttle touched down not far from the other ship, maybe a dozen meters at most. The rear door slid open and the red cloaked Acolyte stepped out onto the surface of Korriban, taking a deep breath as if the mask on his face didn't hinder the act of smelling the air. Just as I remember, biting and ominous.

Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn

He caught the sight of a descending shuttle after just a short while being holed up in the cockpit, his own vessel powered down. Waiting until it touched down, more to ensure it was Alisteri than anything else, he made his way out to the boarding ramp. Down into the chilly Korriban afternoon. For a desert it really held little in the way of warmth.
Arcturus approached the masked Acolyte, and dipped his head into a short bow of greeting. Though much time had passed, he didn't look much different. Gaunt, sure, eyes a little hollow, but time had moved differently for the Lorrdian. He'd spent much of the aftermath trapped within the Nether.
Trapped... As though he hadn't spent most of that time simply hiding, fearing what awaited him on his return.
His gaze shifted over the Academy. It looked... terrible, really. But what could one expect? This world and its former denizens had been through a lot during his absence. Part of him wished he'd been here, as though he could have turned the tide of war. But mostly he was glad he wasn't. Who wanted to see the destruction of all they'd come to know?
"Thank you, for agreeing to meet with me."
Sincerity laced his tone as he glanced back at Alisteri. Offered him a small smile that didn't quite make it to his eyes. Not for lack of want, he was genuinely happy to see the other man. He was just a little... hollow. Some of that carefree nature had waned in the interim.
Truth be told he wasn't sure if he wanted to admit why he'd asked him here. To so blatantly reveal his own cowardice and weakness in the face of a haunting past. Some among their ranks would use that to their advantage, seek to tear him down - or something of the sort. He didn't think that was Alisteri's nature... But he didn't know for sure.
"I never got the chance to try and retrieve any of my possessions which might still linger," he explained, hoping deep down that none had seen fit to ransack what were arguably very militant and sparse one bed dorm rooms when there was so much else in the Academy on offer. "I figured maybe you'd find something of interest in here too."
They'd gone knowledge hunting before, after all. That was the way of it... Make it seem like it had been a mutual thought from the start, that he'd been thinking of Alisteri's wants when he'd called him out here. Had he been in the right state of mind he knew he probably would have anyway.
He took a few steps toward that haunting sight, curious if the other would join him.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri turned as he heard the ramp of the other ship lower, his gaze fixating on the form of the other Sith the moment he caught sight of him. He looked unchanged, almost anyway. A bit skinny, almost too much, and he looked as if he needed a good rest, but the masked man was relieved to see no signs of new scars or missing limbs. He turned on his heel and approached the other, meeting with him halfway and returning the small bow.

"It was a pleasure to receive a message from a familiar, friendly face." He paused, as if noting the expression on Arcturus's face before continuing. "You would be surprised how little warmth and familiarity one gets nowadays." A small joke, accompanied by an amused huff before his attention moved to the location of interest. The academy had seen better days. That was an understatement, if there ever was one. He idly noted the restoration and improvements, probably made during the time of the Sith Eternal, with some measure of appreciation.

"It's a shame. To see something so grand and old to be brought so low by the powers that be."

The sight brought many emotions to him, nostalgia, sorrow, wrath, but most of all the academy instilled in him what he always felt when he looked upon a sight of the Sith. A hint of dread underneath anxious tension. Alisteri nodded as his ally spoke, inclining his head slightly as if he was surprised that he was being offered anything at all. He said nothing on that point though.

"I see. I'm sorry to hear it, I was lucky enough to gather all of my possessions before I had to leave Dromund Kaas." He spared a moment of thought to his old home on that planet, a pitying thought on the chaos that more than likely reigned in the absence of authority.

His musings only lasted a moment though, as Arcturus began to move forward.

There was no hesitation in his step as he moved to follow the other Sith towards the academy, eager to continue conversing and to potentially find something worthwhile within the ruins as they went. Pilfering from other Sith wasn't his favorite activity, but at this point it was better to gather what one could to safeguard it from the unworthy.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you here for? I can understand the sentimental items and personal objects, but I doubt you would ask for me if that's all you wanted from this place."

Missing limbs, no, but there were a few scars which had cropped up over the past however long since their previous encounter. The worst one was covered by his shirt insofar as it could be, a bite mark where shoulder met neck on his left, the rest were just small marks along his hairline as though once it had rained glass down upon him. Remnants of a trip through the Nether he'd never forget, though part of him wished he would. He had to remember it though, he'd made a promise to one Seydon of Arda Seydon of Arda that he would. It felt important to keep it.
As Alisteri greeted him and spoke of familiar, friendly faces, Arcturus could not help but wonder to himself how many of such things remained here in the Galaxy. How many could Sith such as themselves turn to in those darker hours, when company was necessary but hard to find? Hard to trust...
"I'm sure I could imagine, if I chose to," he retorted, something of a wry smile upon his lips. Grim, that's what it was. Completely and utterly grim. He closed the distance between the two of them, and offered out a hand which might be clasped in camaraderie should the other see fit to follow suit.
Of the Academy, he could not help but agree. A short nod lent itself first to such discussions, before he spoke with soft enough tone that his breath could not disrupt even a single grain of sand which lingered on this cool world. "It will survive," he assured, though he did not doubt the other knew it to be true, "It always does, in some form of another. When some other Emperor makes this place his throne.' The very nature of what it was to be Sith lent itself to instability among its ranks. The infighting, the vying for power, one would always fall, and another would eventually rise in their place.
How it had been for eons.
In many ways Arcturus rejected that aspect of their Order. He grew in strength for himself, but not to compete. This one did not have eyes for leadership, it was something all the more intimate that lay in his future. He saw visions of a storefront, and a workshop, and a simple, humble life filled with study and experimentation, and an eventual swansong which would see him on into the abyss. Death was not something he feared these days. He knew where the dead went to lie, knew it intimately by now. Too many of their kind clung to life.
Unlife had its appeal too. He could only hope his soul would not be waylaid into the more torturous throngs of the Nether when the time came. He'd seen enough of the Dreaming Dark to make it his eternal prison.
They approached the Academy swiftly enough, kicking up dust from the sandstone floor below as they went. "Truthfully?" He shot a glance at Alisteri, as though momentarily sizing him up. He did not believe the man beside him would take any weakness which might be shown and turn it against him in the future, but he could not know for sure. All the same, he offered the man a shrug.
"There are many from my days within this place that I have not yet caught glimpse of in the Galaxy at large," one of his hands sought the comfort of his holey pocket, the other remained in plain view as though to offset any nervous disposition he might otherwise have given breath to. "I do not wish to disturb any potential resting ground of one I knew alone. I have seen enough shades of the past in the mist-beyond. I do not need to see them here too..."
He wondered what the other would think of that. Truth be told though Arcturus hoped he didn't think he'd only been asked here to be something of a grounding presence. He had meant it when he said there was likely much to unearth within the rubble that remained.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
There was a small chuckle at the reply to his remark, short and quick yet genuine. He of course accepted the offered hand with a firm grip, not one to leave someone he considered an ally hanging in such a manner. Or, at all really. It provided him some form of assurance about the task ahead and idly reminded him of their previous outing. Exploring the secrets of Sith structures does help build some bridges after all.

Another chuckle, though this one having a far more grim and sarcastic tone, was his only response to the other Sith's words on a new Emperor. Leadership in the Sith seemed as much of an achievement as it did a detriment. Someone was always clamoring for power and prestige, regardless of how many heads needed to be stepped on or cut off for them to achieve it. Such victories were often fleeting and destructive. Infighting and discord had dragged the mighty Sith Order from a galactic power to what it was now, in his eyes.

Well, Sith infighting and half a galaxy of enemies.

There wasn't much of a reaction from Alisteri at the answer he was given, mostly just a slight cocking of his head in curiosity and confusion. The deeper meaning behind Arcturus's words eluded him currently and he had no intent of asking for more information at the moment. A part of him understood, he had flat out rejected the idea of returning to his old home on Dromund Kaas or even to other Sith temples across the galaxy mostly for a similar reason after all. One had to look forward and secure a path ahead before they could have the luxury of returning to the past, lest they be consumed by what lay beyond.

"A fair point. If it brings you any comfort, I have little intent of pilfering the bedrooms of your compatriots myself." In truth, if he was to take anything from the academy then it would be something informative or historical. Something that would be of use or significance to other Sith, something that couldn't afford to be left behind for some scavenger or Jedi to stumble upon and disgrace.

Given the age and importance of Korriban to the Sith though, he could only imagine what artifacts and hidden knowledge lay buried within. Far too much for him to ever take, that he was something that he was sure of.

After a moment of thought he spoke again. "Maybe I can see if there are any good texts lying around. My archives are very lacking in proper Sith literature and knowledge." He mused aloud, hoping that there wouldn't be much damage to any places of significance within the academy. If he knew anything about Sith architecture, they built it to last. The tides of war and time were cruel however, and not everything could withstand such mighty forces of destruction.

Alisteri was pulled from his thoughts as they finally reached the entrance to the ruins, his gaze immediately spotting more than one crumbled wall that made what doors that were still standing effectively useless and arbitrary. He clicked his tongue at the sight and did his best not to appear as disappointed about the state of it as he felt. "Well, I suppose that we at least won't have to worry about a key."

The sight of the fractured walls put an end to any train of thought Arcturus might otherwise have had. He'd heard Alisteri's response of course, the promise not to pilfer personal belongings, a hope that he might unearth something of use for Sith to come, but as they crossed the ruined threshold and into the great chamber beyond words felt... Arbitrary. Wrong even. It was as though they were walking into a mausoleum, and Arcturus did not very much like that at all.
He did his best to try and ignore it. To push down the niggling sense of dread which wormed its way up and through him. "This way," he mumbled quietly as he could, as though to speak any louder might rouse ghouls and spirits from the depths of the Academy. The path ahead was one he'd traipsed so m any times before, he could have done it blindfolded. Might well have been blindfolded for how dark the place was. He led Alisteri on down toward the dormitories, and then past them to a few select suites which were arguably a bit more cushy. Usually saved for higher ranked officials, Knights at the very least.
Well, he was not a Knight, had not been a Knight, nor high ranked... But being Maliphant's sole student at the time had afforded him certain luxuries. He paused outside the doorway. What if one of them was inside? He couldn't feel any presence, but what if their corpse was-- no. A shuddery exhale escaped him, before he reached out and thumbed in the code.
On the other side all was more or less as he had left it. Someone had clearly been inside, but much of what Arcturus deemed important quite frankly wasn't. Half finished projects, books that most would consider bland or simply overlook; it was like an apartment space, not huge but certainly large compared to the desk-and-bed dormitories most others knew. It had a kitchenette to one side, a sitting area and desk to the other, and two doors. One led to a bedroom, the other a personal refresher.
It was like stepping back into the past. It was... Eerie.
He found he had not missed it.
No bodies though. That was nice. "Here," he said, gesturing to a large stack of books, "Take what you'd like from it. Uh... Except for the ones on the desk. They're my personal collection."
May as well start with those, hadn't he? He pulled down an old satchel from the back of the door, and started picking at the things that remained after the vultures had swooped over this place.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The academy had always been chilling and ominous, a side effect of the Dark Side if he had to guess, but in it's ruined state it only seemed to amplify the aura it gave off. Walls that had once been towering and whole now lay cracked and with missing pieces, but they carried an altogether different feeling of dread now. An imperfection that still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Of course, it makes sense that only a place of the Sith could have such an affect as that.

Alisteri could not bring himself to speak, not even in an attempt to lighten the mood and break the tense atmosphere. Instead the only sounds that escaped him were the occasional loud breath and his steps on the old stone floor. Even when the Sith Empire claimed dominion over the world, he had only visited the academy once so he had no issue in following after Arcturus.

There wasn't much point in him wandering off and getting lost amidst the rubble, destined to join whatever dead lay within.

Even with his unfamiliarity, he could recognize the dormitories when they finally arrived at them. His heart sank at the sight as he gaze swept over the ruined rooms that they passed by. There was no pause in his step, for fear that he would be left behind, but he did utter a silent prayer for the fallen under his breath. He could only hope that the dorms weren't occupied as the calamity struck them, and he had little intent of poking around to search for the unfortunate ones that were caught in their rooms.

The rooms clearly meant for more honored guests caught him off guard for a moment. He knew little of the other Sith that he traveled with, but he had always assumed the other to be a mere Acolyte like himself. Perhaps he impressed someone powerful in the Sith Eternal? Alisteri was tempted to ask but didn't speak a word about it. His curiosity could be sated later, if at all, once they were out of the depressing ruin of the academy.

His silence continued as he waited for Arcturus to open the door, seemingly to his room. The masked Sith noted the hesitance in the other, his gaze narrowing slightly as he did his best to beat down the questions that such a sight brought. Of course, the question of what exactly made a man like Arcturus hesitate cropped up in his mind but he still refused to ask. If he was honest with himself, a small part of him didn't want to ask out a slight bit of fear as to what could lay beyond the door.

And then the door opened, and his fears faded into confusion as the room seemed fairly intact and devoid of life.

Hm. Odd. He inclined his head slightly as the other finally broke the silence, his gaze following the gesture and landing on the books with a mixture of surprise and curiosity. "I don't wish to take from something of yours...but I'll see if something catches my eye."

Alisteri had little intent to actually take any of the books, but he felt that giving the other Sith a moment to be with his thoughts was wise. He quickly crossed over to the stack and idly looked over the assembled books, not daring to even look at the ones sat upon the desk out of respect.

Alisteri was quick to refuse his offer of the books, which only had Arc shaking his head with something of a wry smile.
"I cannot feasibly take everything back with me. Truth be told I do not even know where I'll go from here. You would be doing me a favour by seeing that they receive a better home than this tomb of an Academy, Alisteri. I do hope you'll reconsider."
Ignoring the kitchen, which was no doubt just filled with remnants of shelf stable food, he stepped toward his desk and was surprised to find that some of his unfinished projects still lingered there. No doubt whomever had combed through this space had not known what to do with them, or frankly what they were. Glancing over the various pieces now, Arcturus could not blame them. Even he had a hard time piecing together what went where.
Instead of taking each piece as they were, he broke most of them back down into their core components and then took only the more rare and valuable among them. Crystals with more unique properties, electronic components that had taken a lot of scavenging to find, the remnants of the Living Clay Kal Kal had sold him. All useful... All things he wanted to salvage. But the rest?
He walked away without gathering the rest. Walked toward one of the other doors, beyond which his former bedroom lay.
Arcturus stared at the door for a long moment. He knew that beyond it he'd find remnants of her, in some form or another. Strands of hair, articles of clothing, bottles of perfume. It had been her room as much as his in the end, an impression of her body lay upon the mattress alongside his own. Though he had made his decision, though he had chosen to walk away from her, that did not mean he was ready to face what they had been in the past.
With a soft exhale, he opened the door. All at once, he was jumped upon by a creature he had not been expecting; not been expecting at all. It took him by surprise, causing him to leap back with a slight yelp. Despite its fairly hostile experience, a series of gruesome fangs making up its mouth, the creature did not actually attack him. Nope, instead the little guy just perched atop his shoulder; once the initial fright was out of the way, Arcturus breathed a sigh of relief.
"Tuus?" he uttered, in disbelief, the sight of his Sithspawn creation remaining in good health being wholly a surprise to him. "Force, I presumed you dead with the sacking..." But nope. Glancing past him, he could sort of see how the creature had survived. A whole host of dead Korriban rodents lay in a pile on the floor beside the bed. Mostly bones at this point, though a few were a little more... fresh. And ripe.
He covered his nose against the smell of it. Then turned to face his companion who had no doubt been put on edge by Arcturus' initial reaction.
"Alisteri, meet Ctuus'zhi the Kûtszarwas... My first real venture into biological alchemy. Well, he and his brethren." His continued existence was perhaps the first piece of good news Arcturus had had in as long as he could remember.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The response brought a small sigh from the masked Sith, but he did pay closer attention to the books that were evidently available. They could offer insight that he lacked, and leaving them here to collect dust would be a crime, so he supposed he could take one or two for later usage. "Fair enough Arcturus, fair enough."

Alisteri read over the spines and the names written on them as he allowed the owner of the room time to look around and reminisce. He had been lucky enough to gather what few trinkets and possessions he had before fleeing Dromund Kaas, and he didn't even want to think of the state that Kaas City would be in now. Seeing this one academy in ruins was a hard enough sight to see, let alone whatever had become of the capital of the Sith Empire. One day I'll return there. He mused as he idly plucked a book off of the shelf to open it up and skim over a couple pages.

One day, it will be Sith again. And then, perhaps Korriban can be reclaimed as well.

The sound of a yelp snapped him out of his thoughts and he was quick to spin around on his heel, his hand instinctively shooting down to his waist to wrap around his lightsaber's hilt. The sight of his companion not in peril paused him however, instead he merely tilted his head in confusion at the small creature atop the other's shoulder.

What in the world is that? While he had been traveling around and seen his fair share of creatures, beasts, and the like, he had certainly never seen whatever was nuzzling Arcturus at the moment.

The little introduction from said Sith did allow him to relax and ease his confusion a bit, but it still left him some questions. After he had recomposed himself from the scent of something dead and rotten seemingly originating from the room that the now open door belonged to. Heightened senses aren't always a boon after all. Go figure.

"I...see. Rather impressive work I guess..." Seeing something produced by an ally was nothing new, but said product usually came in the form of clothing or weaponry or something of that sort, not an organism. "Biological alchemy...it's a Sithspawn? You know how to make Sithspawn?" It still felt strange to know that such a thing was possible, but looking a gift bantha in the mouth and all that. The creature was small and smelt of blood, a scent that idly made his own crimson hunger known for a moment, but the masked man looked at it like it was a pile of fresh credits.

"Fascinating..."

ayd2DFB.png

Alisteri was rather quiet as Arcturus searched the room, sticking close to the piles of books and glancing over their spines in search of anything which might catch his interest. Though he still seemed rather reluctant he agreed to at least try and find some he could take with him and that was good. Mostly they were books on alchemy, imbuement, Sith runes and rituals, even one or two on blood magic. Those were the fun books at least. The rest? A lot of history. A lot of theory. All things he had an interest in, but heftier, harder to read and understand.

The arrival of Tuus seemed to do wonders at livening the place up. Alisteri seemed surprised, if a little dubious, to see the little guy, more so when he realized that Arcturus had formed him.

"Yeah, Sithspawn," he stated with a nod of his head. "Usually I'm more the metallurgist, or the imbuer, but I'd always wanted to try my hand at creating life. It was a strange experience in truth, maybe one day I'll dabble some more."

He reached up to pet the creature affectionately, then glanced back to Alisteri. "Bats," he explained, "They can pass a toxin on to lifeforms they bite, render them something of a mindless ghoul... An easy way to turn the enemy against one another on the field of battle. If you ever have need for one, let me know. Not for everyone, I imagine, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't have their uses."

Not for everyone indeed. In fact there were likely a great many individuals out there in the Galaxy who would downright demand their extinction. Unnatural, dangerous, a plague... But they were Arcturus' creation, and he looked past all of that like a proud parent.

All the same, after a quick glance over the bedroom he realized he was more or less done with the place. He took up a few of the books he still had an interest in, and then turned back toward the door where he briefly paused. Another thought flashed through his mind, of the oasis he'd made here. Chances were the plants were all dead, but it was worth checking right?

"Have you got everything you liked the look of?" he asked the man, hovering by the doorway and making it known he was ready to leave whenever Alisteri was.

Darth Strosius Darth Strosius

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Most of the books caught his interest, his reading material had always been sparse after all, and by the time his attention turned back to his companion he already had some idea of what he wanted to carry back with him. Some of them weren't all that useful practically, so they could be left behind without too much guilt on his part. Others on the shelf were far too valuable to be left behind to rot and dust until something stole or destroyed them at a later date. As reluctant as he was to take them, the promise of new exciting insight to the Dark was simply too tempting to pass up.

Case in point, the creature that Arcturus had apparently created.

From what little Alisteri knew of Sithspawn he had assumed that to craft such a being, or to modify an existing creature as it was in most cases to his knowledge, he had assumed that only experienced and powerful Sith with certain precise equipment could accomplish such a task. If any of those books could shed insight on what Arcturus did... He intended to take a second, and a very much closer, look at the books again in a moment.

The masked man listened intently as his compatriot spoke, but thankfully the full extent of his thoughtful expression was hidden. He had no intent of revealing how interested he was in Sithspawn just yet, preferring to keep such information close to his chest until the time was right. For a brief moment he even thought about offering to assist the other Sith at the mention of him dabbling in such alchemy again in the future, but he held his tongue and simply nodded his head. "An interesting creature indeed friend. I believe I've seen something similar, as far as these ghouls are concerned, but they certainly didn't come from any...bats."

The tactic was certainly intriguing, and he made a mental note to ask for some of these creatures if he ever had the space to house them. They could save lives on the battlefield and more importantly would cause many casualties on whomever they were unleashed upon.

"I'll make sure to stay on your good side then." Alisteri finally looked away from the other Sith and moved back towards the books, quick to snatch up the titles that had grabbed his interest before. After another minute of looking over the remaining ones he decided to grab one more, the rest not practical enough to warrant taking up space in his arms. Leaving them was still undesirable, but he could live with that.

He turned back to give Arcturus a nod, his arms busy holding onto the stack of books as if they were something precious. "Of course. Is there anywhere else you want to visit while we're here? You never know when you'll have the chance to come back after all."

ayd2DFB.png

"Yeah, I suppose there's nothing all together new about the concept," he agreed, in regards to the ghoulmaking, still fussing the little bat upon his shoulder as he spoke, "But hey, you've got to start somewhere right?" One small step forward, yet he'd learned a lot about the process itself. His mind drifted to some of the other creatures here on Korriban which had once been part of his menagerie, those he would not be able to bring off world. Ones which had grown too large in the interim.

Maybe he could do something about that. Mini Terentatek, anyone?

Bah, like anyone would buy into that. All the same the idea had formed a seed which was planted in his mind. Something to ponder on for sure.

Alisteri's next words had Arcturus chuckling. "I can't imagine how you'd get on my bad side," he retorted with a shrug, "You've seemed agreeable enough each time we've come into contact. I certainly wouldn't have invited you here if I didn't trust you in some form or another."

That was definitely true. He'd have come alone, or tried to summon Kal Kal from the Netherworld, or something like that if he really couldn't bear dredging up the past without company. But he hadn't, had he? He'd called for Alisteri.

Now at the doorway, and with the books in his companions arms, Arcturus pondered on where to head next. Well he'd already made up his mind really, he was mostly just waiting to see if the other Sith was fine with them spending a little more time here at the Academy. And it seemed as though he was.

"There is one other place," he stated. "Well... Two. But the latter I think I'd like to search by myself, if that's okay?" Ishani's room. Probably looted, in truth, the dormitories were closer to the heart of the Academy after all which made them prime targets. But as for the other...

"Come, let's see if the oasis is still in tact..."

He headed off down the corridor, provided Alisteri was following, and then wound his way through the Academy toward an area which had never really been fully renovated after the Sith Eternal had made this place a roost. It was run down, but showed older signs of damage than the invasion could have caused. He paused before a doorway, inhaled a long breath, and then opened it.

Beyond was a courtyard, with cracked walls and remnants of plants long since succumbed to the nature of Korriban. Shriveled, with just blackened vines left behind, it was something of a pitiful sight in truth.

All, that was, save that which lingered beside a small pool of water. The water itself was murky, covered in a green film, barely any of it remained at all in truth. He stepped over to the plant in question, knelt down beside it, and brushed a hand over the remaining leaves. It wasn't doing too well, he could tell that much immediately. It wouldn't survive much longer.

Arcturus sighed. The roses which had reminded Ishani of home... How could he let them rot here?

Eyes shifted, glancing for one of the potted plants which had wilted and died. He reached out through the Force and summoned one closer, taking out the decayed plant in order to free up space. Then he began to carefully free the living plant from the sandy soil, making sure not to damage the roots.

It might have seemed weird, stupid even, to his fellow Sith. Why bother? Yet for Arcturus it was a matter of duty. This had been his mini paradise. When the plant was potted he inhaled a small breath and flowed the Force through the plant, surging it with life in order to have the roots grow deeper, stronger. The stems and leaves too. All at once the plant blossomed and flourished.

Then Arcturus dropped back onto his butt in the sand and let out a long exhale.

Force, why was plant surge the one thing that he'd never properly grasped out of all that he'd tried?

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Start somewhere indeed... Alisteri's mind idly drifted to the other examples of Sithspawn that he had encountered, a small part of him thankful that there was only really a handful of said examples. The bat of Arcturus was definitely the smallest and most subtle of the few that he had seen or heard of though. Rather than that being a negative thought, it helped to reassure him that his own future projects in the realm of Sithspawn wouldn't result in failure. Of course such things were far in the future for the moment.

For the moment.

"You would be surprised Arcturus." He replied with a slight smirk and a joking tone. "I've been told that I can be particularly abrasive at times." It was a joke, but not one without some layering of truth. Being a Sith and pleasing everyone around you at the same time was not very achievable after all. Not often achievable anyway, regardless of his best efforts.

The masked man perked up slightly at the answer his friend gave, nodding in agreement. "Of course, I'm not going to snoop around where I don't belong." There was a pause before he followed Arcturus out, glancing back at the room for one last moment before having to go back to looking at ruined sections of the academy again.

He was quick to catch up though, the books not seeming to weigh him down at all. "So an oasis? I wouldn't think a Sith academy to have something so...tranquil and idyllic available." From his limited time visiting the one on Dromund Kaas, academies struck him as rigid and functional.

Even the architecture was mostly practical, aside from the grand entrances and whatever expensive offices the higher ups of said academies resided in of course. Perhaps the Eternals had some extra credits to spruce up the place?

Based on the way that the other Sith paused at the door however, he doubted it. What lay beyond the doorway met his original expectations. For better or worse. The courtyard had not escaped the fate of the rest of the academy it seemed. His gaze swept over the gnarled and sickened plants with mixed feelings of pity and concern. Korriban had always been a place of graves and ruins after all.

It had been too long since he last saw how life often bent under the will of the Dark, and this was a grim reminder.

Alisteri said nothing as Arcturus stepped towards the remnants of life in the courtyard, choosing instead to glance over the plants that were unfamiliar. He imagined what they would look like if they were healthy and full of life, but he knew that his interpretations were more than likely merely a hollow reconstruction. His gaze was drawn away by the sound of digging though, and he briefly glanced back at the other Sith to watch him for a moment.

He chose not to intervene, only observe. The waiting didn't last long at all though. Life soon, somehow, returned to the plant before his very eyes not long after it had been moved into a pot, his eyes growing wide at the sight.

A couple steps were taken towards Arcturus as he sat back and seemed relieved, Alisteri quickly putting two and two together. He kept a respectable distance, but did step to get a better look at the now lively plant. "And they say that we Sith only bring death." He scoffed in amusement and nodded his head towards the other Sith as a small showing of respect.

"You continue to spite our critics friend. I trust you don't intend to leave your new plant here to wilt again?"

ayd2DFB.png

Alisteri's quiet contemplation whenever the Sithspawn were mentioned had not gone unnoticed by Arcturus. There was something the man was not saying, a curiosity which lingered beneath the surface that the boy knew well, for it was a notion he so often shared, a vice of his own in truth, and that had Arc tilting his head to one side in consideration.

"Mayhaps when next I experiment with such things, I'll send you an invite," he mused, in a way which did not imply any real pressure for Alisteri to participate or even observe. A simple invitation, a way to broker the subject should he see fit to pursue it.

That door now firmly ajar, he focused on the man's next few words. "Abrasiveness is not a bad trait to master, Chaos knows I've suffered for my lack of it." Arcturus Thesh, friend to all... Not really a Sithly trait, was it? And yet in the wake of such he'd formed quite a tight-knit circle of friends before his disappearance, a web of allies and connections which had ensured they withstood the trials and tribulations of an otherwise rough Academy life.

Stronger together. That's what they were. Yet too often Sith saw fit only to break such ties, to prove themselves the superior being among their peers. A shame, think of all that could have been accomplished by now if they'd had a focus on group strength and power as opposed to individual.

Oh well.

As they ventured through the halls, Alisteri's curiosity was once again piqued and Arcturus peered back at him with the smallest hints of a smile. "One of my own devising," he remarked, with a shrug, "Insomnia was too close of a friend for a while there." The fear that he'd slip back into obscurity the moment he closed his eyes. That he'd be returned to that timeless world with all its dangers that Darth Acharon Darth Acharon had pulled him from. Having visited the Nether several times since then, such a fear did not bother him so much these days.

Death was not the end, not if he had the strength of will to retain his mind in the aftermath.

Once inside the once-verdant courtyard, Arcturus was given the time to focus upon the one plant he sought to pluck from the garden of weeds and death. It was sat before him now, in a pot that could be easily moved, and he reached out a hand to touch the freshly blossomed bulb of one of its flowers. The scent reminded him of her, heck the sight of it did too, and though it was enough to torment him he could not leave it here to wilt away.

He owed her that much.

"Indeed," he replied, "I'll bring it with me, see if I can't keep the thing alive. The rest? Well... They weren't made for Korriban either way. A fruitless endeavour, though one which served its purpose at the time."

With a huff he found his feet, and then reached down to pick up the pot. A slight flourish of the Force made the act all the more effortless. "One more stop, I think. Unless there's somewhere you'd like to go?" This hadn't been Alisteri's Academy, but all the same he wouldn't keep the man from exploring. It belonged to the wastes now, after all.

"What have you been doing, by the way, since the fall? Have you been keeping well?" He'd been so wrapped up in his own haunting thoughts of this place, that he'd neglected to really ask.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri seemed to perk up a bit when the offer was given, but only gave a nod in reply. He didn't want to seem too eager after all. Keeping up appearances and all that. The abrasiveness comment did draw a laugh from him though. "Perhaps you should try wearing a mask, much easier to distance yourself that way." He joked, reaching up to tap a finger against his own mask.

The reveal that the oasis was a project of his caused the masked Sith a moment of pause in his stride as they walked, him giving his companion a look of surprise. "I hadn't taken you for a gardener." That information only made the state of the garden even more bitter to see.

He idly wondered how many more projects and works of the Sith would fall to ruin. It was a sobering thought.

He seemed satisfied by the answer, nodding in agreement as he cast another glance at the rest of the wilted and dead garden. It was pitiful and in need of help, but there was hardly anything left to save other than the plant Arcturus already had. The rest would simply have to be left to rot away under the harsh Korriban weather. More ruins for the ruin world. He mused with a shake of his head.

Alisteri inclined his head slightly as another stop was mentioned, his gaze returning to the other Sith as he offered a nod in response. "Lead the way, I hardly spent enough time in any academy to learn my way around."

The question brought him a moment of pause before he shrugged and gestured to the wilted garden. "Surviving mostly. The galaxy is a dangerous place for our kind in these times." His mind briefly wandered through his various meetings and adventures with his cult, all of which were intending to keep them alive. Thus far they were still alive and well, and he was content with his efforts. "I've been doing fine, whenever I can catch some rest here and there. Truthfully I think I've been just as busy now as I was before the fall." A light chuckle left him before he turned to one of the ruined walls.

"...I must admit though, the fate of our order has been weighing on my mind. Ever since the Sith, the true Sith anyhow, were shepherded back under the banner of the Worm...I fear that the familiar faces of the old order will bring ruin to this new one as well." By and large, in his opinion anyway, it was the leaders of the Sith Empire which had set the course for them having so many enemies. So many dead Sith later, and now some of those same leaders were back as if there was no consequence for their own failures.

It sickened him, but he chose not to mention his own reservations about trusting the Worm.

"Already they have been putting plans into motion, dispatching Sith across the galaxy as they consolidate within a hidden nebula." Alisteri's tone held a mixture of reverence and spite, an odd combination but one lace into every word. "When we were first recalled, they had the gall to arrive with fleets in tow. Fleets. Armies. Their powerbases were mostly still intact and ready to serve. It's as if the death of an empire and the end of an era hadn't impacted them at all."

He sighed and shook his head to clear the wrath from his voice. "Apologies. Seeing the state of this academy is just...it almost seems prophetic now."

ayd2DFB.png

"A mask?" the boy mused, with a grin, "But then I'd be denying everyone such a pretty sight." He batted his eyelashes, then shook his head. Truthfully, Arcturus was looking pretty chitty as of late. Sunken, exhausted, grotty. Clearly his statement had been uttered with some measure of loathing, but no matter.

Alisteri commented on his green thumb, and he shifted his head to glance at him. "I needed something productive to do when everyone else was asleep," he explained, "I walked the halls, then I stumbled upon this place. Imagine my surprise when one tiny speck of green had sprouted up."

His eyes fell over one of those now near-blackened plants, which wound its way up the walls of the courtyard. Heart sank for a moment to see it how it was now, but it was clear in what remained that it had once been a mighty thing, stood proud and reluctant against the Korriban backdrop. There had been a time when he'd seen himself in that plant, fighting to survive.

Well, perhaps he still did. Blackened and close to death...

With a wave of his hand the pot drifted from his hand and began to float alongside him as he led the way back into the Academy and this time set a path for the dormitories. Alisteri was close at hand, though in time as he fell deeper into his spoken thoughts he slowed and ground to a halt, turning to face one of the ruinous walls.

Arcturus paused alongside him.

"I feel like survival is all any of us can cling to as of late" he agreed, before talks turned far more sour. The other Sith seemed reluctant to speak on it at first, then he spoke more truths than Arcturus had expected. He found himself passively nodding along to it all, and somewhere amidst it all his hands balled into fists. Upon his shoulder, Tuus screeched quietly, demanding his attention, so he lifted a hand and fussed the creature behind its ear.

"You needn't apologize" he assured the other man, "After all, you speak truth. I'd rather that than more lies uttered into a ruin that stands as a testament to it all. It makes you wonder, did they want so many dead on their hands... Or were they simply, I don't know, entirely self-serving. More willing to hide behind their own defenses than use them to secure their victory and keep their people alive."

Thankfully, Arcturus had yet to come across any of his friends among the dead. That was... Pleasing. Not that it would have been easy to spot them regardless, it had been four years after all.

"Come on, we're almost done with this place. I'll be swift about it, I promise, then we can leave."

He led the way deeper into the Academy, before reaching the dorms. Finally he paused before a doorway he'd lingered outside of a great many times. Funnily enough he'd never entered though. No, she'd always come to his suite instead - more space. Reaching to his shoulder, he plucked down Tuus and offered the bat out to Alisteri. "You mind holding him while I head inside?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
A little insight into Arcturus here and there was a nice addition to the trip. Insomnia and keeping busy with projects was certainly something he could relate to, even if he would never admit it. Perhaps we can work on something together someday, something that will draw both sleep and inspiration for our benefit maybe.

The masked Sith was fairly eager to leave the garden, the sight of what could only have been a lost beauty did little to improve his mood. The ruins had soured it enough by themselves. Alisteri surprised himself with his momentary ranting, seeming taken aback by his own words for a few moments after he had spoken. Politics usually wasn't a topic he divulged in.

Maybe that was partially responsible for the little outburst in the first place, a buildup of passion and anger at the state of the Sith all culminated and shown by the very walls of the academy around them.

Were he more introspective he might have pondered on it.

His gaze narrowed at the ruin before him as if it had offended him, only offering a nod in response to the agreement. The Sith had survived countless years and centuries, but he couldn't help but think of what could have been achieved in all that time had they spent more time uniting and growing instead of merely surviving. Survival was key of course, but if it meant the death of their order then there wasn't much point in his mind.

Alisteri seemed to ponder what his friend said for a moment, he had shared that same concern even before the fall and had certainly revisited the thought many times since reconnecting with the Sith Order. "I suppose it matters little." His voice was quiet and low, much like a whisper at a funeral. A tone befitting the ruined academy. "Their intentions don't change the amount of blood that stains their hands." It was something that they would answer for in time, one way or another.

He did not allow himself to stew in such thoughts for much longer though, quick to continue following after Arcturus once again. "Of course, no need to dwell and become unwelcome guests here after all."

Arriving before a door, seemingly another dormitory or suite by his guess, he glanced at the other Sith as he offered the bat to him. There was a moment of hesitation before the masked man reached forward and carefully took Tuus, slightly fearful that the creature may try to attack him. Sithspawn did have a reputation for violence after all. With the bat in his hold for the time being he gestured to the door with a nod. "Do feel free to take your time, no need to rush on my account."

He had no idea what lay on the other side nor why Arcturus would want inside, but he wasn't about to ask any questions. "We'll just wait right out here for you, won't we little one?" Alisteri turned his gaze to the bat, both to address it and to not peek into the room unwarranted.

ayd2DFB.png

"No," he stated of the Sith's intentions, and the blood they'd shed, "It doesn't change a thing."

They were quiet for the remainder of their journey through the hall, until they came upon the room; therein he handed off the bat and approached the door quietly. Tuus seemed rather eager to inspect his new handler, his little nose was twitching up a storm and his ears flicked this way and that as Alisteri spoke to him.

With a soft exhale, Arcturus opened the door to Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn 's dormitory and stepped inside. It was dark, but that didn't stop him from seeing through the inky abyss thanks to the ring upon his finger. It was a simple enough set up, a bed, desk, and closet. Nothing to write home about. No wonder she was so often at his suite, where there were real amenities.

He did a quick once over of the place, and found little to be desired within it. Clearly the woman had seen fit to take all of the important things, and naught but silly little trinkets remained. All the same, he took up one of them - a simple silver ring - and pocketed it.

Then he turned to leave again. As the door opened though something flew past it out in the hallway, in front of Alisteri and Tuus even. Arcturus reached for his throwing knife as he stepped out, only to find a mass of white feathers tumbling down upon him. A familiar presence washed over the boy, and he exhaled a laugh.

"Chaos, what is it... Reunion day at the zoo?" With any luck his laughter would keep Alisteri from drawing his blade, or at the very least from attacking the snow owl which now settled upon Arcturus' outstretched arm. "What are you doing here, Nephthys? Shouldn't you be with Ishani?"

The boy shook his head.

"Looks like Tuus wasn't the only one left behind. Alright, come on... Party in my ship, I guess..."

His eyes fell back over to Alisteri, and he offered out a hand to take back the bat if he was done with him. "There wasn't really much to find in there" he admitted, with a shrug, "Sorry for wasting your time. Come on, I can't stand the sight of this place any longer..."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
As grim a reminder of the dead that the subject was, Alisteri took some comfort in the fact that they were in agreement. Now more than ever it was imperative for the Sith to agree, lest the galaxy plunge them all into an early grave.

He didn't watch Arcturus enter the room, more preoccupied with inspecting Tuus as the bat returned the favor. It was a curious one and thankfully seemed to be fairly friendly. To him at least. He had little doubt that to an enemy, the creature in his hands would be a terrifying foe. "Perhaps I should learn to craft some of you myself. I'm sure my Blooded wouldn't mind sharing food with such delightful Sithspawn." Alisteri muttered as he ran his gaze over the wings of the bat.

His inspection was interrupted however, both him and Tuus being startled as something fast and feathered suddenly flew into the hallway. Out of instinct he nearly dropped the bat in his hand to draw his lightsaber but the laughter of his fellow Sith stopped him. The tension left him as he watched the owl land on Arcturus's arm, a sigh of relief escaping as he glanced down at Tuus to ensure he hadn't harmed the Sithspawn.

The name Ishani didn't ring any bells, assumedly one of the Sith's other companions if he had to guess. "You have pets galore it seems." Alisteri noted with an amused tone. The masked man didn't hesitate to hand Tuus back to his master, casting a glance at the doorway before nodding. "Given the state of the place I doubted that there would be. But the trip wasn't a total waste."

He gestured to the two flying creatures and the plant. "Now you'll have some company on your ship."

It hadn't been a waste for himself either of course, the books in his possession not soon forgotten. Alisteri didn't intend to allow them to collect dust on his shelf either. They would be a gift that was most certainly used. "Besides, if it weren't for you I'd never have gotten to enjoy the Korriban Academy before it fell into further ruin."

In that same manner however, he wasn't about to draw out their visit any longer. "Let us return to our vessels then. If you wouldn't mind leading the way...I can't quite remember which turns lead back outside."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom